how's it going, what's up in your life, and who are all these people

Holy shit. Everyone's coming back from the dead.

1.) really good.
2.) i am playing hordes of dota so i can play it semi professionally and make $$ while running middleware trading communities in TF2 while getting my associates in Graphic Design! then im off to Digipen for a BA in Computer Science & Game Design!
3.) all these people are your friends!

What is up?
Shieeeeet, sup dude! You still making awesome music? I still have the Winter in Sweden album you posted here once. Still listen to it fairly often.

EDIT: I think that was you. Its been so long though that I'm not sure now, and I can't find anything in search to confirm/disprove it.

Fulltime job, partner, all the real life things. Being a nerd is next to impossible when you're responsible for personnel management or essentially a floor manager. Too much shit on my mind after work, too much responsibility, too many people I have to babysit. Seriously considering learning something like RMT. That, or an editing diploma.

Sulk, I'm glad to see that at least one person who studied English gets to do something related to it!

Also, officially no one in NA is allowed to complain about rent prices unless you live in Vancouver or NY.

You moved to knowingly make at least 10k less krynn? I know you probably explained it back when you did it but what's up with that?

Also, officially no one in NA is are allowed to complain about rent prices unless you live in Vancouver or NY.

you could not be more right about this.

i live in nassau county new york, which is a stone's throw from NYC. cant wait to get out to Seattle because not only rent, but cost of living is so ****ing high its insanity.

pack of cigarettes alone is $12

It's literally not even a 1BR. My bed is less than 3ft from the door to my apartment. My "bedroom" is the half of the living room sitting to the left of the bathroom, the other half has my PC + desk + couch + cat tower. That said, my heat is water-based, and the building's rent includes water, so all I really pay for out-of-pocket is the electricity for my PC and overhead lights, and the gas for my oven. And my internet, and my cellphone, and cat food and litter, and cat toys every month or so as they destroy them...

It's not bad by any means, don't get me wrong. For just myself, this is perfect, because I don't need anything beyond a kitchen, a toilet+shower, and enough space for my bed and my PC. It's just the cats that require a bigger living space, I just want to make them happy.

Hopefully you find a better place soon, having your heat skyrocket when someone takes a shower or flushes the toilet sounds really shitty. My heat doesn't act like that, but on the other hand, it's physically perma-on when the building decides it's time to make everything warm, and Sept 1st is not typically the date when Toronto starts freezing.

Oh, wow. That sounds like a studio. That's good you have all the traditional stuff included. Everywhere in Chicago usually covers water, but I've had to pay for cooking gas the last two years. Not like it's that bad of a bill though.

I've already signed for a new place. It's a condo unit being rented out by a private owner, so no more leasing agency bs. Way better up kept than my current place. Moving in Sept. 1st. On-site parking as well (I despise street parking with a ****ing passion, so a private lot is awesome).

If you ever find yourself going through an urban area in the Fall/Spring while seeing all of the older residential buildings with the windows open, it's because they have radiator heat still on and the weather decided to go bipolar that week.

You moved to knowingly make at least 10k less krynn? I know you probably explained it back when you did it but what's up with that?
Got laid-off from the good paying job when they axed the whole department. Spent almost 2 years on unemployment trying to find a decent job before settling for this.

Also, officially no one in NA is are allowed to complain about rent prices unless you live in Vancouver or NY.

Yeah, but the typical minimum wage in Canada is like $3 more per hour than most places in the US. In fact, the lowest minimum wage in Canada as far as I can tell is still higher than the highest minimum wage in the US, even adjusting for exchange rates. Also it'd be more accurate to compare Boston to Vancouver. New York blows them both out of the water. Average rent in Vancouver is apparently $1300 USD, and NYC averages at $2800.

But yeah, **** big cities.

Yeah, but the typical minimum wage in Canada is like $3 more per hour than most places in the US. In fact, the lowest minimum wage in Canada as far as I can tell is still higher than the highest minimum wage in the US, even adjusting for exchange rates. Also it'd be more accurate to compare Boston to Vancouver. New York blows them both out of the water. Average rent in Vancouver is apparently $1300 USD, and NYC averages at $2800.
Cost of food, booze, and gas is higher in Canada, evening out the minimum wage disparity. Also, $1300 gets you a basement dwelling with 1 room, in my experience. Depends on where in town, of course, but it's pretty unsustainable. Living wage is about $24 an hour here.

Jeez, thats ridiculous. Why do you do that to yourself?

Place was a lot cheaper when my parents settled here in the 70s. Still living with them: everyone in my life lives here. Will move out eventually, but at the moment I'm working on building up as much job experience as I can.

Shieeeeet, sup dude! You still making awesome music? I still have the Winter in Sweden album you posted here once. Still listen to it fairly often.:

EDIT: I think that was you. Its been so long though that I'm not sure now, and I can't find anything in search to confirm/disprove it.
Wasn't that "CrazyHarij"?

Ok, nevermind then. Call me when that dude comes back :p

Dang, hi persons.

I guess this is the living situation thread now? I'm getting kicked out of my current place after november, which I'm not too cut up about since I wasn't too attached to it anyway and that'll allow me to at least finish the year's study before moving again. Probably shift back home over the break and find another place next year (I hate flat hunting but I'll just try not to think about it too much until then). I'm more annoyed that some french exchange student moved in here for like 2 months and then went back to france without anyone ever getting him to sign on the lease, so now he's not culpable at all and we'll have to make up his rent for the rest of the term. Not as though we're going to find anyone to take his place until november, either.

People often revile social media for its binary, corporate-controlled 'likes', which reduce all feeling, preference, expression and thankfulness into a simple symbol, a checkbox, perfect for assimilation by idea-counting machine algorithms which, given this reduced form of data, can knit instant personalities for us which they can then sell to advertisers. It is the perfect symbol of the capitalist quantified self, not as emancipatory libertarian life hack but as an electronic eye you cannot escape and in whose sight everything is reduced to the shallow platitude of an advertising slogan.

Of course, social media isn't actually shallow; its game systems might be simple enough but that's because they're designed to be operated by people with complicated feelings and thoughts. The yes/no of a Twitter favourite or a Facebook like is merely used as a tool to signify shifts in the messy intricacy of actual human relationships, and is thereby pervaded by that mess (of course both tools are really more like 'Yes/blank' - arguably another way in which they try to - note TRY to - enforce a non-critical, safe reality).

And that's one reason I'm very glad for 'likes'. Their very shallowness and simplicity can be a real mercy in these busy, spoon-poor times. They allow us to express a simple gratitude - "thanks, I appreciate that" - without having to summon up ourselves to make some impressive and wordy contribution. Hence I just 'liked' a buncha posts on hl2.net. Thanks folx

I find it kind of interesting that with special interest forums dwindling, large, private, heavily moderated forums like Something Awful and Neogaf are still thriving. I guess people appreciate (some level of) quality control.

Yeah - well, corporate social media tends to give people the controls to try and quality control their own streams, but Twitter's system means any old arsehole can 'break into' your timeline and Facebook's closeness to the real world means you're probably not going to have a totally and perfectly curated friend circle.

But I think this is also a shared culture thing: forums big enough to retain a strong shared culture and corporate identity tend to retain the loyalty of their users, I guess (and for Something Awful, it probably helps that you pay in). FYI I curiously went and see if Neogaf required anything for registration and the first thread I clicked on was about this video

PS

Badgerbadger said:
What is up?
WHOAH HI

Posting in this thread makes me feel awkward for a number of reasons that are probably known to more people than I expect...but things are okay.
I understand, and I am sorry, and I am glad
Congrats on your career though! When you say "freelance games writing", you mean writing plots for the games themselves, or journalism about games? If the former, which ones? And what parts of the US did you visit?
Thanks! The latter. Check my Twitter account for blog link though I've written various other stuff for Actual Publications. I did make a Twine game but only my dad is allowed to see it. Ohio mostly, Pennsylvania and New York City.

Don't be sorry, being sorry is for nerds. You're not a nerd, are you?

er... *looks nervously around at halflife2.net* noo...

(I mean I'm sorry to hear you've had a shit time; it is not nice to leave one's adolescence and immediately step on a mine)

I still lurk around here every now and again. I'm about to start my second to last semester (CS), and I spent the summer in Omaha for an internship. Also, the 2 bedroom apartment I share with a couple friends in northern California is $900 a month with water/sewer/garbage included, since we seem to be on that subject.

Nothing has changed
Most people here are still pathetic nerds and the mods are still bitchmade fagqots

Nothing has changed
Most people here are still pathetic nerds and I am still a bitchmade fagqot.

Aww come on man, chin up! Don't talk about yourself like that.

-long ass rant about likes being shallow, etc-
And that's one reason I'm very glad for 'likes'. Their very shallowness and simplicity can be a real mercy in these busy, spoon-poortimes. They allow us to express a simple gratitude - "thanks, I appreciate that" - without having to summon up ourselves to make some impressive and wordy contribution. Hence I just 'liked' a buncha posts on hl2.net. Thanks folx

You should have seen what it was like before we changed the system not too long ago. Sometime after ValveTime rolled out we had Likes AND Dislikes, now we just have a bunch of positive ones because of...incidents.

Many...many incidents.

Involving turtles.

Well, I guess I should post as well. Hi everyone!

Let's see.. I'm getting married in 22 days. I've almost finally got a full time job, but it's in a career (support technician for a bank) I don't want to do. Like someone else said, computers are my hobby, not my career. I've been looking into the culinary arts and have been seriously debating on changing paths completely. I still only have like 20 college credits to my name, and I don't know if I'll ever finish that out. Guitar/piano playing is still the same as it was when I joined which is bare minimum. Speaking of which, I need to learn these instruments or I'm going to start kicking people in the face... which leads me oddly to this... I've been taking anti-depressants for the past 4 months, and my life has never been better. It's amazing the difference I feel and notice. I'm a much happier, less sadistic, just as crazy, much friendlier, and better overall human than I was even last year.

Also, hi Dave! :D

Fulltime job, partner, all the real life things. Being a nerd is next to impossible when you're responsible for personnel management or essentially a floor manager. Too much shit on my mind after work, too much responsibility, too many people I have to babysit. Seriously considering learning something like RMT. That, or an editing diploma.

Sulk, I'm glad to see that at least one person who studied English gets to do something related to it!

Also, officially no one in NA is allowed to complain about rent prices unless you live in Vancouver or NY.

LA westwood, 1300 for studio.

**** my life

lol so I heard Munro finally left.

What a perfect time to make a comeback that I will forget about once I sober up.

Wow, so many old members coming back to life. I don't get it, does everyone just lurk and wait for one old member to post before coming back or what?

Wow, so many old members coming back to life. I don't get it, does everyone just lurk and wait for one old member to post before coming back or what?

♥ ~ fate brought them together ~ ♥

It's borderline creepy how many old members are making appearances. What's even more creepy is the way they're talking about "coming back for a visit" like they took an 8 hour plane ride and 3 trains to get here. You type the address into the search bar and you're here. If it's that hard for you to "stop by and say hi" to members of this forums you've known for 10 years then piss off no one wants you here anyway.

excuse my bitterness I'm at work and grinding my teeth.

It's borderline creepy how many old members are making appearances. What's even more creepy is the way they're talking about "coming back for a visit" like they took an 8 hour plane ride and 3 trains to get here. You type the address into the search bar and you're here. If it's that hard for you to "stop by and say hi" to members of this forums you've known for 10 years then piss off no one wants you here anyway.

Sorry, can't stay, need to pick the kids up from school in Antarctica.

It's borderline hilarious how mad you are. lol get ****ed kid

It's borderline hilarious how mad you are. lol get ****ed kid
Firstly, I'm not mad at all. Mad would imply that I have some sort of emotion towards this subject. I don't. I just find it ridiculous that people are coming in acting like it took more than 25 seconds to post in here like the reason they left is because it was a burden to be a member here. Also, the fact that you're a 10 year vet but I literally have no idea who you are makes your comment irrelevant.

Is it just me or is shit unnecessarily hostile up in the Off-Topic Forums tonight?

Back