Hydra?

SsmitzZ

Reaction score
i havent played half life 2 yet i played through the original and loved it im addicted im waiting for my dad to update my comp so i may play :) iv seen all the videos and it looks impressive but i loved the look of the hydra .. then i herd it was taken out of the game... iv posted along time ago about dis but no 1 seemed to answer perhaps now i can get some answers... did they realy take the hydra out and if so why also : are there ichtysours in the game at all? :devil:

They took them out because they weren't working properly. More time was needed to tweak the AI and such, but it came to a point where the hydra was just too frustrating for Valve to include in the game.

Or so I hear.

I suggest playing Half-Life 2 before asking more questions...

You see the itchyosaurus once in a "cutscene", but you don't fight it and you don't see it anywhere in the rest of the game.

ty for your answers perhaps they may of worked on the hydra a little more and may add it into aftermath :) far out it looked realy good

And also, the guys at Valve all thought it looked cool when u were standing off to the side watching it attack someones else, but they also agreed that it wasn't very fun to play against.

Thank you for no one being unhelpful and stupid and screeching "USE TEH SEARCH OLOLOLO".

No hydra or ichthyosaur, but perhaps in Aftermath, and RomeoJGuy's working on a HydraMod.

Message from Munro:

Please don't post nonsense comments in threads. Repeat offences will result in your post count being reset.

The hyrdra was too hard to fight. From what I've heard, you basically saw a blob it lunges at you, and your dead. No time to dodge, run or get away. It was just too powerful. Think of the tentacles in Hl1's silo, but on crack. Faster,meaner, stronger.

r2000 said:
The hyrdra was too hard to fight. From what I've heard, you basically saw a blob it lunges at you, and your dead. No time to dodge, run or get away. It was just too powerful. Think of the tentacles in Hl1's silo, but on crack. Faster,meaner, stronger.
and it was smaller

They should make fighting the hydra something like fighting the tentacles in Blast Pit... i.e. you don't fight it directly but you have to avoid it while trying to use the environment to blow it up.

Arden said:
They should make fighting the hydra something like fighting the tentacles in Blast Pit... i.e. you don't fight it directly but you have to avoid it while trying to use the environment to blow it up.
but the hydra was a completly different design, plus everyone would be all "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt."

They took them out because they weren't working properly. More time was needed to tweak the AI and such, but it came to a point where the hydra was just too frustrating for Valve to include in the game.
It was working properly, very fine, had a programmer work 6 months on the AI. It was just that...it was no fun and no real place to imbue it into the game. Though maybe if you get out into the water to far they could of had it come and kill you :).

I thought there was already supposed to be a creature that kills you in the water? I never swam out far enough to test this..

Maggots attack you when you go too far out. Remember those little buggers from HL1? They came back with a vengence.

I bet that if ID and Carmack would try they would not let us down, i think if valve just would focus on it because it would be the coolest monster in a pc game ever but nah they gave up to easy IMO.

I think they should have put the ichoyasaurs (sp?) in the water and they should have eaten you instead of leeches.

Yeah, but we all know the reason they put leeches in there was to stop you exposing the fact the sea was just a space filler.

At least Valve put some fish in de-inferno - how come they couldn't do what Crytek did and put sharks and fish in the water too?

Heh, let's just have a pop at Valve - afterall they did deliver a cracking AAA title :)

Milkman said:
Maggots attack you when you go too far out. Remember those little buggers from HL1? They came back with a vengence.

Technically it's environmental damage - just being in the water with the maggots means that you get 133+h4x0r pwn3d.

I noticed that if you fall into the water in CS:S (on de-port) you also drown...you'd think that CTs could swim.

Wouldn't be a requirement if you are trained for years on end to combat terrorist in every possible enviroment to swim? :) I do think, though, that you should visit a Navy shipyard that got drained and attacked. That would be awesome.

Dag said:
Wouldn't be a requirement if you are trained for years on end to combat terrorist in every possible enviroment to swim? :) I do think, though, that you should visit a Navy shipyard that got drained and attacked. That would be awesome.

Well, you have to understand, that the body armor they use today isn't just kevlar as everybody thinks. It's layers of Nylon and kevlar, with a ceramic plate between the layers. Like this:

[]=Ceramic, |=Nylon/Kevlar

||||[]||||

Now some soldiers chose not to use the Ceramic plate, as the stand alone Kevlar/Nylon vest is still good at deflecting small arms fire, but since in CS:S we don't get the option to remove the Ceramic plate, I would assume that it's there by default.

Now lets strap a bullet resistant vest and a kevlar helmet to you, give you a 92F and 3 magazines of ammo for it, an M4a1 with silencer and 5 more magazines for it, a couple of m69's, a few Flashbangs, and a a toolkit. Don't forget that your standard fatigue alone includes gogles, a headset mic, a radio, your leather boots, knee pads, elbow pads, and if you're not using a kevlar helmet, then a hockey or skateboard helmet.

Now you go jump in the drink and try to swim laps.

sinkoman said:
Well, you have to understand, that the body armor they use today isn't just kevlar as everybody thinks. It's layers of Nylon and kevlar, with a ceramic plate between the layers. Like this:

||||[]||||

Now some soldiers chose not to use the Ceramic plate, as the stand alone Kevlar/Nylon vest is still good at deflecting small arms fire, but since in CS:S we don't get the option to remove the Ceramic plate, I would assume that it's there by default.

Now lets strap a bullet resistant vest and a kevlar helmet to you, give you a 92F and 3 magazines of ammo for it, an M4a1 with silencer and 5 more magazines for it, a couple of m69's, a few Flashbangs, and a a toolkit. Don't forget that your standard fatigue alone includes gogles, a headset mic, a radio, your leather boots, knee pads, elbow pads, and if you're not using a kevlar helmet, then a hockey or skateboard helmet.

Or just try to jump.

sinkoman said:

||||[]||||

You can still swim. But not easily. Basically, you flounder around, or swim really slowly. Come on, SF guys have a 100 m swim, with combat gear. Marines have a 25 m swim with combat gear and weapon.

well u dient stik to the topic but atleast its still interesting

The game with hydra is HL2 demo, Not the real HL2.

And belive HL2 demo s*cks ass!!

Salad22 said:
The game with hydra is HL2 demo, Not the real HL2.

And belive HL2 demo s*cks ass!!

No, it was a leaked alpha. Completely different.

Back