I can't stop playing random old games. Help.

Steel.Inferno

Reaction score
Recently I have been constantly playing old/oldish games, sometimes not even good, properly nostalgic ones.

Tonight I played House of the Dead 1 and 2, losing in both games to the same boss. It can't be some sort of nostalgia, because I've never even played them before now, I was too much of a wuss. Those are both arcade rail shooters ported to PC, that you would normally have those plastic guns for. Last week I played Metal Slug (hence the avatar), Quake 2, before that some lucasarts games... The entire space quest series in one sitting was rather fun, dark forces, maniac mansion... A week before that I spent atleast 6 hours trying to get Gauntlet Legends to work, which isn't possible because of its special coding, according to the internets.

On Friday and Saturday I got halfway through Goldeneye and played a few rounds of Super Smash Bros against the AI on Project64. Next week, me and my brother are thinking of beating Icewind Dale as practice, then Icewind Dale 2 and the entire Baldur's Gate series.

I actually considered resubscribing to WoW not two hours ago. That game ruined my life for 2-3 months when I actually tried to play it during school. I was actually, genuinely good at FPSes before buying WoW. I had to drop Spanish so I didn't fail it and ruin my GPA. Of course my spanish teacher was a complete twat too (my official excuse), we 'learned' Quichua and made clay bowls for a month ffs...

Is it my subconscious telling me the current "new" games I currently play are utter shit? (CSS, CoD2, and CoH, besides these older things) Am I trying not to let go of my gaming childhood? Am I sad because I'm switching to a new computer after 3 years on the same one? Is having lots of caffiene and sugar right before you try to go to sleep a bad idea? Am I posting to myself on a half life forum in an evolution of talking and writing notes to myself.?

This turned out to be a complete rant, sorry...

In exchange for the past 1-3 minutes of your life back, here have a pile of cookies.

gallery-msg-1132820220-2.jpg

First time I ever saw an OP de-rail his own thread in the first post...

I can't stop either. Doesn't mean the new ones are bad, just not as good. :cheese:

Why would you want to stop? Those games are entirely fantastic! I've been playing through DK2, JA2:UB:SOG'69 and I'm seriously reconsidering going through UT again. Practically all I do in my free periods at school is play Super Smash Bros on project 64 or street fighter 2 on gens!

You haven't played enough Golden Axe, Dune II, or DooM, tbh.

the only games I play are more are oldish ones...I'm playing through jedi knight II outcast again...sweet game

Its not that you are playing all the old games, your playing all the good ones.

99% of the games released each year suck. So each new year there is only one, or maybe 2, good games. However, there is a reserve of good games from past years, tried and true.

Enjoy!

Back