I'm fed up with religion. /rant

But with 1.5 - 2.0 billion practitioners, you are taking up the same type of attitude of those people who distrust all Muslims based on an extremely small minority of the whole.

I mean, as much as you'd love to believe it(and you might) that all of them are like that crazy ass lady from Trading Spouses, they're not.

They're not as crazy, but it is my opinion that simply having religious belief is grounds for being intellectually devoid.

I disagree.

When you look at the evidence there are many people who have been religious, though are great thinkers and practitioners of various sciences and mathematical pursuits.

But with 1.5 - 2.0 billion practitioners, you are taking up the same type of attitude of those people who distrust all Muslims based on an extremely small minority of the whole.

I mean, as much as you'd love to believe it(and you might) that all of them are like that crazy ass lady from Trading Spouses, they're not.

Appeal to the majority ammirite?

Well... I mean you have to think intelligently and use logic that just because a person is religious, doesn't mean they are inherently unintelligent.

For example... the guy who first proposed the Big Bang theory, was a priest!

Just because they're intelligent doesn't mean they can't be suffering from a counterproductive societal delusion.

there's religious people who believe every single word of their respective bibles and then there's religious people who understand that their bible is mostly quaint little stories meant to frighten children with some truth thrown in every now and then. Personally I see one sub group as being intrinsically ignorant and the other subgroup as being in denial

All I'm saying is that simply because a person is religious, does not mean they lack the intelligence to go out and accomplish feats and studies that the world would recognize as great intellectual advancement that can even have the potential to change the scientific world for the better.

History is chock full of famous scientists of Christian, Jewish, and Muslim faiths that have contributed a lot to the development of science over the centuries. And not bogus pseudosciences either, but genuine hard sciences that are taught today.

All I'm saying is that simply because a person is religious, does not mean they lack the intelligence to go out and accomplish feats and studies that the world would recognize as great intellectual advancement that can even have the potential to change the scientific world for the better.

True, but I feel anyone in such a position should be scrutinized about their beliefs, because I truly do correlate genuine intelligence with religious belief. Though, that's not to say that all religious people are dumb, and all atheists are brilliant. I just think a person has some serious issues if they're religious.

Joe Rogan:

"*impersonating a Muslim fundamentalist*It's 2008 and I'm dressed like a genie, dude, what the ****? I have the internet but dancing is illegal." :LOL:

But seriously. It's the year 2008 and people still believe in gods? Really?

I think you mean that they're in denial of the fact that there is no basis of truth to their religion.
picture.php

well "any" can mean "no" except not so much ..I just didnt want to be that confrontational by saying there's no truth when there is some truth ..but it's universal truth in there; like the sky is blue or night precedes morning

I just don't think everything in the bible is completely accurate, nor is it all meant to be taken seriously. These people who take every single word as the most utter and complete truth is just stupid... and ignorant, as you say.

the thing is that jesus wanted people to take the bible verbatim ..even the crazy passages in the OT

I never thought I'd say this before, but...

way to go Samon! :thumbs: Haha.

So you saying you have never respected his comments before? I think that deserves and infraction Simon :)

Why do athiests use the Gregorian calendar?

(not a joke btw)

If you want to rant about a dangerous religion, go attack scientology.

Think about it. Is there any reference to their religion in the game? No. So why bring it up?

actually there is; in episode 1 when you are talking to eli and kleiner at the very begining
before you enter the citadel, just before alyx shuts off the comms machine eli says to alyx "i'll be praying for you.
what you gonna say to that?

That its a generic phrase and people who arent even religeous say it some times , for example "For the love of all thats holy i hope Alyxvance gets banned" or "I pray to god Alyxvance gets banned".

On a related topic well done destroying a perfectly good thread.

I'll be sure to tell our reverend to pray for you to get banned, alyxvance.

Shut up u Fu**ers

and i dont get whats to stop me from just starting a new account???

and i dont get whats to stop me from just starting a new account???

Oh, nothing. But it takes me less than a minute of my time to ban you. It takes more effort on your half to make another account. Which again, will be banned.

However, why is it the cynic's job to disprove God? Why is it not a theist's job to prove (and really prove) his or her beliefs?
Because it is a philosophical issue and not a scientific one.

/thread

Yes, I really hate that just because a small amount of people claiming to be Muslims start killing other people. One day, one of the mosques I go to had all of it's windows broken and it had "Go back to Sandville, you Muslim ******s." spraypainted across the front. I mean, I'm Muslim but I don't think about bombing or killing people every single day of my life. I'm basically targeted as a turban wearing extremist because of my beliefs. In Islam, even killing one man gives you as much sins as killing all of mankind. Those people in Al Qaeda and other extremist groups do not deserve to be called Muslim or even religious because of what they do.
I'll leave you to think about what they spraypainted.

You guys do realise anybody can make a religeon right? That means no matter how insane some one may be they can create one and it HAS to be respected by politicians / police etc as long as it doesnt violate any laws.

ok, tl;dr (first post and whole thread)

Shut the **** up and let people think what they want, and only argue with someone when they question your religious beliefs, otherwise stop telling people how to live their lives and let them think whatever they want. Stop being a self-righteous douche bag, thinking your always right about everything.

For the record I'm an Atheist, but I still respect other peoples decision to believe in God(s). But if they come up to me telling me I'm going to hell or something like that for NOT believing, I'll punch them right in their bible-thumping throat. Like-wise, if I went up to a religious person and for no reason told them God doesn't exist, blah blah, I'd expect them to punch me in my throat.

EDIT: Wow, I read the thread, and realized alot of you guys are retards.. Raziaar is really the only one making sense in here.

Shut the **** up and let people think what they want, and only argue with someone when they question your religious beliefs, otherwise stop telling people how to live their lives and let them think whatever they want. Stop being a self-righteous douche bag, thinking your always right about everything.

For the record I'm an Atheist, but I still respect other peoples decision to believe in God(s). But if they come up to me telling me I'm going to hell or something like that for NOT believing, I'll punch them right in their bible-thumping throat. Like-wise, if I went up to a religious person and for no reason told them God doesn't exist, blah blah, I'd expect them to punch me in my throat.

EDIT: Wow, I read the thread, and realized alot of you guys are retards.. Raziaar is really the only one making sense in here.

I agree with everything you said. I respect peoples right to believe in whatever they want to, just don't go attacking others who do not share the same belief as you.

why would you capitalise the "g" in "god" if you're an atheist? perhaps atheism is just a cover, perhaps you are really a religios person fearing persecution/ridicule for your beliefs?

he's an imposter! rush him boys!

invasion23.jpg

damn I wish this were true, I want to point in horror at the religious too

He captilised the "g" because it's a name! Were you never taught to spell names with capital letters when you were at primary school, Stern??!!!

Somewhere in the Heathens above, the dyslexic Dog God weeps.

^^ needs more weeping dog

Iron Kat said:
He captilised the "g" because it's a name! Were you never taught to spell names with capital letters when you were at primary school, Stern??!!!

his name is yahweh not god. god as a name is like calling someone human as their proper name

I'm CptHuman, pleased to meet you

Back