Infamous or Prototype?

Infamous or Prototype

• Infamous

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Prototype

Votes: 60 70.6%

• Total voters
I don't think this argument is really going to go anywhere. I think we can all agree that Prototype has flaws which can be fixed or improved in the second one, but whether or not we take these flaws into account determines whether or not we like the game.

Yeah it looks that way. I think i've already said this in the thread but just to reiterate, rent the games first before you buy them.

I usually check out metacritic before buying games anyway. That helps a lot.

Anyways, about the game.

I was confused on a reoccurring flashback you had when you would consume people.

It would show a boy with his family at the beach with his hands in the water, but he was drowning a small animal.
Another scene showed the boy standing next to a dead dog.

At some point the soldier in the flashback says like "exhibits psychopathic behavior blah blah blah"

Was that boy supposed to be Alex Mercer, Black Watch Soldiers as children, or someone they experimented on in Idaho?

Your position is ludicrous. Everything has a responsibility to be as good as it can be; there can truly be no excuse for aiming for anything less, and you are claiming Prototype did just that.

I've seen it in action, having both watched several gameplay trailers and my friend play it on his 360. I think that should be sufficient for anyone to gather what Prototype is, and what it stands for.
You should really just try playing Prototype without pretending that it "should" be something it's not, because this is the critical flaw in your position. Everything you've said is academically correct, but like any good essay, the playing of games also involves an aspect of emotionality and human response. In Prototype's case, this would involve actually playing the game before you plant a big rubber "SHIT" stamp all over it.

my standards, my precious standards

[edit] the npcs have blurry faces and the main character's voice actor isn't very good, **** this game

[edit 2] when I flawlessly hijacked that helicopter with my whiparm, crashed it into a tank and surfed some dude's body down the street, I noticied that the buildings all have muddy textures. If only I was there during development to point this obvious discrepancy out, then this game would have been perfect and I would have been hailed as a genius. Sadly, I must discard it into the street like some wet cloth, for my standardshdahjsdjafd

Your position is ludicrous. Everything has a responsibility to be as good as it can be; there can truly be no excuse for aiming for anything less, and you are claiming Prototype did just that.

Define good. The developers were aiming to make a fun game. Thats all. They weren't aiming to make a game with a story that would be hailed as being even better than the second coming of Christ. They weren't aiming to make the most aesthetically beautiful game ever created. No. They were aiming to make a game where you could have fun by simply causing mayhem as a supernatural shapeshifter. What plot there is to be had is simply there to explain the scenario and allow players to suspend disbelief only enough to enjoy the game but without hindering the action.

Frankly your "standards" are starting to irritate me. I've begun to think that perhaps you have confused the idea of standards with the idea of taste. It seems that a lot of movies or games that you claim to not meet your standards, simply do not appeal to your taste. Granted, standards are part of what makes up one's taste, but I am beginning to think that you have completely confused the two, to the point where you can only possibly comprehend works as to be aspiring to be in your taste.

We're still friends right? <3

Define good. The developers were aiming to make a fun game. Thats all. They weren't aiming to make a game with a story that would be hailed as being even better than the second coming of Christ. They weren't aiming to make the most aesthetically beautiful game ever created. No. They were aiming to make a game where you could have fun by simply causing mayhem as a supernatural shapeshifter. What plot there is to be had is simply there to explain the scenario and allow players to suspend disbelief only enough to enjoy the game but without hindering the action.

it sounds to me like they made a half assed game really quick. just a big money maker. if you look in most stores the game dropped to $40 all ready and thats a sign it wasn't a big hit or people stopped buying it

it sounds to me like they made a half assed game really quick. just a big money maker. if you look in most stores the game dropped to $40 all ready and thats a sign it wasn't a big hit or people stopped buying it

Its still 50-60 dollars in every store i have checked. And even if that were the case, it doesnt make any kind of statement about the game.

Its still sold 600,000 copies so far anyways.

it sounds to me like they made a half assed game really quick. just a big money maker.

I see, so in your book a game that focuses on fun and not fancy graphics and story is half assed? Pardon me while I go laugh my guts out.
High quality graphics were sacrificed so you could have hundreds of enemies on screen with explosions and stuff flying all over the place. I remember a few years ago when Doom 3 was just released, people were complaining why did Id sacrifice enemy count for graphics. You can't have it both ways, not yet anyway. It seems whatever you do you can't please everyone.

my standards, my precious standards

when I flawlessly hijacked that helicopter with my whiparm, crashed it into a tank and surfed some dude's body down the street...

This is why Samon doesn't like it. He'd rather be all "when I flawlessly hijacked the that helicopter and then the pilot and I sat down to sip some mulled wine while discussing existentialism."

Holy crap.. This is one of those threads where I'd least expect the legendary Pi to make an appearance!

It's awesome fun, Who gives about graphics, i dont take time to look when i'm flying through the city.

Look the point is that I am trying to make is that it is to repetitive for me. If you want a game that involves mindless killing over and over again then you will like it. If you perhaps are want something MORE then it is not for you.

This is why Samon doesn't like it. He'd rather be all "when I flawlessly hijacked the that helicopter and then the pilot and I sat down to sip some mulled wine while discussing existentialism."

I laughed quite a lot.

I agree with Samon, this game is horrible!

I also have no idea why people enjoy games like Pac Man, or space invaders. I mean, their graphics are terrible, they have NO STORY (I mean, when the hell do they explain why the Pac Man can eat ghosts? What IS a Pac Man, and what are his motivations for eating all those pills? Is he sad? Is he trying to OD? Are the ghosts his secret burden that haunt him throughtout his life?).

They also have like no multiplayer (I refuse this whole "pass the controller" BS) And it is clear that they put like zero effort in the game. Every level is the same, the gameplay consists solely of the same mechanics over and over again, yet the mindless masses claim they are awesome games! These games clearly cater to the lowest common denominator, who would rather have "fun" than a well crafted storyline. I mean, if games don't give us that, what will? Games are all about stories, which is why the MGS games are AWESOME! The only thing I wish they'd change are those annoying parts where I have to play to get to the next cutscene. Hopefully that will be fixed in MGS25 : White Snake Patriot Eater Gas

Don't even get me started on Tetris or sports...

I disagree Rico, games today should be held to no higher standards than games almost 30 years old.

But the reason games are fun is because they have great stories. I mean, I don't play a game to have fun... I play them to get to know the characters and maybe hopefully get to know their parents, and possibly help them with their emotional problems down the line only to find out that I'm in the "friends zone" and that they want to just be friends even though we talked all night and meshed like no two beings/collection of code have ever meshed before.

Call me crazy, but that;s what games are about to me. I'm also of the line of thought that sports should change their rules every year, because quite frankly I think they are VERY outdated. How can you find basketball or soccer fun if the rules have stayed the same for like the last 100 years?!

Out of date FTL!

Anyone agreeing with Samon is either stupid or a god damn kiss ass.

Take your pick.

Don't even get me started on Tetris or sports...

Tetris is one of the best games made. Ever. It is just that good. For you, games might be all about the story but for a lot of other people they are not. Trashing Space Invaders and Pac Man, pah.

I think since we can all agree that Michael Bay's films are praiseworthy examples of fine cinema we shouldn't put gaming up on a pedastal, that would just be unfair. Entertainment just needs explosions, really large things fighting, crazy 'extreme' stuff happening, leavened with occasional swearing or tits and ass.

As long as something can be described as "badass" you shouldn't find fault with it in any way.

I should try playing Prototype with my own music, thats probably what I don't like about it as well. I did that with Fallout 3 because there was barely any good content to listen to, and I got about 2 GB of 1920-1940s music that is just as good as the music in the game, if not slightly better.

What I find appalling is the fact that people just don't seem to understand that there are different kinds of games, just like there are movies: Some games are all about story, characters and that crap, others are about pure gameplay. Prototype did a great job with their gameplay. I finished prototype, I did not finish GTA4. Why? GTA's gameplay BORED me after about 10 hours of doing the same crap (go see this dude, drive here, shoot these guys, drive over there) and the story was nowhere near compelling enough to keep me playing. Prototype managed to keep me playing, despite its flaws.

The fact of the matter is, prototype is a FUN game, not a drama. Just like tetris, the fun is in the gameplay. Maybe the gameplay is not everyone's cup of tea, but neither is tetris's.

Seriously, why does every game have to be a crappy FPS with top-end graphics and a cliche story to be safe from the "critique" of our generation of game snobs? I play games for the gameplay, not the story. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good story, but give me a game with shoddy gameplay and a great story and then what do you get? Oh right, we get Bioshock. We get MGS... yeah, I love holding a controller while the game plays itself.

Gamers are becoming wimps IMHO. People bitch and whine when games give them a bit of a challenge. People bitched in this thread about the game being difficult. Really? Because I cut my way through everyone and actually wished there was more of a challenge (this was my big gripe for the game). I was sickened when I play Ninja Gaiden, after hearing it was "the hardest game ever" and only had problems with the final boss. I was revolted to learn that Nintendo was adding a feature to future games so that the player can just push a button and have the game play through the hard part of the game...

Go freaking watch a movie and grow a backbone.

Now that i think about it, the only thing i didn't like about prototype, was how the buildings fell down. it was kinda cheesy.

I love the missions where you fight as an infected or on the military's side.

"Looks like reinforcements have arrived... hold on a second, that's Mercer!"

I recall one mission where you had about 15 hunters on your side and you had to bring down 30 supersoldiers. Fun.

Rico's contradicting posts make my head sore. You prefer story over games or the other way around? Which post is sarcastic and which isn't?

I won't tell :-P I'd think its fairly obvious. Or at least I hope so!

His sarcasm when talking about preferring story over fun was so thick you could cut it with a knife, yet some of you thought he was serious.... :LOL:

Games can have both excellent gameplay and story. The best do.
If they only have one or the other then they are lacking. Accepting this simply because the majority don't manage it is just encouraging the lowering of standards.

Oh really? Then what about games like Audiosurf? What's the story there?

Sometimes all it takes is fun gameplay. Let's not forget why we PLAY games in the first place. Poker has no story, soccer has none, so why do ALL video games need to have amazing stories?

People like you are the reason we get "Crappy FPS shooter 25: The deadening" every single year. Halo 3, Half-Life Episode 29 (Not to say HL isn't a good series, but they're starting to get tiring), Call of Duty 4: 2 : 5 the debriefing, Doom 28, Duke Nukem Never...

God, I really hate gaming and "gamers" sometimes. Learn to broaden your horizons. Open your eyes to the torrent of crap they are feeding you year after year that is just repackaged crap gameplay with a "new" story. Let's not forget the fact that almost every single video game plot is terrible, and that the games with good plots are few and far in between.

Like I said, you want a good plot? Go read a book. I buy games based on gameplay first... crazy idea, right?

PS: I don't mean this as a personal comment Eejit, more like a general statement to that particular point of view. Hope you don't take it personal :)

Reread his post. You don't have to have both, you don't have to have either. But both certainly is best.

And I do believe you have most certainly gotten things backwards. "Gamers" are typically the hard core section of morons who will purchase the same rehashed FPS over and over to play the goddamn online. No one is saying core gameplay isn't important. But I must agree, accepting games with shit plots when they don't have to be shitty shouldn't be acceptable.

Rico out of the examples you mentioned I only think the Half-Life series does it well. Doom, CoD series etc. have pretty shitty stories or storytelling.

Thing I hated about Prototype, is its falling short of its own potential.

It claims to have loads of ways of completing an objective, but you end up doing the same thing for each mission type every time.

Infiltrate the base? Consume the commander outside, walk in, consume the targets by following them around and mashing A/X to consume them when 'nobody is looking...even though the 3 guards behind the cutscene are blatantly looking at you from 2 feet away...', then walk out.

It just got a bit repetitive, but I think the parkour around the city was faster than Infamous, but Infamous felt like you had SO MUCH MORE control. You go near an edge in Prototype and you forward flip up into the air and then have ***k all control over the angle of your decent.

Anyone who has tried to run to the tip of the empire state building will know what I mean. You cant run up it in a straight line as he keeps flipping and jumping as you sprint up the very top of it and you end up jumping off the edge even though youre holding down 'forward' and 'run', without even touching the jump button. Makes it SO frustrating.

Infamous just looked and felt more polished. Plus the story was actually GOOD in comparison.

On saying that, Prototype is more of a GTA game compared to Infamous, where you can pickup and play for a while and just mess around with the civilians and get chased by the army.

Back