Interpret this email...

Reaction score
Interpret this email I received from Mark Laidlaw pertaining to Adrian Shepard. I asked numerous other questions, specifically pertaining to consoles but ignore that. Anyway, tell me what you think this means...

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your letter. Adrian Shepard is a bit like Schrodinger?s cat?he?s neither canon nor non-canon, depending on whether or not the G-Man may or may not have a use for him.

Yours,

Marc Laidlaw

Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:18 AM
To: Marc Laidlaw
Subject: FW: Adriann Shepard MIA?

Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:16 PM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: Adriann Shepard MIA?

Hello Mr.Newell,
First I would like to say congratulations on Left 4 Dead it is now second to Half Life 2 as my favorite games of all time. Thank you. Next I would like to ask you a number of quick questions but the big one is this: What happened to Adrian Shepard? I am aware that the Gman took him into stasis but will he appear in the Combine time section of the Half Life universe or is he simply non canon? Now just a few quick questions. In regards to the Source engine, while it still displays some of the most impressive visuals on the market but now it seems to have aged a little as stated by many critics, so would you ever consider a bit of a upgrade? Another quickie is would ever consider porting a popular mod, like the upcoming anticipated Black Mesa Source ( which I know is third party) for us Xbox fans. Then the final one is can you make a Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat 2 similar to the differnt gaming design you did with Team Fortress 2 and not just a visual upgrade.

Thank you for your time and have fun making those ground breaking games

I think the man said it clearly.

He may or may not be canon, and the only way we'll know is if the G-man brings him up again in the future.

Totally on the fence.

Yup. And the same applies to everything else Gearbox created: if Valve uses it, it's canon. If Valve contradicts it, it isn't. If Valve doesn't use it, it's officially neither.

Then again, Adrian Shephard is at least one of Gabe Newell's favourite HL characters, it'd make sense that to put him back in the HL2 universe, not only for the sake for Shephard fans, but also to tie up Adrian's story's loose end, and possibly add on to the game quite alot.

Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment in quatum mechinatics. The idea is you put a cat in a box, with a vial of cyanide gas. The vial has a radioactive isotope in it also, and it is set up so that if the isotope decays, the glass will break and if the glass breaks the cat will die.

In quantum physics you deal with probabilities rather than with certainties. You can calculate the likelyhood that the isotope will have decayed, but whether it has or not. The only way to check is to open the box. Until you open the box the cat cannot be said to be dead or alive, but rather a state in between. The same is for Gearbox canon.

Lovely explanation indeeed. Marc Laidlaw must really love half-life cats...
This is his short story from last month...

Tales of the Border Patrol
December 5th, 2008

Erwin Schrodinger got pulled over at the border. They asked him what he had in the trunk of his car. While he pondered how to respond without sounding insane, he looked up at the border crossing sign and discovered that he was being detained midway between Mexifornia and Califexico. “That depends,” he answered.

One customs agent held him at gunpoint while the others went around to the back and, without asking for the keys, sprang the trunk with a crowbar. There were screams. The agent with the gun ran around back to see what was happening; nor did he return.

Schrodinger put the car into drive and pulled forward into San Diego with a lurch that caused the trunk to bang shut.

Sometimes, even today, drunken fratboys coming back from Tijuana say that on still nights, above the honking of the stalled cars and the cries of the Chiclet vendors, you can hear the Policia screaming. The word they are screaming sounds a little like meow.

Jeez, asking such stupid question about Black Mesa on X360? Shame on you.

speaking of interpreting emails, this annoying chick at work who is fat and disgusting thinks we are friends and even at christmas she gave me a $25 giftcard to Gamestop but i really hate her:

Dan,
Ok I realize you are mad at me because we have a comunication problem. I should of realized that you would not understand my would you be my Valentine question as a question from someone who is ONLY a friend to you that wanted to have fun.For some reason you take everything that I say very seriously, you seem to always assume that I want something more from you than just friendship. Please stop being so parinoid about the way you think I may feel about you. I am tired of walking on eggshells around you and wondering if what I say or do is ganna make you mad at me some how like now. We have been talking now for the last 9 months and I thought our friendship was causing us to grow closer together, maybe i'm wrong. weather or not I may have feelings for you is irrealivent, over the last 9 months I don't recall saying that I would like more than friendship from you right now. I do however thank God everyday that I have a friend like you that I can hang out with. I am comfortable with the way things are between us now (of corse not the fighting part) I enjoy spending time with you. I only have one question for you, Do you want to end our friendship or are you o.k. with the way things are? If you decide to end our friendship I want you to know that I may not fully understand why but I wil respect your decision just the same just as I respect how you feel about me know. please let me know. Thanks,
always
maranda
p.s.
before you make your decision I just want you to take a few moments and look back on the past 9 months we have spent together, we have had some fun times together. I sure will miss those times if you decide to end our friendship wont you? I hope we have a future to look forward to.

She asked to be my Valentine and basically that drew the line. Its a one sided relationship and somehow this other chick at work was friends with her and gave her my house address (i have no clue how she got it) and this chick is really bothering me. I want to throw her into the compactor at work and just see how long it would take to crush her. any advice?? also she befriends everyone and talks to a lot of girls. also i went to a christmas party outside of work with like 20 people and she thought we were hanging out

Lovely explanation indeeed. Marc Laidlaw must really love half-life cats...
This is his short story from last month...

Jeez, asking such stupid question about Black Mesa on X360? Shame on you.

well Portal: Flash Maps came to Xbox, why not BMS. I dont believe PC>360 or PC<360. There the same thing

speaking of interpreting emails, this annoying chick at work who is fat and disgusting thinks we are friends and even at christmas she gave me a $25 giftcard to Gamestop but i really hate her:

She asked to be my Valentine and basically that drew the line. Its a one sided relationship and somehow this other chick at work was friends with her and gave her my house address (i have no clue how she got it) and this chick is really bothering me. I want to throw her into the compactor at work and just see how long it would take to crush her. any advice?? also she befriends everyone and talks to a lot of girls. also i went to a christmas party outside of work with like 20 people and she thought we were hanging out

Wow. I feel sorry for this poor girl. She seems nice enough from the message, yet she must be deluding herself if you really hate her that much yet she thinks your a friend. Just what caused this hatred? What's so wrong about her save the way she looks? Can you try to be her friend?

Oh, by the way. This is a solely Half-Life based forum, so try to stay on topic next time.

I'll let Pesh tell you. He puts more detail into it. :naughty:

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Wow. I feel sorry for this poor girl. She seems nice enough from the message, yet she must be deluding herself if you really hate her that much yet she thinks your a friend. Just what caused this hatred? What's so wrong about her save the way she looks? Can you try to be her friend?

Oh, by the way. This is a solely Half-Life based forum, so try to stay on topic next time.

i know its off topic but i saw no one post in it in a long time. shes fat, has nasty sharp pointy teeth, and she smells like cat piss. what caused the hated?? she keeps giving me gifts and i don't like her. she makes me shutter every time i see her and her stories about her cats are really pissing me off. i've tried to be her friend but its just not working. also she constantly stalks me no matter where i go so its getting obnoxious

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I still stand to the fact that she seems nice enough. If they're nice - I'll be their friend. If they're not nice - I'll still try to be their friend. But that's just me.

Anyway, back on topic:

The thing about Adrian Shepard that always confuses me is the fact that he's so popular. Just what do people think will happen if he ever rejoins the Half Life saga? Are they expecting him to be a side-kick, dramatically alter the course of the game, what? Also, save for the fact that he's a marine, just what about him is so appealing?

well Portal: Flash Maps came to Xbox, why not BMS. I dont believe PC>360 or PC<360. There the same thing
I certainly don't have a problem with Xbox or console conversions, just with so many dumb people who are still obsessed with Black Mesa (Source indeed) and it's fantastic business possibilities with Valve.
People at Valve have better things to do than reply to stupid questions like that.

i know its off topic but i saw no one post in it in a long time. shes fat, has nasty sharp pointy teeth, and she smells like cat piss. what caused the hated?? she keeps giving me gifts and i don't like her. she makes me shutter every time i see her and her stories about her cats are really pissing me off. i've tried to be her friend but its just not working. also she constantly stalks me no matter where i go so its getting obnoxious

normal_care-o-meter.jpg

Back