Is Half-Life 3 Open World and Coming After 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quests in Half-Life? I doubt it.

And of course HL3 will be released after 2013, it could scarcely be released before 2013 could it?

oh thanks for your answer , but can i ask , do you know about date of relase ?

Whenever Valve feels like, dude. There hasn't been one iota of substantive news in literal years.

oh thanks for your answer , but can i ask , do you know about date of relase ?

I think there'll be news in 2014 for a 2015-16 release. It's obvious now the new HL game won't be on current-gen gaming technology, hopefully HL3 will pioneer (as it always does.)

What if Valve decides troll us by not announcing the game, and just putting it up on Steam without any word on it?

What if Valve decides troll us by not announcing the game, and just putting it up on Steam without any word on it?
No company in the world would ever drop a product into the market completely unannounced to troll the very customers they are aiming for when it is something that would be as huge as HL3. Something like that would be marketed so that they would squeeze every penny they could out of pre-sales on Steam, and have swathes of idiots sleeping outside stores for a week to get their hard copy first for their consoles.

Although, I am the kind of twisted fecker that'd do something like that just to see the shit storm it'd cause. And find it funny.

Knowing the Valve, I'm sure HL3 will be announced, but in a weird way, as is always been case in Valve's.
As for the content of HL3, all theories are possible, because something big surely Valve plans to invest in the game.

I don't like the idea of quests alas Skyrim, as it would detract from the games singular objective, which is to get to a single point in the world before the enemy.

However I do like the idea of a added rogue-like element to the game. You stick to a linear objective with many branching paths to get to your goal, and on the way you may find cache of weapon supplies, rebels that will join you on the copter, etc. However like with games such as FTL, you can only go forward, because your enemy is advancing behind you. As the enemy is advancing behind you, you are forced to take decisions as to which branching location to go to next, which will ultimately determine the finale.

Valve in the past have stuck to basic level environments, so I doubt they will switch to open-world.

As for release date, it'll be most likely next year. Valve like to perfect their games as much as any other game developer. Grand Theft Auto V got postponed due to Rockstar wanting to make the game really good in terms of gameplay.

Open-world games are difficult to make very well. I find myself unimpressed with anything open-world simply because of the lack of life. 10 people in the village, okay. How underwhelming. Leave the village and suddenly 100 bandits are trying to brutalize you.

Valve wouldn't attempt it with something of such a great reputation.

Half Life as a series is a linear, single-player experience. They are not going to suddenly destroy that winning formula for the sake of novelty. Valve has a very distinct storytelling style, and it is without exception linear as hell. Left 4 Dead (1 & 2), Portal, Portal 2, Half Life...they all follow highly linear progressions to tell the story. Half Life 3 will never be open world. It would be completely out of character for Valve to do anything else.

Whenever Valve feels like, dude. There hasn't been one iota of substantive news in literal years.

The gap between Ep2 and HL3 is already as big as the gap between HL1 and HL2.

Considering the fiasco regarding the release of HL2 back in 2003, I have no doubt that they are delaying for a good reason. When fans wait for such a long time, they get really antsy. If they wre to release any kind of information it would just put Valve into a crucible that they would not be able to get out of. There would be expectations that they would have to apply to, and I don't think they want those expectations until they have every single bit of HL3 to be set in stone, gameplay and all. I have no doubt that Valve will be releasing an engine capable of a next gen experience, but I am also sure that they want to have as much creative freedom as possible beforehand, so that when they do announce it they will be able to keep their release date.
I highly doubt any kind of open world game play in HL3. As said above, it just doesn't support deep narrative, which is a major part of the game. The closest you might get to an open world environment would be in possible expansive vehicle sections. As far as the main plot, there will be no open world environment involved, it simply isn't viable from a narrative standpoint.

Maybe they are waiting until next year for the gasp 10 year anniversary? Lol, doubtful but its just been a long wait. EP2 felt like a million years ago. Im sure HL3 is going to be a super awesome experience any way you slice it. It will be worth the wait, which is why I don't mind the delay.

15 year anniversary of the hl franchise this November boy,if there is some target,it'll be that one.

And no,they won't deliver in november i am sure of it.Nor in the first half of 2014.

I think there will be news for hl3 with the new Steam Box release.We will see...

Hope it something soon. I am waiting to build a new pc until I hear something about release! ;)

There are three possibilities of how HL3 could turn out.

1. (Worst possibility) Half-Life 3 comes out and it sucks balls. Sucks Duke Nukem Forever balls.
  2. (More likely possibility) Half-Life 3 comes out and it's a great game, but isn't as groundbreaking as HL and HL2 were.
  3. (Best possibility) Half-Life 3 comes out, and it's Worth the Wait™,

I hope it's not open world. My time is limited and I usually get bored with large spaces. Plus most of the time they're empty and copy-pasted.

See GTA games for example. Yes, they're big, but you have enormous deserts, lakes, empty mountains, entire mountains with just copy-pasted trees, etc.
However Half-Life 2 for example doesn't have very big spaces, but most of the time you have something concrete to do, not just run around killing things, and every corner has a purpose.

I understand games have to evolve, but change the genre?
Would you accept that Half-Life 3 would be a card game? A pinball game? An MMO?
Then why would you accept it to be an Skyrim-like game?

Just because some games get it well doesn't mean every game has to copy their concept. Some games are made to be linear and some don't. Making them the same is killing variety.

Hahahaha hahahahah haha. Half-Life 3. Hahaha.

I also hope it´s not open world, not too much time on my hands anymore. Last time a HL game was launched I still had hair...I wonder if I´ll even be alive for the next one.

This game will now either be God among games/elevates Valve above all else or another Duke Nukem Forever Fiasco. Or maybe Gabe will sell all rights to Disney and we can start having wonderful spinoffs with all our favorite Disney characters included? A Gordon sing-along featuring Donald Duck, perhaps?

Hopefully the game will define something completely new and will make us all happy we waited this long. Hopefully I will still be alive to play it (next 30-40 years?).

Here´s what I'm expecting for the time being from Valve Video#1 (Video#1 is already very outdated, but F*** it) and Video#2.

I hope Half-Life 3 won't be an RPG, their linear story line was great. What they will need is something new though, like the gravity gun back in HL2, something they can show-off with. Also i hope they will implement a good multiplayer which will be viable to play competitively. Time to get Half-Life back into eSports. I have a dream. I hope Black Mesa: Deathmatch will get released soon, so I have something to play while waiting.

-aKew

Isn't it every time someone makes a joke about Gabe Newell's weight he delays Half-Life 3 another year? Great job.

I'm sorry, but fat jokes are like Gabe Newell... THEY BOTH HURT (you cringe when you hear one, and when Gabe sits on you). Ba-dum-tshh.
You want me to stop these fat jokes? Well I'm sorry, but... THAT'S JUST HOW I ROLLS! Ba-dum-tsh.
Gabe is so fat her high school year book picture... IS AN AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH! Ba-dum-CLANG!
Oh no, the symbols broke, due to the enthusiasm shown by their player when hitting them. What a shame.

Didn't know symbols broke when you hit them. Good to know.

Also Gabe is a her. This man has some shocking insights.

Damn, I forgot to change her to him after copying & pasting the yo mama joke. Darn it.

Also, symbols do break, they're extremely weak. Or maybe the sledgehammer I use to play them is too powerful.

It's a good question, noticed that quite a lot of games on E3 are open-world, seems like open world is new a trend in video game industry.

If we're talking about how Valve will announce the game, there's no doubt in my mind that it will be an ARG.
Portal 2 had an ARG, and almost every large TF2 update has had some sort of ARG-like component to it.
They work quite well, and are a great way to get fanbases even more excited about upcoming games.

As for the date, I'm also predicting sometime in 2014/end of 2013.

And I don't think it will be open-world either. If it is, Valve will make it work.

All praise Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back