Is it wrong to be Emo?

I think you are seeing a 'because' where none exists, Veg.

Skaadi said:
Its okay to be emo, if you dont go out of your way to assert the fact that you're emo.

agreed.

Sulkdodds said:
Answer: no.
Some of them are ****s but then some of every clique are ****s.
Quiffy.

I have no real problem with emos. I even have some friends who're emo, and that's cool, just as long as they don't be emo near me.
/emo-gay comparison gag ends

Some "emo" bands are pretty good to be honest. And, despite my jokes at the emo "look", I appreciate that there are a fair few similarities between emo and my own indie poncery.

xlucidx said:
Hm...Boohoo, my life sucks. *cuts wrists while listening to Linkin Park*...

Yes?
Yeah, the equivalent of that reasoning is:

"Is it wrong to be black?"
Hm... Fo' shizzle dizzle *eats chicken and watermelon whilst looting and listening to West-sy-eeed gangsta rap*

You realise you can't broad-brush everyone in a certain group, right?

el Chi said:
Quiffy.

I have no real problem with emos. I even have some friends who're emo, and that's cool, just as long as they don't be emo near me.
/emo-gay comparison gag ends

Some "emo" bands are pretty good to be honest. And, despite my jokes at the emo "look", I appreciate that there are a fair few similarities between emo and my own indie poncery.
Indeed!

el Chi said:

Hm... Fo' shizzle dizzle *eats chicken and watermelon whilst looting and listening to West-sy-eeed gangsta rap*

Welcome to my highschool, where these "certain groups" are what makes up the school. -.-

Stereotypes come from somewhere, but they don't define people.

The people who I hate who are emos, I hate for other reasons apart from their chosen clique. It's more the way they try far, far too hard to be "random" and "quirky", plus their sheep qualities. Also, the way they often complain about the way they look, and go out of their way to try and hate themselves, just so others compliment them. It's just all so fake.

Most of all I hate the way the whole emo thing has trivialised self-harm. "LAWL WRIST SLICING, FUNNEH" :|

SimonomiS said:
go out of their way to try and hate themselves, just so others compliment them.
i.e., around 75% of girls?

SimonomiS said:
the way they try far, far too hard to be "random" and "quirky"
Yeah I used to do that. I'm sure I still do to an extent, it's just easier to admit it retrospectively.
SimonomiS said:
Most of all I hate the way the whole emo thing has trivialised self-harm. "LAWL WRIST SLICING, FUNNEH" :|
Oh come one, what's NOT funny about people who are depressed and feel like drawing blood will help them feel better? Geddit!
No? Oh wait...

K e r b e r o s said:
I've been thinking recently. Hurts, and you can hear the breeze. Anyway, whats so wrong with being, "emo" or emotional anyways? Does emo contribute to something worse then being emotional, but perhaps being irresponsible and immature?

Anyways, just a thought. What do you guys think of emo?
'Emo' is used to describe a person with strong emotions that projects these feelings in a pathetic way (Ie: Bitching about life, cutting wrists then telling people about it (although thats an extreme case stereotype)) They also dress in (often anyway) a gothic manner

Emotional is just someone with strong emotions, apart from that completly normal. Hell, im emotional, but im far from emo.

emo is only alright when my lawn is emo, that way it will cut itself

What pisses me off is that 'emos' are tryin to be unique and on their own, while really most of them are sheep to a clothing clique.

Noting wrong with being able to open up once in a while about your emotions, just don't force your emotions onto others.

i don't much like emo. the music sounds generic and whiney to me, but besides that i don't like the emo ideal. being emotional is fine, but being a pathetic little whiny bitch isn't.

el Chi said:

Wait, wait, WAIT. Black people aren't like that?
Crap. :|

Ennui said:
i don't much like emo. the music sounds generic and whiney to me, but besides that i don't like the emo ideal. being emotional is fine, but being a pathetic little whiny bitch isn't.

They just need a good smackin :p
I usually dont like emo / gothic ppl as they complain all the time. I had this Gothic ****face in my class once, and all he could do was bitch and whine about how "tough" life was.
I basically got pissed and yelled at him to be ashamed of himself.
Look at the other 65% of the world who live in garbage bins and/or have to walk 30km a day to get water.
We have absolutely nothing to whine about, yet those emo and gothic ****s want to be "interesting" and attract "attention" by acting asif they were abused or treated badly in life.
What a sad sad world :p

Other than that, who cares if your emo :p, just dont complain, compare your life to those billions who are not as fortunate....

you mean is it wrong to be an emo? Yep. it's wrong

Angry Lawyer said:
You all forget, "Emo" is simply a teen phase. Most Emos will eventually grow up to be well-adjused adults. I mean, you can wish they all died, whatever - but you forget that these are people, with borthers, sisters, mothers and fathers. They have names. They have aspirations. They're just like you or me.

-Angry Lawyer

Man, you just hit the nail on the head there. That's why I like to laugh at the emo people. Some of these people are going to be parents some day, who will likely change their looks. When they have old grad photos or high school year books around and their kids see them, they're gonna laugh so hard.

I mean, in the future, imagine how these people are going to be looked at!! I already find it hilarious, and imagine...future..it'll be like the mullet times one million.

Except that noughties nostaliga is the future.

It is 2022 and Cyber-Emo spreads across the world like a nanocancer. D:

Beerdude26 said:
Wait, wait, WAIT. Black people aren't like that?
Crap. :|

>.>

I have quite a few intelligent black friends... they don't talk like retarded gangstaz at all.
They talk like a well educated human being.

Apparently She doesn't see anything wrong with being emo.

Yeah, well "she" is a model. And no, not the coked-up kind, the digital kind.

JNightshade said:
Yeah, well "she" is a model. And no, not the coked-up kind, the digital kind.
I know, And I am glad for that.

Sulkdodds said:
Except that noughties nostaliga is the future.

It is 2022 and Cyber-Emo spreads across the world like a nanocancer. D:
I'm just worried about the impending doom that is '90s revival clubs D:

xlucidx said:
I have quite a few intelligent black friends... they don't talk like retarded gangstaz at all.
They talk like a well educated human being.
I believe Beerdude26 was being sarcastic...

Emos have no soles, that's why their feet hurt so much. :LOL: :D :) :| :( ;(

I really think I'm the opposite end of the spectrum here.

I don't really love any of my relatives other than the ones I'm really close too.

When someone I know dies, I'm sad for a few days and then I'm over it.

I am never really happy or sad.

Is there something wrong with me, or am I just super emotionally stable?

el Chi said:
I believe Beerdude26 was being sarcastic...
el Chi said:
ZING!!! Oh you went there :)
:p

I know how you feel Ova, thats another reason i don't like emos. The whole concept of people being even more emotional than they usually are just rubs me the wrong way. I prefer people who are emotionally stable and when needed can be rational. I can't stand people who are going to break out into tears or hissy fits at the drop of a hat just cause they're emotional and be prone to excess irrationality.

Llama said:
'Emo' is used to describe a person with strong emotions that projects these feelings in a pathetic way (Ie: Bitching about life, cutting wrists then telling people about it (although thats an extreme case stereotype)) They also dress in (often anyway) a gothic manner

Emotional is just someone with strong emotions, apart from that completly normal. Hell, im emotional, but im far from emo.

No, emo is a term for emotional hardcore [music], which surfaced in the late 80's/early 90's. Lately, however, emo has become a fashion and the backbone of stereotypical jokes relating to things like cutting your wrists, crying, moaning and whinging: all of which emo music was never about. In fact, I'm not sure where any of those stereotypical jokes came from. :|

These days, emo is dead. Its now merely passed along as a way someone dresses/looks or said over as jokes about slashing wrists or whatnot. Saddening, as emo was a great genre of music. I find it somewhat disgusting when people say 'yeh emo suks!!' when half the time they don't know what their calling shit as they wouldn't know an emo band if it hit them in the face. Half the time they believe emo to be the rubbish on TV nowadays like My Chemical Romance or Falloutboy. Hah.

Also to bare in mind that people shouldn't be hated, frowned upon or classed as a 'bad thing to be' because the way they look or what they choose to label themselves.

TheBleeding said:
No, emo is a term for emotional hardcore [music], which surfaced in the late 80's/early 90's. Lately, however, emo has become a fashion and the backbone of stereotypical jokes relating to things like cutting your wrists, crying, moaning and whinging: all of which emo music was never about. In fact, I'm not sure where any of those stereotypical jokes came from. :|

These days, emo is dead. Its now merely passed along as a way someone dresses/looks or said over as jokes about slashing wrists or whatnot. Saddening, as emo was a great genre of music. I find it somewhat disgusting when people say 'yeh emo suks!!' when half the time they don't know what their calling shit as they wouldn't know an emo band if it hit them in the face. Half the time they believe emo to be the rubbish on TV nowadays like My Chemical Romance or Falloutboy. Hah.

Also to bare in mind that people shouldn't be hated, frowned upon or classed as a 'bad thing to be' because the way they look or what they choose to label themselves.

I read your post. Then I read your name. Then I lol'd

At the time of signing up I was listening to Cannibal Corpse's 'The Bleeding' album which is the only album I really like by them. This may seem as gibberish to you (unless you've heard it yourself or something) but its not an association with emo/slashing wrists as I'm not stupid enough to put those stereotypical terms together.

TheBleeding said:
No, emo is a term for emotional hardcore [music], which surfaced in the late 80's/early 90's.

Half the time they believe emo to be the rubbish on TV nowadays like My Chemical Romance or Falloutboy. Hah.
I presume you're talking about emo in the Weezer-esque sense? 'cause it seems liek MCR and Falloutboy are emo, but a new kind of emo, in the same way that in the '90s, "indie" was, for example, The Verve and now "indie" is Bloc Party.

emo is nowhere near dead, i'd in fact go as far as to say that they are freaking everywhere.

If you want to find out just how many emo people there are follow these steps

1. go onto myspace
2. begin looking through people's pictures
3. Try to keep track of how many people have a dyed black or unatural colored forward flipped hairstyle, a dejected look on their face, and either thick rimmed glasses or eyeshadow. Bonus points for people with black tears drawn on their face, "X"s taped to the back of their hands, or obvious photoshop work done on their own pictures.
4. Go insane trying to keep track.

I think he means emo as in the origional emotional hardcore music genre

metal is emo. it's just angry emo, as opposed to today's sad emo.

Can you name a music not affected by emotion?

Back