Is The Gman Evil?

Is The Gman Evil

• Total voters
i think the G-man is just looking out for his "employers" best interests. so i think the real question is, do you think the G-man's employers are good or evil?

i think the G-man is just looking out for his "employers" best interests. so i think the real question is, do you think the G-man's employers are good or evil?

and dont say darksides name, it'll attract him. oh no! i just said darksides name! i said darkside again... and so on and so on

I was having a nice little laugh at this thread... then i saw your post.

The G-Man is a figure who manipulates events and people to achieve a desired outcome for himself. I don't believe the word 'evil' is the right one to use when describing G-Man and whose side he's on. He's on his own side. Sort of really makes him both, I guess.

I like to think of G-Man as a kind of anti-hero with his own Machiavellian motives. He'll use people to achieve his own ends. Sometimes he needs to use charm and kindness (like with Alyx, though he does it in a roundabout fashion), other times he uses brute force (as with Freeman and Shepherd).

For instance, I don't like to think he caused Eli's death, but I certainly think he didn't bother going out of his way to stop it. That can be seen as evil, but in reality he just has his own plans attached to his own motives, and Eli fell out of usefulness in the larger picture. I don't think he's cheering for either team, he's just his own entity. It just so happens his entity pulls the strings of many other entities.

I like to think of G-Man as a kind of anti-hero with his own Machiavellian motives. He'll use people to achieve his own ends. Sometimes he needs to use charm and kindness (like with Alyx, though he does it in a roundabout fashion), other times he uses brute force (as with Freeman and Shepherd).

For instance, I don't like to think he caused Eli's death, but I certainly think he didn't bother going out of his way to stop it. That can be seen as evil, but in reality he just has his own plans attached to his own motives, and Eli fell out of usefulness in the larger picture. I don't think he's cheering for either team, he's just his own entity. It just so happens his entity pulls the strings of many other entities.

You mean he is neutral?
Well about that, i agree.

Gman taketh and Gman giveth. You thal not face his royalness in thy god.

ps- I cant remember, is swearing against forum rules?

Bollocks can be used for both negative and positive

Its Bollocks = Bad
Its the Dogs Bollocks = Good

Anyway, Gman has a hidden agenda, obviously we don't know what it is is, but his attitude towards the player obviously states this. Though whether or not he's fundementally good or evil is left to be decided through his future actions.

Offcourse after what Eli tells you, its obvious that he set a chain of events in motion; though again whether humanity was supposed to survive or perish from those events is again left undecided.

He giveth thou rockets, he imprison you. He talketh you important stuff, he killeth Eli.

I don't know! He said "prepare for unforeseen consequences". But that may as well be directed to his Borealis policy.

I'm still holding out that he could have stopped it but saw no reason to.

Maybe it'll kickstart Alyx's role in his nefarious schemes.

mi always thought that "unforseen consequences" meant Eli's death but mi is probably wrong. tis' probably borealis or something big.

I don't think the G-Man is necessarily evil..I think he just views humans as a lesser species and therefore doesn't really think our suffering is a big deal. Perhaps his relationship with humans is like our relationship with dogs. Dogs are our pets. We live with them for 8-10 years and then put them to sleep when they become useless. Do we call that evil? No, because it's just considered normal. But of dogs had a higher intelligence they might think we're the evil ones for enslaving dogs and keeping them as 'pets'. The G-Man is either an alien with formidable power or he has some sort of technology that lets him do what he does (I'm thinking the first). If I was an alien that can live much longer and possesses the power to move across space and 'time', I would probably look down on humans too. But is it evil? To us it is. But in whatever society the G-Man may live in, it might not be.

The only real question to ask is What does the G-man want?

Well, we see in Episode Two that he wanted the resonance cascade to occur - he certainly isn't acting in humanities best interests. But evil? Thats a strong word, and I don't think we know enough about his intentions to be sure if he is good or bad. He's an opportunist. I'm pretty certain hes not human (he has access to ridiculously advanced technology and in the HL2 guide it is heavily hinted that he is not human (...not quite comfortable with human speech).

I also do not think he ever had employers. He just said that sound more human so that Gordon would trust him. These "employers" are never mentioned again.

I dont think he is, he may be controlling gordon when he puts him in stasis but he then releases him in city 17, and we all know what good gordon does in half life 2 + episode 1+2

Basically he justs has aims, what those aims are we don't know, but he goes out of his way to manipulate the events so that they go in his favor, whether that benefits the human race or the Combine, it doesn't matter, he has no allegiance, and no sympathy for what happens, as we openly saw that he was willing to sacrifice Alyx at the end of the Half-Life 2. The resosance cascade obviously must have had a greater cause for him/it but certainly one of the purposes of it was to test Freeman and his capabilities, whether he would suited for what he had plans for.

When the Vorts intervene at the start of EP1, this mucks up his plan, therefore he improvises, finds use for Alyx after all. I think its apart of something much bigger than the mere struggle between the human race and the Combine, maybe we will see an insight into that in EP3.

(This is only a joke...I think.)

Gman runs an interdimensional dogfighting ring, and Gordon's one of his prize pit bulls. (After Gordon won the fight against Nihilanth, Gman got lots of PRIZE MONNEHS)

Then in HL2 Gman won again when Gordon brought down a whole pack of Combine and their Citadel. Hence all the "interesting offers" from ppl wanting to buy Gordon. But he's not sure whether to sell Gordon or keep getting rich from winning all these fights.

The Vorts steal Gordon in Ep 1 because they are animal rights advocates who think interdimensional dogfighting is cruel...

I also do not think he ever had employers. He just said that sound more human so that Gordon would trust him. These "employers" are never mentioned again.
He does mention them again in a roundabout way--at the end of HL2 he mentions "offers," and during EpTwo he says he has agreed to abide by certain "restrictions." Both of those lines indicate there is still someone out there who not only contracts his services, but is also in a position to limit what he can do.

Gman is Gordon man, so he has better things to do than stalk freeman. Like posting in here.

He does mention them again in a roundabout way--at the end of HL2 he mentions "offers," and during EpTwo he says he has agreed to abide by certain "restrictions." Both of those lines indicate there is still someone out there who not only contracts his services, but is also in a position to limit what he can do.

This is a very good point that I hadn't considered before.

I always thought these restrictions were created by the voritgaunts, not by his employers. By the looks of things, he's still under their control somewhat during the events of episode 2, and I'm sure if his employers knew they would not simply leave him. This seems to give evidence that he has to do certain things the vortigaunts say, hence the "restrictions".

Back