Is this the Gman?

spixel

Reaction score
Near the start of hl2 where you meet alex barney and the professor to get your suit, there is a picture on the wall of several black mesa staff. The person on the far right looks remarkably like a young gman.

Has anyone else noticed this ? =]

It's not the g-man. It's just Slick. He's one of the four scientist models from HL1 that were used for all the scientists in the game. There were four. Their nicknames were Luthor (the black one, base for Eli Vance), Walter (the one with glasses, the base for Isaac Kleiner), Slick (the one who looks a little like the g-man, base for Arnold Magnusson) and Einstein (the one who looks like Einstein, not yet made into his own character). They're the four on the left:
800pxscientistmodels.jpg

Actually the scientist with glasses is named Nerd in the game files. He got his nickname Walter from a PHL comic called Walter's World (by Fragmaster). Black scientist, on the other hand is named Luther (Martin Luther King, anyone?), not Luthor. Also it's Arne, not Arnold Magnusson.

I always thought his model name was glasses...

You are right. Here is the line showing his name from the source code:

code.png

This one is from his model data (he is also called nerd in the PlayStation 2 port):

scientist.png

More trivial information: Nerd was originally modelled after Egon from the Ghost Busters.

Slick was the base for Magnusson? Hmmmmmm, I guess I kinda see it now.

I like how Eli/Luther/Luthor has white hands. Must be Valve's way of showing their approval for going the Michael Jackson route. lol

That's an outdated screenshot. The black scientist in Half-Life does have black hands.

Back