Islamic Cultural Centre to be built near Ground Zero

Should tyhe city allow a mosque to be built near ground zero?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Out of 809 New York residents surveyed, 53% oppose constructing a mosque two blocks from Ground Zero while 34% favor its development. 13% are unsure.

Republicans express the most dissatisfaction with the new structure - 74% oppose building a cultural center which includes a place of worship versus 16% supporting. Half of Democrats and 52% of non-enrolled voters think the mosque should not be erected while 38% and 35%, respectively, believe it should.

so, hl2.net what do you think. do you agree or disagree?

68% of Republicans believe the mosque is offensive to those who died in the terrorist attacks while 20% believe it will foster understanding about Islam. 47% of Democrats think the center insults the victims and their families compared with 37% of those who see the mosque as a move toward tolerance.

no real surprise here "freedom of religion only when it's our religion"

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con...gust 10, 2010 NYC Poll Release and Tables.pdf

The idiots that are against this fail to understand that there are muslims that not only died as a result of that attack but also as a result of helping in the rescue efforts after the attack.

It's pretty funny to say it's insulting to the dead of 9/11 to build a mosque near Ground Zero, but at the same time to forget it's also pretty insulting to the average muslim who had as much to do with 9/11 as you or me, to insinuate that he's somehow associated with the attackers, just because he shares his religion with them. Yes, that's not offensive at all. It would be an insult to the victims if the mosque preached hate and condones the attacks and in general follows the ideology of the attackers. But since (I assume) the proprietors of the mosque don't share the ideology of the attackers, why is the fact that both label themselves as muslims at all relevant?

Yes, it should be erected; it's appalling to think that it might (and probably will) be prohibited on the grounds of it being 'offensive'. Any line drawn between this and 9/11 is offensive to anyone with half a brain. Another clumsy step back into the quagmire for America.

Back shortly after the September 11th attacks occurred Government Officials kept pressing that the war on terror wasn't a war on Islam. By blocking the construction of this Mosque sort of deters that claim.

If it were up to me, no new churches or mosques or temples be built period but that would be against the freedom of religion and the constitution would be worthless. if that mosque/cultural center is put there at that location things will probably get ugly for them tbh.

So American citizens legally petition their city government to allow them to build a cultural center in a vacant building. People freak out.

Nine years after the worst terrorist attack on US soil, two ugly holes remain were once two towering symbols of a city and of a nation once stood. The project to build a "freedom" tower stalled, and over budget. People are ok with this.

I sure love me some bigotry masquerading as faux outrage.

Personally, I don't think there's a problem. However, while I'm not saying that they shouldn't have planned on building it, they probably should have expected this kind of response from not only the families of the victims but also conservatives, bigots, and FOX News. If they didn't expect a shitstorm from this, they obviously don't know how much the Republican party in this country likes to whine.

It's hilarious to think that terrorists operate out of strictly religious motivations. There are surely no other factors.

GOD I cant believe they are building it ON ground zero! thats like sacred ground! it's the muslims private revenge for them causing 9/11 somehow...

It's hilarious to think that terrorists operate out of strictly religious motivations. There are surely no other factors.

I thought they were just jealous of our freedoms and wealth? :eek:

The funny thing is that its not even at ground zero. Its several blocks away. And there already IS a mosque only five blocks away.

And by funny, I mean I hate the right wing so god damn much.

While it's a slap to the face for many Americans who lost loved ones on 9/11, they are technically allowed to do it because of what the Constitution states, and because of the belief that a person is entitled to practice any religion they choose. Just because two Muslims share the same ideology but one takes it to the point of extremism doesn't necessarily dictate that all Muslims are out to cause violence within the masses. Why they chose to put this structure so close to Ground Zero, I don't know, but they must have been prepared for the outright slamming that's been going on since the idea was proposed. So long as they have the permits, and so long as they keep mainly to themselves while respecting the pain that many Americans have endured as a result of 9/11, I will accept their decision, as crazy as it may sound to some.

While it's a slap to the face for many Americans who lost loved ones on 9/11

How can you say that, and then go on to say this:

Just because two Muslims share the same ideology but one takes it to the point of extremism doesn't necessarily dictate that all Muslims are out to cause violence within the masses.

and THEN say this:

so long as they keep mainly to themselves

God damn. Hypocrite much? These Muslims have nothing to do with the 9/11 attack, and should not bear the stigma of it. And you really don't know why they'd want to build a Mosque there? It couldn't possibly be because a lot of Muslims live in the area, could it?

That would be our good buddy Escaep. Glad he didn't feel the need to explain his choice.

Edit: Beat by KA

To be honest I had thought up until now I had voted the last option but I guess I didn't. I didn't know who was behind the building of it and I didn't want to make a choice till I read about it.

Of course I could have read about then voted but I didn't. But this being halflife2.net you will most likely ignore this post and pretend it didn't existed.

And thanks for calling me Escape, KA.

That guy Escaep is such a jerkhole, voting "no" like that. What a complete dicknose.

To be honest I had thought up until now I had voted the last option but I guess I didn't. I didn't know who was behind the building of it and I didn't want to make a choice till I read about it.

What a total dick

I voted for the last option because I haven't been following this unimportant stupid ****ing shitcock pussyfarting god damned shitty issue that just sidelines the real issues like Gulf of Oil Spill, 2 wars overseas and massive economic debt that no one wants to talk about anymore.

...until they find another way to link it to Obama.

no but in my good ole nation we seem to want to forget about the important topics and focus on this shitty one person cover stories (like a 2 year old missing kid)

I have two mosque type buildings near me. I think one is a school, or maybe they both are schools. But they have the crescent on them. One is literally like two blocks away from me.

It doesn't bother me.

I voted for the last option because I haven't been following this unimportant stupid ****ing shitcock pussyfarting god damned shitty issue that just sidelines the real issues like Gulf of Oil Spill, 2 wars overseas and massive economic debt that no one wants to talk about anymore.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that as well. Especially after hearing about another Mosque in the area.

I have two mosque type buildings near me. I think one is a school, or maybe they both are schools. But they have the crescent on them. One is literally like two blocks away from me.

It doesn't bother me.

That does remind me of something I heard back at early spring of last year. I went with my dad to paint a couple of rooms for a former teacher of my school. I liked her and admired her when I was in school, and it was good to see her again. But I was a bit surprised and taken back with what she had said to my dad. Dad told her of when he, my mom, and my brother went to Greece last year to attend my oldest brother's weeding. She then asked if there were alot of Muslims over at Greece and commenting that it must have been scary to be around muslims. I rebuffed her as politely as I could and told her that Muslims all aren't the fanatics as they portray them on TV, especially on Fox news (and believe me, most people here watch Fox News on TV). I also added that you can't judge all muslims by the actions of a few fanatics, like how you can't accuse all christians of being child molesters just because some priests have been caught molesting children. She never mention anything about muslims after that, though I doubt her views changed.

I won't lie when I say that racism is a big issue where I live. Especially against african americans (that people routinely call "Ni**ers" here). When I was a kid, I always wondered why there were no african americans here and my family asked that same question to a few of our neighbors here. They were told that the few times an african american family tried to live here they were chased out over time. Of course, it's no surprise since I live in a rural area with alot of right wing 'patriots'. But in the 21st century I would have thought we'd move on from racism. I guess not. But anyways, lately there has been especially alot of prejudice against muslims and arabs. And I can tell you that there have been many instances where people have suggested to me that we nuke the entire middle east. Doesn't matter if they are innocents or not, Muslims are viewed as evil heathens here. Even a friend of my dad suggested to my brother and I that we can get Osama Bin Laden if we nuke the mountain area between Afghanistan and Pakistan. I did bring up about the deaths of many people in the area due to the intense heat, radiation, and radioactive residue but I was told "It wouldn't matter, we'd still get that son of a bitch Osama."

They should be allowed to, but they're insensitive dicks for wanting to.

They should be allowed to, but they're insensitive dicks for wanting to.

I don't see it that way. You have to determine whether or not it was intentional to cause controversy. I mean, the people most vocally objecting to this are going to get their panties in a bunch anyway. I think it's a little bit absurd for the notion of a Muslim building going up a few blocks away from ground zero being insensitive. I mean shit, when does it end? Does that area need to remain forever Muslim free just because some murderous Muslims happened to kill people on that site?

I'll admit if I found any concrete evidence that it was being built as a mockery I would be up in arms about it, because I'm not exactly religion friendly anymore. But I mean, all I see it is right now is simply another building going up.

Rightly or wrongly it was always going to upset a lot of people. It's absurd that people would take offense but since they obviously would (lolamericans) then it's an insensitive thing to do.

Back