I've always wanted to play Wind Waker...

Just got my infraction in the mail.

And with this I never post in this thread ever again.

I bet the infraction was for questioning Munro's presence.

Isn't every zelda game a remake of a zelda game?

Yes, everyone knows, and most people forgive nintendo for making the same four games over and over. I however do not, and I don't like the games anyway.

The second one was kind of better than the first, but in the first there were surprises. At least for me. I didn't know there were going to be puzzles when I played it. I didn't know a damn thing. GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

In 2 I knew what to expect.

Zelda II is barely a Zelda game :p

But I still haven't cleared the first dungeon (have it on VC) so I can't really compare.

Before I got it, I thought the look of Phantom Hourglass was a turnoff, I mean I kept thinking "this crap is just exploiting children's attraction to cartoony looking shit." But then you know what? IT'S MOTHERF***ING ZELDA, IT'S ALWAYS GOOD NO MATTER WHAT. Also I got attached to the graphics and it looks cute :)

What really kills Wind Waker, though, is the god damn triforce hunt. A mandatory fetch quest. I hope that everyone at Nintendo who thought it would be fun, or even a remotely good idea, got fired. For me, it was the first harbinger of Nintendo's declining creativity. There was not a single reason to have the triforce hunt instead of another dungeon except for pure, god damned laziness.

I had a really really good memory of WW. In my mind it was an epic pirate quest involving princesses and talking boats and giant birds. All the time however my subconscious had stopped me from playing the game again. And I've just remembered why. That bloody Triforce quest. GRAHHH.

On a side-note, how good was the game playing a note with every successful sword-strike? The most satisfying combo system a combat game has ever used.

I got some of the triforce pieced in between doing the temples so it was slightly less annoying for me. Still annoying though. And Phantom Hourglass too easy. Hell, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (So far, I'm in the Temple of Time now) are easy too, but Phantom Hourglass is just rediculous. I'm not sure if I ever saw the game over screen.

I got some of the triforce pieced in between doing the temples so it was slightly less annoying for me. Still annoying though. And Phantom Hourglass too easy. Hell, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (So far, I'm in the Temple of Time now) are easy too, but Phantom Hourglass is just rediculous. I'm not sure if I ever saw the game over screen.
If you're as bad at boat combat as I am, you would have. :(

So, I trudged my way up to the Wind Temple now... and I still think WW sucks. Here are my problems with it now:

There's no real exploration, you just go to every grid square and find the fish that's always next to the island. The fish tells you exactly what you need to know to find some god awful secret on the island, then you go and find the item you were looking for and you are completely done with it. Nothing left to look at. There's an exception to that rule on about 3 or 4 of the somewhat larger islands.

75% of the quests in the game are fetch quests. Find the ****** with the fiddle, find the triforce pieces, go to a 1 room dungeon to find an item that you only need to get into the entrance of a real dungeon. That takes up most of the game. Also, none of the quests really have any kind of deep back story to them; they're all explained with one-liners. It's stupid, and even if I were 10 again I probably wouldn't give a crap about what was going on.

The dungeons are uninspired. They're boring, annoying, and uneventful. There are very few REAL puzzles; the vast majority are simply about connecting a particular item you have to the obstacle at hand and using it. Where's all the clever shit that simply overflowed every dungeon in OoT, ALTTP, and MM? Also, where are the awesomely atmospheric events that occurred in those games? Anyone remember the Shadow Temple and seeing that huge ghost ship swimming through the underground canal, and then fighting those skeletons that showed up on it? Do you remember anything like that in the WW dungeons?

There's not all that much to do really. Windfall island is the biggest town in the game, but after you do the pictobox stuff and 2 or 3 other sidequests, it ends up just boiling down to the auctions, the stupid statues that I don't care about, and the crappy battleship minigame. Not even a decent shop, unless you count the bomb shop - but why the hell would I ever go there when I can just cut some grass? Most of the other islands are worth 1 visit.

Did anyone notice the fairy islands are shaped like hearts? There's also "Shark Island" that's shaped like a shark (for no reason), "Bomb Island" which looks like a bomb, etc. Completely childish, patronizing, uninspired, feces.

For everyone who is thinking I'm an idiot for attacking WW's childishness (since obviously it's a game for kids, lulz): All the Zelda games had a childish nature. The series is based on Miyamoto's memories as a kid when he used to run around exploring caves and such. It was all about reliving childhood complete with the cuteness, and the darkness. However, WW is all cuteness, no wisdom, no creeping shadows, and no real joy. WW is to the classic Zelda games like Dora The Explorer is to Huckleberry Finn.

I'm not asking for another OoT here, I just think Miyamoto is caring too much about demographics and too little about actually expressing himself... and Wind Waker really just sucks as a Zelda game.

Lame-o, there's a very bright future ahead of you as a reviewer at IGN.

THE JIST of what I said about WW goes for Phantom Hourglass too, and thanks Darkside :D

Threads complaining about the supposed childishness of Wind Waker are so 2003. The hilarious untimeliness of this thread is only rivaled in stupidity by the shallow criticisms of the game itself, which apply to every Zelda title and not just Wind Waker.

/scoff

Well, Wind Waker shows where Nintendo's head is at since the Zelda formula hasn't really changed since then. There's Phantom Hourglass, which is practically the same, just simplified and made to play like ALTTP. Then there's TP, which I haven't played yet, but from what I've heard/seen it might just be the same kind of lame excuse as WW, but aimed at the opposite demographical spectrum. From cutesy to xXxHARDCORExXx. I'm not sure it improved anything from the Zelda franchise other than the realism of the graphics.

Also, how are my criticisms shallow? How do they apply to every Zelda title?

/scoff

I didn't like it either.
It's terribly overrated.

Yes, everyone knows, and most people forgive nintendo for making the same four games over and over. I however do not, and I don't like the games anyway.

halo

There's enough crazy things in Warhammer (Fantasy/old) to compare to some of the baddies and beasties from Zelda, that's for sure.

Nothing can beat Warhammer lore.
Ever.
Except OTHER Warhammer lore. A Black Orc could rip the shit out of Ganon.

Half-Life? Except they aren't really making them.....

Dammit I want my Episode 3.

Then there's TP...from what I've heard/seen...From cutesy to xXxHARDCORExXx.
Twilight Princess
1jrcoz.jpg

You're too old, and you don't think OOT/MM suck because you played them when you weren't too old.

Lame-o why don't you just play Alundra if you want a dark Zelda game?

You're too old, and you don't think OOT/MM suck because you played them when you weren't too old.

If that's what a game needs to be good, it must be a really crappy game.

Are you saying Sesame Street ABC for NES is a crappy game just because I only enjoyed it when I was a wee lad?

and wait, who thinks that OOT or MM for that matter are bad in any way?

and microsoft too? what's your point?

anyway:
the legend of zelda
the adventures of link
a link to the past
link's awakening
ocarina of time
link's awakening DX
majora's mask
oracle of ages
oracle of seasons
a link to the past/ four swords
ocarina of time master quest
wind waker
four swords adventures
legend of zelda GBA
adventures of link GBA
the minnish cap
twilight princess
phantom hourglass
freshly-picked tingle's rosy rupeeland
tingle's balloon fight DS
link's crossbow training
irozuki tingle no koi no balloon trip
the legend of zelda: ancient stone tablets

also:
mario bros
super marios bros
the lost levels
super mario bros 2
super mario bros 3
super mario land
super mario world
super mario world 2: yoshi's island
super mario land 2: 6 golden coins
super mario 64
super mario sunshine
new super mario bros
super mario galaxy
super mario galaxy 2
mario clash
wario land: super mario land 3
luigi's mansion
mario vs. donkey kong
mario pinball land
super princess peach
mario vs donkey kong 2: march of the minis
yoshi's island DS
mario vs donkey kong: minis march again
virtual boy wario land
wario land 2
wario land 3
wario land 4
wario world
wario: master of disguise
wario land: the shake dimension
warioware games
mario and wario
wario's woods
wario blast
mario parties 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, e, advance, and DS
super mario kart
mario kart 64
mario kart: super circuit
mario kart: double dash
mario kart arcade GP
mario kart DS
mario kart arcade GP 2
mario kart wii
super smash bros
super smash bros melee
super smash bros brawl

oh and uh, here's halo:
halo
halo combat evolved
halo 2
halo 3
halo wars
halo: reach
halo 3 ODST

I wasn't implying that necessarily, though you may think so from my last post. I was arguing against acepilot's point, whatever it was, by showing there's what... six halo games, and about two billion zelda games.

I actually really loved TP. Almost enough to rival OoT and MM. Not so much WW, although it's still a great game.

Then again whether you like these games or not is subject to your opinion, so it doesn't really matter.

I was never way into Zelda, and the graphics of games like Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass on the DS never really did it for me.

But I gave Phantom Hourglass a try and I love it. I remembered that the gameplay is most important, and Zelda always pulls this off expertly.

Back