JJ Abrams And Gabe Newell Show Interest In Partnership

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2013 DICE Summit is currently underway in Las Vegas, where both Gabe Newell and JJ Abrams recently appeared for their scheduled discussion, entitled "Storytelling Across Platforms: Who Benefits Most, the Audience or the Player?". A video of the full discussion has finally been released and is available right here. Our interest has been drawn towards the conclusion of the talk, in which both Abrams and Newell both expressed interest in collaborating on potential future game and film projects.

While this is by no means an announcement or reveal, the indications are definitely promising. Abrams began with the following quote, before being followed by Gabe who briefly expressed his interest in working with him on a possible Half-Life or Portal film.

"There's an idea for a game that we'd really like to work with Valve on."
Needless to say we're definitely excited to see where either of these projects may end up, should they ever evolve into anything beyond discussions and concepts. We imagine any potential film would most likely feature JJ Abrams as a director, producer or advisor for a Source Filmmaker created film developed by internal teams at Valve.​
dice2013-jpg.23967
Photo Courtesy of The Verge

Attachments

• DICE2013.jpg
    DICE2013.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 11,650
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 7,801
Really looking forward to watching the full talk. This news is enticing. Though, Valve have been doing a really good job of not overdoing it with bloom and lens flare, so I hope J.J.'s involvement doesn't ruin that streak.

There are only 3 directors I could see doing a portal or HL movie - Guillermo del Toro, John Favruau and JJ Abrams. So I hope whatever ever they decide to do (live action or SFM) I bet it will be awesome. I would like to see what JJ and Gabe could do for a video game..Half Life 4 anyone? :p

RlMrLRI.png

I dunno, Gabe seems kinda interested but JJ looks like he wants to leave the room.

I don't see that turning out so well.......
And is this like going to be a movie you would watch at the theatre, or buy online like Indie game: The Movie?

Looks like Gabe lost some weight? He needs to buy new, better fitting pants.

Looks like Gabe lost some weight? He needs to buy new, better fitting pants.
I thought the same. But I noticed it more so regarding his shirt.

Good for him.

The G-Man is Jar Jar.

I don't see that turning out so well.......
And is this like going to be a movie you would watch at the theatre, or buy online like Indie game: The Movie?
Well, I suppose it would be mostly digitally distributed, right?

I can only see good out of this alliance federation combine, union.

"We must all collaborate, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of unification."

Yay, something else to occupy Gabe's time which isn't Episode 3.

so the halflife movie will have tons of lens flare and the end the nihilant will be gordon father and them its revealed everything was a experiment-dream by gordon because gordon was dead all the time??

Sounds about right...

Oh man... would love so much to see this done well. I don't think J.J. would kill it, and if Valve/Gabe is overseeing it, that's a recipe for a potentially successful flick.

I would love to watch a movie of half-life or portal. However I'm not sure I want to see it being a movie with real humans. Often times the characters in these movies don't live up to our expectations. I would love to see it being a SFM

Anywhere we can get a video of the talk?

great...more over compensation for HL3 becoming vaporware.

thanks for the slap in the face valve.

just stick to developing platforms, leave the game development and production to the steam community....since thats what youve been doing for the last 2 years anyway.

They have merely expressed interest in collaboration; it has little to do with compensating for the absence of a new Half-Life installment.

It certainly isn't something to get angry about.

They have merely expressed interest in collaboration; it has little to do with compensating for the absence of a new Half-Life installment.

It certainly isn't something to get angry about.

you have no idea what youre talking about.

Would you like to explain why I'm wrong?

<rant>

gabe newell and mike harrington were software developers at microsoft. not video game designers.

all of valves games (except half life) have started as 3rd party mods from 3rd party developers, only later to be picked by valve during or after development.

tf2's trading and crafting system is ripped from diablo 2. the goldsrc engine was a heavily modified version of the quake engine. the micro transaction and free to play style of business was taken from the apple store and itunes. updates to current titles are pre dominantly community based and driven. their competitive structure for DOTA2 & CS:GO comes right out of various e-sports leagues like ESEA.

valve is the king of refining and re tweaking other peoples ideas, and making sure both parties are protected and reap the benefits. i am not denying how important that is in the video game industry, nor that i have benefited greatly from valve.

any artist will tell you that good artists take, and great artists steal. and by that definition...viktor anatonov is a great artist. but video game design is not a traditional artistic medium, as it combines multiple existing mediums to deliver an interactive experience, which communicates with the user in a way never communed before. players look for an exhilarating experience, and since the HL series is iconic for this, the pressure for valve to deliver has increased 100 fold given what the story of HL3 has become.

ep1 and ep2 are clear signs of valve stumbling over half life, as it is their only original idea. ep3 was promised, but never delivered. its common knowledge that ep3 was confirmed, but hl3 isnt ep3. the old joke "every time you mention it, HL3 is delayed 2 months" is iconic among the HL community.

so much so that valve is proud to announce a possible game collaboration with JJ Abrams (probably this:
) but is still completely silent and seemingly embarrassed about HL3.

why? because they dont know how to finish it...which is a cause for insecurity.

the gabe cube, SFL, SFM, SM, SGL, SW's and SDK's are phenomenal and industry defining, but it makes any smart person question why they are starting to pursue saturated markets, other than obvious motivations of opportunity and money, while everyone knows HL3 is still a big question mark.

why is it such a big question mark? because valve's vision and direction has always been community based. and the community has been desperately wanting HL3 for years. it goes against everything valve.

valve, at it's core, is a video game company. considering they no longer produce video games and instead are producing software platforms while allowing their community to continue development of existing titles, they are over compensating by collaborating with JJ Abrams to possibly develop SOB.

</rant>

rant {display:none;}

valve, at it's core, is a video game company. considering they no longer produce video games
No seriously what are you talking about.

Gabe's D.I.C.E keynote is up on youtube here:
But it doesn't include the JJ Abrams bit. Does anyone know if that's up yet?

I'm not going to address that entire post because there's just so many things wrong with it, but I'll make snarky comments to a few points.

all of valves games (except half life) have started as 3rd party mods from 3rd party developers, only later to be picked by valve during or after development.
Also Ricochet.

the gabe cube, SFL, SFM, SM, SGL, SW's and SDK's are phenomenal and industry defining, but it makes any smart person question why they are starting to pursue saturated markets, other than obvious motivations of opportunity and money, while everyone knows HL3 is still a big question mark.
You think refining digital distribution of the entire video game space is a saturated market but FPSs aren't?

valve, at it's core, is a video game company. considering they no longer produce video games and instead are producing software platforms while allowing their community to continue development of existing titles, they are over compensating by collaborating with JJ Abrams to possibly develop SOB.
The release of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Portal 2, Alien Swarm, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and hundreds of updates to Team Fortress 2 and the above games since the last Half-Life game don't count as producing video games? Fascinating.

Riom, don't you know that if they aren't talking about it, then they obviously aren't working on it? Valve always tells us exactly how the progress on their games is going, that's why they let themselves get hacked and leaked HL2.

Let us all raise a glass for the corpse of the Stars of Barathrum. (THAT IS WHAT I'M CALLING IT FOREVERMORE.)

Auld Lang Syne, etc.

Let us all raise a glass for the corpse of the Stars of Barathrum. (THAT IS WHAT I'M CALLING IT FOREVERMORE.)

Auld Lang Syne, etc.

Stars of Blood.

You keep your Blood, I'll keep my spirit space cow with action lamp.

Was video recording not allowed in this keynote? I've been dying to actually watch this, since it was announced.

Every other D.I.C.E. talk has been recorded and uploaded online, but not this which is the one everyone talks about.

You think refining digital distribution of the entire video game space is a saturated market but FPSs aren't?

the micro transaction and free to play style of business was taken from the apple store and itunes. so was the digital distribution platform.

the console market, the mobile market, the casual gamer market, and the "living room" market is already heavily saturated.

i said markets valve is starting to pursue...not markets valve has already entered. re-read my post.

The release of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Portal 2, Alien Swarm, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and hundreds of updates to Team Fortress 2 and the above games since the last Half-Life game don't count as producing video games? Fascinating.

l4d = turtle rock
p2 = nuclear monkey..if you want ill point out Weier/Wolpaw/Faliszek
alien swarm = black cat
dota2 = icefrog
cs:go = hidden path (HP took over sole development duties of CS:S close to a year ago)
TF2 = ALL TF2 UPDATES ARE COMMUNITY DRIVEN. I COME FROM THE LAND OF HATS. I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

all the games you listed support what i posted before

...that HL is the only original idea valve has ever had.

when you sign on 3rd party developers and oversee their production (or simply port games to the source engine and make them shiny), then put your companies name on the product and sell it on your digital distribution platform...no i dont count it as producing games.

ill go so far and say valve is a video game publisher...no longer a video game developer/producer.

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that Valve have given up on
Half-Life because they're successful at facilitating high number of modifications and other forms of community productivity? You further try to prove that they do not contribute original work, and instead depend on other developers.

I simply can't agree with that. While most of their game concepts may have come from outside, it's Valve who developed them and made them into excellent games that they are. The creators of all the projects you mention have been hired and became a part of Valve, and they're not the sole contributors to those games. Portal without Eric Wolpaw's input would have been a different game; after Gearbox merged with Valve, Left 4 Dead became a Valve project, especially the sequel; Portal 2 was an internal project developed by a large portion of the studio; community-made items are an important part of Team Fortress 2, but the game and many major updates were made by Valve, and the design decisions remain in their hands.

The distinction between Valve and various game designers they hired together with their game projects is fallacious.

I don't know enough about Apple's solutions to know how many of Valve's ideas can be traced back to them, but Valve's projects involve different products with different customer behaviour. The console market may be saturated, but Valve aren't trying to simply compete on the same terms; it seems that they're planning to offer a vastly different product. Don't mistake inspiration and observation of common solutions for copy-cat work.

As for Half-Life, the only thing about it that is apparent, is that they decided to change their approach to the franchise, and explore other projects in the mean time. Gabe Newell mentioned and referenced it a sufficient number of times in the last year and a half to prove that they are working on it. Making known their plans for new projects like the ones in the news post is simply another one of many that Valve have been undertaking concurrently to the series' development since 1999.

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that Valve have given up on
Half-Life because they're successful at facilitating high number of modifications and other forms of community productivity? You further try to prove that they do not contribute original work, and instead depend on other developers.

no. valve sees that community production and participation is what drives their business, and is essential to the longevity of their titles.

i speculate and believe that hl3 is vaporware for a shit ton of reasons, not just because they see user generated content as the future. a major reason is because of an interview Gabe did: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Valve-Gabe-Newell-Half-Life-3-Ricochet-2-Steam,15419.html

ive been a free lance designer for almost a decade, and as an artist, a quote like that means alot more than the average HL conspirator would think, because that outlines a much deeper problem/situation within valve.

why divert man power and resources to a project that is becoming a black hole, where the payout might or might not be worth it, while you can use said assets to work on projects such as steam for linux or the gabe cube? why not just kill Half Life unannounced, so it remains a mystery until the end of time, receive no backlash from the community since it will always be a mystery and continue working on various projects that make the rest of your consumer base happy, especially if all of your other titles and projects are doing so well?

gabe's philosphy has always been "if youre not planning for the future, youre already left in the past," which is why i do not see HL3 in valve's present or future.

my only hope is that a steam box + source2 engine + steam for linux + HL3 launch is on the horizon, because valve will have to showcase the source2 engine with a title/movie of their own to exhibit its capabilities, though pushing the user generated content front forward by only releasing a source2 SDK would be MUCH more cost and time effective.

I simply can't agree with that. While most of their game concepts may have come from outside, it's Valve who developed them and made them into excellent games that they are. The creators of all the projects you mention have been hired and became a part of Valve, and they're not the sole contributors to those games. Portal without Eric Wolpaw's input would have been a different game; after Gearbox merged with Valve, Left 4 Dead became a Valve project, especially the sequel; Portal 2 was an internal project developed by a large portion of the studio; community-made items are an important part of Team Fortress 2, but the game and many major updates were made by Valve, and the design decisions remain in their hands.

there is a VERY VERY VERY large difference between refining other peoples ideas that work, and developing original ideas.

Portal could have been a B list game, but valve made it an A+ game. L4D could have been a B list game, but valve made it an A+ game. im not denying that valve has a hand in what has made these games great, but Half Life is the ONLY game they have produced FROM SCRATCH.

as for TF2...save your breath. i run a trading community @ www.tf2pricecheck.net which generates roughly 1.6 million page views per month. i can sit an argue about how wrong you are with TF2 alone, but as you can see from my posts, i rant alot, and im going to save space.

As for Half-Life, the only thing about it that is apparent, is that they decided to change their approach to the franchise, and explore other projects in the mean time. Gabe Newell mentioned and referenced it a sufficient number of times in the last year and a half to prove that they are working on it. Making known their plans for new projects like the ones in the news post is simply another one of many that Valve have been undertaking concurrently to the series' development since 1999.

they decided to change their approach because Viktor Anatonov left when valve started up with the episodic idea. because valve had stopped making "AAA" games, according to him. (which is hysterical to me, because Dishonored was horrible)

and since then, valve has cancelled the episodic idea, and gone completely silent about HL3, other than references during winter sales, and using codenames to describe HL3's development to shut people up for a couple months.

where do you think that leaves valve and the development of HL3? nowhere! because their community wont shut up about it!

they have no problem announcing ideas, collaborations, hosting keynotes and the likes of the matter about ANYTHING other than HL3, but as soon as HL3 is mentioned...everything changes.

sure, why not.

Well that article can't even spell Gabe's name correctly, so I wouldn't trust it.

Back