John Patrick Lowrie says Half-Life 3 is currently not in development

I still don't get why we're all arguing over something a voice actor brought up two years ago.

The blog post linked was from 2 years ago. However comments were made on that post 2 days ago. So it's still dumb, but it's current.

People would be too busy bitching about fakefactory turning Alyx into a prostitute to care.

This is something new?

The blog post linked was from 2 years ago. However comments were made on that post 2 days ago. So it's still dumb, but it's current.
Current but dumb = news worthy apparently.

true dat description
Thank you for saying what I've been telling people since this whole stupid shit began the other day.

Well first off, what do people get out of it? It's not like Valve is sitting on a complete Half-Life 3 that they play all day and laugh as others go without.

It also speaks to people feeling they are entitled to, or deserve, the game and information regarding it. Which is frankly silly. Valve have always done things their way for better or worse. A bunch of people getting huffy about it is going to get you less results than just being nice and asking Gabe. Which will also not get you much.

They do things at their own pace in their own way. Nothing can be done, so best to just relax and be patient. Valve are lucky that they can choose NOT to rush a game out before it is ready. If it were up to some fans, we'd have had 5 really poorly made HL games out by now.

Uh, the overall issue has always been with Valve's strategy of communicating the future of the franchise. There's nothing wrong with criticizing them for that, especially when this company says that they value feedback. Maybe you should spend less time criticizing the critics, and more time recognizing that some of your peers aren't happy with the way Valve's handling some things.

Me personally, I'm kind of happy with what Gabe said last year.

"In terms of [Half-Life 3], we always have this problem that when we talk about things too far in advance, we end up changing our minds as we're going through and developing stuff. So as we're thinking through the giant story arch which is [Half-Life 3], you might get to a point where you're saying 'something is surprising us in a positive way, and something is surprising us in a negative way.' We'd like to be super transparent about the future of [Half-Life 3], but the problem is we think the twists and turns we're going through probably would drive people more crazy than just being silent."

Uh, the overall issue has always been with Valve's strategy of communicating the future of the franchise. There's nothing wrong with criticizing them for that, especially when this company says that they value feedback. Maybe you should spend less time criticizing the critics, and more time recognizing that some of your peers aren't happy with the way Valve's handling some things.

How many times do they have to say, "We'll tell you when there's things we should talk about," before it's ok to call the really exaggerated and often childish response really exaggerated and often childish? Once a year? Once a month? Daily?

I have no problem admitting that Valve could just come out and say, "Hey no new news right now. Just a heads up." but that won't change the fact that people are getting really bent out of shape about something silly. It's not the cause if their ire, it's how they take it out.

But what exactly is the "exaggerated and often childish" may I ask? Perhaps I've been out of the loop, but all I've seen is the stupid "There's a 3 in the article! 3 is a number! HL3 confirmed!" jokes that was old 2 years ago.

Or are we talking about the bunch that are tired of all the left 4 deads, dota's, team fortress 2 updates, etc.? Those that don't really play MP games? I'm sure most of this group just don't care anymore, and if it comes it comes. If its half as good as Half-Life 2, great - if its DNF/Aliens: CM... then oh well.

And yet you failed to look into the quote

No problem. My comments just seemed to cause
a whole bunch of confusion and when I tried to minimize the confusion I misspoke
and caused a whole bunch more confusion. So I thought it was best just to take
the comments down. I know there are lots of fans out there who love all the
games we do and are excited to know anything at all about them. The most
important thing to know about voice actors is that we’re the last to know
anything. We don’t find out about a project until we get hired to do voices for
it. What I was trying to say before (and failed) is that whatever Gabe Newell
has to say about a project is the best info you’re going to get. He owns the
company and knows what’s going on. Sorry that I gave the impression that I know
what’s going on. I really wasn’t trying to and I really don’t know. I do know
that all the folks at Valve work really hard and their only goal is for gamers
to have cool games to play. I doubt that will ever change.

Again voice actors are the last people to know whats happening on a project. Just because they don't know doesn't mean nothings happening

Well first off, what do people get out of it? It's not like Valve is sitting on a complete Half-Life 3 that they play all day and laugh as others go without.

It also speaks to people feeling they are entitled to, or deserve, the game and information regarding it. Which is frankly silly. Valve have always done things their way for better or worse. A bunch of people getting huffy about it is going to get you less results than just being nice and asking Gabe. Which will also not get you much.

They do things at their own pace in their own way. Nothing can be done, so best to just relax and be patient. Valve are lucky that they can choose NOT to rush a game out before it is ready. If it were up to some fans, we'd have had 5 really poorly made HL games out by now.

Well said mait ,Well said
I know that the truly valve's fans like the way that Bellevue team work and we like way they show their products like , we just need to be patient cause the next valve's title will Certainly blow everybody minds off :geek:

Well on a lighter note,
I gotta go take my medication for Half-Life withdrawals (just kiddin of course)
But in all seriousness, I think we just need to be patient, I think we are getting closer to more information..Who knows? We might get info at GAMESCOM, or PAX, or maybe when the consoles come out this fall/winter, or whatever.

(Oh and on my quest to find Riomhaire, it was a very life changing experience, brutal, harsh, I barely made it out alive, my last memory was Gabe Newell.....descending from the heavens, with a crowbar extended out for me to grab...to take me back, too the light...)

Ok seriously, does no one really get it? Why would they share HL3 details development with a voice actor? And to this specific detail? Even if, he wouldnt be allowed to tell anyone. So I dont get what all this is about.
Look guys, this fella doesn't realize this thing is over and done with, and he keeps complaining about it. What a laugh!

How nice of you

363bz5.jpg

Yeah what a lovely laugh...I was reacting to OXX...Who obviously same as me didnt think its over.

Well....apparently I f*cked up somewhere along the line, would anyone like to tell me where?

-escapist "news" video-

Why the hell did Escapist include footage of somebody noclipping out of bounds in the Ep2 ending to shoot the Advisors? Must be representative of true Half-Life 3 gameplay.

I seriously hate how stupidly overblown this entire idiotic situation became.

It's literally impossible to have a normal conversation on this forum without people getting flamed and turning into a completely one sided conversation. Yeah I completely agree that another Portal or L4D would be amazing. They are making other games as well like F-STOP but people don't want that and they know it. They are making what they want which is good but you still have to cater to your audience. Yeah games from Valve do take time to be good but a whole decade and more? The USA invaded Iraq in 2004 and now 8 years later we are pulling out with an African American president now. We have advanced cell phones, etc. It's looking like this: http://duke.a-13.net/ To be fair there has been a lot from Valve since that time but not a full HL. That whole episode plan really botched the flow.

Half-Life 3 needs to finish the story at least Gordon Freemans story. It's been called a trilogy by Gabe himself and needs to be finished. Anything HL3 related is mocked and joked about. When it does come out it might turn out to be like Duke though. Also we do have concept art for HL3 and if Patrick did indeed make those comments 2 years ago, he would know if HL3 was being made or not. He does multiple voice work for games including Valve. Most recently DOTA 2 in fact. Of course let's not forget he is married to Ellen McLain as well.

*Also when anything HL related comes out this site has huge amounts of traffic. Old members return just for the HL information. This site was first and foremost for HL but that was changed as it now encompases Valve as a whole. This is because Valve puts out jack shit for HL.

It's literally impossible to have a normal conversation on this forum without people getting flamed and turning into a completely one sided conversation. Yeah I completely agree that another Portal or L4D would be amazing. They are making other games as well like F-STOP but people don't want that and they know it. They are making what they want which is good but you still have to cater to your audience. Yeah games from Valve do take time to be good but a whole decade and more? The USA invaded Iraq in 2004 and now 8 years later we are pulling out with an African American president now. We have advanced cell phones, etc. It's looking like this: http://duke.a-13.net/ To be fair there has been a lot from Valve since that time but not a full HL. That whole episode plan really botched the flow.

Half-Life 3 needs to finish the story at least Gordon Freemans story. It's been called a trilogy by Gabe himself and needs to be finished. Anything HL3 related is mocked and joked about. When it does come out it might turn out to be like Duke though. Also we do have concept art for HL3 and if Patrick did indeed make those comments 2 years ago, he would know if HL3 was being made or not. He does multiple voice work for games including Valve. Most recently DOTA 2 in fact. Of course let's not forget he is married to Ellen McLain as well.

*Also when anything HL related comes out this site has huge amounts of traffic. Old members return just for the HL information. This site was first and foremost for HL but that was changed as it now encompases Valve as a whole. This is because Valve puts out jack shit for HL.
Wait, let me stop you right there, how would John Patrick Lowrie know if Half-Life Three is in development, the man said it himself...
Voice actors are the last too know anything...he doesn't know what valve is doing. Period. If he did, im sure Valve would put him under some form of contract.

Yeah, ok.

1) Self righteous guy bugs a voice actor for information on a game title said actor is only cursorily involved in, and that hasn't been announced yet.

I did not bug him for anything. I just wrote a comment on his site (it was actually months ago) that if he sees Gabe Newell he can tell him fans are angry at them 'cause of no HL (which is more or less true). He replied recently that he's gonna ask them about HL3 at the International so after the tournament I just asked him back whether he found out anything. And then he hit me with that mo-cap quote. It was just as unexpected for me as for everybody else. So I posted it on the forums.
Now. I admit I liked the idea of spreading it around the net which was probably stupid. I'll get back to it in a minute.

2) Everyone ignores the fact that IF he's done any work for the game and IF he has any real information on the game at all, that he would also be under an NDA.
Nobody ignored the fact that he might be under NDA. In fact, JPL himself wrote many months ago that if he'd be working on HL3 he wouldn't be able to say anything 'cause of NDAs. Again, I just quoted what he said about what he learned at the International. He said that himself, with no bugging at my part. And since he gave a specific reason for HL3's absence it was rather obvious he wasn't lying about his involvement in the production.

7) Self righteous dude posts it all over telling people to get real mad so Valve will tell everybody to stop being retards and then self righteous dude can feel accomplished for having "forced" Valve to say something.
Yeah. Sure, pretty much.

How many times do they have to say, "We'll tell you when there's things we should talk about," before it's ok to call the really exaggerated and often childish response really exaggerated and often childish?
Until they explicitly say whether they're working or not working on it.

Here's the thing you seem to miss about the "HL3 situation", Jossi: nobody knows whether they're actually working on it or willing to work on it. Your points would be absolutely valid if the development of the game was confirmed and we'd be just waiting for any news. They did that with TF2, they could do that with HL3. I don't mind waiting for a game a long time and I don't mind getting no news about it. What I do mind is when the company refuses to even acknowledge it's making it. It's perfectly valid and natural for fans to doubt HL3's dev considering Valve's recent focus on MP titles. And since Valve promised fans the damn game it's only natural for them to feel frustrated and forgotten. There's hardly anything childish or exaggerated in this (well, maybe the latter sometimes ;])
You, on the other hand, start from the assumption they're willing to make Half-Life 3 and that we're just waiting for the news. But that may or may not be true and we've got no way of knowing. And while I share that assumption with you many fans don't and it's their right to be angry - especially if a voice actor says things like the ones JPL said recently.

LOOK WHAT YOU DID RODYA!

Yeah, I see. Kinda sad.
Look, I'm sorry for any confusion my actions might've brought, ok? Just relax everyone and get back to your daily routine. I already apologized to everybody, it's finally time for ValveTime forums and I'm done :p To my defense - it was not my idea to spread the news around to get Valve to comment on the matter. Though I admit of course I jumped on it happily feeling that it might be a breakthrough of somekind. It wasn't and I was terribly stupid to think that it might be so sorry again to everyone for confusion. And though I must say I think the community overall is better off knowing the contents of JPL's comments rather than not knowing my actions probably caused more confusion and panic than clarity.

So sorry about that.

You can be assured I'm not gonna pull anything like this ever again. I'm getting off this train. Now that I've been responsible for a HL3 rumour myself I'm not gonna pay attention to any more regarding this game. I know now too much about where these things come from.

And yet you failed to look into the quote

I've updated it myself you moron.

Wait, let me stop you right there, how would John Patrick Lowrie know if Half-Life Three is in development, the man said it himself...
Voice actors are the last too know anything...he doesn't know what valve is doing. Period. If he did, im sure Valve would put him under some form of contract.
Oh yeah it's widely known that voice actors come near the end. That being said they are deeply involved with the corp for many years. They are a husband and wife and I'm pretty sure the other knows what the other is doing for work. They are always under an NDA when working with Valve. There is no NDA though because there is no HL3. Some places though don't even want you to acknowledge it at all because the NDA is so strict! I think I read something yesterday in fact about Bethesda getting caught lying to fans about Prey 2.

Oh yeah it's widely known that voice actors come near the end. That being said they are deeply involved with the corp for many years. They are a husband and wife and I'm pretty sure the other knows what the other is doing for work. They are always under an NDA when working with Valve. There is no NDA though because there is no HL3. Some places though don't even want you to acknowledge it at all because the NDA is so strict! I think I read something yesterday in fact about Bethesda getting caught lying to fans about Prey 2.

Yep, and the JIRA and Valve tour leak kind of say that Half-Life 3 is just not an interest at Valve. Regardless of what JPL said. Esports, ingame economies and hardware is a bigger interest for them, as they've said.

Episode 3/HL3 joins the ranks of Prospero and SOB among KIA projects.

That's all I will say on the matter.

An update:
No problem. My comments just seemed to cause a whole bunch of confusion and when I tried to minimize the confusion I misspoke and caused a whole bunch more confusion. So I thought it was best just to take the comments down. I know there are lots of fans out there who love all the games we do and are excited to know anything at all about them. The most important thing to know about voice actors is that we’re the last to know anything. We don’t find out about a project until we get hired to do voices for it. What I was trying to say before (and failed) is that whatever Gabe Newell has to say about a project is the best info you’re going to get. He owns the company and knows what’s going on. Sorry that I gave the impression that I know what’s going on. I really wasn’t trying to and I really don’t know. I do know that all the folks at Valve work really hard and their only goal is for gamers to have cool games to play. I doubt that will ever change.

hey Kitfox your using then wrong, it is THAN, like Russia is bigger than Andorra; I'll buy tickets then I'll go to the concert...

That being said. Stop being fanboys, if the game never comes out that would sucks but there's nothing we can do, Is not our company, don't be a crazy person thinking valve owes something. You bought their games well good, that doesn't mean they have to give you more!

Hey amtherik thanks buddy, but i'm gonna keep it there for legacy sake. Also you're using your wrong.

Back