Kid stopped from playing halo 3, kills mother.

simonjedi

Spy
Reaction score
LYRIA ? Daniel Petric shot his parents -- killing his mother -- because they wouldn't allow him to play the violent video game Halo 3, prosecutors told a judge at the boy's murder trial Monday.

The trial, on charges of murder and attempted murder, opened Monday for Petric, 17, of Brighton Township. He is being tried without a jury before Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty because of Petric's age. In their opening state ments, prosecutors outlined this version of events surrounding the shooting:

In September 2007, Daniel, then 16, had sneaked out of his bedroom window to purchase the game at a store against his father's orders. When he returned home, his parents caught him with the game and took it from him. His father, Mark, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, put the game in a lockbox in a closet where he also kept a 9mm handgun, according to prosecutors.

About a month later, on Oct. 20, 2007, Daniel used his father's key to open the lockbox and remove the gun and the game. The boy shot his parents, killing his mother and gravely wounding his father. As his father lay wounded, Daniel tried to place the gun in his father's hand.

Daniel fled after his sister and her husband arrived at the house, taking the Halo 3 game with him.

Also on Monday, a tearful Mark Petric testified that his son came up behind him as he sat on the couch and said, "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

Petric, 45, said he "expected a pleasant surprise" and closed his eyes. Then his head went numb. As the blood poured from a bullet wound in his head, he realized his wife, Susan Petric, 43, was lying dead on a nearby loveseat, shot in the head, arms and chest.

Petric said his son shoved the gun into his hand saying, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it."

Mark Petric broke down on the witness stand as he said he believes he survived the shooting only because his daughter and husband arrived at the house to watch an Indians game. He heard his son telling them they couldn't come inside.

"You guys shouldn't come in," Mark Petric recalled his son saying. "Mom and Dad had a big argument."

The couple, Heidi and Andrew Archer, testified they heard a moan - possibly their names being groaned - from inside the house, pushed their way in and found the elder Petric wounded and his wife dead. The elder Petric, through his shattered jaw, managed to say his son had shot him, while Daniel tried to blame his father.

Heidi Archer called 9-1-1 and then realized that Daniel had picked up the handgun that had been lying on the couch. Her husband took the gun from the boy, who gave it up without resistance.

The boy ran out of the house and fled in the family van. He was caught by Wellington police a short time later, the Halo 3 game still on the front seat.

Daniel showed little emotion throughout the trial except when his mother's autopsy photos were flashed on a large screen. He bowed his head and stared at his hands for about 20 minutes while the photos were discussed.

Petric was allowed to visit his son in jail over the past year. He said his son has apologized. "Dad, I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family," Daniel said, according to his father. "I'm so glad you are alive."

"You're my son," Petric responded. "You're my boy."

He said his wife and their son had a very close relationship.

"He was always her little boy," Petric told the judge.

Heidi Archer said the family has forgiven her brother and want him to come home because the family cannot heal until they are all together.

Daniel's lawyer, James Kersey, gave a short opening statement. He said his client had been under great stress at the time of the shooting because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection. It left Daniel with such severe spinal damage that the slightest injury could leave him paralyzed.

Daniel was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games, Kersey said. It was during that time that he became fascinated with the Halo series and would play them for hours at friends' houses. His father forbade the games, saying that were too violent and sexually explicit.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/boy_killed_mom_and_shot_dad_ov.html

:|

See, Master Chief is just a bad role model...

Not like Gordon Freeman, he teaches you how to swing a crowbar efficently.

Why do these people have to do such retarded things. Gives the media another huge anti-violent video games weapon to add to their already large arsenal, even though its not the games that do it.

I have no love for those who commit matricide. Give him the axe.

Theres obviously more to the story than the media portrays it, trying to blame the game only. My suspicion is that the kid had been oppressed his entire life by the his parents and their religion (his dad a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington), forcing him to obey their morals and beliefs and strict rules on what to do, which i guess didnt allow him to play a simple video game that even isnt that violent. After 17 years of constantly being denied to enjoy the things all other kids enjoy, he had enough.

Don't try to rationalize why someone might kill their own mother and attempt to kill their father. Oppression my ass. Don't like it? Get up and leave you pussy, don't shoot your parents in the head.

Theres obviously more to the story than the media portrays it, trying to blame the game only. My suspicion is that the kid had been oppressed his entire life by the his parents and their religion (his dad a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington), forcing him to obey their morals and beliefs and strict rules on what to do, which i guess didnt allow him to play a simple video game that even isnt that violent. After 17 years of constantly being denied to enjoy the things all other kids enjoy, he had enough.

So much for honoring one's parents.

The fact of the matter is, he killed his mom over a video game.

I knew religion couldn't be kept out of the blame for this....

lol calm down, i wasnt justifying the murder, ofcorse its way over the line. Im just saying that we shouldnt only blame the video game, lots of things has to be taken into account, not just religion, but other family problems.

"Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

WTF? That's ****ing cold.

I like how he forgives the just kid.

"Hey you just murdered the love of my life, shattered my jaw and put a bullet in my head. GOD FORGIVES YOUUUUUUUUUOUOUJOUOJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA PRAISE ALLAH."

Surely he harbors hatred in his heart.

I like how he forgives the just kid.

"Hey you just murdered the love of my life, shattered my jaw and put a bullet in my head. GOD FORGIVES YOUUUUUUUUUOUOUJOUOJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA PRAISE ALLAH."

Surely he harbors hatred in his heart.

That's the difference between you and someone of faith. I'm not saying it's easy for him to forgive, it must have been really hard. But his faith tells him to forgive. What good does harboring hatred do?

Pfft. Probably couldn't even get past Heroic.

Also, people of faith can **** off.

But his faith tells him to forgive. What good does harboring hatred do?
If nothing else it'd tell him, "You can't do whatever you please and expect to be let back into our lives and our hearts."

FFS he doesn't get the death penalty and when he gets out he's going to go home to his family, who's going to "try to heal" with him. Goddamn.

It's kinda fascinating though how the dad was still fully conscious despite being shot in the head. Allthough it says he had a shattered jaw, so he was probably just shot in the mouth from such an angle that the bullet didn't actually enter his skull.

This is really ****ed up. I mean what the ****. How is the game sexually explicit in anyway? WTF.

I do not approve of the death penalty but I would very much approve of him rotting in jail forever.

wow. lock the ****er up.

he does it with no remorse and with intent then they forgive him.

What the ****?

How is Halo sexually explicit?

Personally this kind of thing is why I'm uneasy about a) Easy availibility of guns to the general public and b) Halo.

It's a good thing we here kill our parents by sending them through a vertical portal loop until we close one, smashing their body like a watermelon.

But seriously, that's very messed up. Parents were obviously over the top, but that does not justify killing them. There's definitely more to this, some sort of mental problem I am sure.

Sounds like he never even got to play Halo 3, yet its 'violent' and 'sexually explicit' content is worth mentioning for some reason. Intriguing.

Sounds like he never even got to play Halo 3, yet its 'violent' and 'sexually explicit' content is worth mentioning for some reason. Intriguing.

Haha, this is a really good point.

There's definitely more to this, some sort of mental problem I am sure.

He could just be addicted to video games*. Someone very close to me always overreacted when their parents forbade them from doing a video game, or called them to go someplace which caused them to put down their game. Some people take addictions to higher levels than others.

*Believe it or not, some of you might be addicted to video games.

I think alot of kids play violent games they shouldnt be playing at all, and play to much in general.
But this right here I blame on America.

Kids in America are spoiled ****s and this kid has the added benefit of being ****ing psychotic.

Exactly. And that every god damn person owns a gun.

Well thats an generalizing it, but I suppose the spoiled comment was too.

Kids in America are spoiled ****s and this kid has the added benefit of being ****ing psychotic.

Exactly. And that every god damn person owns a gun.

Fear not! For we have Captain Generalization and Stereotype Boy are here to save us from addressing the real issues!

EDIT: It appears they wish their superpowers to be known to all who see them!

Please Krynn. Are you trying to say the large majority of kids in America aren't spoiled? Everybody knows I didn't mean all American kids were spoiled and if they didn't they're just plain silly. The gun nut thing is a stupid stereotype that everyone who doesn't live in the US seems to believe.

Back