LAID OFF - Proof my Resume - Helplife2.net

Reaction score
I just got laid off yesterday. I already have a few leads and I expect to be employed again fairly soon because I was apparantly the bomb at my work. didnt really realize it till the flurry of goodbye emails lamenting them 'letting the wrong people go.' I got a lot of support from executives there but I need a clean resume to present to these HR's from other companies.

Please take a look at this and correct any grammar or unclear parts. It was thrown together fairly quickly but I need to submit it to several places before 3 of the position openings close on 8-30-10. Be brutal, I need this to be clear and eye catching to stand out among a throng of thousands of retards' resumes.

Also if anyone knows of a fairly accurate typing test website for 10 key and alphanumeric typing tests point me to it. Dont say "google it" because google led me to a few that are not really accurate or test truly how an employer does. I need an accurate number for the resume to match what I test at.

Cover Letter said:
To Whom It May Concern:

I am very interested in the Administrative Coordinator position at your Phoenix location. I have administrative experience in the construction field, and extensive coordinating and dispatching experience from my work with the ~~~~ “~~~~~” trades. As a young worker pursuing my degree in the administrative field, I feel that I would be a valuable asset to your team.

During my three years with ~~~~, I climbed from a fresh out of high school data entry clerk to a full-fledged construction coordinator. I was responsible for maintaining the production schedule of our concrete department for the entire Arizona region, as well as ensuring all materials and vendors arrived to the jobs on time and under budget. Extensive networking with field and administrative personnel from the concrete department and other trades, such as framers and plumbers, was necessary to meet the daily needs of the job. Research and coordination, resource planning, and accurate communication were an integral part of this position. The open position ~~~ has available has really “jumped out” at me as it seems as if it were tailored specifically for my skills and abilities.

Home builders are going through a very turbulent time, and I am looking for a stable company with which to continue a long and successful administrative career. ~~~ is the perfect match, and I have a valuable skill set to contribute.

Please do not hesitate to contact any of my references. I have extensive contacts from my former employment and can provide any additional contacts or information that you may require.

Thank you very much for your time,

RAK

Resume said:
RAKURAI TENJIN

123 FAKE STREET

~~~~, AZ 99999

Phone: 999-999-9999

E-mail: [email protected]

Summary

Experienced coordinator with a knack for problem solving. Successful background in driving process improvements and waste reduction. Ability to adapt and manage time in order to meet deadlines and individual project requirements. Positive attitude with a workhorse mentality.

Education

High School Diploma

~~ High School, ~~~~, Arizona

2003 – 2007

Experience

Construction Coordinator

|||||, LLC

February 2009 – Present

• Created daily work schedules based on production quotas for concrete slab pours and inspections for the Arizona region. Researched future production quotas and requirements in order to ensure proper manpower, vendors, and material would be available at that time.

• Networked with field superintendents via Nextel radio, phone, and email to ensure work and inspections were completed on schedule. Gathered and verified accuracy of information from the field about completed jobs in order to create daily work schedules.

• Placed orders and provided logistics support for material shipping and transfer- aggregate for pickup by haulers and concrete from batch plants to jobsites. This work required the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Oracle Purchase Orders, and networking skill.

• Helped to keep projects within budget by tracking all materials movement and utilization. Created accurate reports of material, tool, and supply usage for operations managers.

• Remained on call via Blackberry and radio to receive and dispatch materials orders for daily concrete pours from job superintendants. This is a high intensity, fast paced aspect of concrete pouring with time management being essential due to dealing with perishable materials.

• Performed accurate data entry of job information into databases for all termite pre-treatments performed on new homes as required and audited by Arizona law. Progressed job information in Oracle Job Movement and Microsoft Access Databases. Created an accurate history file and maintained a filing system of all treatments as required by Arizona law.

• Voice recorded the next day's daily work schedule and periodic safety reminders for field employees on a recorded dispatch phone line.

Admin I

||||, LLC

January 2008 – February 2009

• Performed payroll and supply usage data entry for construction coordinators.

• Assisted with logistics and schedule creation, scanned and distributed schedules to personnel.

Realtor’s Assistant

|||||, Realtor

July 2007 – November 2007

• Answered phones, took detailed messages, scheduled appointments.

Achievements

• Reduced waste at ~~~~ by helping to implement improved processes for material pickup by subcontractors.

• Reduced downtime and created a more ‘even flow’ of production at ~~~ by creating a new process for schedule creation and manpower research.

• Awarded certificate of appreciation for service “Above and Beyond” from ~~~~ Concrete Department.

• Awarded Employee of the Month for April 2010 at ~~~~.

• Recognized as a Super Scholar for “Exceeding” in all three AIMS tests (A.R.S. 15-701.01)

Computer Skills

• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.

• Ability to use network resources and external data in order to research and improve upon daily tasks.

• Keyboard Typing Skills – 70+ WPM, Ten Key 10,000+ KSPH

<insert gang related joke here>

because I was apparantly the bomb at my work.

Who says that anymore?

But anyway, good luck on your future employment.

You should change the order of the sections to:

Code:
[B]Summary/Skills (Combine)
Employment[/B]
Job I                       Dates
     Responsibilities
          - bullet points
     Achievements
          - bullet points 
Job II                      Dates
     Responsibilities
          - bullet points
     Achievements
          - bullet points 
Job III                     Dates
     Responsibilities
          - bullet points
     Achievements
          - bullet points 
[B]Education[/B]
[B]Or put Achievements section here[/B]

I'd say putting Achievements under Experience is optional, but it feels more focused when I immediately know which job each one deals with. As long as it doesn't look repetitive or add too many lines/ look like padding, use your best judgment on that.

Remember, most important/relevant things first, or they'll throw your resume in the trash.

Good luck. It's difficult times right now, but I have a feeling you'll find something soon.

thx appreciate it. I might put Education lower since it is not that impressive. I'm just glad I have a better shot than those with 4 yr degrees but no experience.

Maybe I should update the wpm.

wpmf.jpg

Thanks for the link. Know of any ten key tests?

The resume is fine. What's going to help you land a job isn't making slight improvements to it in the hopes of standing out against 500 others, it's circumventing that ridiculous system entirely.

Don't send applications for jobs - find out who the hiring manager is (do not under any circumstances go to HR), call them up and sell yourself in for the job. Do it right, and bingo, you have an interview set up right there and then.

When I got made redundant last year, I identified three companies I'd be interested in working for (we don't have much in the way of decent work down here...), phoned up the MD of all of them and got two interviews out of it. There wasn't even a vacancy where I work now - my boss created a position for me anyway. And he hadn't even seen my CV/resume when I first met him - it was irrelevant, we discussed all that we needed to on the phone.

Most importantly, I got what I consider to be my perfect job at the perfect company. That's unlikely to result from playing the numbers game.

As a headhunter now I can also assure you that results only happen on a consistent basis by talking directly to the people who have the problem that needs solving (ie. the hiring managers). HR monkeys, by and large, are pointless paper-shuffling bureaucrats who a) know little about what they're supposed to be recruiting for and b) have no stake, interest or sense of urgency in actually getting the right person on board. They're more interested in following their bewildering and inefficient processes, and more often than not, just obstruct the process from producing the right results.

Think of it this way - your future boss is fretting because he needs someone on board yesterday, he's really busy and doesn't have time to wade through all the identical CVs the HR department take ages to send him. Then out of the blue he gets a call from someone who can do the job and wants to come and meet him - what a relief!

I can't stress this enough. It's not your CV that's going to make the big difference in how soon you find employment again and the quality of that work, it's how you approach the jobseeking process in the first place. Circumvent all the competition and the bureaucracy - talk to the people that matter.

Maybe I should update the wpm.

wpmf.jpg

Thanks for the link. Know of any ten key tests?

My fastest's 123 WPM(That was on TypeRacer though), and yes, I totally felt this post contributed to the thread.:naughty:

I don't know why it records accuracy the way it does. That's not an accurate way of recording accuracy. I mean, normal typists miss keystrokes all the time, it's about whether or not you catch them. I make a fair number of mistakes sometimes... call it fat fingers or whatever, but I can "feel" when I've made a mistake and quickly back up to correct it.

Contacting people directly is the best way.

Something like only 30-50% of ALL jobs are publicised on job sites and in newspapers etc. Its all about knowing someone who knows someone who could put your name forward and get an interview.

Staying in the same industry makes it even easier, just ask your last boss if he recommends any contacts and go from there. Any hiring agencies they use etc.

At the end of the day, the resume/CV only gets them slightly interested. Half of what you put into it wont even get read, they'll just see that you have academic qualifications, and they want to see how what you did in your previous job relates to the one you're gunning for.

General points I think which need improving.

Opening summary is too colloquial (knack for problem solving?), also too full of default / meaningless terms. It also doesn't target a specific position - should have something tailored towards the position you are applying for since it's the first thing read.

Summary should also be in 1st person, job descriptions are in 3rd (which you have done).

Key skills should be after the summary with a bullet point list of your main skills.

Education next - if you didn't do so great at school just put down what you passed (not the grades). If they ask later you can tell them.

Qualifications and Achievements next - extra stuff outside of education, so courses, first aid etc.

Employment history now, I'd advise laying it out like this

Code:
[B]May 2003-                              Valve Corporation
June 2004                              Position:[/B] Tea boy

Duties:
*Bullet point duties
*All in 3rd person
*Keep on going like this!

Once you've completed that - Interests & Other, put a few down (don't put down shooting my neighbours), if you have a driving license include that. Full, clean driving license (if that applies to you).

Lastly References - just write 'Available upon request'.

And that is all my advice from working in the arsehole of the recruitment industry for 2 years. Good luck!

Nobody here mentioned this yet, but I thought you cannot use informal phrases in CVs and resumes?

I mean "full-fledged" and "knack for problem solving" from the part that I read.

Also, you generally do not put commas before "and".

Contacting people directly is the best way.

Something like only 30-50% of ALL jobs are publicised on job sites and in newspapers etc. Its all about knowing someone who knows someone who could put your name forward and get an interview.

Staying in the same industry makes it even easier, just ask your last boss if he recommends any contacts and go from there. Any hiring agencies they use etc.

At the end of the day, the resume/CV only gets them slightly interested. Half of what you put into it wont even get read, they'll just see that you have academic qualifications, and they want to see how what you did in your previous job relates to the one you're gunning for.

Exactly. Also, with those jobs that are publicised on job sites and in newspapers, you will have a lot of competition. As with all openings which are whored out on the internet, the chances are, the competition won't be particularly great, but the sheer volume of applications means you are fairly likely to be missed out on, even if you're perfect for the job.

Then a lot of companies will be open-minded to getting someone on board but not have the time or impetus to actually do anything about it...until you call.

If they are actively recruiting, it doesn't necessarily mean they will advertise either. The best candidates usually aren't looking for work and don't respond to adverts, and the administrative burden generated by advertising usually outweighs the benefit - so important positions (and not just at the senior level) are often handled by headhunters. You will never hear about them just by looking.

Tap into the hidden job market - get on the phone.

Nobody here mentioned this yet, but I thought you cannot use informal phrases in CVs and resumes?

I mean "full-fledged" and "knack for problem solving" from the part that I read.

Would you really want to work for someone who would make the decision to not look at employing someone based on subtle semantics of their CV?

I'm not saying this CV advice isn't correct, I'm just saying it shouldn't matter in the first place. The important questions you need to answer are - can you do the job? What can you do to help the manager achieve his goals? How can you make the company money?

To that end, assuming there are no obvious sins committed in terms of grammar, spelling, layout etc, the only piece of advice I'd give on writing a CV which is critically important is to make it achievement-focused and not responsibility-focused. Everyone knows what a buyer/foreman/salesman/whatever does. What conveys the benefit to the employer is what you did in that position to help the company make money, save time or money, or make the manager look good.

At the end of the day, CVs are a shit way of assessing suitability for a job. By submitting a CV you're basically inviting them to look for reasons not to consider you, as you've given them just enough information to rule you out, very possibly based on an assumption - but not enough information to select you.

Getting a job is a sales process. As in any sales context, you will have infinitely more success by getting in direct contact with the customer, understanding their specific requirements and demonstrating how you meet those. If you can master the art of selling yourself into companies (providing you ARE actually good at your job), you will never have problems getting the kind of work you want ever again.

You are correct, I did mention it too. Even worse is the fact that it is the first thing you read on the CV. It changed my initial opinion on the type of CV it was going to be.

Would you really want to work for someone who would make the decision to not look at employing someone based on subtle semantics of their CV?

If I got the job and liked it I wouldn't mind this quirk ;)

As you said CVs are a crap way of assessing suitability, but when you write it and notice subtle errors (or someone notices them for you) you might as well iron them out. I didn't say they disqualify the CV.

Agreed. I'm just pointing out something far more critical to Rakurai's success (and everyone else reading this, for that matter) than small improvements to his already decent CV. Law of diminishing returns and all that. It will do no harm whatsoever for him to implement all of the CV advice that has been given - it just won't give him anything like the same return on investment he would get by getting on the phone and talking to the right people.

The approach probably sounds a bit radical to most people, who are conditioned into sending off 100 job applications and hoping to hear something back from one or two. In one form or another, however, it is how most top people find their next position, and how most companies find top people to work for them.

Also fair to point out that I've managed to make a pretty good living by doing exactly this in the manufacturing industry in a recession (ouch), when the company also has to pay me a 30% of salary fee to employ that person (no such concerns if you're calling them off your own back). It works.

Generally, at least here, employers prefer a concentrated and neat CV, rather than one listing every activity in your life. Try and pick the experiences and skills that you think is relevant to the particular job you're looking for, and keep it short.

Number one rule; never just type out one CV and send them to as many jobs as you can. Always tailor each CV to the specific job. Only ever include in the CV aspects of your previous jobs that apply to the job you are applying for.

i.e. if the job is in IT, they dont want to read about your young enterprise awards in school, that kind of thing can be brought up in the interview. Remember, the CV isnt what gets you the job - its the interview. You could have the best CV in the world, the best experience in the world, but if youre a dick, they probably wont hire you, or if they feel you might not fit in.

Look at me for example. I secured my first ever job interview (that wasnt some part-time job at a paintball site like I did during my A-levels) before I had even graduated from Uni, through people I knew. They liked who I was, my attituded, how I held myself physically (the director actually said he thought I held myself pretty well sitting opposite him), and I answered the questions he had (of which there actually werent many) with honesty. ''Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?'', ''Where do you see the water industry in 10 years time'' etc etc. You have to wing it or be prepared for it. They will always know if you've rehearsed answers. And did I have any experience? Err, 48 hours of GIS software usage as a result of 2 hour lectures, once a week in 2nd and 3rd year of Uni. Where did I go? To spend the last 6 months of a water treatment project, asset managing a water treatment plant on the Nile in Sudan. Once in a lifetime stuff. And Im bloody 23.

Also, a neat CV that is well presented, 1 page long and has correct grammar does make a difference, especially if youre applying for a job that is advertised to the public which, like repiV pointed out, every tom dick and harry will be applying for, so every thing you can do to make yourself stand out is important.

Try and make your CV look like you put in some effort as well. I for one put a page border on my CV, a simple line that goes around the edges of the page about 2cm in. Plain bits of paper with writing over them looks boring. Make it look tasteful and different and clean. Dont go over the top and import pictures of course, just keep it simple. Think ''will anyone else have done that?''. Put your phone number and name as a header-footer in the corner of each page. Number each page if you have 2 pages. Yeah maybe thats not necessary, dont make it too crowded, and of course how you flash up your CV is up to you. Remember; someone will probably spend about 30 seconds reading your CV. First impression is everything!

Never write CV or Resume anywhere, the first line they read should always be your name at the top with your address and contact details. They know its a CV.

Education is difficult and entirely dependant on the person. I for one have my first line under education as my degree and what Uni I got it from. I then did list my primary and secondary schools, simply because those schools were overseas, backing up anything I say about overseas experience, ambition to continue working overseas etc etc. Also, that makes me STAND OUT. ''This guy went to school in Malaysia and Dubai, see anyone else this interesting?''. If you gets you in the door and into an interview, thats the hardest part over. All you then have to do is not ***k it up!

Most people just put their degree and where they got it from, and thats fine, but your A-levels wont hurt if you add them in; remember, they are searching for reasons NOT to pick you. Always. So maybe they DO want to know your A-levels, they may have not written it down on the advert, but if they're not there and the HR guy has 200 more to go through and he's due to leave the office in 30 mins as its 4:30pm, he's going to cast you aside until he finds someone suitable that DID put his A-levels down, by which time you may have been forgotten, coffee spilled on your CV, you never know. Play it safe.

Keep it to 1 page if you can. 2 is fine but you might come across as a bit needy, trying to sell yourself too hard etc. If its 3 pages, dont even bother sending it, unless your work experience in the field you're applying for spans numerous companies and responsibilities etc that take up a whole page on their own.

I hate the word "networked" when really you mean you just talked. I am not sure what level of people are you are dealing with, but in my limited experience with the construction industry is that they aren't very keen on bullshit, and prefer a reliable person to a smart person.

Actually was going to clean up my resume tomorrow, gotta go huntin for recruiters at my Uni.

<insert gang related joke here>

Who says that anymore?

But anyway, good luck on your future employment.

Oh, god, I lol'd. I said something along the lines of "It's like i'm really in the 90's.".

Summary should also be in 1st person, job descriptions are in 3rd (which you have done).

Got it, made these corrections. Appreciate it.

I'm having my parents try to pull some strings in the energy field. I also got a lot of people from my old work (and vendors I worked with) hit me up on email asking them to send my resume and contact info to them. Has me feeling a lot better because I've worked with these vendors for a couple years now and they already know my working ethic and style.

Thx for the advice everyone else as well, I've taken and used a lot of what you guys all said. A lot of no nonsense straightforwardness in this forum for once! :thumbs:

I was iffy about this as well. But I wanted to emphasize going from a type monkey to essentially almost a manager overnight. I need to find a better way to put this though. Any advice?

Sent out around near 50 or so resumes and applications so far I believe.

I finally got a decent reply (from craigslist of all places) that wasnt stupid scams and such

"Paul I am interested in speaking with you.. I am interested in knowing what salary expectation you have hourly?.. I am the Accountant for the business, I need someone interested in working and making the business successful also implementing just about everything from the ground floor. Learning a few programs, with some organization it will be a well oiled machine ( so to speak). I am conducting Interviews, I just don't want to waste anyones time if they are out of our budget,, also the office is basically off Cave Creek- 32nd - is that a far commute??? things to consider.. I am overwhelmed with resumes- I have a strong construction background, and prefer the ethics of those from a construction office because they are usually the type of people who follow up and match things etc... Please . feel free to call me after 9 am. 555-555-5555 If you get this and want to email before- feel free to do so. Please just don't call me until after 9 am.

The only problem it IS a long commute. It's about 40 miles one way, so it'd be 80 daily. I was commuting 50 miles (100 daily) at my last job, but that was unbearable and only because we were absorbed into the parent company and forcibly transferred from our original location.

I don't know what to do. I HATE to turn down an interview offer in this economy. But it really is so far. I am so torn right now. If I say no-- what if I dont get another offer to interview in a long long time??? I think I'm going to throw out about 20 to 25 dollars an hour to her and see if she just laughs at me considering it sounds like a smaller, new company. May be worth it if they can meet that but I highly doubt it.

Any advice?

If the commute is a genuine worry, you may have to consider getting/negotiating a place to stay during the week closer to the office, and then live at home on the weekends (usually means leaving sunday night, arriving home friday afternoon), which will save time and save YOU money on bills etc as they should drop.

Or negotiate some kind of cover-my-petrol-costs scheme. If they want you bad enough, stuff like this can always be naggled in.

And if they turn you down as a result of the way you feel about the commute, then say thanks for your time, leave and look elsewhere. Its their decision, not yours.

Simple fact; if its out of your control, why worry about it? My own life motto.

I know people, including close family members, who have done longer commutes for decades. I'd suggest you have a talk with him, it should be an option considering jobs aren't too easy to get these days. Commute might be rough, but it'd be better than unemployment and if you were to get the job you could leave when something better (closer) comes up some months/years down the line.

The resume is fine. What's going to help you land a job isn't making slight improvements to it in the hopes of standing out against 500 others, it's circumventing that ridiculous system entirely.

Don't send applications for jobs - find out who the hiring manager is (do not under any circumstances go to HR), call them up and sell yourself in for the job. Do it right, and bingo, you have an interview set up right there and then.

When I got made redundant last year, I identified three companies I'd be interested in working for (we don't have much in the way of decent work down here...), phoned up the MD of all of them and got two interviews out of it. There wasn't even a vacancy where I work now - my boss created a position for me anyway. And he hadn't even seen my CV/resume when I first met him - it was irrelevant, we discussed all that we needed to on the phone.

Most importantly, I got what I consider to be my perfect job at the perfect company. That's unlikely to result from playing the numbers game.

As a headhunter now I can also assure you that results only happen on a consistent basis by talking directly to the people who have the problem that needs solving (ie. the hiring managers). HR monkeys, by and large, are pointless paper-shuffling bureaucrats who a) know little about what they're supposed to be recruiting for and b) have no stake, interest or sense of urgency in actually getting the right person on board. They're more interested in following their bewildering and inefficient processes, and more often than not, just obstruct the process from producing the right results.

Think of it this way - your future boss is fretting because he needs someone on board yesterday, he's really busy and doesn't have time to wade through all the identical CVs the HR department take ages to send him. Then out of the blue he gets a call from someone who can do the job and wants to come and meet him - what a relief!

I can't stress this enough. It's not your CV that's going to make the big difference in how soon you find employment again and the quality of that work, it's how you approach the jobseeking process in the first place. Circumvent all the competition and the bureaucracy - talk to the people that matter.
Oh god, I couldn't agree with you more RepiV. I personally think the whole application and resume thing is broken beyond belief. I must've applied for a dozen or so jobs in the last couple of weeks only to find out that a buddy or a cousin of mine gets the same job because they circumvented the process.

I've learned that if you want a job these days, you need to get your foot in the door personally and make yourself known. Furthermore, it's even more imperative to be a more aggressive job seeker in smaller towns such as where I live because in smaller communities, most businesses rely on nepotism already and the crummy economy only compounds the difficulty to find some work. You know, Billy Bob wants to hire his daughter for that cashier position, or district supervisor Ellie Mae wants to hire Joe Dean to be manager. I F**KING HATE THAT SHIT AND I HATE THIS F**KING ARMPIT OF FLORIDA CRAP TOWN I LIVE IN!!

The only question I have to a more aggressive approach is how are you supposed to get to a manager or supervisor if most offices have a front desk? A receptionist is likely to stop you and demand that you go through the "proper" process. Makes me want to dump a waste basket over their heads anymore when they ask for a resume and application.

Also rakurai, if you've got customer service experience and you have access to DSL, I highly recommend you to check out a few of these websites:

alpineaccess.com

Convergys.com

workingsolutions.com

Fully bonafied work, RIGHT OFF THE F**KING INTERNETS! Every client company expects you to log in at certain times on a fixed hourly income, and you get medical, dental, and 401k benefits so it's just like any other job, only you provide customer service from home. I'm moving out of my parents house to find an apartment in town (it's in a rural area without access to DSL) as soon as I start training so I can finally move on with my life. Cyberspace is definitely the next land of opportunity. With companies nationwide outsourcing their services online to home users, it's a no-brainer. Your not limited to just the area you live in anymore and there's likely always an opening since at least ONE employee somewhere in the entire world is likely going to quit, get fired, die, etc. Some websites are U.S. only, others provide services to/from the entire world so people in other countries could check it out too.

Oh god, I couldn't agree with you more RepiV. I personally think the whole application and resume thing is broken beyond belief. I must've applied for a dozen or so jobs in the last couple of weeks only to find out that a buddy or a cousin of mine gets the same job because they circumvented the process.

Yeah. It's just a self-perpetuating cycle of quantity over quality. So everyone applies for 1000 jobs and every job receives 1000 applications. It's impossible to process that sort of volume effectively, and nothing worthwhile ever results. And of course, why on earth would any busy manager bother trawling through 1000 applications when they have someone on the end of the phone right now who can do the job?

Show me a successful salesman who ever won any business by mass-emailing companies with a document detailing their product. The principle is identical to when you apply for a job.

The only question I have to a more aggressive approach is how are you supposed to get to a manager or supervisor if most offices have a front desk? A receptionist is likely to stop you and demand that you go through the "proper" process. Makes me want to dump a waste basket over their heads anymore when they ask for a resume and application.

Use the telephone. Call and speak directly to the relevant manager. :)

If you can't find out who that is prior to calling, don't ask for the "person who deals with recruitment", because you'll probably get put through to some idiot in HR/personnel who will just ask you to "send in a resumé so we can put it on file" and you're back at square one again.

If they ask what the call is regarding and, when you tell them, try to put you through to HR anyway, a simple rebuttal or two should get you through to the right person eg. "absolutely, I'd love to speak to HR, but I'd also be especially interested in getting the perspective of the person I'm going to be working for. What's his name?"

If, after a few attempts at some gentle persuasion, they still won't let you speak with the manager, you probably wouldn't want to work for such a badly managed company anyway.

Also, as a rule, the larger the company, the greater and more ridiculous the bureaucracy and the less chance you have of having a productive conversation with someone who matters, and the less chance of them being able to act on their own impetus rather than having to channel everything back through said HR idiots.

As a point of interest, as a professional recruiter I don't waste my time trying to work with large organisations. They're far more valuable for recruiting people out of. If you ever do manage to get your foot in the door, you have to put up with massive downward price pressure, have very little control over the process as everything has to get routed through HR, making it impossible to have much influence over the decision makers or the outcome, the process gets constantly delayed which kills deals and you get treated like an interchangable commodity rather than a valued resource. And so it is with you and your job search. See: giant corporations which make you fill out a 20 page application form on the internet all for the slim possibility of getting an interview. Stick to targeting small and mid-sized operations for best results.

Fully bonafied work, RIGHT OFF THE F**KING INTERNETS! Every client company expects you to log in at certain times on a fixed hourly income, and you get medical, dental, and 401k benefits so it's just like any other job, only you provide customer service from home. I'm moving out of my parents house to find an apartment in town (it's in a rural area without access to DSL) as soon as I start training so I can finally move on with my life. Cyberspace is definitely the next land of opportunity. With companies nationwide outsourcing their services online to home users, it's a no-brainer. Your not limited to just the area you live in anymore and there's likely always an opening since at least ONE employee somewhere in the entire world is likely going to quit, get fired, die, etc. Some websites are U.S. only, others provide services to/from the entire world so people in other countries could check it out too.

I worked from home for a while when I broke my leg. I absolutely hated it. It paid very generously too, I was doing lead generation for SAP and being very expensive solutions, the commission was pretty attractive for a simple telemarketing job. It didn't make up for the soul-destroying nature of working from home. I bet you any money people still commute to and from work in offices in 100 years!

Back