Levels you'd like to see in AM

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at Raising the Bar and I thought to make another of these kind sof threads.

Rules:
NO HYDRA, TRAPTOWN, AIR ECHANGE etc. or I'll beat you within an inch of your life and then an inch past it!

I'd like to see something like the plans seen for Nova Prostpekt in RtB. From what I can gather from them this was the general idea
Different bugbait system. Bugbait is finite and can be re-plenished from dead antlion guards.
Bugbait doesn't make you a pack leader, it distracts the antlions temporarily.
Antlion are not friendly, the level revolves around a huge battle between antlions and Overwatch while you sneek past.
I think it is a nice idea and I'd like to see something like that implemented in AM although of course without bugbait as that would be changing the bugbait system but having to sneek through a Combine facility under antlion siege would be cool.

Another canal section where Alyx drives and you go on the gun or vica versa.
If you chose the gun then you don't have to worry about crashing too much(although Alyx won't be the best driver either and maybe make mistakes that you mightn't have) but you won't have the ability to stop at areas to get weapon caches meaning coming out you have less equipment and health.

At least 1 non-linear section.

A dark Combine facitity with stalkers and zombies(same as antlion ones?)

St. Olga! Only joking although actualy seeing a headcrab launcher would be cool.

I like linear.

I'd like to see some more Zombie tunnels, battles on the rail tracks and a battle in an old eastern european bar or club. Yus.

Stuff with intelligent Xenians gating in and administering the smackdown on both the Combine and any Resistance members/freed Vortigaunts dumb enough to stay in the area.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:
Stuff with intelligent Xenians gating in and administering the smackdown on both the Combine and any Resistance members/freed Vortigaunts dumb enough to stay in the area.

-Angry Lawyer
You mean Controllers and Grunts? Not gonna happen man.

I'd like to see one where you get the Crowbar back , I Think the Weapon Striper was actually a Teleporter , Teleported the Weapons away

ríomhaire said:
You mean Controllers and Grunts? Not gonna happen man.

Well, obviously. The thread is "Levels you'd like to see in AM" not "Levels you think will be included in AM"

-Angry Lawyer

:LOL: Lawyer FtW 11!11!11!!!11! ...

Hmmm, a level or levels id like to see in AM .. ** Thinks for a bit **

.... Not too sure really ... I did enjoy the Zombie Tunel i have to say that, and maybe battling aside the Xen would be pretty cool

A forest... Inhabited by Zombies, mostly Fast Zombies. Swinging from tree to tree screaming like monkeys. The only light source is the moon.

Now that's something I would like to see. :)

i wanna see some of those wasteland concepts from RTB... massive rusting battlefields... hell yea

Loke said:
A forest... Inhabited by Zombies, mostly Fast Zombies. Swinging from tree to tree screaming like monkeys. The only light source is the moon.

Now that's something I would like to see. :)

Seconded.... I used that word in the right place, right?

I'm not really sure, but I know I would NOT like to go to Xen. One, isn't the course of Aftermath mainly escaping from the city? And two, even if it would make some sense, I didn't enjoy Xen in Half-Life 1 at all, and just.. no.

I definately say we need to fight those synth things we saw in the citidel. I'm sure we are, though. :D

The idea earlier, about some sort of vehicle where you could drive and Alyx could man the gun or vise versa, that would be pretty cool. You know, you could use that to get out of the city, be driving into the country or something, I don't really know. But I thought I read somewhere that the country was completely infested, so that's where the forest part or something similar could come in. Meh, Aftermath's going to kick total ass, that's one thing we can count on. :)

I hope this doesn't end up being the last post on the page so no one will see it..

Samon said:
I like linear.
Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with linear levels but a bit of non-linear would be nice.

I liked the graveyard at the end of raveholm, that was the most fun part IMO, so a large scale of that only you can only use the gravity gun and theres more thant just zombies.

Just think, pieces of citadel blasting of combine suckas'

An escape through city 17 on train with a whole bunch of resistance fighters on it, out of City 17 and into the wastelands, and maybe even arriving into a non-combine city, to see the devastation. Over all I want AM to have a more grim feel to it, although Anticitizen One and Follow Freeman were fantastically fun to play, probably 3rd best thing in HL2, the feel was a bit off. It seemed to... lame. This was revolution! Uprising against an oppressing regime that had plagued, tortured and ruled with ironfists for ten+ years! I wanna see angry mob stomping injured CPs to death while throwing rocks at the Breen screens! Not, "Hey gang! Follow Freeman!"

I wouldn't say lame was the right word, more low key, but I agree with you AJ. Throwing rocks at Breens screens, spitting on CP corpses - thats what I'm talking about :D

Samon said:
I wouldn't say lame was the right word, more low key, but I agree with you AJ. Throwing rocks at Breens screens, spitting on CP corpses - thats what I'm talking about :D
Yes, your right, low key is a much better word.

AJ Rimmer said:
Over all I want AM to have a more grim feel to it
Same. By the looks of the screens so far, I reckon that's a fairly good possibility.
The escape through the Citadel - especially with the Stalkers - looks like it'll be really dark and bizarre. But then the street scenes look cool too - the darkened skies, the rampant desperate fighting and alien wildlife pouring in.
Oh yuss.

That reminds me, when i went into Game yesterday to purchase F.E.A.R (loving it btw, scares the crap out of me) .. i picked up one of their monthly magazines, and inside it had HL2 for Xbox (Or pc, cant remember really) with screenshots of Aftermath next to it :LOL: Fools !!!

I would like to see an escape vehicle level where you don't drive but one of your buddys does. Also this escape vehicle wouldnt have some big super gun on it and stuff. I hated the fact then when you had the hovercraft you got the gun mounted on it. It would have been way more fun if there was nothing you could do about the helecopters and stuff and you just had to fly through there gunning it (buy this I mean going real fast. No its not a lame joke) as fast as you good without killing yourself. I would like this level to be in just a normal car and you are a passenger that just hangs out the window capping fools with whatever guns you have on you. Not with a turret gun on top or anything. Basically what I want is another level like the car level in call of duty.

el Chi said:
The escape through the Citadel - especially with the Stalkers - looks like it'll be really dark and bizarre. But then the street scenes look cool too - the darkened skies, the rampant desperate fighting and alien wildlife pouring in.
Oh yuss.

I waaaaaaant.

I hope they put Surface Tension, or maybe Crush Depth in Aftermath. I'd like that.

Haha, I just typed something really long and then it all got deleted. Nice on Firefox. Who the **** uses 'backspace' instead of 'back'? That's the most ridiculous and annoying keyboard shortcut ever. It's not even Ctrl+backspace. It's just backspace. What if I was trying to ****ing type something and I hit backspace? What then, huh? YES, WELL ****ING DONE, THEN I LOSE IT ALL.

Sulkdodds said:
Haha, I just typed something really long and then it all got deleted. Nice on Firefox. Who the **** uses 'backspace' instead of 'back'? That's the most ridiculous and annoying keyboard shortcut ever. It's not even Ctrl+backspace. It's just backspace. What if I was trying to ****ing type something and I hit backspace? What then, huh? YES, WELL ****ING DONE, THEN I LOSE IT ALL.
I feel your pain.

Well, I guess I'd like to see:

- scary zombie forest.
- defending a mansion that's a resistance base against an onslaught of zombies, using captured Combine machinegun emplacements and portable mortars.
- Expanses of burnt and barren motorway, littered with the broken bones of old car carcasses. Rusting service stations and pile-ups.
- Wrecked villages and towns.
- Wasteland areas - more open, if not actually non-linear. Hillsides and valleys, plains and forests and farmlands.
- Industrial wasteland - estates, rundown factories and carparks and warehouses.
- A huge oil refinery.
- Snow. Snow!
- Striders cutting the night with their searchlights.
- Rain! RAAAIN! Preferably with gunships.
- An actual seabed level with grounded ships.
- Fog also.
- Striders in one of the above.

http://www.soundstudies.com/Czechoslovakia(2).jpg
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/3dm05/g2.jpg
http://cinema.gothic***/moviestills/28_days_later9.jpg
http://torsti.pp.fi/motorway/01/01 28 Kirkkonummi Veikkola E.jpg
http://www.neystadt.org/john/album/yllas-copenhagen-prague/lapland-forest.jpg
http://vasilevsky.com/Events/2002-01-28/Road.JPG
http://pergatory.mit.edu/pwilloughby/images/Sweden/vasteras/vasteras_industrial_wasteland.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/14/14621200_6395a97ccb.jpg
http://www.bobulous.org.uk/canal/32124823/31-4.jpg
http://www.aftrp.org/images/aftrp_metiers_montereau.jpg
http://www.ocmetro.com/archives/ocmetro_2003/metro082103/images/bfIndustrialsite.gif
http://members.shaw.ca/dekon/media/casepics/oilrefin.jpg
http://www.southrhinswebdesign.com/photgraphy/ferry_aground.jpg

Sulkdodds said:
I agree a very stupid shortcut, many a time i have lost things online ;(

I also like the idea of alyx driving a vehicle of somesort and you are at the gun :p
I think it would be kool to have a section when you are escaping from the citedel where you enter a room where they store all their headcrabs (They have to be kept somewhere) and you either have to shoot the crap out of all of them or make you way to a staircase or pathway which leads to a higher pathway.

AJ Rimmer said:
An escape through city 17 on train with a whole bunch of resistance fighters on it, out of City 17 and into the wastelands, and maybe even arriving into a non-combine city, to see the devastation. Over all I want AM to have a more grim feel to it,

That sounds great.

Sulkdodds said:
Well, I guess I'd like to see:

- scary zombie forest.
- defending a mansion that's a resistance base against an onslaught of zombies, using captured Combine machinegun emplacements and portable mortars.
- Expanses of burnt and barren motorway, littered with the broken bones of old car carcasses. Rusting service stations and pile-ups.
- Wrecked villages and towns.
- Wasteland areas - more open, if not actually non-linear. Hillsides and valleys, plains and forests and farmlands.
- Industrial wasteland - estates, rundown factories and carparks and warehouses.
- A huge oil refinery.
- Snow. Snow!
- Striders cutting the night with their searchlights.
- Rain! RAAAIN! Preferably with gunships.
- An actual seabed level with grounded ships.
- Fog also.
- Striders in one of the above.

Rain would be nice, fog would be very nice. But please, no snow.

Sulkdodds said:
Sweet home :D
But I dont want level in forest because Combine anti-ecology program maybe destroyed all big forests...:(

I want see:

1.Wasteland - big part of this post-apocalyptic landscape
2.Level in train (in trailer it looks like in Razor train)
3.New laboratory of Science Team with futuristic equipment
4.Some Combine facility- clone factory mabye
5.Destroyed Black Mesa East
6.Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...(but not in AM but in HL3)

I can see some of that now actually, imagine, you, alyx (maybe Dog) and a group of resistance fighters are running as fast as you possibly can away from hundreds of zombies towards a mansion (sounds like Resi Evil 1 heh), you get inside and all take up positions and then the rain kicks in along with some thunder and lightning and fog starts to build up ..... silence ..... then all of a sudden you hear the screams of the fast zombies and you see tons of them start piling through the fog .... and soo the battle begins :)

Drackard said:
I can see some of that now actually, imagine, you, alyx (maybe Dog) and a group of resistance fighters are running as fast as you possibly can away from hundreds of zombies towards a mansion (sounds like Resi Evil 1 heh), you get inside and all take up positions and then the rain kicks in along with some thunder and lightning and fog starts to build up ..... silence ..... then all of a sudden you hear the screams of the fast zombies and you see tons of them start piling through the fog .... and soo the battle begins :)
It sounds like B movie horror :rolleyes:

The idea earlier, about some sort of vehicle where you could drive and Alyx could man the gun or vise versa, that would be pretty cool. You know, you could use that to get out of the city, be driving into the country or something, I don't really know. But I thought I read somewhere that the country was completely infested, so that's where the forest part or something similar could come in. Meh, Aftermath's going to kick total ass, that's one thing we can count on.

Here´s my take:

Escaping the city/just going somewhere in a vehicle driven by Alyx where you handle the gun. This would be a trip through the wasteland which supposedly (using Raising The Bar as reference) has alot of unfriendly wildlife, allowing for defensive action and battles with Combine (a problem with this sequence is that a lot ofgames have already featured something like this - so it´s not too original). I´m also not sure how many Xen-type creatures could make a comeback - would this fit in to the story/world? An old and semi-abandoned industrial area would also be cool (Alyx maybe stopping for fuel and supplies? Combat and some exploration)

As you get further away from the city, travelling through the wasteland, the setting would begin to change form. Gradually you would encounter more plants/trees and a generally more healthy nature. The forest is a nice idea indeed. And I´d like to see varying weather (to some degree) and a more realistic day and night cycle.

Valve probably have Aftermath pretty much lined out for themselves - but it doesn´t hurt to throw ideas around. Maybe an independent mod could be dedicated to bring this stuff to life?

A large bus or truck (train maybe?) running at breakneck speed across an infested wasteland, with enemies latching onto the back and sides, being beaten off with crowbars.
All the while a enourmous Antlion King bears down with crushing stomps and ear-shatrering whines. hellz heah.

Also an intustrial wasteland that serves as a physics playground with many intersting physics traps and toys, along with more destructible environments :D

• Not an excactly a level but I would love to see panic and lots of looting by citizens, rocks thrown at CPs that sort of thing.
  • A sniper battle on high rises buldings and train tracks.
  • An office building.
  • Some of the wasteland concepts seen in RtB, with lots of junk and oil pipes.
  • A lake with itchyosaur.
  • An old castle or fort.
  • A clean area. Without trash everywhere.
  • A gunship battle on a moving train.

Uia ^^

A Level where gordon lost himself from the group of rebels and ends in a rusted, wasted, destroyed, pos-apocalipitc ( that´s a hard word :x ) city, infested whit zombies, and all xen and combine failed experiments, REAL time day / night on this map, so make sure to watch your step, ah, and absolutely no special guns, only, 357 and Submachinegun, no life packs.

At the end of the level, after "finish" the city, he still lost, but he see the edge of the citadel on the horizont, and start to move to that direction, on the road he find a damaged car, that he fix ( He´s a brain scientist ) and stat to move in, in his path, he finds various objects that you can adapt wherever you like, and build a tank :naughty:, when he finally comes closer to the city, he see a ship on the sea, for some reason his suite become to Beeps, even clooser at the ship, and then , he finds his friends again, when he arrives, Alyx explains that Dr Kleiner put a roam signal in his suite.

:afro:

DouglasteR said:
A Level where gordon lost himself from the group of rebels and ends in a rusted, wasted, destroyed, pos-apocalipitc ( that´s a hard word :x ) city, infested whit zombies, and all xen and combine failed experiments, REAL time day / night on this map, so make sure to watch your step, ah, and absolutely no special guns, only, 357 and Submachinegun, no life packs.

At the end of the level, after "finish" the city, he still lost, but he see the edge of the citadel on the horizont, and start to move to that direction, on the road he find a damaged car, that he fix ( He´s a brain scientist ) and stat to move in, in his path, he finds various objects that you can adapt wherever you like, and build a tank :naughty:, when he finally comes closer to the city, he see a ship on the sea, for some reason his suite become to Beeps, even clooser at the ship, and then , he finds his friends again, when he arrives, Alyx explains that Dr Kleiner put a roam signal in his suite.

:afro:
Sounds like a bad mod.

A situation where you're forced to team up with some Combine Soldiers because of a larger threat about to crush you both (a swarm of Xenian Grunts, or a Gargantua) would be kinda cool.

-Angry Lawyer

Back