Look at me! I'm building a computer!

I went with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and so far it's been ice cold. Even with those temperatures I've not had any stability issues. I have emailed Intel support, so hopefully when they get back to me, I'll have an idea of what they normally use for system monitoring suites, as well as what they recommend to be the maximum operating temperature of the 2500K.

I wouldn't trust Speedfan's readings. My stuff was going as high as 70 max and I adjusted the BIOS to have it slow down once it hits 66. Heat is bad, even if the processor is built for higher temps.

Oh hey, just playing a little bit of Minecraft on my laptop:

100cy.jpg

Just got the email back from Intel.

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

I understand you are looking for thermal monitoring information on your Intel® Core™ i5 processor I5-

2500K.

The thermal specification (also known as TCase) for your Intel® Core™ i5 processor I5- 2500K is 72.6 °C

The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

We recommend the Intel® Desktop Utilities Software in order to monitor the processor temperatures; however, the support is limited to Intel® Desktop Boards only. Therefore, we recommend you contacting your motherboard manufacturer in order to consult if they have validated any monitoring software on their motherboards.

Since Intel® does not validate third party software information, we would only rely on the BIOS temperatures.

In regards to the cooling solution being used, we do not recommend using third party cooling solutions with our processors. All Intel(R) Processors have their specifically designed cooling systems, therefore the use of third party components instead of the Intel(R) fan, heat sink and thermal interface material would be considered as an attempt of running the processor outside its own specifications, resulting in the termination of the processor's limited warranty.

More warranty information can be found at: http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english_3yr_warranty.pdf

Important note: Should you need further assistance from us regarding your inquiry, we would highly appreciate if you could simply reply to this email of ours, instead of sending a brand new email, unless it is a different issue/inquiry. Thus, we will be avoiding duplicate incoming emails, and we will not lose track of the email thread.

And lol@ Intel's cooling systems.

Back