What CPU should I get?

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey, HL2net, I need some help deciding what CPU I should get for my new rig. I have it narrowed to these two: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz or Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz.

I will primarily be using it for gaming (getting ready for ArmA 3, want to play Witcher 2 maxed), and I'm heavily leaning toward the i5, due to the cheaper cost and an i7 will probably be overkill. Anyone have experience with either or both? Looking for any insight here.

The rig I'm planning on getting for those interested:
do53g.png

The i5 is going to be just fine for you. If you are questioning at all just get it because you're not going to need the extra features of the 2600k.

Get the i5, drop down to a flashed and overclocked 6950 and put the ~$200 toward a solid state drive.

Why on earth would you get something other than a Sandybridge CPU right now?

My friend has the i5 2500k. He has gone through 3 mobos and one processor trying to get his sandy bridge stuff to work. It's all kind of young so you might want to wait?

Sandy bridge stuff is definitely the best bang for your buck, but I still ended up going with AMD in my build early this year just cause I'm loyal to the brand and I've been happy with my decision (Phenom II X4 970 BE).

I like AMD. It's cheaper and more cost-efficient. Also, the mobos are cheaper (at least over here), meaning that I can save money on both the CPU and the motherboard.

Sure, Intel probably has better stuff, but I don't really care since my budget will always be limited, and won't be able to afford it anyway.

Mmmmm ever time I read or hear Sandy Bridge my trousers rise. can't wait for Intel to roll out those 1000 core processors they just recently made in the lab.

Seconded. With benchmarks coming in a no. of weeks it makes sense to wait. I'll either be getting a 2500k or a bulldozer.

Same thing here. Plus AMD's CPU's are usually cheaper so it's easier to explain all the needles upgrades to dem bitches!

Mmmmm ever time I read or hear Sandy Bridge my trousers rise. can't wait for Intel to roll out those 1000 core processors they just recently made in the lab.
They will not come till 2020 or later. First its APU's (like AMD is doing) [GCPU] then put more GPU's in a CPU then kill the cpu and work only with GPU's would be fun everything super fast.

Back