Mechanical locks are obsolete

Dan

Tank
Reaction score
Apparently this has been around for a while but it's the first I've heard of it. All you need is a key that fits the lock that has been cut down to the maximum depth. You put it in and then knock the key with a hammer and twist it at the same time. The force of the hammer will push the teeth into the pins and bump them up and allow the key to be turned. This defeats basically every lock on every door except for the new fangled RFID locks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ

You know what's not obsolete? Shotguns. Anyone tries that on my door and they'll have the honor to meet Dr. Remington.

Just put a toy at the top of your stairs, he'll fall down them and commit suicide for you!

Wow, this is ****ing stupid.

These guys just let EVERYBODY know that these locks exist.

Now EVERYBODY knows that there are internet resources, from which they can make a bump key.

Great, just great. Wouldn't we all have been safer, if lockpickers were the only people that knew about this?

http://www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf

:|

I'm going to see if I gen get/make one of these and test this out. It might be a interesting passtime opening locks for fun (not that I'd ever use it to commit any crime, such as stealing steam accounts).

This doesn't really matter. Most doors can be easily busted down anyways...

I'm not to worried. They'd have to get past my German Shephard first.... That and I always sleep with a friend nearby.

Although, if I'm not home, all mys stuff is f*cked D:

I'm not to worried. They'd have to get past my German Shephard first.... That and I always sleep with a friend nearby.

Although, if I'm not home, all mys stuff is f*cked D:

Your german sheperd follows you everwhere?

Well the fact of the matter is we're all f***ed. Oh well on to the next topic.

I've known this for a while; I can now even open 'safes'.

But blowing the lock open takes much less time.

Wow, this is ****ing stupid.

These guys just let EVERYBODY know that these locks exist.

Now EVERYBODY knows that there are internet resources, from which they can make a bump key.

Great, just great. Wouldn't we all have been safer, if lockpickers were the only people that knew about this?
No. Thats security through obscurity which doesnt work.
You now know about bump keys and have the opportunity to change your locks. Also when everyone knows it forces the lock makers to make locks that arent vulnerable to this.

No lock, whether a mechanical lock or a bio-metric lock is 100% secure.

The only way to be sure is guard the door yourself.

I'm going on operation revolution break into townhall and set bombs.

Cya :D

All UK insurance policies dictate that the household/property must have 5-lever mortice locks.

So they can bump my lock as much as they like, it ain't opening. Ever.

And I have hinge bolts, so they ain't kicking it down soon.

Cerberus guards my house.

Actually, its a Doberman, still it'll bite your balls off.

So, a set of 10 bump keys can open 90% of doors. OK, well for a long time, a good kick has opened about 99% of doors. What's the problem here? The only added issue is that if you get robbed, you can't prove that your door was locked.

No pikeys are going to rob my house anyway... i've got CCTV and a nice big alarm system. Not to mention a dog and a crowbar.

edit: I'm curious.... does this work on car locks too?

No duh. You just wait for the double-click and voila. You don't even need a high security skill.

No. Thats security through obscurity which doesnt work.
You now know about bump keys and have the opportunity to change your locks. Also when everyone knows it forces the lock makers to make locks that arent vulnerable to this.

I've just gotta say, this is one of the more intelligent things I've read on these forums. Nice.

You don't think you'll notice if soemone is banging on your door with a damn hammer?

Of course, yeah, if you're not home, you're ****ed.

Back