Memories

ScroogeMcDuck

Hunter
Reaction score
This is my first story so far, please give me advice if you feel there is something not right. :)
Since I was not sure of how much time has passed since Gordon vanished I decided to make it 12 years.
Those are just the first 3 pages, I'll be writing more later, bad or not.

There ya go...

Years pass by and memories fade. That is the way of time to turn everything into dust and things to become forgotten. Some things however, are not easily forgotten. They are little and big things that became very dear to us. Nothing escapes time forever, but as long as they are dear to us, they will not be forgotten.

?It?s abandoned for sure? ? Alyx said
Gordon didn?t look up from the map - ?Hhmmm..??
?I said, that it?s probably abandoned.?
?What gives??
?Well, for a starter. This town is deadly quiet and we haven?t seen so much as a headcrab, more less a resident.?
Gordon fixed his glasses and looked up.
?It would be logical for the residents to hide from us, they are a far from the combine grip and may believe we are spies searching for more people for the combine.? He said.
?Trust me, there will be no? one here.?
She picked up an old shovel half-buried in the earth. It was a little plastic one, one a child would play with.
?And there will be no? one here,? she whispered.

Gordon not hearing her continued to look at the map which he had studied at the Black Mesa East complex. There was no doubt about it that this was the town he had looked for. The mountains were all in place and the river they had crossed a little north from here was correctly positioned. Not that he was much of ranger but if he could read complicated analysis records in Black Mesa then he should be able to handle a simple map.
It was a basic journey, many freedom fighters had made similar trips to small residents in the country. Hoping to find people and protecting them from combine slavery. Letting them join the resistance. This town was a simple task. Safe route, far away from combine outposts and no danger whatsoever. Gordon had volunteered for this task. He looked at it as an opportunity to get out the blasted base and see the how the world had changed in his absence. He did not ask of Alyx to take the trip with him, thinking she was far more happy with patrolling City 17, giving occasionally a metropolice guard a punch or two.
Alyx, however, had instead insisted on going alone with Gordon, saying that she was an expert ranger and they would be a lot faster and safe if he went with her instead taking a whole squad of fighters. Sgt. Black had objected at first, never really believing that Alyx was anything more than a girl who could disable force fields and such. He was promptly silenced when Gordon agreed with Alyx.
He liked her company, she was optimistic and energetic. Nothing seem to hinder her when she was set on something.
So, here they were, far away from everything. Searching, possibly a ghost town, for residents.

Gordon rolled together the map and squinted at the sun, there was still plenty of time to search the town before it would become to dark
?Let?s search the town,? he said, ?we might find something useful after all.?
Alyx gave him one of her crooked smiles which always made him feel uncomfortable, yet, in a pleasant way.

?I really hope that there is someone or something here we could find useful, but I?m not going to expect a tank or anything in one of those garages.? She said and giggled at her own joke.
?Very funny Alyx, I?m talking about a toolkits, books and such.?
?I?ll keep my eyes peeled for anything, it?s sometimes fun to go through houses searching for something interesting.? She said, smiling, walking lightly towards one of the houses.
Gordon hoped that she was right.

The town looked pleasing to the eye. No graffiti decorated the walls, the roads were clean and the houses looked cozy. Most of the buildings were made out of wood or corrugated iron and had some sort of a home sweet home look to them.
This was?had been a farming community.

Gordon walked towards an old wooden building, looking like a salon from the wild west. Peering through a window he could see tables and chairs standing orderly around the main room. He opened the door and walked inside. Everything looked old and worn, yet it had to have been habited not to long ago. The floor was tidy and no cobwebs hung from the ceiling. Gordon found this fact slightly unnerving.
Walking towards the bar, he inspected it for anything useful. Luck would not have so, and was about to walk of when he stopped dead in his tracks. Turning slowly back towards the bar he stood before the huge mirror which was divited into seven frames. He walked towards the frame in the middle. There was a small handle on it where he had overlooked. Taking the handle in his hands, Gordon pulled. The mirror swung open.
Gordon stared.
?Oh my god,? he whispered.

Alyx had already gone through three houses finding nothing interesting, except for a first aid kit which would become useful back home at Black Mesa East, when she heard Gordon calling.
?Well something got him excited,? she muttered as the shouting continued.
Following his voice she ran towards the salon and through the front door, finding Gordon at the bar. She could hear him counting something that was stacked at the mirror.
?What got you all so puffed up,? she asked?
?JD,? he responded quickly, still counting. ?28?29?30.?
?Come again??
?I?ve found JD,? said Gordon, smiling to himself.
?I already got that, what or who the hell is JD??
?Jack Daniels,? Gordon said, turning around, still smiling. When he noticed Alyxs uncomprehending look he pulled forward a bottle with some strange liquor. ?I?ve found supplies of Jack Daniels finest whiskey.?
Alyx stared at the bottle, then burst out, howling with laughter.
?You?..you got this excited cause?.cause of a BOOZE!?? She said laughing through her hands that were folded under her head on the counter.
?Well, I guess I got a bit carried away. But this is after all the most popular Bourbon in history. Not something you would simply throw away,? he said defensively.?
Alyx could not look up, she was having trouble breathing.
?Look, Alyx,? there are thirty bottles here and we are going to have to come back later to get them. I?ll take one?no! Make it two bottles today and the rest will have to come later to Black Mesa East,? he said, rubbing his hands together, looking very pleased.
?I beg your pardon Gordon, but when you said we should look for something useful. I didn?t expect alcohol to be on the list,? she said, wiping tears from her eyes, still chuckling.
?Me neither,? he replied, ?but this is an exception. I have certain liking for bourbon and it has been quite a while since I got reassuringly whammed.?
?So?,? said Alyx, picking up two glasses from the counter. ?Cheers tonight??
?I wouldn?t have it any other way,? said Gordon and grinned.

Alyx had not intended for anything to happen in the trip with Gordon, but she knew she had a shot at him tonight if they would start drinking the bourbon. Gordon Freeman never talked about his past and seldom had any interest in relaxing and talking about life. He was a very closed and a mysterious man. As if the events that had befallen earth were his doing. And that it was his responsibility to fix it.
No one blamed him of course. He couldn?t have possibly foreseen what would happen when he rolled the sample into the analyzer back at Black Mesa, 12 years ago. He couldn?t do anything about the combine terror that was unleashed onto earth. Yet, he felt as if there was something he could have done.
What bothered Alyx most was that he should be 40 years old but he was certainly not 40 years old. When they had found him first on the streets of City 17, two months ago, he didn?t look a day older when the freak accident had happened back in Black Mesa. He never explained how he had disappeared for 12 years and then reappearing out of the blue. It was a matter best laid aside for the moment. What mattered was that he was here and now the resistance had a greater fighting chance than ever against the combine.
Alyx looked over the town. She liked it. The sun was setting over the hills in the distance and cast amber orange light over her. She definitely liked it.

lovely environmental descriptions, enjoyed reading it.

It's not bad, but for some reason there's lots of ?'s all over the place.

Are you using some sort of obscure font?

Quotation marks and apostrophes are the guilty ones. They're slightly different in some countries.
I'll google a solution, maybe a translator update would be in order.

Thanks for the reviews.

Fixed! If copied straight from a word document the text will go peanut butter. Word documents have to be saved as text documents first before copying.

Birds perched high on a roof looked curiously down at the two people walking out of the house, hoping that they would give away something eatable. They were quiet and moved quickly as if avoiding something. Interested in the two of them they took wing and followed them.

“So….what was it like working in Black Mesa,” Alyx asked?
Gordon took a bite from the bread they had brought with them and then sipped on the liqueur. He grimaced first, then his face relaxed as the warm burning drink settled in his stomach.
“It was alright,” he replied, “in-fact it was the dream of every scientist. Imagine a city made out of nothing but the highest quality equipment, gadgets and tech. The money they put in it was beyond our comprehension. Finally somebody was giving credit to science.”
He took another sip and checked if he had her attention. Alyx was all ears.
“What I’m saying is that Black Mesa made us all feel very professional, we all had a great deal of respect for each of our work. Of course, sometimes there was a disagreement between two departments over the silliest things.” Gordon smiled, “your dad was not always very mature in some of those quarrels.
“No shit, he’s still acts like a ten year old around some things.” Alyx said, “but what happened? Did he do something back in Black Mesa?”
“Oh, he did something alright. He had been complaining about leaks in our equipment and messing it all up. Eli went to search for the source and found out that the Agricultural and Biological Engineering department had made a huge aquarium to make their own ecosystem. When the manager of the research didn’t listen to him and told him to bugger of and waterproof their computers, Eli just smoothly snapped.”
“And,” asked Alyx excited?
“He took the managers fishbowl with his Asian dragon fish in it and threw it into the 9000 gallon aquarium, the manager was quite upset about it.”
Alyx laughed, choking on her bread. “He did not!”
“He did. Nearly got fired but his research was too valuable. I even suspect that ol’Breen got a laugh out of it.”
“So in between the research, you guys were just goofing around and causing havoc?”
“It was a good place,” Gordon sighed. “Even if it was far away from civilization and our families we liked it. We made it our home and we sort of became a family there.” Gordon paused to drink and eat. It really had been a good place. If nothing had happened in Black Mesa it would have changed the world to a better place. His smile faded, “so much for that know,” he thought.
Alyx poured some bourbon in her glass and looked mischievously at Gordon. Then suddenly drained her glass in one gulp.
“That’s going to hit you back in the face after few minutes you know,” said Gordon.
Alyx coughed slightly and replied, “I’ve drunk water that’s stronger than this from chemicals. Except this will just make you feel good, not sick, right Gordon?”
“I wouldn’t count on that. Keep on drinking like this and you’ll be sick quickly, and twice as worse in the morning. Savor the drink, let it burn you and then run down and warm you. It’s just a waste letting it run straight through.”
Alyx made a face but didn’t object. That would have been childish.
The salon was getting dark as the sun settled over the edge. Couple of bats came swooping down through the main room and flew into the dark night. The dark was starting to get on Alyxs nerves.
“Say…is there a light switch here? It’s getting kind of a dark,” she asked.
“I didn’t spot anyone when I was looking earlier, though I wouldn’t be surprised if this place didn’t have any electricity,” Gordon replied, still a bit lost in thought.
“There are light bulbs in this place so there has to be a light switch somewhere. I’m going to have a look.”
“Yeah no problem, I’ll be with you in a few moments. I’m going to finish off my meal.”
Alyx shrugged and walked towards the bar. Finding nothing she walked into the kitchen. Not a very fancy kitchen, the tools were old and the oven was a made out of bricks and heated with fire. Back next to the food shelves she found a power tablet.
“Let’s light this baby up,” she said and switched the power on.
Nothing happened.
“Hmmmm….that’s odd,” she said disappointed.
Gordon walked inside with his flashlight on.
“Found something,” he asked?
“Yeah, just this power tablet, but it wont work. Not even a spark anything. As if there was no power in the area.”
“I just remembered that there was a powershed here in town. We might be able to fix the power there or find something useful.”
“Lead the way then,” she said.
The powershed was not an impressive sight. Squire-ish, rusted and with the classic yellow warning sign showing a bolt of lighting.
Gordon smashed his crowbar into the doorframe and yanked the door open with ease.
“That crowbar is really handy, maybe there is some sense in why you carry it around all the time,” Alyx stated, going into the shed.
“ALYX WAIT!” Gordon yelled, but to late.
“Scrreeee,” echoed in the shed as two venomous headcrabs launched towards Alyx.
“****!” She yelled and ducked at the last moment sending the pair flying over her, both catching Gordon completely off.
Undaunted be the terrifying creatures, Gordon smashed his crowbar into the other one sending it flying through the air. The other one tried to make a run for it but Gordon caught it under his boot, pinning it down. Slowly, he crushed the creature into the soil. Its screeching echoed in his ears but he kept pressing the doomed critter. His face was like cold granite, firm and devote of feeling as the creature stopped moving.
He looked up and found Alyx watching him strangely.
“You really do hate them, don’t you,” Alyx asked?
Gordon didn’t answer.
The silence was deafening.

“Well, at least we got the lights on,” said Alyx trying to cheer Gordon up.
Gordon nodded and sat down. They were back again in the salon. He spotted the Jack Daniels bottle and quickly poured some in his glass and gulped it down.
“This looks familiar, but I seem to remember it was a bad thing for some reason,” Alyx said teasingly.
“Do you,” Gordon asked? “Cause right now I can’t think of any reason not to do this.” He took another drink and stared at the ceiling trying to forget about what had just happened.
Alyx knew that Gordon wasn’t in the mood for anymore xenos and kept her mouth shut about what had just happened.
“So was there anything more interesting my father did back in Black Mesa, like throwing Breens glasses in a coolant system or something?”
Gordon smiled slightly and shook his head.
“No nothing like that. Your father was a very good and a fair man in Black Mesa. He didn’t put any pressure on the workers. With the exception of sending me for help when the accident happened.” Gordon was struck by the strange fact that, for him, it had only been 63 days since that moment had passed. It felt like ages ago.
“Anyway, Barney and Dr. Kleiner have definitely told you most of Black Mesa,” Gordon said.
“They have. They told me how you had the office turned upside down once when your glasses went missing one day,” she said giggling. “Say that you even unscrewed some of the computers, hoping that your glasses were inside them.”
Gordon fixed his glasses as he remembered that day. What a horror. He had just taken a short nap and laid his glasses on his desk. Next thing he knew when he woke up, his glasses were gone. Now, if something went never missing, it was his glasses. They seemed to stick to him by some strange force, never leaving his side. Not that he was helpless without them, but without them he couldn’t read and a very important experiment was coming up that needed preparation.
“I do remember that day. I went absolutely wild there for a moment, I thought that I had lost them for good when you came around and found them for me,” Gordon said, smiling.
“Just ten years old and already saving your sorry ass,” Alyx laughed. “But you never found out what made them disappear?”
“Do you?”
“Of course I do,” Alyx said smiling. “I was the one that took them away.”
Gordon stared at her.
“WHAT!...Errr….why, in the name of Odins one eye, did you do that?”
“Because you were sooo cute back there,” she said, “but you were the only one that completely ignored me. I was so frustrated, that one day when dad needed to see Dr. Muffman about something, I sneaked in to your room and snatched your glasses.” Alyx made a triumphal gesture and nearly fell of her chair, still giggling like a fool. “Of course, I did feel sorry for you after an hour or so. So I gave you them back, but one thing is sure Gordon,” Alyx said grinning, “Torturing you is fun.”
“Great,” thought Gordon, “just great. The whiskey seems to be kicking in and I can’t imagine what torment this woman has in store for me later tonight.”
He took a sip from the bottle and felt fuzzynes in his face.
The Whiskey was definitely kicking in.

Back