Metro 2033 is out, and it has far exceeded my expectations.

Oh my god that bit you mentioned in the tags, sloth, was a BITCH. Especially..
at the end when you're running through the hall thingie and you die constantly because the platforming aspect in M2033 is not very good
Otherwise, I really liked it!

Tried it in DX11, got around 10-20FPS without AA on my i7-860 and Radeon HD5850. With AA on I got 1-3FPS(bug, obviously).
It's much more playable on DX10 though, it runs at a smooth 40+FPS.

Talking about games across 3 DX versions, reminds me of CSS.

Bought the CE.

Fun fact: Game's release date in Poland is March 19th, but the game unlocks on Steam on March 20th.

Worst. Release. Time. Ever.

Tried it in DX11, got around 10-20FPS without AA on my i7-860 and Radeon HD5850. With AA on I got 1-3FPS(bug, obviously).
It's much more playable on DX10 though, it runs at a smooth 40+FPS.

So this game is the new Crysis? Don't think my Dual Core E6600/Ati 4870 will be able to run it.

I just ordered a 5850 and expect it to struggle. The wonderful world of PC gaming - your hardware is dated on day 1!

So this game is the new Crysis? Don't think my Dual Core E6600/Ati 4870 will be able to run it.

Yeah, but whereas Crysis had an entire play area running on the engine, Metro has linear rooms and hallways for the most part that the game struggles to run at a decent frame rate. I could understand if the game looked Really good, but other than the textures the visuals don't really look as though they should be that demanding.

Runs fine on my E6600 (3.2GHz clock, most E6600s can do 3.4GHz to 3.6GHz mine can't unless it gets massive voltage. Dodgy chip) + 4890 50-60+ fps steady 1680x1050

High settings just make sure you disable AA. You don't have to worry about DX11 lag you can't use it.

I just ordered a 5850 and expect it to struggle. The wonderful world of PC gaming - your hardware is dated on day 1!

Your CPU is likely more of a bottleneck.

In the interview with the developers, they said that a mulit-core CPU should be fine. They said there were only a few instances during the game where the CPU would really come into play.

As for DX11, the only features they implemented were the improved character models and LOD. They didn't take advantage of all the benefits of DX11, so - for example - they wouldn't get improvements to multi-threaded processing, for faster rendering.

viewerl.png

In my opinion, as far as this game goes, texture resolution is more important than model complexity.

Yeah, but whereas Crysis had an entire play area running on the engine, Metro has linear rooms and hallways for the most part that the game struggles to run at a decent frame rate. I could understand if the game looked Really good, but other than the textures the visuals don't really look as though they should be that demanding.

It looks excellent, and is imo really worth the hardware you need to run it.
I've really never before seen such high-res textures(which look great on 1920*1080), with a lot of dynamic shadows and beautiful lighting.

Crysis runs slightly worse than this, but I have to turn off AA for it. Even on very high, it suffers from excessive LOD and everything looks very grainy(AA doesn't help, as the vegetation is made of transparent textures).

It looks excellent, and is imo really worth the hardware you need to run it.
I've really never before seen such high-res textures(which look great on 1920*1080), with a lot of dynamic shadows and beautiful lighting.

Crysis runs slightly worse than this, but I have to turn off AA for it. Even on very high, it suffers from excessive LOD and everything looks very grainy(AA doesn't help, as the vegetation is made of transparent textures).

Thing is, Crysis on Max settings has a whole lot more going on over a larger area, with a lot more lighting (day and night cycles) etc. For a game which amounts to nothing more than a corridor shooter it is extremely power hungry. Though I agree the textures are nice (except for a few of the faces, don't know what happened there) and makes me happy I can run it on high knowing the 360 version has worse textures than the PC's normal mode.

Can you lower the shadow resolution, and turn off soft shadows in the options (or a .cfg/.ini file)? You might see massive improvements to performance.

Can you lower the shadow resolution, and turn off soft shadows in the options (or a .cfg/.ini file)? You might see massive improvements to performance.

You can set it to Low/Normal/High/Very High. You cannot select incremental option changes from the menu's. Like I said, I run it okay on high, but sometimes you can tell there's a bit of strain.

In general, I find reading a game-book after playing is pretty much better. Since the story telling is usually better, you don't in any way ruin the way the game may tell it.

Only it's not a game-book, seeing as the book was written before the game was even being planned.:p

Geez and here I was hoping you could interpret it either way. And I know that the book came out first, suit yourself but given an option (assuming both were available right now (IN ENGLISH)) I would definitely play the game first. But the game is the only thing out right now so I'd get my way, assuming I had the dough to spend on it.

Sorry, my bad for misinterpreting!*Slaps self*

Anyway, I'm going the same way, playing the game first and then reading the novel, it's what I was recommended to do by a Russian friend, he said the game feels more rewarding if you haven't read the novel first and that the novel itself becomes rewarding after having played the game because everything becomes more detailed.

**** me, mission 4 is a complete piece of shit. Incredibly bad stealth mechanics (enemies don't see your flashlight in a pitch black environment, but can see you in a dark corner half the map away) and stupid checkpoint placement. Anyone got any tips for doing this mission as I'm tearing my hair out.

GET THIS GAME ITS AWESOME.

For the first time Krynn72, you & I seem to actually agree on a game. I just reached the part where
you get on the tram heading to Riga Station
& as such am only about 30 minutes into the game.

So far, the game boasts:
1) Great atmosphere.
2) Nice visuals & audio. ( Great looking mutants )
3) Nice weapons, barter system.
4) Great Cinematics.
5) Children. The fact that the game has children in it, makes the story much more believable.

I hope the game continues to impress.

-MRG

*sigh*
I am so conflicted about this game. I love the setting- cities in the subway? Hell yes, I am all over that shit! It's unbelievably atmospheric and so far it's been wonderfully written. But man, the gameplay is kicking my ass. Right now I'm at the bit where you have to find something someone else dropped, and there's monsters all over the place and I can't navigate for shit, and they jump at me and I panic and I backtrack to the start of the map, I go back and the game spawns more and I panic and I'm back at the start.

*sigh*

I wanna like this game, I really do but it's just so not my style.

*sigh*
I am so conflicted about this game. I love the setting- cities in the subway? Hell yes, I am all over that shit! It's unbelievably atmospheric and so far it's been wonderfully written. But man, the gameplay is kicking my ass. Right now I'm at the bit where you have to find something someone else dropped, and there's monsters all over the place and I can't navigate for shit, and they jump at me and I panic and I backtrack to the start of the map, I go back and the game spawns more and I panic and I'm back at the start.

*sigh*

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the atmosphere that the game oozes, but there are just so many broken aspects to the games mechanics and gameplay it's actually becoming a chore to play.

Edit #2: nope, still won't work. Physxloader.dll is missing from your computer.
I have an ATI card. Fixes?

You still have to install it. That confused me when installing the game this morning.

So far it's been very good. Surprisingly so.

Never mind, I DID fix it. I had to run it from the .exe in the folder, not from the steam browser.

I love it so far.

*sigh*

*sigh*

That was.. really easy. I'm playing on normal, and you just have to keep moving with that. Not to mention the auto shotgun is ridiculous against those monsters.

bought this yesterday, shame the higher widescreen resolutions dont seem to work properly.

But that aside, very fun game so far. The "chase" bit was omfg awesome!

*sigh*

*sigh*

respawning monsters......meh

I wish I had the ability the play a game, any game in DX10, but I"m still on WinXP & so it's DX9.0c for me. I was looking at prices for the different versions of Win7 & was thinking of getting Win7 Professional. Then I saw that MS was releasing Win8 in 2012. Shit!

Anyways,
Earlier last night, I was traveling down an abandoned sewer tunnel, when I heard some faint screaming in the distance behind me. As I turned around & zoomed in behind me, I saw a misshapen shadow cast by a flickering light at the far edge of my vision way back behind from where I had just come from. Then I heard the screaming again. This time closer. As I was backing up, I saw some type of creature jump up onto the top of a pile of rubble in the distance with another light flickering behind him, which cast conflicting shadows. Then it screamed again, as it appeared to have caught my scent. I turned back around & ran. Moments later, I heard screaming again, only this time in front of me.

Fantastic atmospheric chills. Playing at night with all lights off & headphones on.

-MRG

I wouldn't worry much about DX10 - at least for Metro. I can't see any difference between the two (maybe as the game is so dark) and only run dx10 becasue it doesn't seem to hit performance (unlike DX11 which rapes it). DX10 and normal quality settings seems to be the best performance/quality combo.

I'm still really liking the game btw. It would be better without the monsters - they're not trigen bad but seem somewhat out of place - and sometimes the ai is suspect, but otherwise the feel of the game is great. Anyone else think it's odd Stalker and Metro use supernatural elements to add to a setting that really doesn't need it? Nothing's more creepy humans that have been reduced to the state of animals. Anyways, good so far ..

I'm fine with the monsters. It adds in that sense of 'even with a common enemy, mankind still cannot work together', what with the Reds and Nazis warring it out while EVERYONE IS DYING. The monsters give you the survival aspect; you know how people think, but mutants are a whole different story. Gunfight after gunfight would be boring. I want something to claw at me every once in a while, so I can assert my superior gun skills. Or knife skills.

So today I killed a Librarian with just my knife.

Shiiit.

I want something to claw at me every once in a while, so I can assert my superior gun skills.

Wouldn't it be that much more creepy if it was some throwback clawing and biting at you? It isn't a huge issue for me, it's just we get this cool post apocalyptic setting - you just know cannibals and rapists would be everywhere when society crumbles (trying to escape from a gang of ****ing rapists would scare the shit out of me) - and, oh yeah, we stuck monsters in to! *makes wind whistling in the trees sound for effect*.

Does any one know how to replace your mask filter without having to hold G to take it off then G to put in back on? The IGN video review showed the player actually replacing the filter without taking the mask off but I can't figure out how.

He'll do it automatically when the filter runs out.

Back