Metro 2033 is out, and it has far exceeded my expectations.

Just started playing this game myself. Got as far as when you reach the next station together with that guy called "Bourbon".

My main complaints so far are, the FOV, and the gun play.

I really don't understand why almost all game developers lately insist on using a low FOV for their games and then not giving you the option to change it. As it is right now, it's way to low. It feels like you're walking around with binoculars on, and it honestly makes my eyes and head hurt.
it might look ok if you're sitting on a couch a few feet away, but I'm using a PC damn it! It should be for 4:3 screens 90 FOV, and for widescreen 16:9 like mine, 120 FOV.

Th gun play... So far all the weapons are horribly inaccurate and ammo is too sparse. There's a thin line between building tension, and plain old frustration. In one part while following Bourbon, I got lost in a series of tunnels, and had to fight (by myself) over a dozen of those four legged mutants. Used up all my ammo, and had to kill every last one of them with my knife...

On the bright side, I like this a lot more then Stalker, the graphics are quite good, and it does manage to create atmosphere. So overall this is the type of game I'll play once from start to finish for the story/atmosphere, and never touch it afterwards.

I just beat the game.

The core game was an easy 8/10 for me. Very enjoyable. That is, right up to the ending, which I found to be very disappointing. As I felt it left much to be desired. I feel that there should have been more winged demon & mutant attacks as I progressed up the tower to setup the beacon in a last ditch effort to stop me. While the tall nameless ones made an appearance a couple times through the game, their purpose still eludes me. The last section right after setting up the beacon when you have to run down the tunnels that have the moving floor felt out of place. The ending was a 3/10 for me.

-MRG

The Dark Ones(The tall nameless ones) are the entire game telepathically trying to communicate with humans, it is what drives some humans insane, they can't cope with it. In the end, the Dark Ones really are homo novus(new humans), the next step in the evolutionary chain. And for the entire game, they've been trying to establish proper contact the human race to find a way to co-exist.

If you make good choices throughout the game, you can get the good ending, which ends with you not killing the Dark Ones, and they successfully establishing contact with you, telepathically.

If you really like the story of the game and the concept, you should get the novel it's based on, also named Metro 2033, it's a cult-classic already in Russia.

It also has a sequel called Metro 2034 that was released last year.

By the way, I haven't read the Metro 2033 novel yet, and am not aware which of the two endings in the game is the canonical one(i.e. the one featured in the book it was based off)

Hope that helped you understand the ending a bit more.

Just started playing this game myself. Got as far as when you reach the next station together with that guy called "Bourbon".

My main complaints so far are, the FOV, and the gun play.

I really don't understand why almost all game developers lately insist on using a low FOV for their games and then not giving you the option to change it. As it is right now, it's way to low. It feels like you're walking around with binoculars on, and it honestly makes my eyes and head hurt.
it might look ok if you're sitting on a couch a few feet away, but I'm using a PC damn it! It should be for 4:3 screens 90 FOV, and for widescreen 16:9 like mine, 120 FOV.

1. Navigate to the user.cfg file – C:\Users\your account\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033 (you might have to write\appdata\ manually)
2. Edit with Notepad
3. Find the value: sick_fov 45.
4. Change the value to sick_fov 55. (with the period at the end)
5. Save and close the file. And start the game!

You can change the fov to whatever you like, but it seems like this game is very sensitive when changing the fov. I have a 4:3 LCD and i tried putting 70 which i use in Bad Company 2, and the entire game stretched out and looked horrible. 55 was the only good and realistic value i tested.

Thanks, I set it to 60 FOV and it's much better.

I just beat the game.

The core game was an easy 8/10 for me. Very enjoyable. That is, right up to the ending, which I found to be very disappointing. As I felt it left much to be desired. I feel that there should have been more winged demon & mutant attacks as I progressed up the tower to setup the beacon in a last ditch effort to stop me. While the tall nameless ones made an appearance a couple times through the game, their purpose still eludes me. The last section right after setting up the beacon when you have to run down the tunnels that have the moving floor felt out of place. The ending was a 3/10 for me.

-MRG

Go read the book. Seriously.

I ordered the book.

I pretty much knew the moral of the story right after the part with the anomaly and the awesome guy with the dartgun.

They're no more evil than fire, really.

It's all perspective and understanding.

Speaking of the book, I want to read it but I'm still working my way through the Dune books(the good ones, as in those written by Frank Herbert himself.)

Also, there's two editions released over here, a hardbound one in Swedish and a paperback in English.

I generally prefer to buy the hardbound versions, but I have absolutely no idea if any of the translation is worse or better than the other.

And this is a bit unfamiliar ground since pretty much all my books(I don't own many) are by authors who natively write in Swedish or English, and I always get the books in the native language, but that's impossible for Metro 2033 since I don't understand Russian.

The Dark Ones(The tall nameless ones) are the entire game telepathically trying to communicate with humans, it is what drives some humans insane, they can't cope with it. In the end, the Dark Ones really are homo novus(new humans), the next step in the evolutionary chain. And for the entire game, they've been trying to establish proper contact the human race to find a way to co-exist.

If you make good choices throughout the game, you can get the good ending, which ends with you not killing the Dark Ones, and they successfully establishing contact with you, telepathically.

If you really like the story of the game and the concept, you should get the novel it's based on, also named Metro 2033, it's a cult-classic already in Russia.

It also has a sequel called Metro 2034 that was released last year.

By the way, I haven't read the Metro 2033 novel yet, and am not aware which of the two endings in the game is the canonical one(i.e. the one featured in the book it was based off)

Hope that helped you understand the ending a bit more.

Wait a sec..

Are you being serious? About the Dark Ones I mean. Because I was not aware of any Good or Bad choices I had to make as I played through. Crap! If what you say is accurate, then I really missed out on a key part of the game somewhere along the line. I got the beacon & set it up on top of the tower & a short time later, the nukes came in & destroyed the "hive" type building off in the distance. Can you remember where in the game I got to make the choice to either agree to make contact or not to? All I can recall is that they were always hostile towards me.

I'm an avid reader. I think I just might get the book if I can get an english version.

-MRG

MRG,

There is a part right near the end that decides the ending you get. I'm not sure exactly, but it may have been the part where you come to the crossroads and have to choose between going to the Ranger guy and the other way.. probably not, I'm not sure myself.

Wait a sec..

Are you being serious? About the Dark Ones I mean. Because I was not aware of any Good or Bad choices I had to make as I played through. Crap! If what you say is accurate, then I really missed out on a key part of the game somewhere along the line. I got the beacon & set it up on top of the tower & a short time later, the nukes came in & destroyed the "hive" type building off in the distance. Can you remember where in the game I got to make the choice to either agree to make contact or not to? All I can recall is that they were always hostile towards me.

I'm an avid reader. I think I just might get the book if I can get an english version.

-MRG

MRG,

There is a part right near the end that decides the ending you get. I'm not sure exactly, but it may have been the part where you come to the crossroads and have to choose between going to the Ranger guy and the other way.. probably not, I'm not sure myself.

As far as I am aware, you have to give the child that leads you to Bourbon one bullet. Give medicine to the ill (dunno what station) and help the really poor (I believe in Exhibition). The end part at the crossroads, you have to go to the Ranger. The thing on the ground is a Dark One trying to fool you, going towards him results in insta-death.

Quote;
Metro 2033 - the alternative good ending.

Here's a list of things you need to do to get this ending:
1. Chapter 1 Exhibition Station. A man will ask for a couple of bullets to buy some medicine for his son, give him the money.
2. Chapter 2 Riga Station. There are beggars on the platform and near the prostitute. Give a bullet to at least one of them.
3. Chapter 2 Market Station. Between the ammo exchange and the bar where Burbon is there will be a poor guy telling a story to a child, give him a bullet.
4. Chapter 2 Dead City 1. Turn right at the end of the level. You'll find a hideout with a cassette recorder. Listen to the message.
5. Chapter 4 Front Lines. Listen to the three soldiers at the red army command post. You must also save three red soldiers from fascist captivity or finish the level without killing anyone (it's impossible to do both).
6. Chapter 4 Depot. After Pavel dies, explore the train and its inhabitans.
7. Chapter 4 Defense. Take the tape from the dying captain.
8. Chapter 4 Child. After saving Sasha, refuse to take the ammo as a reward.
9. Chapter 4 Outpost. Send the S.O.S. signal using the transmitter on the roof of the Nazi outpost.
10. Chapter 4 Black Station. Listen to the first two nazi guards. Finish the level without killing anyone.

You don't need to do every single "good deed", I think 6 or 7 will be enough.

MRG,

OMG.. I didn't even think of that. I remember that part & I went toward the Ranger guy after going half-way toward the Dark One, but then thought that he would have killed me, so I turned around. If that is it, then that was a very clever part of the game that I totally missed.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I havent finished the game, but i wanted to post with spoiler tag so i can feel somewhat cool like you guys

I havent finished the game, but i wanted to post with spoiler tag so i can feel somewhat cool like you guys

Aww Ravioli, you know you'll always be cool in my eyes no matter what!

Anyway, VirusType2, yes, I'm aware of the untranslatability issues, but I don't really have a choice sadly, the only problem is I don't know which one is the best. Swedish is a germanic language just like English so I guess it's safe to assume that sentences that are untranslatable to English are so to Swedish too.

Stupid language and cultural differences.

As overrated as STALKER and just as badly optimized as it.

As overrated as STALKER and just as badly optimized as it.

Hey now!

Them be fighting words! Metro 2033 was very fun & the Stalker series is great.

At least in my opinion. :p

Sorry you didn't care for it.

-MRG

Hey now!

Them be fighting words! Metro 2033 was very fun & the Stalker series is great.

At least in my opinion. :p

Sorry you didn't care for it.

-MRG

I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think Twwix actually likes many games. :)

I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think Twwix actually likes many games. :)

Some of us have higher expectations in life. Unlike you.
Hey, that's ok. Medicority exists for a reason. ;)

'Higher expectations' is just a nicer way to say elitism.

Then what were your expectations? I went in expecting an honest adaptation of the book and it didn't fail me, since I expected an atmospheric, but linear shooter.

Nah, I just have realistic expectations, which suits me in life (and gaming) just fine. I do think I have yet to see you say you actually enjoyed a game though, so I'm interested to see what your supposed "higher expectations" consist of.

No game is perfect. Not one. It's about looking past the things that are not as good as they could be and enjoying the things that show the game has had thought and hard work put into it. Moreso it's about soaking in the atmosphere with Metro 2033.

1/4 through the book, thought I'd mention that the story is significantly different so far. The game basically took some parts and twisted them into a more befitting way for the game for dramatic effect. But it's quite a good read.

Finished the book and started re-reading it like the next day. Book is infinitely better then the game. I'd still give the game a 9 outta 10 though.

If your expectations are too high for Stalker than you're truly missing out.

A demo for the game was recently released. I'm gonna download it tomorrow and give it a try. I have seen some gameplay footages of it, and it's theme and atmosphere looks very bleak and grim. Not a future I'd want to be in.

Which would have been fine if that was what I was talking about.
the section with the floor that is created under your feet and the four doors. You go through the wrong door and suddenly the floor stops getting created. That's bad level design.
There is no red/blue warnings at that point.
You're seriously an idiot. You expected the game to have to teach you to be cautious when you're in an area that is
blatantly an altered state of reality/consciousness brought on by mutants who want you dead. I remember those doors. I went through each one slowly to make sure there was nothing deadly behind them because scary doors in an otherworldly vision shouldn't be taken lightly. Don't blame the game for your lack of self preservation instinct.

As for the game I thought it was excellent fun and a great challenge (played it on Hardcore) but has some flaws. For one it's too short! I know they were restricted by the book but damn it some more length would have been nice. One more fight with
humans before the last level would have been nice too. Say between the missile base and returning to the prologue section. The final level was fun and a great climax but after that awful section with the amoebas (definitely the worst part of the game) I wanted one more firefight before the end. I got the bad ending by the way. I didn't even give the kid at the start a bullet).

One thing I regret is I never used the air guns or the arrow guns. Are they any good? It never seemed worth it seeing as I had long well covered by my AK and revolver and close combat with my shotgun. I just sold all that ammo for clean rounds.

Stealth in this game is actually fun but the fact that stealth is optional is really nice too. Has some great set pieces too, like
the fight with the things that hate bright lights or librarians (didn't kill a single one of them) but all in all it seems like it could have been explored much more. Only one section with ghosts, one with the bright-light creatures, one with the amoebas (thank god for that though) and one section with two sides fighting each other. Something say with both ghosts and humans at the one time might have been interesting. Or being able to use anomalies in non-scripted ways.
I was just left wanting more.

Of note is the atmosphere. Very good and very engaging. Some people said they preferred it in Russian with English subs but Russian-accented English is fine with me and the voice acting didn't seem too bad to me at all. It feels very much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., down to the clothing everyone is wearing and the terminology and even the effects used for anomalies. When the guy in the library said "...Roadside Picnic, something familar!" I actually laughed a little (Roadside Picnic is the book S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is loosely based on).

I'm interested in trying Ranger mode. How do I get the DLC? It doesn't seem to be on Steam.

You're seriously an idiot. You expected the game to have to teach you to be cautious when you're in an area that is
blatantly an altered state of reality/consciousness brought on by mutants who want you dead. I remember those doors. I went through each one slowly to make sure there was nothing deadly behind them because scary doors in an otherworldly vision shouldn't be taken lightly. Don't blame the game for your lack of self preservation instinct.

I'm an idiot for dying when the developers put insta-death drops hidden behind doors into their game? In any other genre this would be bad level design. It was when Max Payne did it in it's rather bad blood maze dream sequence and it still is in this dream sequence.

One thing I regret is I never used the air guns or the arrow guns. Are they any good? It never seemed worth it seeing as I had long well covered by my AK and revolver and close combat with my shotgun. I just sold all that ammo for clean rounds.

Surprisingly powerful if you remember to keep pumping them up. However, their ammo is rare and they take the place your shotgun which I always thought was more useful.

Ranger DLC is still bugged. Executable stops working when you start it up. Rage.

Back