More SteamOS References Found in Steam Beta Update

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
A new "System" menu has been added in the current Steam beta update. The menu, pictured below, is only available in Big Picture Mode and features information on the user's hardware as well as the version of the Steam client installed.

system-png.24529

Also shown is a listing for SteamOS version and a button to check for SteamOS updates. This is normally hidden from users but has been uncovered by Facepunch user DevinWatson. Integration of features in preparation for SteamOS might mean that we can look forward to public release of the operating systemin the near future.​

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 17,982
Exciting! I'm extremely curious to see what Valve has in store for SteamOS in terms of its functionality and design. I'll definitely have to make preparations for a new partition before this becomes available.

Good to see progress being made. The obvious starting point with SteamOS is to look EXACTLY like Steam(Big Picture) on Linux and, I guess, why should Valve start off with anything else? Still hoping for a SteamOS Beta release in the next few weeks. As Valve said "SteamOS will be available soon as a free download"

Main tech issue to get fixed before we'll see the Beta (what's the point in being EXACTLY the same as existing Steam(Big Picture)+Linux) is In-Home Streaming. Based on nVidia's already proven and released Gamestream tech this should be close. And an In-streaming pic to close.

2013-10-14_22-53-01_2247622959.png

Good to see progress being made. The obvious starting point with SteamOS is to look EXACTLY like Steam(Big Picture) on Linux and, I guess, why should Valve start off with anything else? Still hoping for a SteamOS Beta release in the next few weeks. As Valve said "SteamOS will be available soon as a free download"

Main tech issue to get fixed before we'll see the Beta (what's the point in being EXACTLY the same as existing Steam(Big Picture)+Linux) is In-Home Streaming. Based on nVidia's already proven and released Gamestream tech this should be close. And an In-streaming pic to close.

Streaming is mostly implemented in the current Steam beta build (and working if it wasn't for Valve not shipping the application that does the actual streaming/encoding).

ValveTime already featured that old screenshot of mine in an article last month, here's a screenshot from the latest beta build (yesterday) with filled non broken dropdowns.

2013-11-06_00-14-12_5104151166.png

Streaming is mostly implemented in the current Steam beta build (and working if it wasn't for Valve not shipping the application that does the actual streaming/encoding).
Excellent stuff Marlamin (sorry for pinching an old photo). But its a rather important app (the streaming/encoding one). Do you know anything about it? Its not from nVidia is it?

Excellent stuff Marlamin (sorry for pinching an old photo). But its a rather important app (the streaming/encoding one). Do you know anything about it? Its not from nVidia is it?

All we know is that it's a separate executable (at the moment) that can be given an AppID as parameter. We'll have to wait until Valve releases it to know more.

Alram why don't you know more? Why don't you work for Valve? Wtf Alram.

Back