Most worthless key on the keyboard?

No, the key is "effin'". Used to bypass language blocks on some games, and certain forums :D

Skaadi said:
I'm going to have to say the second enter button on the right of the keyboard, we've already got one. And that button above the inset button, whatver the hell that does.

That enter key is a must have for data entry though. It lets you type in a huge collumn of numbers into a database with only one hand.

I'd have to say that the windows key is the most annoying, because when you're going for ctrl or alt in a game and miss it pulls you out and you die.

tripleplay369 said:
Most people don't use the windows key because they don't know what it does..

Windows + M minimizes all windows, i use this all the time
Windows + L switches users
Windows + E opens explorer
Windows + R opens the "run" box

I'm sure there are plenty more shortcuts, but those are the only ones I know/use

edit: Full List

e2: You know what, there are a lot of interesting shortcuts that I didn't know about..

Hold SHIFT while inserting a CD - Prevents the CD from "autorunning"

If an item is selected:

CTRL while dragging a file - Copies the file

CTRL - SHIFT while dragging a file - Creates a shortcut to the file

SHIFT - DELETE - Deletes an item without sending it to the recycle bin.

ALT-ENTER - Display a file's properties.

damn, I just hit windows - L to test it out and it locked my computer. Said that only the admin could change the user and I needed a password. I spent about 10 minutes typing in all my passwords to no avail. Eventually I remembered that I have never put a password on my comp and just put in a blank password and got back in.

Scroll lock most definitely.
the three buttons on they very top of the arrow keys (Power, Sleep, and Wake Up)
Those aren't on every keyboard. We are referring to the standard 102 key keyboard.
Pause/Break, Insert, Home, End.
I rarely use Pause/Break except in games, Insert I almost never touch but I can see its use.

But I use Home and End constantly. How could you say those two are useless? o.0

The Pause/Break key, Scroll Lock, and "application menu" key (the mouse and drop down menu icon).

But esp the Pause/Break key. I never fricking use it. I have no idea what it's for.

And the windows key is my favorite, I'm sorry. I always use it to lock my computer, or minimize a game, I love the damn thing.

MiccyNarc said:
But I use Home and End constantly. How could you say those two are useless? o.0
i use these keys to get around the internets, all the time too :dozey:

holy shit, i made the thread, went out to dinnner, and come back with about 50 replies. i figured it'd be one of those 4 reply threads of people saying wtf useless thread.

btw scroll lock + x is xfire shortcut in games so i don't consider it useless

@The Brick: That is so the F1-F12 keys work normally, or do what they are preset to do.
Most useless key is the Caps-Lock

I'd have to say Insert. I just hate it. Nobody uses Insert.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Insert is nothing but a royal pain in the arse.

Ennui said:
holy shit, i made the thread, went out to dinnner, and come back with about 50 replies. i figured it'd be one of those 4 reply threads of people saying wtf useless thread.

haha, thought the same thing :p

the alt key on the right hand side of the keyboard... and the ibm support keys.

CAPS LOCK.
For supporting annoying posters and people in chat rooms.

The "Kick Shamrock in the bits key", i thought it would come in handly but he amuses me.

Ennui said:

btw scroll lock + x is xfire shortcut in games so i don't consider it useless
Xfire used scroll lock because it was useless so they took it over. LOL

I'm backing up my previous response.

No keys are useless really, not even that set of "useless" keys above the arrow keys.

Little bases of keys like this are perfect for assigning random ingame actions to, or weapon selections. In FEAR, I just realised how much easier it is to just scroll between all my grenades with Insert Home and Page Up, than 4 5 and 6.

Just think of action sets that normaly stretch your fingers (like selecting weapons 6 7 and 8 in a game) and assign them to a "useless" base of keys. They come in real handy :)

I think the most usless key is the far left hand key on the number row the one with three symbols on it - What the hell does it do anyway?

N.P.C. said:
I think the most usless key is the far left hand key on the number row the one with three symbols on it - What the hell does it do anyway?

Wow.

You are, by no means, a gamer.

But really, this thread has devolved into.

"Lol like I think FUBAR key is the most useless, because I don't know what it does. Like, what the **** does it do anyway? Am I right guys? Am I right?"

At least post a REASON why you think it's useless :p

The goddamned windows key because all I ever do with them is cut them out with a drimmel tool.

Actually you do have a point I remember now it brings up the console in HL2 I'm too used to UT2004 where Tab does that.

N.P.C. said:
Actually you do have a point I remember now it brings up the console in HL2 I'm too used to UT2004 where Tab does that.

THERE WE GO!

Good man :)

EDIT: And if i'm not mistaken, that's also an okina.

Ta - I guess on reflection all the buttons have a use its just a case of whether is more quick and easy to use point of click to do it.

JellyWorld said:
I think Pause/Break is pretty useless.

Pause/Break is used to pause some games. The ones with the Windows Symbol suck big time. I have never used them in my life.

i think it is quite clearly the shift key but closely followed by the comma i mean who needs that?

Windows key is garbage.
And Insert because if I accidentally press it when hitting backspace while typing something on Word it makes me really mad.

And I also don't think I've pressed scroll lock ever.

The windows key is useful when your mouse doesn't work.

^tru dat

A tie between Scrlock/pause/break (all 3 are the same key on my board) and "\"

I vote scrlock/pause/break. I've never touched that key in my life.

The windows key, and the print key.

scroll lock, i could swere i've never pressed that button in my life.
i don't use insert, and num. lock neither...

Back