Music: Rate and Discuss

A Capela metal cover of Iron Maiden's Fear of the dark
I actually prefer this version to the original

Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats

Was maybe attending an El Ten Eleven show in July. These guys are co-billing so I gave them a listen. They are arguably more awesome than El Ten Eleven. Really good math rock stuff. Now actually pretty excited for this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbHeKnfNGzQ

[edit] The beginning of Ambassadors... sounds like someone messing around playing the game Braid. Seriously. wtf.
http://teramelos.bandcamp.com/album/drugs-complex

<snip>
Apparently this is some kind of low-brow genre, but I'll be damned if I care. To my ears it sounds just like some guy having a blast making backwards-glancing electro. Ironic or not, it's fun. This guy does a good job conveying an aesthetic of 80s-polysynths-running on-c64s. If that makes sense.
This is awesome, screw genre. I'm sure there's some good polka somewhere out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofA8N3xSUQ

Um............................ I like this song a lot, and this band recently got back together, so I guess a new album is coming.

Just got the latest album from Death Cab for Cutie, they seemed to have traded in a guitar for a keyboard.

Also the album Joy by Phish is pretty damn pleasant

overall I like my two purchases. both were just $5 a piece and its good summertime music

Could not be more stoked about Bad Meets Evil getting back together. Em and Royce haven't worked together since The Slim Shady LP back in 1999. Think these guys are getting back on top of their game.

Just had some tracks leaked on the internet and they're insane, especially this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOsjP33nF4&feature=player_embedded

Can't wait to see what else they come out with.

Disperse - Journey Through the Hidden Gardens

More european prog metal, hooray! Hearing a pretty wide range of influences on this one. Really love their tasteful approach to technicality, never feels too overbearing. Just the right amount of wankery, in other words.~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvdgj7Q_BU

The latest Death Cab for Cutie - Codes and Keys - is really, really good. I haven't been this hooked to anything since In Rainbows. It's not too similar to their previous work, which IMO is fine. I was miffed that Explosions in the Sky didn't shake up their sound although I do love the tracks on Take Care, Take Care, Take Care. Also, Eddie Vedder's Ukelele Songs is beautiful.

Ratings: 8/10 for all.

First Dream Theater track since they replaced Mike Portnoy with Mike Mangini. It sounds like a Dream Theater song done to formula and nothing more. Drums don't stand out at all, it's pretty obvious they just wanted him to play like old Mike. Christ they're bland now, Portnoy was right to want a hiatus from this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

First Dream Theater track since they replaced Mike Portnoy with Mike Mangini. It sounds like a Dream Theater song done to formula and nothing more. Drums don't stand out at all, it's pretty obvious they just wanted him to play like old Mike. Christ they're bland now, Portnoy was right to want a hiatus from this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

I literally can't tell the difference between Dream Theater songs. No, that's not me misusing the word "literally", I really can't.

The other day a coworker was playing some music, I asked him if that was Dream Theater. No, it was not. It was Liquid Tension Experiment. Which is basically composed of Dream Theater. Jesus Christ, even as another fucking band they sound exactly the same. A prog version of Nickelback?

Do you know Pineapple Thief Bad^Hat? I've now heard everything they've released and I think it's nearly all great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0j2X6mAOXo

I still stand by my "a bit like Dream Theater but not shit".

Here's the keyboard player of DT doing Lazarus with Steven Wilson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGk5aUDntwY

He rapes the song. It's technically excellent, as far as I know, but it doesn't fit the song at all. Stop showing off, this is not a piano recital. Christ. Sounds like mall music.

I literally can't tell the difference between Dream Theater songs. No, that's not me misusing the word "literally", I really can't.

The other day a coworker was playing some music, I asked him if that was Dream Theater. No, it was not. It was Liquid Tension Experiment. Which is basically composed of Dream Theater. Jesus Christ, even as another fucking band they sound exactly the same. A prog version of Nickelback?

Haha, I won't argue with that comparison. I still love some of their older stuff, but they got way too comfortable with their own style and fell right into a creative rut. I can still enjoy some of their more recent albums on a technical level, but they're pretty bland and uniform otherwise. LTE, on the other hand, is so shit that not even having Tony God-damned Levin on bass helped them any. Can't stand them for some reason.

Do you know Pineapple Thief Bad^Hat? I've now heard everything they've released and I think it's nearly all great.

Listened to a bit after you posted that last track. A little vanilla, but then I thought that of Porc Tree and Anathema at first as well, so I'll be sure to check them out.

Here's the keyboard player of DT doing Lazarus with Steven Wilson

Haha, Rudess is such an ill fit for that song. Richard Barbieri's parts are always incredibly subdued, to the point of fading right into the background most of the time. By contrast, I don't think I've heard a single DT track from the past 5 years that didn't contain a solo from both Rudess and Petrucci.

I know what you mean. Barbieri's contribution to PT songs is very subtle, but very fundamental.

I sorta like Octavarium by Dream Theater, but that's basically it from what I've heard.

Pineapple Thief sounds like a mix of Dream Theater, Radiohead and Porcupine Tree to me.

And I should listen to Anathema. I saw them live as the supporting act for PT, but haven't given them any attention since. Probably because they didn't really capture me when I heard them. But should give them a chance.

This song is great, pretty sure it was the one that got me into them. Still haven't gone very deep in their back catalog, but they're meant to be less atmospheric prog rock and more doom metal the further back you go. >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-VabI6O68

Despite being a huge DT fan, I have to agree that its a little too similar to what they have made recently (was digging the intro up until 1:30 though). After first getting into Octavarium and Black Clouds, I went back to Images and Words, Awake, and Scenes From a Memory (favourite album) and enjoyed them much more.

I'm hoping that they did actually deviate from their comfort zone in the rest of the upcoming album (some lighter stuff would be nice), but time will tell.

EDIT: On the topic of subtlety, I think that is the reason why I prefer Gavin Harrison to Mike Portonoy. From what I've heard of PT, Gavin's parts are never intended to be the focal point of the song. Instead of performing the most technical drum beats, he tends to go for simpler rhythms that complement the rest of the song. Much more pleasing to listen to IMO.

Images and Words is and will remain my favourite, such a christing good album. Of the newer ones, I'm really fond of Six Degrees' first disc, Scenes not so much. Train of Thought/Octavarium/Systematic Chaos are more guilty pleasures for me than anything, and Black Clouds can get ****ed.

Lighter stuff? As long as it isn't like the inoffensive radio rock crap on Octavarium. :p

Gavin's good at writing beats that are technically interesting while fitting well with the song. He does take some liberties with them live though, which I'm all for.~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxqWiRCg4mM

Lighter stuff? As long as it isn't like the inoffensive radio rock crap on Octavarium. :p

I should elaborate, I meant the songs they used to have that aren't full of crunchy riffs. Heck, Another Day is one of my favourite songs and that was a rather tame song.

4J1P4.jpg
Nyt4h.jpg
NY9kD.png
Ni8km.jpg
l5xKb.jpg

Wagon Christ
Throbbing Pouch (1995)
Tally Ho! (1998)
Musipal (2001)
Sorry I Make You Lush (2004)
Toomorrow (2011)

How to begin describing Wagon Christ... Well, hip hop inspired beats on top of all variety of musical elements, usually a nice bassline and some synths, as well as random samples from other music. Packed with tons of vocal samples (not so much in the earlier albums) that are entertaining and add real funk feel and attitude to the tracks.

A few favorites from these albums:

Underground Level
Fly Swat
Crazy Disco Party
Almost all of the tracks from Tally Ho!, Musipal, and Sorry I Make You Lush
The first two tracks and the last track from Toomoorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA6jZcdYeK0

Have you ever thought to yourself, 'hrmm, I would give black metal a chance if only it had some more trombones, Parisian accordion interludes, ska-punk influences, belching and chicken noises!'? If so, Peste Noire's latest album could be for you, as they have attempted to redress the widespread perception of BM as a cockerel-free zone.

VictimOfScience here turned me on to Peste's previous album, which was already pushing the envelope in terms of its obnoxious choice of sonics and low metal content. For background, the primary member of PN is a weird French nationalist whose lyrics (lately) consist of over-the-top bemoaning of the state of society, steeped in heavy mockery and irony. I can't tell if this new album is trying to alienate genre purists or expose latecomer poseurs in their bandwagon-jumping, but it's as if the mockery has become so intense that the music is now a kind of meta-music which mocks itself and its listeners. Some of it is just pure shit, and I have no doubt it was intended to be so, since the album title translates to something not a million miles from 'pure shit'.

Nevertheless, it's also inspired. I don't know whether to love it or hate it for diluting its genius by being so farcical. This 20 minute long track, 'I Dreamt of the North', starts with a droll industrial-ish passage of chugging geetaws and guns being cocked, evokes some feelings of the dysfunctionality of modern living with its samples of sirens and violent crime reports, descends into a kind of folky medieval reverie, accelerates back up to recognisable black metal in the vein of old PN (replete with genius riffs), and after jamming there for a while it closes on an incongruous, raucous singalong. The motif that appears for the first time on a dulcimer or something at 5:30 and then at later points on electric guitar is superb, can't get it out of my head.

Underground band from within the circle of musicians I have the honour and pleasure of playing alongside and knowing as friends, GO!

Bluesy-influenced Folk-Rock, often with a trippy edge if not a damn catchy underlying riff. One of the 2 frontmen of this band is responsible for discovering the band I'm currently in and getting us to where we are now (not famous but playing to a lot of people and fricking pleased about it!) and I can honestly say, these guys are some of the most talented and pure musicians I have heard.

I love music and this stuff is it's essence, a bunch of working class guys (and girl) who play for the love of it and make music because they're inspired to do so.

They've been a huge inspiration to me and I have no idea why they haven't reached greater heights of fame yet. Oh wait... Actually I do, the music industry in the U.K. is too busy pushing a tide of fake, plastic, bland, poppy, shart into the faces of the public who willingly lap it up because Radio 1 tells them to. We'll all just enjoy the sound of the underlying kerchings in the background of Jessie J's latest auto-tuned piece of polished turd as it spews money into the pockets of record label executives like some sort of camel that eats attention and regurgitates it in the form of cash. Hell no!

This is some real music from the hearts of real musicians. Ladies and Germs, I give you Tastebuds:

^ That's my personal fave of theirs and this is one of their music videos:

They are also all genuinely beautiful people in real life, too.

Mouse on the Keys

Like, ****in... jazzy, funky, math-ish, sort-of-rock type guys, using keys and drums. Not sure what else to say about them. They play real good and it done make my ears happy. Hope that cuts it for a review. :>

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

Today is an absolutely beautiful day, and I don't usually enjoy sunny weather, but god damn. Today is a Sufjan Stevens kind of day. I've been singing along to this in the car for two weeks now trying to get it out of my head. It shows no signs of leaving. Love his voice so much. Really soft and welcoming. Zen Vision M is loaded with music. The sound of cicadas droning filling the air today, the sun is shining, few clouds in sight. I've got my old notepad I used to draw on. Something about a nice sunny day like this and Sufjan's soft and innocent sounding voice reminds me of being a kid. I think I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

I hope someone enjoys this song as much as I do.

Never thought I'd come to say I would be a Lights fan, but this album is growing on me. Spacey indie electro-pop alt-rock on top of such a soft and soothing voice. It's infectious, minimalistic, and very well-crafted. A quality listen any fan of synth pop and pop(not the bubblegum variety) should surely check out. For all else, she might even become your new guilty pleasure.

I'm with you Joule. I was recently introduced to Lights and her music is surprisingly good and quite addicting.

I've also fallen in love with the band Ivy. Great relaxing alternative music with a bit of an electronic feel and beautiful female vocals. Here's a few to check out:

Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving

Only twigged onto these guys very recently, but they're already impressing the shit out of me. Some of the best experimental/ambient rock I've heard in ages.

Can't stop listening to this first track because it's just so pretty. Second one's a bit more frenetic.

Edit: ****in' video taaaaaaaaags.

Also edit: Had the wrong tracks heeeeh. I'm good at this.

Alternate version of the best chill-out track ever made. Air is amazing.

Back