NASA licenses Unreal 3 engine

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
The general idea is that NASA's Learning Technologies Office got a small amount of funding to start a prototype NASA-based game. They are now working with the America's Army development team and the Federation of American Scientists to make a short(10 to 20 minutes) prototype. They are using the Unreal 3 engine from Epic, so they're hoping for commercial quality results.

The prototype is expected to be an introduction to NASA's Vision for Space Exploration - apparently, NASA is planning to head back to the moon by 2020, and by 2035, a human on Mars is planned. The prototype is expected to introduce the vision and give people a chance to appreciate the experience of being on the International Space Station and on the moon - separately, of course.

unless it has laser weapons or a BFG or two, I'm not all that interested

http://www.knowprose.com/node/16725

pui pui!!! take that russian cosmonaut!!! oh oh he's gonna go perestroika on my ass with his BFG!!! <speaker crackle> huston we have a problem<crackle>

It would be sort of cool to try that out though.

Not every game has to be a violent one to be enjoyable (though the best ones are! ;) )

I'll definetely give it a try when/if it comes out.

ya so will I ...still ..hitting a chinese astronaut over the head with a $4589 nasa shovel sounds like fun too

So now they're wasting money on sending Gamers to the Moon?
PR is all well and good but shouldn't more money be going into the Project itself.

That said - it would be pretty cool

It's taking them over 30 years to plan another man on the moon? WTF. I'll be retired by then.

I wonder if Jack Thompson has anything to say against NASA?

Not surprising. Half of my contracts in the last two years have been simulation or research work using the Unreal Engine 2 Runtime, including my current job working for Columbia College.

Sounds even worse than a flight simulator. What do you do? Sit pilot a 3 week flight to the moon?

imaginate a gear of wars in the space figthing against russian and chinese astronauts

Interesting, but wouldnt it be mind numbingly complex to play?

And anyway, its just training the next generation of space terrorists! :p

Interesting, but wouldnt it be mind numbingly complex to play?

And anyway, its just training the next generation of space terrorists! :p

ya they'll suicide bomb the Saturn observatory only it'll take weeks to get there; thereby ruining their element of surprise :E

Whoa, I'm suddenly having memories of Microsoft Space Simulator.

Which was awesome.

Indeed it was.. Shame I can't seem to get it to run on WinXP even with DOSBox these days.:\

Back