New C&C Game: Red Alert 3

Hyperjag3

Reaction score
I just noticed this on www.planetcnc.com and I also got the email they have there from EA about RA3. I'm disappointed that they aren't doing the 3rd Tiberian story game, and this RA3 better not be part of the RA2 story. If it's continuing the RA1 story though, I think it could be pretty good. I'm still mad at EA for dissolving Westwood, they made such good games.

Yeah, got that e-mail this morning. Can't wait. Hope the kirov makes a return. Oh and I wonder if Yuri is back? I think he is in pyschic isolation. RA2 was great. I hope they have RA or RA2 style cutscenes. :D

We are very proud to announce that the team that brought you Command & Conquer™ Red Alert 2™, Command & Conquer™ Yuri's Revenge™, and Command & Conquer™ Generals has officially started work on our next project set in the Red Alert universe!

So looks like the tiberian team, whereever they are, maybe working on CnC 3 still.

The email implied that it was continuing on from where Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge left off... (same team) ...So I wouldn't bet on EA being faithful to the original Red Alert storyline. :|

For those of you who are reading this and don't understand why some C&C fans are not jumping for joy at this news...well....

Imagine Vivendi completely took over Valve tommorow... or imagine they win this upcoming lawsuit, for the intellectual property to the Half-Life universe right? - Then Vivendi go and release Half-Life 3... and it is all cartoony and Gordon talks, and they get rid of all that "boring" puzzle gameplay. They decide a good plot twist would be for Gordon to be the Gman, they change the history of the original games and then continue to make lame expansion packs and further sequels, whoring out the Half-Life name for all it is worth in $. Half-Life becomes a parody of itself.

Well that is basically what has happened to Command and Conquer.

Yeah, that's why we're not too excited... or at least we are feeling the growing ambivalence. I'm sure most of you don't care as long as it is called "Red Alert 3". I mean it *might* for all I know be a good game, there is no media yet obviously - nothing to go on but EAs track record.... oh wait, that's why im skeptical in the first place ;)

I wouldn't count on it bringing salvation to the C&C franchise, whether it is a good game in its own right remains to be seen.

It will most likely suck like RA2 and generals and zero hour did...

I hate the sage engine, and the new RA games are NOTHING like the original RA series. :(

I heard something about alot of the original Westwood members forming another company, and that they are now designing a new RTS.

That is CORRECT MaxiKana :) Westwood still lives... just without any of their former Intellectual Property etc :/

They are now called Petroglyph.

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/ (Westwood studios reborn)

They even have the guy who did all the music for the original C&C games ... right up until renegade (EA didn't rehire him for Generals... wtf? o_O)

http://www.frankklepacki.com/ (C&C music guy)

This is what you should be interested about, this new project "Petroglyph" (ie: Westwood) are working on - not Red Alert 3... it isn't Red Alert 3 anymore than Goldeneye:Rouge Agent is a sequel to Goldeneye on the N64 imo. ;)

i agree wit dem0negg, i prefer only westwood. i miss my command conquer with it's dinosaurs, and red alert with it's ants.

Dem0nEgg said:
The email implied that it was continuing on from where Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge left off... (same team) ...So I wouldn't bet on EA being faithful to the original Red Alert storyline. :|

For those of you who are reading this and don't understand why some C&C fans are not jumping for joy at this news...well....

Imagine Vivendi completely took over Valve tommorow... or imagine they win this upcoming lawsuit, for the intellectual property to the Half-Life universe right? - Then Vivendi go and release Half-Life 3... and it is all cartoony and Gordon talks, and they get rid of all that "boring" puzzle gameplay. They decide a good plot twist would be for Gordon to be the Gman, they change the history of the original games and then continue to make lame expansion packs and further sequels, whoring out the Half-Life name for all it is worth in $. Half-Life becomes a parody of itself.

Well that is basically what has happened to Command and Conquer.

Yeah, that's why we're not too excited... or at least we are feeling the growing ambivalence. I'm sure most of you don't care as long as it is called "Red Alert 3". I mean it *might* for all I know be a good game, there is no media yet obviously - nothing to go on but EAs track record.... oh wait, that's why im skeptical in the first place ;)

I wouldn't count on it bringing salvation to the C&C franchise, whether it is a good game in its own right remains to be seen.

I agree but i didnt mind C&C generals. Didnt like the expansion pack tho :/

Red Alert 2 was the best C&C game in my opinion. I hope they make it more like RA2 than Generals. Generals is a good game but I prefer RA2. :p

I heard something about alot of the original Westwood members forming another company, and that they are now designing a new RTS.

Yeah, Petroglyph, and they're working on a new Starwars game...

Raziel-Jcd said:
I agree but i didnt mind C&C generals. Didnt like the expansion pack tho :/

Yeah, Generals was half made by Westwood though ;)
The expansion pack was fully made by EA.

Zero Hour is a perfect example of how to ruin the balance of an RTS in an expansion pack.

Alpha Aurora.... lmao.

Level 5 generals ability as a weapon on a plane that cannot be shot down on the way to its target, for $2000. Pure genius that was. o_O

Basically they took all the stuff Westwood has scrapped (and for good reason) and stuck it all together in an expansion pack.
The only things I liked in the pack that I remember was the ECM tanks and microwave tanks..... me and my friends still played Vanilla Generals though.

Dem0nEgg said:
Yeah, Generals was half made by Westwood though ;)
The expansion pack was fully made by EA.

Zero Hour is a perfect example of how to ruin the balance of an RTS in an expansion pack.

Alpha Aurora.... lmao.

Level 5 generals ability as a weapon on a plane that cannot be shot down on the way to its target, for $2000. Pure genius that was. o_O

Basically they took all the stuff Westwood has scrapped (and for good reason) and stuck it all together in an expansion pack.
The only things I liked in the pack that I remember was the ECM tanks and microwave tanks..... me and my friends still played Vanilla Generals though.

Meh, Westwood (at least the Vegas outfit) didn't work on Generals. Westwood wanted nothing to do with Generals. They were busy prototyping Tiberian Twilight.

Generals is all down to EA.

I was so dissapointedin the singleplayer campaign of c&c generals, it is IMO the worst sp ever and way to short, I mean they could have made it with a good and epic story like Westwood would have done, but the mp was one of the best ever, it rivals sc.

the only C+C game i have played is generals, which i loved for multiplayer, but lacked in singleplayer. from what i grasp from other people, the C+C games before had great stories and such. im definately interested... there are too few RTSs these days...

Dem0nEgg said:
They even have the guy who did all the music for the original C&C games ... right up until renegade (EA didn't rehire him for Generals... wtf? o_O)
http://www.frankklepacki.com/ (C&C music guy)

Bill Brown, Composer of Generals Music is still really good. He did Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and lots of games before.

I think his versions of the team themed music, particularly the chinese music are spot on.

Suicide42 said:
the only C+C game i have played is generals, which i loved for multiplayer, but lacked in singleplayer. from what i grasp from other people, the C+C games before had great stories and such. im definately interested... there are too few RTSs these days...

I really enjoyed the RA2 game and story despite what everyone says. Yeah it was silly and crazy, but that's part of the fun IMHO.
I really liked RA and RA2, and I still enjoyed the Tiberian series games. Looking back now, I prefer RA games though, Tiberian storyline feels a bit too Starcrafty style with aliens and stuff.
Renegade was supposed to be the next Tiberian game I suppose.

Maybe the old Westwood crew are still making a Tiberian game in secret, with that winning formula though!
Maybe they'll even get Kane and Frank Klepaki back.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Meh, Westwood (at least the Vegas outfit) didn't work on Generals. Westwood wanted nothing to do with Generals. They were busy prototyping Tiberian Twilight.

Yeah. I could be wrong, but I don't recall the westwood logo even being in Generals. Or any mention of them for that matter.

They just played off the C&C name.

I'd love for the Command and Conquer games to have been carried on by the original Westwood. They would have been so much better. I still have the older Red Alert, but its not the same knowing that the story can never really be carried on. Sure the ones who left can make their own cool game...but it won't be command and conquer :(

Still I did enjoy the EA published games, but they didn't have the same feeling really. You could tell with Tiberian sun that something was different.

Speaking of Music, Emperor: Balttel for Dune HAD AWESOME Harkonnen music.

And yes, there will be Red Alert 3. Here's translation from Russian Gaming Website

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...&trurl=http://www.ag***/news/07-12-2004#14375

anybody thought it may be a sequal to Renegade ?
I really hope its Red Alert 3, but i dont think it will be as good as the old C&C ( Westwood ).

There won't be a sequel to Renegade. One was in the early prototype stages and EA canned it. Renegade just didn't sell well enough to justify a sequel.

kirovman said:
Yeah, got that e-mail this morning. Can't wait. Hope the kirov makes a return. Oh and I wonder if Yuri is back? I think he is in pyschic isolation. RA2 was great. I hope they have RA or RA2 style cutscenes. :D

So looks like the tiberian team, whereever they are, maybe working on CnC 3 still.

the Kirov was my favourtie unit too...

Renegade is my favorite game in the C&C series. The single player wasn't too great but the multiplayer was the best ever in my opinion. It was just done so well, I played it more than I will any multiplayer game in the future. The reason it sold badly was because the netcode was barely working in the initial release and the single player couldn't hold it up on its own, but after patches it plays great.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Man Tiberian Twilight...im still waiting for that game :/

smwScott said:
Renegade is my favorite game in the C&C series. The single player wasn't too great but the multiplayer was the best ever in my opinion. It was just done so well, I played it more than I will any multiplayer game in the future. The reason it sold badly was because the netcode was barely working in the initial release and the single player couldn't hold it up on its own, but after patches it plays great.

The game over all was good but the mp could have been a lot better. Maybe something like Natural Selection?

smwScott said:

Horrible game imho... :p

h00dlum said:
Horrible game imho... :p

Yeah, disappointing for me. Was expecting a lot more.

Do you find all games developers lie about the AI?
I remember reading renegade's ai had the intelligence to use a soda machine to climb through an elevated window and suprise the player.
I love all the RTS command and conquer though, whether they were Westwood or EA.

All C&C games up to Red Alert aka the ones made by Westwood (RIP) were good. After EA started sucking the life out of that company you could tell it was all going to hell...

yep!

dude, frank klepacki is the man

smwScott said:
yes i agree the Multiplayer was awesome.

Red Alert 2 was a beauty! I love the cheesy acting in all the cutscenes and stuff - it's awesome! Like B-movies.

That's another point - if EA make RA3, they'll be making it without Joe Kucan, the man responsible for directing all the C&C/RA cutscenes (and the man who played Kane)

I didn't despise Generals like a lot of hardcore C&C fans... presumably because I treated it like an RTS rather than an actual successor to the brilliance that was the first C&C. It wasn't bad, and it looked pretty neat too.

RA2 played fine for me, but I grew to dislike the camp cartoon cheese that made up its foundations. The first was tongue-in-cheek but far darker... I'm not going to declare RA3 an instant failure or anything, I just don't know if a sequel to RA2 would maintain my interest.

the red alert series is incredible
#1 is what got me into pc gaming actually

Pi Mu Rho said:
That's another point - if EA make RA3, they'll be making it without Joe Kucan, the man responsible for directing all the C&C/RA cutscenes (and the man who played Kane)

i miss those bad, i can still remember tanya and others.

This thread makes me cry and fuels an a huge hatred for EA.

RA2 is a joke. (It was a comedy)
RA1 was serious buisness.(It was badass)

RA1 was the prequel to CnC: Tiberian Dawn. Which was an alternate reality where Einstein uses a time machine to kill hitler.

Whats RA2 then?
A sequal to a prequel that already has a sequal? and then whats RA3 about?

They have ruined CnC.

what you talkin' about? RA2 was awesome! so fun.. :D

Generals was good. too short. i never played mplayer very much unfortunately.

although... the cutscenes in the original were deff. the best. bad accents to a minimum at least. kinda funny, mostly annoying...

ahhh -- having flashbacks to 8 hour matches in the middle of the night over 56k w/ C&C original. :E :E

I'm not syaing RA2 was bad. But it is straying from the original concept and i rather see the original.

ah yes, i remember the iron curtain now : )

i've just installed command and conquer, covert operations and red alert again to finish them all, all over again.

anyone remember the sandbag bug in command and conquer ;)

Back