New Computer Set Up - My Questions Thread

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
I decided to make a new thread instead of use the old one I had.

I have the computer set up, I have Windows 7 64 bit installed.

Things appear to be working fine for now, we'll see how they go.

I need some tips and reminders on things to check to make sure everything is working in tip top shape.

My Sapphire HD 4890 1GB is idling at about 59-61 degrees celsius. Is this normal? A bad thing?

My Sapphire HD 4890 1GB is idling at about 59-61 degrees celsius. Is this normal? A bad thing?

Idle of a 4890:
radeon_4890oc_gpuz2.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/944/13/

This is mine.

Looks to be okay.

4890tempsraziaar.png

Not to hijack a thread, but is controllable fan speed determined by the type of wires? My cpu has 3 and it's controllable but I have another in the back I put in myself but it only has 2 (and is not controllable)

Yes, controllable fans have 3 or 4 pins. It also depends on the capabilities of the fan and motherboard.

This computer is ****ing amazing, I tell you.

Never experienced anything this AWESOME before.

This computer is ****ing amazing, I tell you.

Never experienced anything this AWESOME before.

OK, I'll need to be coming by to check on it when you are away, so, give me your details.

I haven't really spent a whole lot of time using it yet. I have merely been installing games and programs and stuff... filling up my hard drive for a change without having to uninstall shit.

Tomorrow I should be entering some games and playing for more lengthy periods of time.

The computer thus far just seems to blow away any game I throw at it on highest settings. Granted, I only play in 1280x960

But honestly, compared to anything I've ever experienced before, this thing is just phenomenal.

I need to give the computer more time though... as I don't want things to crap out on me. I'm especially worried about the video card crapping out on me. All my ATI cards have crapped on me. I hope this one doesn't follow suit.

I really want to try GTA IV on it.

As from the other thread, this is my set up.

I have a DVD drive that is from my other computer... it's an LG. Can't remember what model.

I got my 4890 for the price of your 4870 there. :eek:

Granted, it was on a bit of a sale.

tmp2ftmp.jpg

I just want to know about the processor. I wasn't paying that much attention to it because I know so little about them.

What one did you get and how many things can you do at once etc.

If your computer is really that good I may just copy you because it's a PITA to match parts.

Anyway, I need to upgrade so bad, I've got an old Celeron and it IS ****ING SLOW.

I'll have to find a way to test how good the processor is.

I don't currently have any scenes on my computer that I can use to render in maya right now.

Haven't finished installing all my programming and development applications yet.

I have been told and I have read that the AMD Phenom II X4 955 is not as powerful as even the weakest Intel i7 processor, but that when it comes to games they are pretty much the same. The difference being with programs and video rendering and stuff.

The reason I chose the Phenom II 955 is that the price was right. The boards and processor itself for the i7 were considerably more expensive.

I'll have to find a way to test how good the processor is.
Try using 3DMark06 or 3DMark Vantage. Both are widely used to benchmark CPUs and GPUs. You can get either here.http://www.futuremark.com/. They're not free, but they have trial versions so you can atleast see how high you score and compare it to other systems like yours.

I recently upgraded my computer and my parts are similar to yours. I purchased a 4890 as well(HIS, not Saphire) and mine idles at around 63 degrees celcius. I've overclocked mine though, so it's a few degrees hotter then it should be. I was reluctant to get the 4890 instead of the 4870 mostly due to the fact that it's not that much better. I bought it because most of the reviews said that it was easy as hell to overclock, and getting a 950-1000mhz core clock speed was the norm. This wasn't the case for mine, but it might just be a brand issue considering I've seen Saphires selling with 1Ghz core clock speeds.

As far as the CPU goes.. I went the i7 920 route, which I don't regret, but I could have probaly saved quite a bit of money getting something else or waiting a year. I'm curious how high your CPU would score with 3DMark, so if you get it working, post that score :D.

My video card actually game with 3DMark Vantage.

These were my scores...

CPU Score

Graphics Score

Not sure what settings I had it on. It was just default and I clicked to run them.

EDIT: Turns out it was performance settings.

Anyway, I don't really care about 3Dmark Vantage. And when I ran it, I had all sorts of other processes open. instant messengers, chrome windows, antivirus... everything I normally have up.

Apparently the i7's beat the phenom II by a huge amount in anything but games. But I couldn't justify the price.

This computer will satisfy me just fine, and in the future I'll get something better probably.

Just ran my system through Vantage as well and came out with a 20146 CPU score and a 10725 GPU score. I don't think the settings really matter, they should scale as far as scoring goes, but I had mine on the performance preset as well(I think that's the default).
The CPU and motherboard were probaly 150 dollars more then your set up though, and the CPU is overclocked quite a bit.

Overall I'm very impressed with the i7. It's probaly the best processor I've ever had, and it's probaly been 7 years since I upgraded my computer so having something this fast is a little strange. It was just really easy to install, and it overclocked to 3.3ghz with the stock cooler and it still doesn't go over 50 degrees celcius. From what I've read though, it's all overkill, and from experience I would have to agree. I've just been overclocking out of curiosity, not neccessity. No game I own has been able to get all 4 cores to 100%(hell most games I own can only use 2 cores), so going the route you've taken is a good one to take. It's about present needs vs future needs and budget.

Also, a small little comment about the video card temperature. If you're using the Catalyst Control Center, you can manually turn the fan speed up on the card. The card turns up the fan speed automatically as it gets hotter, but it's not responsive enough to keep the card from overheating if that situation arises. The temperature will drop a considerable amount if you turn it up, but the damn fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner. As far as my knowledge goes, as long as it doesn't frequently go over 80 degrees celcius under load it should be ok.

You shouldn't have bought a sapphire card, I know their prices are good but they make bad cards which tend to die really fast and their customer service is horrendous. Let's hope you got a good one.

Just ran my system through Vantage as well and came out with a 20146 CPU score and a 10725 GPU score. I don't think the settings really matter, they should scale as far as scoring goes, but I had mine on the performance preset as well(I think that's the default).
The CPU and motherboard were probaly 150 dollars more then your set up though, and the CPU is overclocked quite a bit.

Overall I'm very impressed with the i7. It's probaly the best processor I've ever had, and it's probaly been 7 years since I upgraded my computer so having something this fast is a little strange. It was just really easy to install, and it overclocked to 3.3ghz with the stock cooler and it still doesn't go over 50 degrees celcius. From what I've read though, it's all overkill, and from experience I would have to agree. I've just been overclocking out of curiosity, not neccessity. No game I own has been able to get all 4 cores to 100%(hell most games I own can only use 2 cores), so going the route you've taken is a good one to take. It's about present needs vs future needs and budget.

Also, a small little comment about the video card temperature. If you're using the Catalyst Control Center, you can manually turn the fan speed up on the card. The card turns up the fan speed automatically as it gets hotter, but it's not responsive enough to keep the card from overheating if that situation arises. The temperature will drop a considerable amount if you turn it up, but the damn fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner. As far as my knowledge goes, as long as it doesn't frequently go over 80 degrees celcius under load it should be ok.

Awesome dude. :)

Yeah the i7 CPU scores are like... twice the Phenom II X4's... which is okay, from everything I read, it's not like the Phenom II X4's are bad at all... and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

You shouldn't have bought a sapphire card, I know their prices are good but they make bad cards which tend to die really fast and their customer service is horrendous. Let's hope you got a good one.

****... I always thought Sapphire was a good ATI brand. Never had a sapphire card before.

If this card fails on me I am going to go ballistic. ****ing apeshit man. Every single ATI card I've ever owned has failed on me. This one better not!

Sapphire and Asus video cards are made in the same factory. They only differ on support and warranty. Asus has a 3-year opposed to Sapphire's 2-year.

Sapphire and Asus video cards are made in the same factory. They only differ on support and warranty. Asus has a 3-year opposed to Sapphire's 2-year.

I'm just saying, from personal experience, I had two sapphire cards and one produced artifacts out of the box, the other died after a week. Sapphire support blamed my OC'ed CPU and my PSU which are still working today in another PC with a 8800GT. If you've ever spent any time on their forums, you'll see just how unpleasant their support staff is, they'll call you names, tell you to **** off politely or to stop trolling when you present them your issue.

Sapphire cards may be made in the same factory as Asus but they don't have the same rep.

Ugh... I don't know any other thread to put this in... but god damn, my room is always so warm now. I mean, it used to be before, but now it is even moreso.

I suppose it doesn't help that I keep my door closed all the time, but damn. I put a thermometer in my room and it's always at like 85-90 degrees. lol

The house temperature elsewhere is 78-80

I'm just saying, from personal experience, I had two sapphire cards and one produced artifacts out of the box, the other died after a week. Sapphire support blamed my OC'ed CPU and my PSU which are still working today in another PC with a 8800GT. If you've ever spent any time on their forums, you'll see just how unpleasant their support staff is, they'll call you names, tell you to **** off politely or to stop trolling when you present them your issue.

Sapphire cards may be made in the same factory as Asus but they don't have the same rep.

So you didn't get your money back for the one that died after a week? How did they know your CPU was OCed?

Ugh... I don't know any other thread to put this in... but god damn, my room is always so warm now. I mean, it used to be before, but now it is even moreso.

I suppose it doesn't help that I keep my door closed all the time, but damn. I put a thermometer in my room and it's always at like 85-90 degrees. lol

The house temperature elsewhere is 78-80
Got a window? Upstairs or downstairs? Any kind of ventilation?

If all else fails just get a fan to at least keep the air moving.

Got a window? Upstairs or downstairs? Any kind of ventilation?

If all else fails just get a fan to at least keep the air moving.

Single story house. I have a window, but no point in opening it most days.

Ever since we got ceiling fans installed for these two rooms, things have been MUCH better.

I also have a very nice regular fan I plug in and use. Keeps the circulation well enough that things are bearable.

If it's too hot for you then there is a point.

It increases the mugginess in my room usually, and it often seems to make things worse, or no change, even if it's cooler outside than it is in my room.

Obviously your computer is generating a lot of heat. You need to get that heat out of the house, or fight it with cooler air. Using a fan won't cool the air, it will just move it. It only cools you because it evaporates your sweat.

A fan in your room won't cool the air unless it brings cooler air into the room - from under the crack in your door or from a window.

so here are some ways to greatly cool the room:

-Air conditioner
-put a box fan in the window. (this only works if the outside air is cooler than in your room)
It might be better to get a dual window fan that they sell now. set one fan on intake and one fan on exhaust to circulate the air with outside air.

Obviously your computer is generating a lot of heat. You need to get that heat out of the house, or fight it with cooler air. Using a fan won't cool the air, it will just move it. It only cools you because it evaporates your sweat.

A fan in your room won't cool the air unless it brings cooler air into the room - from under the crack in your door or from a window.

so here are some ways to greatly cool the room:

-Air conditioner
-put a box fan in the window. (this only works if the outside air is cooler than in your room)
It might be better to get a dual window fan that they sell now. set one fan on intake and one fan on exhaust to circulate the air with outside air.

Yeah... I can't afford that extra power consumption of an air conditioner, and I won't really.

It's an issue for me, not so much my computer.

Yes, warmth is an issue for the PC, but the temperatures are operating just fine.

I know keeping my room cooler will help the house temperature more, but I don't really have an appropriate fan to move the air out of my room. When I step out of my room and close the door, where I stand is actually quite cool in comparison.

Two of my bedroom walls are outside walls. It doesn't appear that too much of the heat in my room escapes to the rest of the house, except what bit trickles through the door cracks and seeps through the walls. I always keep my door closed due to sound issues.

I guess you will have to use a window if you want to be cooler. Only other thing i can think of - besides ice - would be to use cool damp rags for your face and neck and a personal fan. That would work surprisingly well. So it's not such a pain, you could put a bucket in your room.

Actually I cope with the heat caused by my computer far better than I do during anything else heat related.

I guess it's kind of like that whole, "It doesn't annoy me as much because I'm the one doing it" sort of thing. lol

One of the biggest heat generators is the video card. I know that my 4850 wreaked havoc on my room temp, but getting a better cooler for it help tremendously. You should see if you can get better coolers for some of the bigger culprits.

I heard AMD chips ran hot these days.

One thing I do in my room, I don't use any incandescent lightbulbs. I just have a very low watt flourescent strip light behind my monitor. So my room is pretty dark, but the contrast of the monitor in the dark doesn't hurt my eyes - and it stays cooler in here.

One of the biggest heat generators is the video card. I know that my 4850 wreaked havoc on my room temp, but getting a better cooler for it help tremendously. You should see if you can get better coolers for some of the bigger culprits.

Speaking of which, how do you like your 4850?

Back