New Far Cry 2 Jackal Trailer

I'm getting tired of STALKAN and OBLIVIONAN crap, which is what this game looks like.

That's exactly what I'm afraid off. I'm one of the few people that hated Stalker. Far Cry isn't meant to be a damn First Person RPG, god damn it!
But, I'll reserve judgment after I've actually played it.

non-linear is not the be all and end all Ubi Soft, you mob of morons.

That's exactly what I'm afraid off. I'm one of the few people that hated Stalker. Far Cry isn't meant to be a damn First Person RPG, god damn it!
But, I'll reserve judgment after I've actually played it.

Who says? You or the people who own the franchise? I care nothing about the fact that this is called "Far Cry". They're just using it as a marketing ploy. There's nothing Far Cry about it, from the weapons to to the setting.

non-linear is not the be all and end all Ubi Soft, you mob of morons.

I know. I'm getting tired of this trend. Non-linear games almost always lack in plot, pacing and overall cohesion.

I know. I'm getting tired of this trend. Non-linear games almost always lack in plot, pacing and overall cohesion.

This is kind of like complaining that linear games are too manipulative. :p I'm personally looking forward to sneaking around the African wilderness at midnight, sniping people from a nearby tree, and then jumping to a nearby jeep and hightailing it out of there; all of my own volition.

Oct 23 release. Oct-December will kill my bank balance :(

Anyway, I'm interested in the A.I in the game, will it be similar to Stalker f.e.

Say you take out the enemy in one area will they eventually respawn there over time? Does the day/night cycle affect their routines or will they just patrol endlessy.

What are the chances for random encounters in the gameworld or are the A.I just preset in their locations. If you flee from a fight will they hunt you over miles(can you 'lose' them?) or just go back to their area etc

Oct 23 release. Oct-December will kill my bank balance :(

Anyway, I'm interested in the A.I in the game, will it be similar to Stalker f.e.

Say you take out the enemy in one area will they eventually respawn there over time? Does the day/night cycle affect their routines or will they just patrol endlessy.

What are the chances for random encounters in the gameworld or are the A.I just preset in their locations. If you flee from a fight will they hunt you over miles(can you 'lose' them?) or just go back to their area etc

lol this is a game not real life haha J/K

I love how they have all the animations implamented in the game, Like when entering or exiting a car or turret.

Game is looking really good. I'll get for PS3 then when i get a better pc i'll try it out on pc.

This is kind of like complaining that linear games are too manipulative. :p

I'd just like to see less games going the, "You can do any of our generic missions/quests when you want where you want in our open world!" route.

Where are the good plots and fantastic scripted events that wow me dammit?

I'm still looking forward to Far Cry 2 because, among other things, at least it's getting us out of the redundant pacific/tropical setting that is pissing me off. I've seen enough f*cking palm trees and sandy beaches in games for christ's sake.

Surely the complaint is againt nonlinear done poorly. Done well it offers an immense amount of replayability, exploration, and some of this emergent gameplay developers have been going on about, which is great. I've yet to see nonlinear done well consitently, though. Done bad it feels a bit vague and directionless.

I often find linear games become way too dull too quickly - like riding a bike with training wheels down a straight road with nothing in it. Same thing every time. It's even worse when it's the same, easy, simple thing every time.

Non-linear is the future guys - City 17 will really feel like a city when it's the size of one.

Who says? You or the people who own the franchise? I care nothing about the fact that this is called "Far Cry". They're just using it as a marketing ploy. There's nothing Far Cry about it, from the weapons to to the setting.

Well excuse me for expecting the sequel to one of my favorite games to be at least somewhat similar to it's predecessor (and nope, I don't mean trigens...). You might not care, but I do.

Non-linear is the future guys.

Actually it's more like, nonlinear has a future. It won't replace the linear games as long as there are people who prefer them.

Sure. I still feel that, especially in fps, linear will take a back seat to nonlinear as technology and ai improves. If the path you choose to take through a city could be as tightly balanced and directed as in something like HL2, regardless of where you go and what you do, the experience will be all the more real.

Actually it's more like, nonlinear has a future. It won't replace the linear games as long as there are people who prefer them.

Thank you for this piece of wisdom.

People aren't realizing that the stories in linear games are much stronger than any stories found in non-linear games. Sure, one could say "Oh, we just aren't there yet with the technology" or "Developers aren't working hard enough", but I wonder when we will see a good, strong and continuing story in a non-linear game. As much as I liked STALKER, I think everybody her can admit that it had a very shaky storyline that was hard to follow, and I (like a lot of people I'm guessing) had to find a walkthrough to get the good ending which summed everything up OK.
Other games like Oblivion pose similar problems. In a non-linear world, plot points and story revelations are normally brought about by triggers and scripted sequences after the player has entered a perimeter. The fact that the player can run around for literally years (in-game time) without anything happening (e.g. with all that time passing wouldn't the Daedra have overrun Oblivion?).

Anyway, from the above one might think the takeaway from this is that I hate sandbox games, which is NOT true. I'm just trying to make the point that linear and non-linear games are not exclusive. I like both, and I don't think one should be praised as "better" than the other.

Nonlinear doesn't necessarily equal sandbox, or mean that the experience can't be as driven and story focussed. I'd rather that instead of cutting a predetermined path through a level we get to choose - escape over the rooftops or slide down a drain. Personaly, I would prefer multiple story arcs - Barney didn't make it this time - and as much freedom to choose as possible.

Non-linear is the future guys.

It isn't.

Personaly, I would prefer multiple story arcs - Barney didn't make it this time - and as much freedom to choose as possible.

Seriously if that's the future, count me out. The good news is, it isn't. It will happen, but it won't take centre stage. Multiple story arcs are the spawn of Satan - they really do suck the big one, and Warren Spector is so many degrees of wrong on this subject.

Why so adverse to choice?

Do you like that every time you enter a room combine come through the same door each time and do the same thing? Everything that you like - the tight narrative, plot etc - could still be there, but the game could continue to surprise you by reacting to your decisions. Think of it at it as lots of linear paths that may occasionally intersect, not like GTA, which is just sandbox punctuated with missions/cutscenes.

What I've always found wonderful about video games is that they react to my presence and input, and that I'm an active participant in my own experience. I think games that just shove you along a pre-determined path aren't always that enduring or memorable. I still think there's some room for traditional storytelling in video games (game designers , in theory, are still holding all the cards), I just think that the more the player is involved in that process then the more personal and enduring the experience is.

As far as im concerned, there is room in the world for both styles, the magical choice between "Linear" and "Non Linear" does not decide if im gonna enjoy it or not, nor does it decide how memorable it is, both have examples of things done badly, while both have examples of classics.

I love both styles of game, and everything in between. There will always be linear games; Half-Life and Call of Duty will be around for a long time, and there are other linear games coming out like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge. Non-linearity is at an early stage in shooters, so obviously there's a lot of excitement about new developments there. UbiSoft is really attempting to push the open world shooter further in Far Cry 2. Right now we have the GTA model of an open world, which sort of has two states; the sandbox, and the linear missions, which are connected by cutscenes. So while you run around the sandbox nothing really happens until you activate a mission, which loads a linear scenario where everything is scripted, and that same mission will always be there, happening the exact same way when you play the game again. And the game will not progress until you have completed the mission the exact way it was intended. Basically a linear game with a sandbox tacked on to it. What's interesting about Far Cry 2 is that missions are part of the open world, affecting it and being affected by it. If your ally dies in the mission he's dead, and the game goes on without him. If you just drive away from the mission it will fail, but the game keeps going and your future missions will be different. It's a much more open game than GTA. Or so they say, we'll see how it really turns out. It sounds great, some of the interviews with UbiSoft's Patrick Redding talk a lot about their incredibly ambitious (possibly a little too ambitious) goals.

Yeah, the game comes out in a little over a month, so it's a bit late to add something like that. I really wish they had done it in the first place, though.

Yeah, the game comes out in a little over a month, so it's a bit late to add something like that. I really wish they had done it in the first place, though.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. However, it could be just a matter of making a new AI behavior script and attaching it to the animal entities.
However, if it comes down to picking between a game with buggy aggressive animal AI, and a game without aggressive animals, I pick the latter.

They could have everything done and prepared and are just considering including it or not.

Non-linear were DOOM 1 and DOOM II.
It's neither the future,nor the past.
It's just AWESOME.

Back