New Hi-Res shots of Portal 2 Surface, Companion Cube Returns

Dekstar

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Over at PC Gamer Magazine's website, twelve new gorgeous looking screenshots have been released. My favourite part of these screenshots is seeing the Portal gun's wear over (presumably) centuries; it's no longer perfectly shiny, with scratches on its surface and dents on its edges. The companion cube is back, and looking slightly futuristic, with a pink glow around the heart. I'm not sure if I prefer it over the old, clean look. Then again, the coloured ring might be part of a puzzle, who knows. The images are below. Enjoy.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif

Saw these a while back, screenshots only do this game so much justice though.

Loving all the tubes. So much more detailed that Portal 1.

oooh even more good looking wallpaper to get me pumped! :D

Is the first pic an actual screen shot? it looks more like concept art. But either way, that pic is the most intriguing

edit: nvm. that pic is in fact just concept art

I think the Companion Cube is glowing because the laser is hurting him, yes, he's suffering. Perhaps it would have been better if he had died in Portal 1 when, you know, you tried to euthanize him.

The first one looks like an inaccurate representation of the Solar System submerged in water.

Perhaps we'll be able to travel to Mars. Who knows?

The first one looks like an inaccurate representation of the Solar System submerged in water.

I at first thought it was an Orrery, then I noticed the orbs were made up of a mesh, or matrix. My guess is its some sort of experiment, probably to create energy fields or electrical arcs

Is this even Source or Valve is once again on their new engine. Let me guess its gonna have the word "source" in it.

Goldsource>Source>BLABLASOURCE

SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLES. I HAVE NOT READ A SINGLE WORD OF THIS THREAD OTHER THAN THE TITLE AND IT IS MORE THAN I WANTED TO KNOW. I AM TRYING TO BE IGNORANT OF AS MUCH DETAILS OF THE GAME AS POSSIBLE AND I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD NOT PUT SUCH THINGS IN THE TITLE. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST AS I WILL NOT BE READING THE THREAD TO RESPOND TO ANY REPLIES. IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO ME DO SO BY PRIVATE MESSAGE OR PROFILE MESSAGE. YOU MAY FIND THIS POST OBNOXIOUS BUT THE SITE DESERVES IT FOR PUTTING SPOILERS IN THE NEWS THREAD TITLES. FOR THIS REASON I AM INFLICTING GIANT TEXT COMIC SANS UPON THE FORUM AND YOU MAY BLAME DEKSTAR FOR IT.

That the companion cube is back. And it's the end boss.

Sweet mother of Christ!

Ban Glenn for spoiling the game.

Seriously? Is anyone actually surprised the most loved character in the first game is in the second?

lol! I tried installing the Crysis 2 demo and my PC froze up. I know the feeling
I don't have any problem with it and im running the leaked beta :D

Ontopic: like I said in the other topic: NIIIIIIICE 1 screenshot set some thinking that you are gonna go to a not test platform to escape.

Rig:
Intel QC9550
4GB DDR2
Windows XP :p I realy need to upgrade to win 7
Ati 5770

Ohh, what if the Companion Cube is glowing because it was given its own personality core... you like the spheres... maybe the Companion Cube will speak to you this time around! D:

I wouldn't be surprised if Companion Cube will be much of companion anymore.

After all, you did kill him.

looks awsome! I'm startin to worry though- I have a NVidia GeForce 9800 GT(X?) and my processor is an intel core2 Quad, any Ideas if I'm gonna be able to run something like this well?

looks awsome! I'm startin to worry though- I have a NVidia GeForce 9800 GT(X?) and my processor is an intel core2 Quad, any Ideas if I'm gonna be able to run something like this well?

Most likely.

I'm not sure if you'll be playing on highest settings however. I got a setup much like yours, albeit a GTS 250. The CPU is still fairly good; most things are still only for two cores, so we're still somewhat high end with quad.

I think it'll depend on your graphics card and the speed of your RAM. I really doubt the CPU will matter. (And to that effect the motherboard, PSU etc.) Harddrives only matter for the load time, so that's hardly essential.

If Portal 2 requires me to play on less than highest settings, it will be the first time my now 3½ year old computer will admit defeat :( (Yes, it got a GPU upgrade, but I didn't purchase it; my 8800 ULTRA died, and I got this as a replacement under warranty) I want it to last a half year more, because then I'll have my masters and a high paying job. Then I will build a new machine with all the newest pieces of hardware :) (Built this one through hard labour at a mall, just before I got into college)

I'm still using my Q6600 (at default clock too) for the last three years, although I have upgraded to a GTX470 because my 9800GTX blewup. I would imagine you wouldn't have problems given the system requirements. I think the light and shadow system would be the most taxing think for your GPU but you got enough Graphical Memory and Clock speed

System Requirements said:

• Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)
  • Memory: 1GB XP / 2GB Vista
  • Hard Disk Space: At least 7.6 GB of Space
  • Video: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b (ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher).
  • Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible

NIIIIIIICE 1 screenshot set some thinking that you are gonna go to a not test platform to escape.

Reminds me of the entrance of an Epcot ride?

CPU-wise, my Specs are a little under-par (I'm sporting a 2.4Ghz C2D), but my GPU and RAM are way above spec. I love that Valve games are so well optimised for older hardware.

ah ok, thanks guys, I was kinda worried because when I tried the demo for Shogun 2 it didn't run quite as perfectly as I's like it to have done- that is, NO antiailiasing for some reason, that thing where textures don't fully load untill you get close up to them, and slightly laggy animations, I'm hoping it's just for the demo.

@surrogate mah PC has 6 gigs of ram, though I'm not sure it uses all of them...

Back