New Information on HL2.NET Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, great idea, the staff would never be able to organise it, not their fault really, but it would very hard to do officially.

Just call it HL2.net radio rather than halflife2.net radio and all legal problems with this site disapear :D

you sort of missed the point there, this site is practically known as hl2.net

I think this would be good if it was staff owned. I don't know how the guests would work, but perhaps you could have like CrazyHarij coming in for an interview about his music, and a song or two of his would be played, or something.

It sounds good, but slightly useless in the long run.

i'd potentially be interested in hosting it actually because i study radio in school and have a good mic and stuff

i dont have fast internets though

i'd potentially be interested in hosting it actually because i study radio in school and have a good mic and stuff

i dont have fast internets though
You live in Sweden, how the hell don't you have fast internets?

poor student + small apartment + leeching 256k internet off the family i rent the apartment from

What does that even mean? How can a game have the same demographic as music? Half-Life 2 doesn't appeal to some people just like the music isn't going to appeal to some people. I don't want to sound insulting, Jintor, because I don't know you. This is just the kind of thing that's going on in this thread that's driving me up a wall.

When you're making a radio station you have to appeal to a much more defined demographic than a game. Half-Life 2 has things in it that appeal to people ages 12 to 50 that like first person shooters. People between ages 12 and 50 listen to very varying types of music.

Is the radio going to drastically change song to song from Dr. Dre to Garth Brooks to Muse to Three Doors Down to Beethoven to Justin Timberlake to In Flames?

It seems to me like this idea hasn't been properly researched at all, which is where my first comment about it being used to promote the clan came from. You cannot possibly make one single radio station that appeals to everyone. If it was possible, one would already exist.
But we're not making a station with the retarded "Hay guys lets make a famous radio station n make millions when everyone listens :D" mindset. This is a community project begun specifically with "this would be really neat." We're not trying to become the new Half-Life Radio, or somehow take over American top-40 stations. We're just trying to do something fun together, and that something happens to be a radio-style webcast.

The only reason I keep posting here is because so many of you say so many awesome things, but there's a distinct lack of extra-forumular activities going on.

My views are with what the rest of the Staff have said :|

Wait, ran by Qonfused? Get ready for none stop Nine Inch Nails and BoC.

Oh its requested music. Nevermind :p

Use HL2.net out of respect to the staff.

But make sure you do it, and to hell with the fat cats in seattle.

you sort of missed the point there, this site is practically known as hl2.net
But it isn't legally known, now is it? And since you're so convinced this is a legal matter, you're statement of "practically" doesn't hold any water because the name is in fact different and you don't own that title.

After reading how careful everyone would have to be on the radio to not insult anyone lest this forum's staff take "flak" (oh noes!) I think it would just be much better for a simple name change and continue it community run. Since this abides by everything, we should expect no more trouble from you staff, even though people are STILL going to associate the radio with this forum because it's a radio made and ran solely by members of the forum. But whatever, if you want to stay strictly legal about it then that's what we'll do.

Call it hl2.net.

Theres absolutely no point in music, if I want music, there's plenty of decent music stations. Just interview forum members and then upload mp3's. Simple.

But it isn't legally known, now is it? And since you're so convinced this is a legal matter, you're statement of "practically" doesn't hold any water because the name is in fact different and you don't own that title.

After reading how careful everyone would have to be on the radio to not insult anyone lest this forum's staff take "flak" (oh noes!) I think it would just be much better for a simple name change and continue it community run. Since this abides by everything, we should expect no more trouble from you staff, even though people are STILL going to associate the radio with this forum because it's a radio made and ran solely by members of the forum. But whatever, if you want to stay strictly legal about it then that's what we'll do.

Nice to see that you're treating it so trivially. Your pedantry doesn't actually mean a damn thing. It's like making an Aliens mod and then calling it "BeingsFromAnotherPlace". It might not legally be the same name, but it's still the same thing. Ultimately, people will still associate it with the site, and you want the association with the site, otherwise you wouldn't be attempting to argue semantics over the name.

I'm aware the name HL2.net won't have any place in the radio's name, I was just sort of being silly with Harij.

But anyway, I just want to be clear that there's nothing wrong with the fact that people associate us with this site regardless of what the name is. We would be doing nothing wrong, it's just like people might have associated Isotown with hl2.net back when it was only on here.

Sorry, but the disclaimer "We would be doing nothing wrong" doesn't really carry much weight. My kids "won't do anything naughty", right up until the point where they do, intentional or not.

Solaris said:
How do 'you' own hl2.net?
We don't. Valve actually do. However, the radio station guys are the one that want the link to this site. They're not looking for a HL2-related name, just the association with this site.

I'm tempted to give an infraction for dissidence.

Pick up the can, Solaris.

-Angry Lawyer

Pi you're misunderstanding what I said. I wasn't talking about content or us saying something that would cause "flak" on the site. I'm asking you staff that you are fine with the fact that a radio with an independant name would be associated with this website on the mere fact that most of its fans and operators are members of hl2.net.

Vegeta said:
Pi you're misunderstanding what I said. I wasn't talking about content or us saying something that would cause "flak" on the site. I'm asking you staff that you are fine with the fact that a radio with an independant name would be associated with this website on the mere fact that most of its fans and operators are members of hl2.net.

That depends entirely on what the "association" is. Using the names halflife2.net or hl2.net (regardless of ownership) makes it look like it's officially sanctioned by the site owners. Which it isn't.

Oh of course not, we're not going to use any of those names. We're clear on how important such things are.

But it's not like we can't say something like "here we have so and so from hl2.net forums, blah blah" ?

Legally, if they used HL2.net, they wouldn't be breaching anything I don't think.

We'd rather not have the entire staff pissed at us Solaris :p

Qonf says:

To Pi: What does my previous infraction report have to do with anything? Spamming and flaming says nothing about how I feel towards the community and is totally irrelevant. Answer me this: if I didn’t care about the community or the forum, why would I be doing this? Also: check your email once in awhile.

To Samon: Fine, I’ll change the name. It’s nothing set in stone, ffs. It was just a spur of the moment type of thing. Here’s my thinking process: “A radio station for the forum community… HalfLife2.net Radio! Clever and ingenious!” And about the banner: yeah, that was a permanent thing, for sure. I didn’t just copy and paste the forum header into PS and put text on it for a temporary purpose.

Obviously Dekstar’s thought is now null considering the overall attitude of the forum staff. I want to get this off the ground, and all you can do is bitch and moan about legalities? It has not even started yet! I’m sorry that a temporary name and temporary banner has caused such a stir, but I can’t help but notice that this behavior directly relates to the overall attitude of the forum now-a-days. As CrazyHarij said, things change, yes, but they can always drift somewhat back. What am I trying to do? Pull this shattered community together so maybe I can experience the old HL2.net for a second.

The negativity is astounding to me, tbh.

I don't endorse the rather hostile attitude (I'm going to try to do my best to not make myself look like a fool and put myself into even more hot water with some staff members) but what he says is a nice sum-up of what I was trying to explain to Samon last night, and what we plan on doing.

Hey everyone, tune in this ?day, ? ??, 20?? for the first official broadcast of the HL2.NET Radio!

Can you repeat the date, please?

What if we call it "HL2.net radio: the unofficial radio of halflife2.net" or something? If we made it clear that this wasn't officially sanctioned, wouldn't it be okay?

What if we call it "HL2.net radio: the unofficial radio of halflife2.net" or something? If we made it clear that this wasn't officially sanctioned, wouldn't it be okay?
Shh, don't ask for what's reasonable or you'll lose your rations for the month!

For reasons outlined on the second page, no.

I don't know if you are using non-standard posts-per-page Samon, but I don't see any reasons on the second page. I see one post by you closing the thread which does not brush on the matter at all.

I wasn't trying to offend you Samon, you need to stop thinking I'm always against you. Honestly I don't know if I could have asked in a nicer way, yet you take it as some sort of sarcastic cock remark. And so you respond with one. Thanks.

Ok I'm assuming you are referring to this statement:

"We would take the flak for it, no matter how much you stated that you weren't official."

And this just plain doesn't make sense. You'd have to be stupid to complain to the staff of a site that the radio said clearly that it had nothing to do with. Can you please explain how this is so?

all the things you are rambling up about what would be reasonable or not are irrelevant to the simple factor of whether we actually like you + this idea or not, and get this: we don't. make your own damn name instead of leeching off some site to attract listeners.

as a radio student i have to say that your ideas and plans of how to run a radio show are completely batshit insane.

What am I trying to do? Pull this shattered community together so maybe I can experience the old HL2.net for a second.

oh the drama.

"We would take the flak for it, no matter how much you stated that you weren't official."

And this just plain doesn't make sense. You'd have to be stupid to complain to the staff of a site that the radio said clearly that it had nothing to do with. Can you please explain how this is so?

you have any idea how people think? some users off a forum join and spam and attack another site. who do you think the users of the affected site is going to get back at, the individual users or the forum as a whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back