New Left 4 Dead Update Locks Versus Mode to "Normal"

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
A New update for Left 4 Dead has been released which helps you find a dedicated server when starting the game from a lobby faster and more reliable, and locking the verses mode to "normal" difficulty.

• Finding a dedicated server when starting the game from a lobby is now faster and more reliable
  • Versus mode is now locked to Normal difficulty
  • Difficulty on a server is now locked to the one set by the lobby reservation
  • Fixed lagouts/spikes after level transition
  • Fixed directory issue with spray logs in some cases
  • Fixed video settings not saving after closing video options dialog
  • Corrected a boomer suicide exploit
  • Several minor localization fixes
  • Fixed disabling cheats incorrectly resetting data

Restart Steam. Get Update.[br]

Don't forget to join Halflife2.net Versus mode server, Click here for more info.

What exactly was the boomer suicide exploit?

Pes can help with the first part of that plan.

Wut. Is this a voting lock only or can't a server admin still set difficulties?

Advanced Versus is so much more fun when you have good players in the game. Normal makes it too easy for any half decent Survivor team.

I just don't get why they've done it.
Obviously Expert or Easy are just stupid for Versus, both Advanced is just as playable as Normal, if not more so.

I just don't get why they've done it.
Obviously Expert or Easy are just stupid for Versus, both Advanced is just as playable as Normal, if not more so.

wtf are everyone on drugs...expert versus is fun as hell and very much do-able...provided you have teams that can handle that mode in campaign mode.

I don't get why they don't just make it up to the player as a search criteria for when you go thru the "play online" option, just like it is with a campaign game. that way everyone is happy...you want sissy mode go for it...you want to get your ass spanked as soon as you leave the safe room then go for it. why force players!?

this is ****ing stupid, normal is piss easy for survivors and not very rewarding to play as an infected(or survivor for that matter)....nothing grinds my teeth more than playing on low diff. versus server as infected and either pinning or ensnaring a survivor...and when he finally gets help, half a minute later, and the ****er is still on green health:frown: **** that shit.

if anything lock it at advanced and not normal...people should learn to play properly before hampering other people in a competitive environment anyway:hmph:

Put me down as another who liked Advanced over Normal. Even Expert could be hilarious fun at times.

Normal is a test of how much damage the Infected can do to the Survivors. Advanced and Expert make it too easy for the Infected- I mean, what's the point in having this long campaign if the Survivors only ever make it half way across the map.

I see the problem.

You need to play with better teams.
Any good survivor team can beat an equivalent infected team without any trouble in Advanced as long as they play well - up until the Finale, which is more of a challenge.
A good survivor team has no challenge in Normal Versus. Honestly, any team that can beat Campaigns on Advanced regularly and Expert on a good day will find Normal Vs too easy as Survivors.

While playing on Expert VS on a server, we never even got more than 10% into the game before everybody died on both times...blah.

*EDIT* I was actually going to test the server out and throw it on Impossible, just to test and see if it is indeed forever locked....who wants to be my test subject?

Eejit, it's not Infected vs. Survivors- it's one team pitted against another to see who ends up with the better Survivor score. It is the Infected's job to minimize the Survivor's score by doing the most damage possible.

Survivors should rarely wipe completely.

According to the dev comments in game, the idea of versus was to "Get further than the other team, so you can get more points"

They never said anything about "damage them more so you keep your higher score". I believe they wanted it on Advanced, but they knew the newbs of the world would uproar and cry like babies.

That doesn't make any sense considering remaining health is the largest boost to the base score, and remaining survivors is the biggest multiplier.

If distance traveled were the main factor for score, it would be something like
(average distance traveled) * (difficulty multiplier) = final score

If you don't believe me, check it out yourself. They said it plain as day.

Maybe you misinterpreted what they said.

There ought to be a ****huge bonus for the Infected for killing any amount of survivors, not a ****huge bonus for Survivors simply getting to the end.

No...they said it pretty much word for word lol.

I'd like to know how tight the lock is. Ideally, it should still be possible to have custom server settings, such as non-normal difficulty versus, but such a server shouldn't be put in the matchmaking pool.

I once randomly got assigned with a bunch of strangers to a expert-versus server. Went down from friendly fire at the first sight of zombies every map. Of course, their team had the same problem. A typical randomly grouped team should not find themselves on an expert server.

I had a similar thing happen with a campaign server with infinite ammo.

If somebody could go on the hl2.net server *I'm at work..* and see what difficulty it's on, we'll know how tight the lock is.

Expert versus is hilarious. Everyone gets pinned down and killed in the beginning safe house.

The locking annoys me slightly, since Normal mode is stupidly easy. Also, the Boomer fix is sad too, it was enjoyable.

I like how it's on Normal normally...but the lack of a way to change, come on.

expert versus is fun as hell and very much do-able...provided you have teams that can handle that mode in campaign mode.

It's actually frustrating... People can handle expert in campaign, yes, but they can revive and retry a map several times if needed... On versus, you die, you die, just gonna play as survivors again in the next map... And sometimes an expert full campaign match on versus takes like 5 minutes, because survivors can get out of the safe room.

In versus, special infected are much more constant, and, usually, smarter then AI bosses... They plan, and ambush survivors, plus the fact that sometimes we have 2 or even 3 hunters at the same time...

I guess it should be Advanced. What I mean is that advanced is not THAT difficult, but still provide some challenge. It's really frustrating for a team of infected, who sometimes had a hard time as survivors, to see a team of survivors easily fly through a map, taking bits of damage here and there, but for some reason, there are not much infected around, so they go through all of the map in 30 seconds. Infected don't even get to play like that. And when a tank spawns, every survivor has green health, either for not being hurt at all, even taking several hits, or for having LOTs of spare healthkits, so that the tank can't even reach one of them.

Cyberpitz: Would HL2.net like a server based in America?

# Fixed lagouts/spikes after level transition

# Fixed directory issue with spray logs in some cases

# Fixed video settings not saving after closing video options dialog

At last some good fixes.

Cyberpitz: Would HL2.net like a server based in America?

Not at this time. We tried that with our TF2 servers, and that failed miserably. As of right now, we're happy with just filling up the UK server. If we start needing more, we may throw up a US Campaign server or something.

Normal is a test of how much damage the Infected can do to the Survivors. Advanced and Expert make it too easy for the Infected- I mean, what's the point in having this long campaign if the Survivors only ever make it half way across the map.

exactly, this happened every time, unless the infected team were complete idiots.

The tank doesn't have enough health in versus before. But now it is too weak as it is stuck on normal!

Eejit, it's not Infected vs. Survivors- it's one team pitted against another to see who ends up with the better Survivor score. It is the Infected's job to minimize the Survivor's score by doing the most damage possible.

Survivors should rarely wipe completely.

They should wipe completely if they're bad.

Unfortunately this update seems to have introduced a new bug, zombie mannequins that cannot be moved or killed.

Back