New Legend of Zelda details apparently confirmed

Eh? I thought it looked lovely. Not as stunning as Wind Waker, sure, but a step up from Twilight Princess, which was always a rather incoherent and grainy, if oddly beautiful, mess.

-Gameplay seems very focused on all the stuff a Wiimote can do now, at cost of the original type of weapon gameplay. Looks like it's becoming a collection of minigames instead of a action adventure.

Again, eh? By mini games you mean you have to swing the wiimote to use your sword and aim like in Resort to fire the bow? Seems your looking for faults here and not finding any good ones ;)

My only gripe with the Zelda demo was the obvious problem with the setup. There was likely light hitting the sensor as that causes odd jerky movement and the wiimote to not register. I get exactly the same problem on a sunny day when the curtains aren't shut. It was the same in Mickey demo.

Again, eh? By mini games you mean you have to swing the wiimote to use your sword and aim like in Resort to fire the bow? Seems your looking for faults here and not finding any good ones ;)

Well, I say they put the focus on swinging with the Wiimote, which will be at cost of the action. Fights can never be as fast-paced as eg Twilight Princess with as much options/strategies, if you have to make every detailed weapon movement yourself.

I dunno - have you played Resort? Making an accurate swing with the sword is just as quick as it was in Twilight Princess - the difference is you can slice at seemingly any angle and speed you like. As it's not going to take much brain power to decide whether you want to slice bad guys down the middle or cut them in half at the waist i'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe the bow will be too slow? We'll see. Nintendo don't make basic mistakes in game control - they tend to lead the way. Have a little faith! :)

50% Wind Waker 50% Twilight Princess

100% win

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103914670.jpg

I dunno - have you played Resort? Making an accurate swing with the sword is just as quick as it was in Twilight Princess - the difference is you can slice at seemingly any angle and speed you like. As it's not going to take much brain power to decide whether you want to slice bad guys down the middle or cut them in half at the waist i'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe the bow will be too slow? We'll see. Nintendo don't make basic mistakes in game control - they tend to lead the way. Have a little faith! :)

We'll see it by the time it releases, but I'm very sceptic at the moment.(especially talking about the core gameplay changes I don't like, and the generic graphics design)

have you played Resort?

Not yet.

Yes, and so was Twilight Princess. I'm disappointed in Nintendo's choice of art style so far.

Even the character design for some of the enemies looks bad.

picture1ho.png

Interesting art style. I'll need to see a video before I can make up my mind. Does the sword swinging actually register your movement this time or is just just like Twilight Princess where you just waggle the remote and its makes pre-set swings?

Twilight Princess didn't look that good - the pic above is not representative of the blocky browns and greens most of the game gave us. I'll take the new Zelda!

Hmm... I'm not 100% on the art style, but I've gotta say it looks ten times better in those high res shots than in any video I've seen, which leads me to believe it's something you've gotta see on a proper TV set to do it justice. It has a watercolour style to it that leads to it looking kind of washed out in lower quality, but in those other shots it's clear there's still a lot of detail... still, time will tell.

Sure hope you can deactivate those on-screen controls though. >_>

Did they mention anything about difficulty levels in the demonstration or was that rumour bullshit?

The textures in the new Zelda look like shit compared to those in Twilight Princess. The scenery looks so flat and bland. Call me a graphics whore, but all the previous Zelda games have always had excellent art direction, with really gave them some charm. Hopefully the footage they showed was just from unfinished areas.

The more I watch the trailer, the more I fall in love with the art style. The controls and the application of them look swell. I am, however, very scared in regards to the actual structure of the game. I'm getting frightful visions of an entirely linear Zelda, rather than it's traditional open world formula. Hopefully the changes only apply to the dungeons :(

I'm here to deliver a single screen shot of the demo area, which shows some sort of blurry watercolour thing going on:

thelegendofzeldaskyward.jpg

Uhg, jeez that looks bad. I didn't mind the art in the first couple, but the one Zephos just posted looks like balls. It makes their limited polycount stick out like a sore thumb.

But even ignoring that last screenshot, I still like Twilight Princess and Windwaker better.

Also, that GUI better be for demonstration purposes only.

Details from the Miyamoto/Aonuma briefing, spoilers ahead:

Kotaku said:
- Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

- Miyamoto says that this time last year, when the new Zelda was first unveiled, the core gameplay was already in an almost complete state. But the art was not. Hence the change in style from what we saw in 2009 to what we saw earlier today.

- While the game is now nearly finished, with only a few more dungeons and bosses to go, Nintendo want to give the development team the rest of the year to complete the game. Which makes it sound like a 2011 game.

- Aonuma says that the scene which concludes the trailer, in which Link leaps off a cliff into a sea of clouds, is an important story point. Instead of being raised in a village on the ground, he's been brought up in a town called Skyloft, which is a floating island.

- He's lived his life in the clouds, and has only recently "discovered" the land below, which he finds has been overrun with evil forces. You spend the game going back and forth between these two regions: Skyloft, and the ground below.

- The "Skyward Sword" you see in the trailer and screenshots eventually becomes the Master Sword.

- Skyward's unique visual style, which looks like a halfway meeting between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, was inspired by Miyamoto's love of impressionism, and the skies in the game are a tribute to Cézanne.

- Miyamoto jokes that if the game used Twilight Princess' art style, it "would have been done by now".

- Aonuma is quickly back onto Ocarina on 3DS, saying that it should make some of the tougher parts of the game easier; the Water Temple, for example, because with the touch-screen things like changing boots are a lot quicker and easier.

- Now back to Skyward Sword; Aonuma says that the final version of the game will ship with support for both MotionPlus and the sensor bar, so that things like archery can be as accurate as possible (similar to how Red Steel 2 was able to ensure the game never "lost you" if you stopped pointing the Wii Remote at the screen).

- The HUD we've seen in Skyward Swords can be switched off if you think it clutters things up too much.

Mario Galaxy 2 had a big, thunderous orchestral soundtrack. Will Skyward follow suit? Miyamoto says Nintendo couldn't do what it did with Galaxy 2 and not do the same with the next Zelda.

I wonder does all this Sky stuff have anything to do with the Occoo or whatever they were called?

So Zelda will be getting a proper orchestrated soundtrack for the first time? Awesome.

The HUD we've seen in Skyward Swords can be switched off if you think it clutters things up too much.

Hey! Finally a thing I say someone "better do, or else" was done! Horray!

Okay so that screenshot I linked is actually, supposedly.. concept art?

well, it wouldn't be a zelda game if the initial unveiling of the art direction was quite jarring and surprising at first so, like wind waker and twilight princess before, i'll quite happy sit back knowing that in a few months time it'll of grown on me and i'll be even more hungry for the game

... or will i?

yeah i will it's zelda

edit: on closer inspection of videos, i will say that it's only really the screens of the colourful forest glade that have been a bit iffy for me. watching that e3 trailer video with the other environments - fire dungeon, snow, cliffside with vista, other woodland elements - they all look a lot more like the zelda i know and love. yeah, i'm pretty confident i can be happy with this, actually. roll on release.

Okay so that screenshot I linked is actually, supposedly.. concept art?
I thought it looked a bit too post-processed for a Wii screenshot. Either way, it's my new background.

I think this artistic style fits the thematic conventions of the Zelda series more than either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

- Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

Wtf is that supposed to mean?
Everything else there sounds pretty tight, though. Especially the orchestrated music.

I cannot remember the last time I was so excited for a Zelda game. Looks bloody awesome.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the focus on fun rather than story. Twilight Princess had such an insanely good story, it would be a shame to step backwards on that regard. I'm sure it'll still be fairly epic though.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the focus on fun rather than story. Twilight Princess had such an insanely good story, it would be a shame to step backwards on that regard. I'm sure it'll still be fairly epic though.

Yeah, I'm worried about this as well :(

The art direction for this is flawless. It's a combination of the nice fluid shell shading with the detail of Twilight Princess. Windwaker had extra room for process since the graphics were limited, but the animations in the game were really fine tuned and made the art style flourish. Twilight Princess lacked this utterly yet I'm beginning to think this new art direction will take the great visual aspects of both.

The art direction for this is flawless. It's a combination of the nice fluid shell shading with the detail of Twilight Princess. Windwaker had extra room for process since the graphics were limited, but the animations in the game were really fine tuned and made the art style flourish. Twilight Princess lacked this utterly yet I'm beginning to think this new art direction will take the great visual aspects of both.

I don't know.. something about it just feels empty.

Twilight Princess? Great story? What? It was basically the exact same save the world stuff again. Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask had decent stories. Everything else is collect items defeat Ganon also there's a dark world.

I'm liking the art direction. Twilight Princess had some nice-looking overexposed effects for the twilit areas but it looked very bland in a lot of places. I had very mixed feeling over that game's graphics.

Edit: Wind Waker's story was interesting too.

I think it was the presentation of the story in TP that they did well, but I still did enjoy the story.

I cringe whenever I watch someone playing a game for the first time. Game looks great though. It really takes me back.

The game does look better than I originally thought it would be. This reminds me, I should go back and play LoZ: Oracle of Ages and Seasons.

/me goes to dig out old SP

Back