Walking round in women's underwear
Reaction score
from Robin Walker <[email protected]>
To: <removed>,
Date: Dec 31, 2007 4:28 PM
Subject RE: TF2 - Official Stance on "Medic Boosting?"
Mailed-by: valvesoftware.com

Hi Ross.
We just released an update that fixes this. We're not trying to remove all unexpected side effects in the game, but this one did allow players to get to a variety of places that broke the game. We're working on a large new feature that'll add a set of interesting choices for Medics to make about their tactics, so in the future we expect the Medic role to broaden over time.

Robin.
--------------------------
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:24 AM
To: Gabe Newell <[email protected]>
Subject: TF2 - Official Stance on "Medic Boosting?"

Hello,
I'm emailing because I would like to know what Valve's official opinion is about the technique called "medic boosting." I'm sure by now Valve is aware that if a medic hits the soles of any class's feet with his syringe gun, they are propelled upward. There has been a debate within the community about whether this was intended or not, and regardless of intent, whether this is frowned upon, or accepted by Valve as a valid tactic. Supporters of it claim that it requires not just a lot of practice but a great deal of teamwork, and that even when boosted up, players often take damage from the fall down, and are always able to be killed despite their unusual and unexpected position. This technique is also used a great deal on community-made climbing maps to boost engineers up and build teleporters as save points incase players fall down and die.

It definitely enhances the medic's role as a support class, to not only boost someone's health, but to launch them into battle, making the prospect of playing a medic more exciting for players.
So, with that said, I would like to hear what Valve thinks, and the reasoning behind your view of whether it is a valid tactic or not.

-Ross B.

Screenshot of Email

I think we can rule out the possibilities of grenades and a infection ability so I wonder what this could be. :O

Sweet! Medic is my favorite class, so I'm kind of looking forward to this.

Huh. Interesting... maybe some kind of teammate-shielding thing?

I bet it's going to be such a small feature everyone's gonna get dissapointed and complain ... again :O

probably will have the option to form a healing force field.

I think he gets riot shield/minigun!

Someone on the Steampowered forum had speculated about a secondary fire for the medigun that instead of an uber it boosts everyone with in a certain radius to 250% of their health.

Seemed like an interesting idea.

That Ross person nearly had to die, if he had sent that email a few days earlier and valve didnt know about the syringe boostin, I would have had to walk to his house and destroy his face with his bum cheaks

It better well be infection, medic desperately needs something to get the big target off his forehead.

That Ross person nearly had to die, if he had sent that email a few days earlier and valve didnt know about the syringe boostin, I would have had to walk to his house and destroy his face with his bum cheaks

Maybe you could be productive and suggest that they add an entity that re-enables mediboosting on a per-map basis?

Alternate fire for the needle gun: healing grenade! :D

Maybe when an Ubercharge isn't fully charged, holding down alt-fire on the Medigun will heal all friendly players in a radius by draining your Ubercharge meter?

Maybe when an Ubercharge isn't fully charged, holding down alt-fire on the Medigun will heal all friendly players in a radius by draining your Ubercharge meter?

I like that idea, it would make capturing a point easier as well

I like the idea of the healing gun healing team mates and damaging foes.

That'd be pretty awesome.

The Medigun could sap enemy health, and even sap enemy Ubercharge if another Medic is targeted.

Better yet - Medic's sappin mah sentry!

But on a more serious note, Medics sapping enemy health = awesome.

Bah, I say never expect much from valve (in a non-offensive way), so that way you never get dissapointed.

And the WOW factor is multipled when something does impress you :D

Anesthetic needles, slows your enemy down so you can escape when your medic buddy dies!

I think it'll be an offense-based change, as I believe this is the reason so few people play the medic frequently; it's not the strongest character to get kills with. I'm torn about this myself. I'm looking forward to the additions, but not to more people playing the medic. More than two on a team seems to be too much.

(Spy's medic call sounds like this...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomfnn6XHaE

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

"Extinguish teammates". Could medics do that before? When I heal people that are on fire it doesn't seem to put it out any faster.

"Extinguish teammates". Could medics do that before? When I heal people that are on fire it doesn't seem to put it out any faster.

Forgive me, it's been a couple of weeks since I last played. But, whenever I am on fire and a dispenser or medic heals me, the fire goes away. Am I remembering wrong?

Yep, fires get put out faster when being healed, or right away when you pick up pills or a medkit.

Also, new av.

HAHA! "FYI - Bonesaw spy caller". :D

OOH! OOH! its an alternate fire for melee! which makes you inject yourself get one hit kills with melee for three seconds!!

actually, thats not a bad idea. i thought i was just joking...

Forgive me, it's been a couple of weeks since I last played. But, whenever I am on fire and a dispenser or medic heals me, the fire goes away. Am I remembering wrong?
Whenever I heal people that are on fire as a medic it always takes a few seconds for them to go out.

I want the Medic update. :(

I can already see Medics out-populating any other class in games when it's first released :p

Thank god. I always thought the Medic didn't have any good use, excluding the uber charge.

Back