New piece of concept art appears.

As good as that second picture is, there's no-one called Bennett (signature and date, bottom left) working at Valve, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
Remember that at the end of ep.2 they had the coordinates for the combine overworld so perhaps whatever's in the Arctic will allow them to go there which may be the reason why the art looks like the citadel.
No, they had coordinates for the Borealis.

They had the co-ordinates for the Overworld as well, it's what they needed to shut down the superportal. It was mentioned in the introductory scene with Magnusson. This is, however, still Earth for the moment. On a slightly related note, it seems as if Valve is really going to get into the vertical gameplay they seem to love so much (see LC commentary).

Oh I see other concept art has been already posted.

Definatley Gordon in it this time...

And it isnt a Citadel, definatley not. Probably the facility Mossman is in up in the arctic, or possibly the Borealis.

One thing or another, its definatley amazing!! :eek:

EDIT: Scratch that, I didnt see the other link
*looks at second art work*
OMFG!!!!
*gibs*

EDIT again: Its wired in, but what for...
I wonder...;)

EDIT yet again: Look. I just realised. Its one big picture...
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/half-l...a-20080710155756131049/g-20080710154921839018
Looking at both peices side by side clearly shows the two are related. Now heres a crude and rather pathetic attempt to show what I mean...
fullconcept1.jpg

Pretty bad but this still shows that in the original picture we got months ago, you can still see the Borealis in it.

@ Nicky 0123: nice find, it really looks as if the earlier artwork it only a small picture in the new one:

14b6kb4.jpg

Hl2 ep3 story has just been cracked.Combine find tech.U and alyx kill combine.Get/Destroy tech.Something massive happens-Half Life 3

Oh man this had got my hype meter high again, that icy Borealis looks awesome. So by the looks of it the Combine are already there. Strange there was no sign of combine in the Ep2 transmition of the Borealis.

Oh man this had got my hype meter high again, that icy Borealis looks awesome. So by the looks of it the Combine are already there. Strange there was no sign of combine in the Ep2 transmition of the Borealis.
Wasn't the Ep2 transmission of the Borealis included in the data packet with Mossman? It seems the Borealis footage dates back to Episode One, a lot could happen since then - we don't see the current state of the Borealis in Episode Two. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As good as that second picture is, there's no-one called Bennett (signature and date, bottom left) working at Valve, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Jeremy Bennett is an artist at Valve, and worked on the piece of art in the first post.

I would think that the Combine found the Borealis shortly after the transmission was recorded. It shows Elite soldiers and a Hunter breaking into the base that Mossman was operating from. So if the Combine did overpower the rebels stationed at the Borealis, that would have happened at some point in Episode One, leaving plenty of time for them to establish Citadel-like defences around the ship.

Wasn't the Ep2 transmission of the Borealis included in the data packet with Mossman? It seems the Borealis footage dates back to Episode One, a lot could happen since then - we don't see the current state of the Borealis in Episode Two. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're right. Good point. The Borealis footage from EP2 was early EP1. Almost 2 days ago.

TTTTTTTTTTTTIME MACHINE! Durr.

They had the co-ordinates for the Overworld as well, it's what they needed to shut down the superportal. It was mentioned in the introductory scene with Magnusson. This is, however, still Earth for the moment. On a slightly related note, it seems as if Valve is really going to get into the vertical gameplay they seem to love so much (see LC commentary).

They had Contact Codes for the Combine Overworld, they also have co-ordinates for Borealis.

Contact Codes don't necessarily mean anything. Might just mean they use them to establish a communication link between the two universes, like my router and my wireless adapter needs the same password to establish a link.

In the end, it may be required to have overwatch to tell the Overworld which universe they are in like: "Hi, this is overwatch in the universe with that nice little planet called earth, I just wanted to let you know that everything has gone to shit down here, and we require those nice reinforcements you always brag about"

@ Nicky 0123: nice find, it really looks as if the earlier artwork it only a small picture in the new one:

14b6kb4.jpg

I actually noticed the Red and black of the borealis on the side of the first picture.

But yeh :D

Oh k now we know that it's the Borealis in that concept art that many kept stating was the air exchange making a come back. Now I wish to know what is that structure that is next to the Borealis holding it up. Perhaps another citadel? Dunno how they could bring something that huge in without their home world teleportation capabilities. So it must be another huge combine structure that was transported by other means, maybe a new transport synth that we've yet to see in the half life universe that is way bigger than the dropship. They could've just built it all from scratch as well but considering how long it's been since episode 1 that must mean that the combine sure are fast constructors.

I think I will make the term "Combine homeworld" a bannable offence.

Do I get a prize for saying I think it is NOT the Combine Homeworld.

Cause I highly doubt that...

Ah yes I forgot, the Combine overworld network sound better to you? Yes I know the there is a network of linked worlds in the Combine economy and no main homeworld since that place is most likely long forgotten but I got carried away and said those dreadful words.

I just realised...

uncovered via the 2008 IntoThePixel E3 art gallery.

:O

E3 maybe? Even though Portal 2 has nothing for E3, Left 4 Dead obviously does.

I smell a trailer...

It's only been about three days (in-game) Since Mossmen found the ship and got attacked. How could the combine build that fast? They don't have a engineer on there team do they?

I don't want to leave earth untl the middle of HL3.

I like to think of combine architecture as self assembly, like a weird mechanical plant that they seed into an area, then constantly feed with parts to make it 'grow' like a parasite.

Let's keep in mind that the advisors have strong telekinetic powers. An army of them could build a whole new citadel in a week ;)

Remember in Episode 2 to Kliener said the Borealis disappeared and all dock of a bad experience. Perhaps the Borealis gone to combine the homeland, and it comes back to combine an implant wall combine to make it grow and devour the ship. Like how the city was HL2 with large walls of the city to eat food. Secondly Who is walking on the platform. If the images are being taken over time, then that means that the directors do not worry about the person across the road. It is perhaps GMAN Breen! Imagine if Breen lives and he was relocated here to help return for their horrible peacekeeper as a failure for the poor who abused Combine trying to evolve in humans

Let's keep in mind that the advisors have strong telekinetic powers. An army of them could build a whole new citadel in a week ;)

I don't think the City 17 citadel was built on Earth, I believe it was planted.

Your right, it was planted.

But I don't think this is combine handywork. Yeh, it might seems like it but I think this is the work of Cave or GLaDOS - Aperture Science.

The Borealis has some sort of portal technology that will allow the Combine to bring in reinforcements, so they are building a portal on top of the Borealis to allow that to happen. End.

Do you now work at Valve :O

If not, not end.

But good theory :D

Structure around the Borealis is definitely built by the Combine. I don't know why everyone think it's weird that Combine found the Borealis...

Judith Mossman:
I'm fairly sure I've pinned down the location of the project. It's hard to say how much of it might have survived intact or if there is anything remaining that could compromise our work if it were discovered by the Combine. We'll need to take a close look at it, of course, but I should be able to give a better opinion within a few hours. If the site is where we think it is, it should be no more than...I'm gonna have to cut this short, we may have been spotted...

That makes it sound like Mossman is spying on the combine and the Borealis.

It's hard to say how much of it might have survived intact
From the teleport, im sure at least half of ship would be gone.

if there is anything remaining that could compromise our work if it were discovered by the Combine.
Their work being the teleport technology, and them finding Aperture teleport technology which they could use.

In the film we didn't see a 360' of the Borealis, or that may of been taken between the combine finding it, and setting up there "scaffolding". Those shots we see in ep2 will probably be nothing like how it looks if we go there.

She is not talking about Borealis. As Magnusson mentions first time we see him, she was sent to recover the super portal's code. We don't know what this 'project' is, if it was Aperture's ship Eli and Kleiner wouldn't be so shocked by very presence of it in Judith's transmission.

I would say when Borealis got lost Aperture people must have been going out of their way to find it, since our friends know about it, it's safe to assume Black Mesa administration found out about it too. That would mean both companies were racing each other to recover it. Now 'the project' may be a facility that's capable of tracking and examining anomalies produced by devices linked with teleportation technology. Furthermore, if we take into account speculation that Judith after loosing to Gordon in Black Mesa job application, got hired by Aperture Science instead, it would make sense if she knew a little about wherabouts of such outpost. Of course, she hasn't found the site itself from what we know, but the place we saw her at may have held results of Aperture's work on loacting Borealis.

That teleport site you see at the end of HL2 is what was used to transport the Citadel.

Guys, guys, guys.

Do keep in mind it might be also just an inspiration piece - to nail the atmosphere, not the story or setting.

I think that that the borealis contains the ASHPD and that the advisors are guarding it while the other combine are modifying it to make it bigger and more suitable for them

Back