New trailer for The Thing Prequel: Animatronic Monsters and No Norwegian

The makers said they'd be using animatronics and puppeteering for the monster appearances. Also according to a thread that was on /tv/ the scene with the Norwegians chasing the dog and getting killed is still in, but it doesn't end there. Apparently they pull an escape for the female lead out of their ass. Meh. Hollywood.

:|

:|:|:|

John Carpenter's remake of The Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time. I run around these forums spouting off how I don't understand when people get all up in arms about shitty remakes that "ruin" the original. and now i think i can relate

that
looks
****ing
horrible

way to literally take every aspect of the original (remake) that made it so excellent, and reverse it. no, its not ruining the original, but it certainly will piss me off if i mention "the thing" and someone says "THAT HORROR FLICK WITH RAMONA FLOWERS?" eat my dick, remake.

My sentiments exactly, Yuri. I've already introduced the Carpenter film to several friends already so I don't have to nerdrage over them.

Edit: And my bad. I incorrectly said remake in the title. This is a prequel. If a mod could fix it that would be lovely.

Also that looks like a shit ton of CG.

Err, where?

What bothered me in this trailer was the acting, the cringe worthy lines, oh and the ever popular *BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNN* made famous by Inception.

The vehicle falling down through the ice looks very CG, but that was probably the only thing from the trailer.

Yeah looks like every other shitty horror movie from the last decade or so. A lot of unlikeable characters getting dragged places by an unseen monster. How exhilarating!!

I like how they try to invoke nostalgia by playing the original theme over the title card, too.

What do you mean no Norwegians? I saw plenty in the trailer.

What do you mean no Norwegians? I saw plenty in the trailer.
He said no Norwegian, as in the language. Because at the start of Carpenter's film they come across a survivor who only speaks Norwegian and they can't understand him so logically the people in the base should all be speaking in Norwegian in this film.

I really do need to get around to seeing Carpenter's film.

Edit: And my bad. I incorrectly said remake in the title. This is a prequel. If a mod could fix it that would be lovely.

are you sure its just a prequel? it looks like they combined the prequel aspect with a straight up remake of carpenter's, with scenes like the locked up dogs and the flamethrower. as if they just left out the norwegians and included finding the monster in the remake, as to not be too confusing for their lowest common denominator target audience.

listening to that f*cking c*nt slowly spell out every aspect of the monster to the rest of the crew made me cringe, and hearing that she might escape. ugh arharhgh **** this movie **** it in the goddamn ****ing face

on a nicer note, i sorta liked the game. anybody else play it?

Man I loved the film, I watched it when I was definitely too young but really enjoyed it despite my dislike for horror films generally. The trailer looks ok, I can see it won't capture those old feelings towards the '82 version but I'll definitely go see it.

Too many jump scares, too much screaming, too much corny dialogue, and way too much hammy acting.

Man I loved the film, I watched it when I was definitely too young but really enjoyed it despite my dislike for horror films generally. The trailer looks ok, I can see it won't capture those old feelings towards the '82 version but I'll definitely go see it.

Same here. I can still remember my dad saying that I was probably a bit too young to watch it but that it was a must-see. I had nightmares for weeks but I loved it.

Hah our dads were being cruel to be kind, we had the same conversation. On good old VHS tape too, they weren't so bad.

Yeah, I've played it twice through on my many years on this earth and found it pretty enjoyable. The whole 'suspicion' mechanic doesn't work as well as it could have but the rest is a fun survival horror romp with interesting team combat.

The effects that were shown in the trailer looked fine to me, but the acting ugh...

are you sure its just a prequel? it looks like they combined the prequel aspect with a straight up remake of carpenter's, with scenes like the locked up dogs and the flamethrower. as if they just left out the norwegians and included finding the monster in the remake, as to not be too confusing for their lowest common denominator target audience.

listening to that f*cking c*nt slowly spell out every aspect of the monster to the rest of the crew made me cringe, and hearing that she might escape. ugh arharhgh **** this movie **** it in the goddamn ****ing face

Yeah buddy it's a straight up prequel. They're trying too hard to make it like the original too though.

Putting aside the fact that this "prequel" should not exist, this trailer was balls. It's essentially Carpenter's masterpiece again but a whole lot shittier in every regard - recycled scenes and cornball explanatory dialogue.

Problem is, I watched The Thing again last night and realised that it has plenty of its own obvious explanatory dialogue. After they kill the first 'thing' in the dog kennel Blair suddenly and inexplicably knows what it is and how it works; he makes an explanatory speech. McCready, likewise, makes a few monologues very similar to one in the trailer. It is in that respect very faithful to the original. The trailer doesn't look particularly good (the 'kills' seem uninspired in the extreme) but you're deluding yourselves about this. :p

This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won.

does that trailer used the same soundtrack of the battlefield 3 trailers?

Mary Elizabeth Winstead needs to fine a better vehicle than this.

they turned The Thing into an action movie. what were they thinking?

there are many, many, many things wrong with this trailer and the direction it seems this films is going, most of which has already been mentioned in this thread, but i think where they have really slipped up, where they have truly and completely missed the point of making a film to tie in with the original film is that they have already shown far too much. there are many trailers that might spoil certain events in a film, but when i think of the thing, i think of the tension and mystery in not knowing who is actually trustworthy; who has been taken over, and who hasn't.

this trailer doesn't just show the film off as a jump-scare action/explosion fest of a film, it shows off way too much. we now know who from the team is going to be either a) dragged away and mauled and b) turns. sure, there are equally as many people we don't know the fate of, but everytime i sit down to watch the thing i really wish i was watching it with fresh eyes and a blank mind every time, just so that i could relive the gripping unknown fear of where the next slithering and oozing creature is going to burst from. hell, the bench scene still gets me to this day - how tense is that scene, seriously? shit is done ****ing right, but we aren't going to get that with this. i know the CGI twitching face man is going to... well, have a CGI twitching face at some point; i know whoever the guy who gets dragged away is going to... err, get dragged away; the blonde dude is going to eventually end up on his back spasming in pain, likely turning into a thing or having just been mauled by one.

this trailer has basically missed the entire point of the thing, and not just by adding in loads of shit it doesn't need like a tractor going through a hole in the ice. that shit is just bad in itself, but to me it's not even as close as spoiling - no, ruining - the characters fates.

bah.

Welp. That's gay. If you've got more would you care to post them, or at least pm them to people?

Mary Elizabeth can't act for shit.

I thought she was good. Her voice quavers just a little bit when she says, "Not all of us are human", and I was all, "Nice touch".

Having no strong attachment to the original remake, this look pretty entertaining and solid, aside from the instances of bad CG and writing. Which, to be fair, is most of them. I guess what I'm trying to say is, Mary Elizabeth is attractive.

All the youtube comments saying that the creature design reminds them of Dead Space made me facepalm.

**** you you ****ing piece of ****ing ****s i ****ing hate your ****ing goddamn faces

seriously F*CK

EXPLODING out of the ice. Really, EXPLODING, like a goddamn Transformer Brawl in a Michael Bay film. SWEET.

THINGS

This time it's war!

/trailer guy voice

But in the end, who's fault is that really? Is it the little kiddies fault who have never seen the original?

Yes, it is.

And the fault of the guys that made Dead Space, completely ripping off the Thing idea.

i said it earlier in the thread and i'll say it again - what's the point in seeing this film when the trailer reveals who gets viciously torn apart and, subsequently/presumably, will later turn into a ''thing''? all of the tension and mystery is now removed, and i will sit through this film knowing full well what to expect around every turn, which is not how i felt watching the john carpenter film. on the contrary, there are still some parts of the JC the thing that catch me unaware or still manage to surprise me, it's just that timeless a film.

i think that is basically a reiteration of the post i made on the other page but whatever, **** this film.

edit: on the flipside to this, the talk of dead space does actually make sense as... yeah, it looks very visceral, grotesque and to be a corridor-crawl of horrors made entirely just to kill off a large amount of people in a gory fashion, so in that sense i can actually seeing it being quite entertaining, just like all of the scenes in the dead space games where you happen across some hopeless scientist/soldier/engineer/civilian trapped behind glass in a room with a stalker. to reference a more fitting example in theme with the forum, all those times we half-life players stopped to watch those scientists helping each other into an air vent in the first level get torn to ribbons. that might of been blue shift actually, but whatever. the problem is, it's under the title of the thing, and the the thing i know and love is... well, yes, it is people getting torn up, but there was a suspense to it; an atmosphere, a unnerving dread that chokes you in the claustrophobia of the tight confines of the small environment the entire film is set around.

i could live with this if it was, as ZT said, dead space (on ice)

yet you paid for a ticket

As I was driving back home my friend asked me, "What do you think that Barnz guy will say on the forums?" and I said "Probably, 'Um, i know the devs' "

anyway, looking forward to seeing this travesty of film whenever it gets released in the uk. had a good long bitch about it with some pals today, good times.

Just curious, what was the 3 second scene?

Oh yeah, that does sound pretty cool.

Back