New WIP - Beretta Storm

Eat Fresh

Reaction score
Had some freetime today and whipped this up. Still have a bit to do on the moving parts, sights and a few other places, not to mention the shading is pretty screwy ing a few spots, but I fixed it in all the spots I care about. Let me know what you think. First shot is in Softimage, second is the refernce picture I used.

Jared

Attachments

• Storm WIP.JPG
    Storm WIP.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 437
  • Beretta Storma.JPG
    Beretta Storma.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 369
If youre pretty new to modeling that is not a good gun to start out with.

Really looks like you have gone about modeling this weapon the wrong way, i would sugest looking through the tutorals that come with max and sign up to www.3dbuzz.com and donwload all the free video tutorials they have there!

Tell me what's the wrong way about it, I'm at school and cant play with the tuorials right now. I know a lot of the obvious stuff like no meshsmooth and such, but I though it looked pretty good with a fairly low polycount (about 1000 tri) and bumpmapping could take care of all the smaller details...

You can ram alot more detail than that in there with 1000 polygons. Also, why is the entire thing smoothed? Looks weird.

Eat Fresh said:
Tell me what's the wrong way about it, I'm at school and cant play with the tuorials right now. I know a lot of the obvious stuff like no meshsmooth and such, but I though it looked pretty good with a fairly low polycount (about 1000 tri) and bumpmapping could take care of all the smaller details...

no, its just litrally totally modelled in the wrong way. The method you used is not in any way related to the way you should or would find best. There no point explaining it because its pointless when your 99.9% wrong :D or should I say incurate....

IchI said:
no, its just litrally totally modelled in the wrong way. The method you used is not in any way related to the way you should or would find best. There no point explaining it because its pointless when your 99.9% wrong :D or should I say incurate....

Ouch..

Ichi you logic seem to fail mine every time.... why no reason in not explaining it to him because he's wrong? ... that's like telling a child that has just stolen something, that's wrong, but I wont explain to you why!...

But Eat, check out www.3dbuzz.com as mentioned above.. It will really help you improve..... And I'll explain the reason why your method is "wrong".

The problem is that you made somthing like a cube and then cut out shaped from that, which is not so good :D

Instead you should start from and end.. for example, the handle, and then shape it up, and then extrude a polygon and then shape that as the body and so on.

Nostradamus said:
Ichi you logic seem to fail mine every time.... why no reason in not explaining it to him because he's wrong? ... that's like telling a child that has just stolen something, that's wrong, but I wont explain to you why!...

But Eat, check out www.3dbuzz.com as mentioned above.. It will really help you improve..... And I'll explain the reason why your method is "wrong".

The problem is that you made somthing like a cube and then cut out shaped from that, which is not so good :D

Instead you should start from and end.. for example, the handle, and then shape it up, and then extrude a polygon and then shape that as the body and so on.

Actually I didn't. I made the bulk of the model out of a plane with many, many verts. Then I extruded it and symmetrized it. I must just be really good at making it look like I did it wrong or something.

It was not made using box modeling. foes 1000 tris (500 "polys" as 3dsmax uses them) seem like too much for what I have so far, or what?

socK said:
You can ram alot more detail than that in there with 1000 polygons. Also, why is the entire thing smoothed? Looks weird.

Thats softimage... it's default right now... I'll see if I can turn it off or something

When did there become a law against box modeling something? The last few days people have been getting ripped because it wasn't done Ichi's way or doesn't meet the standards of the Ichi Fanclub.

If there's something wrong with it tell him what it is and if you know anything about modeling tell him how he can possiblly fix it.

And check your PM's Eat.

The taper of the fore grip doesn't look right.... maybe it's just the angle of the model.

You should post the lowpoly wire here too. And extruding an outlined plane is not really a good idea. You should model it part by part and put it together.

No its not.... You can't steal something in a correct way and steal something in a wrong way. Nor woulkd a parent ever say to a child how to steal correctly because they are wrong in the first place.

Ichi:
Ok I'm not talking about the manner in which he stole it which is wrong, but in the way in which he is wrong BY stealing it.... two different things.

Eat Fresh said:
Actually I didn't. I made the bulk of the model out of a plane with many, many verts. Then I extruded it and symmetrized it. I must just be really good at making it look like I did it wrong or something.

It was not made using box modeling. foes 1000 tris (500 "polys" as 3dsmax uses them) seem like too much for what I have so far, or what?

Then I am sorry I am wrong, but it certainly looks like it :D

Nostradamus said:
Ichi:
Ok I'm not talking about the manner in which he stole it which is wrong, but in the way in which he is wrong BY stealing it.... two different things.

Stealing corisponds to modelling. If he wasn't stealing he wouldn't be modelling at all. If you compare modelling been wrong to stealing (which is kinda stupid anyway)

The only way I can think of how you could ever make sense of explaining it with stealing would be.

Modelling Correctly
Stealing food from a store to feed your family.

Modelling Incorrectly
Stealing for fun and to piss people off

Oh, please... stop it! Don't take over his thread with a discussion like that. Now, I'm still waiting for that wireframe so we can point out what is "wrong" or not :)
I agree, the model looks a bit off and I also like edgemodeling more than boxmodeling or extrudeplanemodeling (this word doesn't really exist... :) ) Let's keep this ontopic, shall we?

I agree with IchI, the model just looks wrong, but that may be due to the fact that its smoothed out wrongly. In XSI, just select all the edges, go in Modify->Component->Mark Hard Edge/Vertex. This will make all your edges 'hard' and therefore no smoothing will be applied on them. Then post a shaded view again, and we'll see if its wrong =). You can also post a wireframe.

desty

desty said:
I agree with IchI, the model just looks wrong, but that may be due to the fact that its smoothed out wrongly. In XSI, just select all the edges, go in Modify->Component->Mark Hard Edge/Vertex. This will make all your edges 'hard' and therefore no smoothing will be applied on them. Then post a shaded view again, and we'll see if its wrong =). You can also post a wireframe.

desty

OK, I'll do that next time I'm on my home PC (monday night) I watched the tutorials... I was doing things kinda "wrong" and wasting a lot of polys for nothing... but in the end it still looked box modeled because I had done little with the depth cues... I'm going to restart the model anyway though.

In the meantime I'm going to redo my old colt 45... ichi's way does get prettier results with less polys but it takes really long in softimage - where with a really complex model any extrusion or vertex additions take like 30 seconds. Kinda annoying.

Jared

In the meantime I'm going to redo my old colt 45... ichi's way does get prettier results with less polys but it takes really long in softimage - where with a really complex model any extrusion or vertex additions take like 30 seconds. Kinda annoying.

Freeze your model

softmonkey said:
Freeze your model

Yea, the reason for it slowing down is that, unlike 3ds max, XSI remembers every single thing you do in sub-object mod, like moving vertices, extruding etc... If you don't want that, Switch to immediate mod, by clicking the Immed button, lower right, or Freeze, to delete the current history.

desty

Ichi's way is basically standard in the modeling community for weapon mods or other things that are square or rigid like most guns are.

You can alter the method a little and use a box to start other than a plane but I find that the plane method is a little easier.

I've tried box modeling for a C&C mod but it was simply more difficult than starting at one end of the weapon and tracing its shape.

I'd recommend Ichis method as described in his tutorial or a similar method in www.3dbuzz.com

www.3dbuzz.com goes through all the steps for weapon modeling, animating, integrating, coding and skinning for UT. I'm sure HL2 has a similar process.

Back