Next gen DS

Sounds pretty good from that. I imagine getting the right spot with the distance will become easy after an hour. The fact that there's a slider to adjust it will help immeasurably I imagine.

Everyone foams at the mouth over this retarded 3D craze. Its a stupid gimmick that will just die again soon, just like it has every 6-8 years since the 40s.

Totally agreed. We had 3D glasses in the past decades, we had VR helmets in past years. This is not new stuff, from a gameplay point of view.

Looks pretty sweet. Although I'd like to see some new games that I already haven't seen on NES...

Everyone foams at the mouth over this retarded 3D craze. Its a stupid gimmick that will just die again soon, just like it has every 6-8 years since the 40s.

Call me when it improves gameplay.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Hey, Krynn, call me when the PS3 cell processor improves gameplay. :rolleyes:

And when was the last time we had 3D? The Virtual Boy, in 1996?

stennisscreenshot.png

As far as technology goes, 1996 was an eternity ago, when Super Nintendo had cutting edge graphics.

220pxsupermarioworldmap.png

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Hey, Krynn, call me when the PS3 cell processor improves gameplay. :rolleyes

What?

WHAT? Are you seriously implying that the cell processor hasn't provided capabilities for more unique gameplay? And that a purely visual, uninteractive thing like 3D will?

Also, Nvidia had a 3D thing where you needed glasses not too long ago.

A remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater? **** yes.

What?

WHAT? Are you seriously implying that the cell processor hasn't provided capabilities for more unique gameplay? And that a purely visual, uninteractive thing like 3D will?
The difference that the increased processing power provided between the PS2 and PS3 were also purely visual enhancements.

Did playing Gran Tourismo on the PS2 in Standard Definition, or on the PS3 in High Definition make any difference for more unique gameplay?
Also, Nvidia had a 3D thing where you needed glasses not too long ago.
Yeah I know, it's fairly new, I think. Point is that 3D works. It's an optical illusion of depth, and many people love it, it's just that technology hasn't really been capable of delivering it in video games until recently. There is always going to be room for improvement. But this has been the case for every video game technology advancement to date.

Next could be virtual reality where you can barely tell the difference between the computer rendering and real life. At least in some aspects.

I don't understand how you could not like more depth to the graphics. I can understand not liking how it is implemented with current technology (like the cross-eyed complaints), but to not think 3D can enhance the gameplay experience and immersion? That's just crazy.

EDIT: And the problems with 3D never taking off depend mostly on problems with getting the project off the ground... For example, Nvidia's new 3D tech requires:

PC
High end Nvidia card
special 3D glasses (not just some cardboard and cellophane crap)
120 Hz Monitor (purpose built for 3D)
Developer support/3D games

In other words, it doesn't really have a chance.

But with the 3DS:

Nintendo is the number one video game company in the world (money and clout to make it work)
the DS line is stupidly successful
the technology can be had for a relatively inexpensive price
the technology only requires the 3DS
Nintendo (with it's world leading intellectual property), and 3rd party developers are on board to make games.

It's in the bag. And a lot of people are just curious you know, want to try the latest gadget.

According to Miyamoto, the 3D is so deep it will allow you to tell at a glance whether Mario is standing under a block or not. This has never been possible in games before without the use of a block shadow on the floor.

An inventive developer will be able to make the 3D affect gameplay.

There will definitely be gimmicky games, but there is potential for greatness.

Just like when cinematography was first created, many certainly called it a gimmick.

I kid you not, people would pay a great deal of money to see a few seconds of a film - someone sneezing, because it was animated photographs for the first time.

thomasedison.jpg

Good god that must have been awkward for those models. I mean, booth babe is bad enough, but booth? They're being paid to stand there while the 3DS is attached to their belt. THEY'RE A ****ING BOOTH. :(

Looks good though, graphically that is. The wider screen has grown on me a bit, but I still don't like the idea that the bottom screen might not be used as much. I mean, the top screen is where the magic is happening, so you're not going to want to take your eyes off of it anyway... but then what's the point of it being dual? Seems kind of weird to me.

Edit: Actually, that's gonna make it kind of difficult for games like Picross where you need to actually see what you're touching. What would they stick on the top screen in that case? A 3D score display? Whoopee.

Looks good though, graphically that is. The wider screen has grown on me a bit, but I still don't like the idea that the bottom screen might not be used as much. I mean, the top screen is where the magic is happening, so you're not going to want to take your eyes off of it anyway... but then what's the point of it being dual? Seems kind of weird to me.
Um.. Couldn't you have said the same thing about the original DS? In almost all DS games, one of the screens is usually the 'main' one, with the other being informational or something not as important, but still useful. This is nothing new.

Edit: Actually, that's gonna make it kind of difficult for games like Picross where you need to actually see what you're touching. What would they stick on the top screen in that case? A 3D score display? Whoopee.

Who said Picross was even coming to it? How would that game even be 3D? Unless you're talking about 3D Picross.

Touching the 3d screen directly would be awkward anyway, because you're looking into the depth of hte 3d screen but then you've got your fatty hands and stylus in the foreground in IRL, which would probably throw you off and annoy you.

Who cares about the next zelda dude, ocarina of time is going portable.

1276659917486.png

1276659502860.jpg

It's going to look beautiful on that tiny screen :)

The difference that the increased processing power provided between the PS2 and PS3 were also purely visual enhancements.

I've said this before, but you really have no ****ing idea what you're talking about when it comes to this sort of thing. If you think the cell processor didn't open up new venues for gameplay over the ps2's shitty processor, then I'm not even going to argue further with you because it'd be like arguing with a wall. A very stupid wall.

But I'd be interested in this for PORTABLE OCARINA OF TIME

It's got a pretty impressive lineup:

Ocarina of Time Remake
cubic ninja
Etrian Odyssey
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS
SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D Edition
Asphalt GT
Bomberman franchise
Contra franchise
METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Dragon Ball franchise
Gundam franchise
RIDGE RACER
Super Robot franchise
Animal Crossing
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
PilotWings Resort
Star Fox 64 3D
Steel Diver
VS-robo
Sonic
Super Monkey Ball
DRAGON QUEST franchise
FINAL FANTASY franchise
KINGDOM HEARTS franchise
DEAD OR ALIVE 3D
DYNASTY WARRIORS
NINJA GAIDEN
SAMURAI WARRIORS 3D
de Blob 2
Saints Row: Drive-By
Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy
Driver Renegade
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

I feel so out of the loop with this 3d hype. The last thing I saw in 3d was over 10 years ago and it gave me such a headache I had to take off the glasses. I take it we've improved since then, and I'm sure there's the potential for some cool mechanics, but I don't feel any excitement towards such gimmicks. If I really need 3d, I'll stop playing the game and look around me.

I feel so out of the loop with this 3d hype. The last thing I saw in 3d was over 10 years ago and it gave me such a headache I had to take off the glasses. I take it we've improved since then, and I'm sure there's the potential for some cool mechanics, but I don't feel any excitement towards such gimmicks. If I really need 3d, I'll stop playing the game and look around me.

I saw Up in 3D, and it was kinda cool, but I don't think it was anything to get excited over. People were saying that the 3D version was so much better, but really, I think I would have liked the movie the same if it were just in 2D. It was nice for that brief experience (just like every gimmick) but it didnt make anything any better. And yeah, there were times where I just took off the glasses because it was irritating.

If 3D can make the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life bearable to sit through, then I don't see how it can make a game I enjoy worse. I don't see how added depth of field is a bad thing in a visual medium. It seems like a no-brainer to me. It doesn't have to revolutionize gameplay to be effective. Instead of pretending I can see the future though, I'll just wait to play a 3DS when it's on display at a store and decide for myself if I want one. I use my DS "brick" more than any other game systems combined.

I've said this before, but I really have no ****ing idea what I'm talking about when it comes to this sort of thing.
Can you even name one game where the Cell processor enabled some kind of "unique gameplay experience" that couldn't have been done on the PS2?

Isn't the cell processor responsible for PS3's ability to do advanced physics? I'd say that's directly influential of gameplay, if used right.

I've always found that 3D ruins immersion in otherwise great movies and I would imagine it would be even worse for games. Yeah, there's the occasional movie where it's excellent and doesn't ruin it at all, but it enhances it so little I think it's a rather stupid risk.

Isn't the cell processor responsible for PS3's ability to do advanced physics? I'd say that's directly influential of gameplay, if used right.
The PS2 was certainly capable of physics to a lesser degree. Gran Tourismo used physics for driving vehicles.
GPU based particle physics simulations in MX Unleashed
Splashdown: near optimal rendering microcodes on PS2 for characters and objects. Rendering of 10000 particles with physics in real-time.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mmchow/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08e_l9CWX0

Because 3D hasn't shown to "improve gameplay" (despite only having seen seconds of a 3D demo), it is undesirable. That's what he implied.

If that was the case, nobody would have bought HD displays and shit. HD graphics never improved gameplay, but it's arguably the biggest visual enhancement to become mainstream in decades.

3D doesn't have to improve gameplay to be a desirable capability of a game system. And hey, if you don't like it, you can reduce it or even turn it off completely.

I personally think 3D is extremely cool and exciting. No, it doesn't make a bad game good, just like High Definition didn't.

The PS2 was certainly capable of physics to a lesser degree. Gran Tourismo used physics for driving vehicles.

Um... So does every driving game? That's not exactly advanced physics.

Things like water physics, like the upcoming Portal 2 will use. That's 100% gameplay made possible by a powerful system.

Um... So does every driving game? That's not exactly advanced physics.

Things like water physics, like the upcoming Portal 2 will use. That's 100% gameplay made possible by a powerful system.

Um... how can you have not seen where I included water physics? I posted a video of it. Jesus Christ, it's a computer. It can do the same things the PS3 can do, but in lesser quality.

Little Big Planet.
What are you talking about? You don't think a stupid platform game could run on PS2? You might have to run in low resolution and have less textures and animation frames but what does that have to do with a "unique gameplay experience"? Improved, not unique.

3D is here to stay. Learn to like it. Resistance is futile.

If I really need 3d, I'll stop playing the game and look around me.
What a bewildering statement from an artist who works on 3D games. If you were blind in one eye, you'd see how wonderful binocular depth perception is.

What are you talking about? You don't think a stupid platform game could run on PS2? You might have to run in low resolution and have less textures and animation frames but what does that have to do with a "unique gameplay experience"? Improved, not unique.

Have you ever played LBP? Theres much more calculation going on than any other platformer I have ever seen. And it would not run any better with lower resolutions or animations because those are handled by the GPU, not the processor which does the ridiculous amounts of calculations LBP requires.

3D is here to stay. Learn to like it. Resistance is futile.

I've heard that before. Several times in fact, and each time it goes away. So sue me if I am skeptical.

What a bewildering statement from an artist who works on 3D games. If you were blind in one eye, you'd see how wonderful binocular depth perception is.

This is a nonsense argument. I work on 3D games as well, in case you forgot.

I've heard that before. Several times in fact, and each time it goes away. So sue me if I am skeptical.
It never left in the first place, it's just that it sucked in 1960, 70, etc. (your reference).

Sony and Nintendo are pushing 3D full force, and Nvidia has launched as well. Believe it, it's not going anywhere.

Microsoft doesn't have to pave the way here, they'll let Sony do it with 3D capable monitors and televisions.

This is a nonsense argument. I work on 3D games as well, in case you forgot.
So? Why don't you go work with sprites then, 3D is just some new fad for dumb people with 2 eyes.

Moving on.

When I first saw Virtua Fighter in the arcades, it was the first time I saw pseudo 3D graphics.

ghMCA.jpg

Yeah, it looked pretty slick, but it was "just a gimmick". I went back to playing Street Fighter. Oh, look - Street Fighter is 3D now. That says it all.

And "Street Fighter 4 3D" has been announced for the 3DS, even.

Um.. Couldn't you have said the same thing about the original DS? In almost all DS games, one of the screens is usually the 'main' one, with the other being informational or something not as important, but still useful. This is nothing new.
Bunch of games had the graphics "flow" between the screens (like a dual monitor setup), or included things like opening menus switching the top display to the bottom or vice versa. I'll admit not all of this was crucial, but in many cases having a continuous display was a big part of why it was dual in the first place. In any case, I'm not arguing that one screen shouldn't be the focus, I'm saying that it's almost certainly going to be the top screen in most games now.

Who said Picross was even coming to it? How would that game even be 3D? Unless you're talking about 3D Picross.

Touching the 3d screen directly would be awkward anyway, because you're looking into the depth of hte 3d screen but then you've got your fatty hands and stylus in the foreground in IRL, which would probably throw you off and annoy you.
I never said Picross was coming to it (even though it totally will), I said games like Picross. Let me put this in a less cryptic way: pretty much every puzzle game that had some kind of stylus gimmick on the DS. Seriously, just think about how many games involved actually touching objects on the bottom screen - how are they going to manage those on the 3DS without basically ignoring the top screen? More than that, what will the stylus even be used for now beyond menu selection, and maybe moving the camera around in first/third person action games? With all the action focused on the top screen, it makes it kind of a limiting factor for games which used the stylus to interact with things a lot. This isn't just limited to puzzle games either - anything resembling an RTS where you touch to move units, any top-down games where you touched the screen to move your character and interact with objects (like the Zelda games on DS). I'm not saying these games will be impossible or that no one will make them any more, but they won't be nearly as impressive if they don't use the top screen in some major way, so it's not a stretch to think that developers might start to shy away from them.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting touching the 3D screen, I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just presenting a problem with this setup as compared to the original DS. And hey, if games do take a different direction with the 3DS and utilize the top screen more than touch functions, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Just saying a lot of the types of games people enjoyed on the original DS are probably going to be a bit less practical with this shift in focus.

You can be skeptical, but I believe what we saw with the iPod and iPad are nothing compared to the way the 3DS will be flying off store shelves. It will be nothing short of astounding.

And what is the story behind the success of the iPod, iPad, and DS? Touch screen. Technology that has been here since the 1970s. But advances in Touch Screen technology and computer processing power have taken it to an incredible level. This is like you saying Touch Screen is a stupid fad that will disappear.

Also, this is the first time we have 3D graphics without needing special glasses. And older 3D technology had very poor color reproduction because of the colored lenses.

I think "true" 3D graphics are the natural evolution of computer graphics. Next will be major advances in virtual reality that really got a jolt with the Wii, Kinect, and Move. Finally (hopefully before I'm dead), true 3D virtual reality holographic graphics in true color. And after that? Hmmm, the ability to physically touch the holograms and have an effect on what happens.

Krynn72, isn't LBP available for the PSP these days?

And what is the story behind the success of the iPod, iPad, and DS? Touch screen. Technology that has been here since the 1970s. But advances in Touch Screen technology and computer processing power have taken it to an incredible level. This is like you saying Touch Screen is a stupid fad that will disappear.

The touch screen has practical uses. Its not purely a visual gimmick like this. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

I really doubt this will be 'flying off the shelves' like you say. Especially not on the level of the ipod.

I think people are going to eventually just find it annoying due to how exact you need to keep the distance between yourself and the DS. And then it will disappear just like always. Its still going to be too much of a hassle. And still not change gameplay at all.

I'll compare whatever I want to anything, boy.

Touch screen isn't nearly as much of a crowd puller as 3D, yet touch screen has shown to be phenomenally successful. Touch screen is a gimmick. It's not necessary at all.

3D hasn't had the opportunity as much when it comes to modern entertainment, but even non-interactive entertainment like "Avatar" for example, proves that it can move sales in record numbers.

Touch screen is NOT a gimmick, because it can and has been used for unique gameplay not possible without it. God you're thick sometimes.

I really doubt this will be 'flying off the shelves' like you say. Especially not on the level of the ipod.

I think people are going to eventually just find it annoying due to how exact you need to keep the distance between yourself and the DS. And then it will disappear just like always. Its still going to be too much of a hassle. And still not change gameplay at all.

Iwata said:
"When we first launched the DS and the Wii, very few people thought that we would have the success that we have had so far. Because of that, Nintendo had no choice but to try to create that market for those two platforms ourselves."

Well, I saw it coming.

Never doubt Nintendo. I was an early adopter of the original GameBoy. Holy **** did that piece of shit device develop a stir. Now add powerful 3D graphics, touch screen, 3D, 3D movie compatibility, (2) color LCD panels, analog control, and compatibility for all previous handheld games except the GameBoy line, and you've got a device that will sell better than water.

"So when that time comes (for us to release a new platform) and we are able to garner third-party support coupled with our own properties, we will be able to create a very healthy environment for that platform."

1st party support, in the bag.
According to consultants NPD, six of the top 10 games sold last year in the United States were for the Wii, and all were developed by Nintendo

3rd party support in the bag. Over 20 developers signed on to develop for the 3DS, including huge names like Konami and Capcom. The chance of this fizzling out is none.

Touch screen is NOT a gimmick, because it can and has been used for unique gameplay not possible without it. God you're thick sometimes.

So can the Kinect, Krynn. Which is a ****ing gimmick. God, you're dense sometimes. :)

Back