Obama answers your questions on Reddit

If this is real (hell, probably if it isn't real too) Reddit is going to have to buy more servers.

A bunch of lame Jay Carney handpicked answers? I think I'll pass. Also on the 'online petition' site if a question they don't like to answer makes enough signatures they simply ignore it. Typical.

You know, I'm beginning to think RakTenj doesn't like President Obama. I don't know where I'm getting that from, it's just sort of a hunch...maybe something subtle he said one time, I don't know...

I think this is kind of cute. Although I can't entirely convince myself that it's really Obama at the keyboard, and not just the real life equivalents of Sam Seaborn and Toby Ziegler.

If you check out the AMA on reddit it's exactly like I stated. Many of the highest upvoted posts were ignored because they posed questions that they'd prefer not answer during the election cycle. Of course the reddit hivemind ate it up.

The fact that he said this:
By the way, if you want to know what I think about this whole reddit experience - NOT BAD!
Then linked to this.

You can't say he's hugely out of touch with society like I can about the 5-Star Turd in charge of my homeland.

5OyXJ.jpg

If you check out the AMA on reddit it's exactly like I stated. Many of the highest upvoted posts were ignored because they posed questions that they'd prefer not answer during the election cycle. Of course the reddit hivemind ate it up.

so if Romney or whatever fascist du jour you're currently following made an appearance on reddit you'd expect them to answer the tough questions? it's just the coloured guy who refuses to answer everything pushed at him. no public figure has ever cherry picked questions they'd like to answer when in a public forum. it's unheard of.

so if Romney or whatever fascist du jour you're currently following made an appearance on reddit you'd expect them to answer the tough questions? it's just the coloured guy who refuses to answer everything pushed at him. no public figure has ever cherry picked questions they'd like to answer when in a public forum. it's unheard of.
The colored guy? What is this 1945? No, I think Romney posting an AMA would be the same. Except I expect the hivemind of reddit wouldn't be nutting their pants as much as posting attacks more. Just because I think Obama is a terrible President does not mean I think Romney is a great candidate. I'd definitely prefer him over Obama, but I do not want him either- my criticism of gvt flaws won't end when he's elected.

RakuraiTemjin said:
Except I expect the hivemind of reddit wouldn't be nutting their pants as much as posting attacks more

which wouldnt be surprising as he represents the party most closely aligned with the lunatic fringe. people tend to be critical of crazy.

From an outside perspective (not living in the US) I genuinely can't see why anybody with a brain would prefer Mitt Romney over Obama. No elected representative of a country is ever without criticism but Goddamn, Romney? F*cking Mitt Romney?

He answered like 4 questions because the servers kaboomed...

And anyone who expected this to be more than answering a few of the already-expected questions in the normal political campaigning mode is pretty delusional.

so if Romney or whatever fascist du jour you're currently following made an appearance on reddit you'd expect them to answer the tough questions?
You're confusing ideal and de-facto expectations. Of course nobody expects Obama to answer the tough questions - in the context of no leader ever really taking the opportunity to do that. But we want them to answer the tough questions, because they're supposed to. To do anything else is pandering and PR, which is exactly what this AMA amounts to.

or they could just be mindfull of where they are and dont want to feed the trolls? it's not a political debate where they stand to gain or lose position in popularity polls. it's a forum where pretty much any misstep in what he says (or doesnt say) could be used to hang him in effigy

How is that different from any other interaction with the general public? Everything he ever says is going to be spun by someone. If he refuses to answer tough questions, he's doing an advertisement for himself. I'm not giving him a free pass on feel-good bullshit just because he's black. I'd treat Romney and Paul and Johnson the exact same way if they did an AMA in the same manner.

How is that different from any other interaction with the general public?

the president doesnt make many public appearances for a free for all quetion and answer period. Uusally it's "meet the press" which is code for "we answer hand picked questions posed by the media that we allowed to be at the event"

Everything he ever says is going to be spun by someone. If he refuses to answer tough questions, he's doing an advertisement for himself.

on reddit? they save that for the presidential televised debates when their opponents will bring out the big guns. not answerign questions posed by reddit trolls isnt the same thing.

I'm not giving him a free pass on feel-good bullshit just because he's black. I'd treat Romney and Paul and Johnson the exact same way if they did an AMA in the same manner.

ya but you probably wouldnt mention that they wouldnt get the same treatment as Obama because they're white. this has nothing to do with colour

Or if you check it in chronological order you'll note that the answers answered were the first ones there until the site exploded about 30 minutes in

Or if you check it in chronological order you'll note that the answers answered were the first ones there until the site exploded about 30 minutes in
oh really?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian...rs_a_planted_question_in_his_ama_by_a/c61fshg
"reddit user does the math and finds one of obama's softballs was made by a user that wrote a paragraph in 6 seconds, and is a former DOJ intern"

text from the URL:
  • Profile created minutes after the AMA was announced, and literally six seconds before asking a well written, paragraph long question (approximate typing speed assuming it was typed after creating the account? 1570 wpm)
  • Created a profile 5 minutes 39 seconds after the AMA going live, when servers were having a fit.
  • Asked question explicitly requesting ways to recruit the youth that Obama relied on last election (many of whom are disillusioned with him, for all the reasons she presents herself as being subject to)
  • Is literally only 1 of 10 questions answered.
  • asked by one hmlee who (according to some internet detective work):
    • has only one comment in her history, total
    • Posted a blog entry supporting Obama
    • lists herself as working/having worked as an intern at the Department of Justice
So, is it possible that she heard about it on her own, created an account, and typed up an eloquent question that is a PR man's wet dream all within less than 6 minutes? Yes, it's possible. It's just not particularly likely

Yes, it's possible. It's just not particularly likely

Cool. Witch hunting one question that could have an explanation other than that it was staged. This obviously means Obama is a terrible choice for re-election.

From an outside perspective (not living in the US) I genuinely can't see why anybody with a brain would prefer Mitt Romney over Obama. No elected representative of a country is ever without criticism but Goddamn, Romney? F*cking Mitt Romney?
Romney/Ryan supports school choice and will be pushing major education reform the next 4 years. Why should a student be forced to attend a terrible, failing school simply because of their zip code? In the US if you live in a bad area, you will have to go to the really bad schools located in your neighborhood. That is discrimination itself. Obama and the Democrat party are against school choice and vouchers for students. They are against it because the teachers union is against it and they donate massive amounts of money to Obama/Dems. The teachers union is against it not because of concern for students well being, but because they dont want any of their staff to be let go if another better school takes their students (they want students to be forced to attend where they work, even if their school is failing.) Under the current system, you must attend where told or you can pay for a private school.

They also push Medicare reform which Obama is deadset against. Medicare & medicaid need to be completely revamped and fixed. These programs will not be available to our generation if we don't completely restructure them, but Obama and the Democrats refuse to allow these entitlements to be restructured at all. They claim it's "ending medicare as we know it' but it's really a restructuring and voucher program. The same goes for Social Security payments as well.

Obama has been a strident foe of domestic energy development, the Romney Ryan plans wants to develop into maturity our coal, oil, nuclear, solar, wind, and geothermal resources with a plan to end us being energy dependent on OPEC and Canada.

Romney/Ryan added internet freedom and an anti-domestic drone usage to the Republican platform recently as well.

Issues like these domestic ones are why you don't understand from a foreign perspective.

Now there are plenty of reasons I don't like Romney/Ryan, mainly Constitutional and social issues. Fiscally and money wise- we're mostly on the same page.

I doubt the media where you are reports much on these issues- they're domestic American issues.

I picked out some key parts.

They also push Medicare reform which Obama is deadset against. Medicare & medicaid need to be completely revamped and fixed. These programs will not be available to our generation if we don't completely restructure them, but Obama and the Democrats refuse to allow these entitlements to be restructured at all. They claim it's "ending medicare as we know it' but it's really a restructuring and voucher program. The same goes for Social Security payments as well.

Really? Obama is quoted as saying this about Medicare & Medicaid:
“As president, my goal has been to strengthen these programs now, and preserve them for future generations”

“Today’s seniors deserve that same peace of mind. And the millions of Americans who are working hard right now deserve to know that the care they need will be available when they need it.”

Also, this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/u...edicare-savings-plan.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Romney/Ryan added internet freedom and an anti-domestic drone usage to the Republican platform recently as well.
Internet Freedom was brought up in the Reddit AMA. Obama said:

"Internet freedom is something I know you all care passionately about; I do too. We will fight hard to make sure that the internet remains the open forum for everybody - from those who are expressing an idea to those to want to start a business. And although there will be occasional disagreements on the details of various legislative proposals, I won't stray from that principle - and it will be reflected in the platform."

I doubt the media where you are reports much on these issues- they're domestic American issues.
It's called the internet.

Issues like these domestic ones are why you don't understand from a foreign perspective.
Ye don't understayund cos ye aint frum roound these here parts, mmhmm.

Okay that last one was silly and OTT but still... There's 2 sides to every coin, yo.

Romney/Ryan supports school choice and will be pushing major education reform the next 4 years. Why should a student be forced to attend a terrible, failing school simply because of their zip code? In the US if you live in a bad area, you will have to go to the really bad schools located in your neighborhood.
Are you sure thats a federal thing? Here in CT there are a lot of kids from Hartford who go to neighboring schools because Hartford schools are shit. I know this because people complain all the time because it brings the school's grade point average down lol.

oh really?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian...rs_a_planted_question_in_his_ama_by_a/c61fshg
"reddit user does the math and finds one of obama's softballs was made by a user that wrote a paragraph in 6 seconds, and is a former DOJ intern"

text from the URL:
  • Profile created minutes after the AMA was announced, and literally six seconds before asking a well written, paragraph long question (approximate typing speed assuming it was typed after creating the account? 1570 wpm)
  • Created a profile 5 minutes 39 seconds after the AMA going live, when servers were having a fit.
  • Asked question explicitly requesting ways to recruit the youth that Obama relied on last election (many of whom are disillusioned with him, for all the reasons she presents herself as being subject to)
  • Is literally only 1 of 10 questions answered.
  • asked by one hmlee who (according to some internet detective work):
    • has only one comment in her history, total
    • Posted a blog entry supporting Obama
    • lists herself as working/having worked as an intern at the Department of Justice
So, is it possible that she heard about it on her own, created an account, and typed up an eloquent question that is a PR man's wet dream all within less than 6 minutes? Yes, it's possible. It's just not particularly likely

The AMA was announced ahead of time. She pre-wrote her question. She's been interviewed by a reporter, and she wasn't a plant.

I picked out some key parts.

Really? Obama is quoted as saying this about Medicare & Medicaid:
“As president, my goal has been to strengthen these programs now, and preserve them for future generations”
“Today’s seniors deserve that same peace of mind. And the millions of Americans who are working hard right now deserve to know that the care they need will be available when they need it.”

Also, this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/u...edicare-savings-plan.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
Okay? This is a generic quote that 99% of US Politicians will agree with. It's like saying "I'm for the USA being secure from invasion" well everyone else is too. What exactly is his plan to preserve those programs? He's fought every effort to reform them. A simple quote means nothing, voting record and what you push/reject legislation wise matters.

And Ryans plan to reform the programs with a voucher system fixes any issues caused by the repeal of Obamacare. Medicare MUST be fixed, it will run out by the time it's time for us to use it, well before we get to that age. Obama does not want it to be touched or reformed at all.

Internet Freedom was brought up in the Reddit AMA. Obama said:

"Internet freedom is something I know you all care passionately about; I do too. We will fight hard to make sure that the internet remains the open forum for everybody - from those who are expressing an idea to those to want to start a business. And although there will be occasional disagreements on the details of various legislative proposals, I won't stray from that principle - and it will be reflected in the platform."

"And although there will be occasional disagreements on the details of various legislative proposals"
Should be big and bold. The Democrats (Obama's party) are the party that push issues like mandatory national user ID's for internet use, etc.

Are you sure thats a federal thing? Here in CT there are a lot of kids from Hartford who go to neighboring schools because Hartford schools are shit. I know this because people complain all the time because it brings the school's grade point average down lol.
Some states have good voucher programs. For example Florida under Governor Jeb Bush and New Mexico under Governor Gary Johnson (current Liberatrian Presidential candidate.)

This is a generic quote that 99% of US Politicians will agree with.
Yeah, this is what pretty much every politician does. But fair enough if you really support a guy that went from pro-abortion to anti-abortion during the course of his campaign.

Yeah, this is what pretty much every politician does. But fair enough if you really support a guy that went from pro-abortion to anti-abortion during the course of his campaign.
I'm not a big fan of Romney like I said, but I align with more than I ever would with Obama. I align closest with Ron Paul or Gary Johnson. If abortion is the primary issue influencing someone this election cycle rather than fixing the economy and education system then they have their priorities really screwed up.

Back