Oh come on...actually why am I even surprised >_>

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
i don't mind, but then i wasn't expecting a 2010 release

people were expecting a 2010 release?

To assert that they stopped this trend for L4D2 without giving any reason as to why Valve would suddenly change their strategy reeks of hysteria and dumb pessimism.

There are no news. Valve's mouth is shut. There was no single bit of information about Ep3 in two years (and more). They told to wait for a teaser by the end of 2008. That teaser never arrived. Then, all of a sudden, L4D2 is out. One can speculate on this, and only Valve can dismiss the rumors.

The key to waiting on Valve that veteran fans have learned is to NOT wait.

If ep 3 ever comes out, great, but don't count on it.

There are no news. Valve's mouth is shut. There was no single bit of information about Ep3 in two years (and more). They told to wait for a teaser by the end of 2008. That teaser never arrived. Then, all of a sudden, L4D2 is out. One can speculate on this, and only Valve can dismiss the rumors.

valve have stated more than a few times that they have individual teams working on different projects at the same time.

Again? -.-

Fine.
Valve have a long well-established history of concurrent game development. See: HL2/CS:S/DOD:S, Ep2/TF2/Portal
To assert that they stopped this trend for L4D2 without giving any reason as to why Valve would suddenly change their strategy reeks of hysteria and dumb pessimism.
Why are people so quick to forget that the turn-around on a Valve product is always twice as long as the rest of the industry (3D Realms notwithstanding), just because Left 4 Dead's sequel came out before your pubes turned grey.

At least with Valve the size of the resulting product is usually proportional to the time you spent waiting for it (because when they churn out something half-rubbish, they don't cut corners to make it better).

Perhaps Valve have finally learned not to bother with the early teasers since the majority of the content in them gets cut anyway and in no way represents the final game. The L4D2 speculation have being going on for ages and Valve keep dismissing them but some people are just to hard headed to to listen.

Maybe they are working on an additional, secret project along side Episode 3.
I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed another Orange Box type bundle pack in the coming months.

Hmm...Episode 3, Counter Strike 2 + "Secret Project"!?

Sigh. One can only dream.

You haven't suggested a reason as to why Valve would change their modus operandi.

valve have stated more than a few times that they have individual teams working on different projects at the same time.

OK. Let's put it this way: it's time for a screenshot. The fans deserve it.
I'm not holding my breath for Ep3, I only hope for an awesome game, because Ep1 and Ep2 weren't that great, in my humble opinion. Ep3 cannot be in that league.

You haven't suggested a reason as to why Valve would change their modus operandi.

I don't know. You have to ask them. By the way, the modus operandi has already changed, because Ep1 and Ep2 were developed in less time, with a different schedule and more feedback by Valve. They are making something big? Great! Just tell us something and stop this meaningless silence.

OK. Let's put it this way: it's time for a screenshot. Your fans deserve it.
I'm not holding my breath for Ep3, I only hope for an awesome game, because Ep1 and Ep2 weren't that great, in my humble opinion. Ep3 cannot be in that league.

i'm good for screenshots myself, i'm happy waiting.

i don't get your second part though - the development time for the next half-life is near about about to overtake the time between creating episode 1 and 2 put together, and it's for one title alone. i think it's going to be totally worth the wait, but fair enough.

I don't know. You have to ask them.

So you continue to believe this even though you can't come up with any reason as to why Valve would act in such a way?

So you continue to believe this even though you can't come up with any reason as to why Valve would act in such a way?

This conversation is not going anywhere. We can stop, I think :)

I've figured it out. Didn't Robin Walker fire everyone? So it's just him and the Greek intern Stavros Xanthis working on EP3 that's the reason it's taking so long.

This conversation is not going anywhere. We can stop, I think :)

Well if you're going to entirely abandon reason and logic regardless then I guess not.

Penguin's figured it out anyway.

Well if you're going to entirely abandon reason and logic regardless then I guess not.

I explained my reasons and my point of view in a very clear and logic way. We are speculating. Lack of information = speculation based on logical deductions.

It does seem to me to be about the time for Valve to blow us away with something. :p Remember 2003 when HL2 was first shown? That shit floored me like nothing else before or since.

Hell, who has even made or announced a game for the PC that surpasses the capability of those little consoles that have been out for years now? Nobody... my computer is three years old and still plays everything on the highest settings. Let's ****in' turn it up, man.

Wait, so you're saying they're working on episode 3 and halflife 3 at the same time? You crazy.

No , what I'm saying is that Valve , somewhere half way through the development process of Episode Three , has decided to incorporate it into Half-Life 3.Remember , the Episodes have been originally slated to be released by Christmas 2007 and they were obviously very hyped about it.And if you dwell on it as much as I did , you'll see that they have gone in a totally different direction with -- what I believe-- used to be Episode Three.

BUT

You are right about one thing.I really don't know that much about Valve and how they think - but I really feel that there is something different with Episode Three and that it will make balls explode like Hiroshima when gets released.

Sad if true. On the other hand I hope they update some of the resources for EP3. After the variety of infected in L4D it seems silly to back to identicle whiteshirt zombies. If Valve are so slow making it it's because they're carefully crafting each second of it, or they're having massive arguements over the direction and it won't get made until the company splits into two seperate teams, greatly dividing the talent :)

Do you not know? Its a free roaming RPG they are making :bounce:

It's probably been mentioned, but this magazine has no direct quote from Valve or any actual proof. Silly rubbish rumours, worth no value.

I can't believe stories like this escalate on a foundation of pure conjecture. What a waste of everyone's time. I'll wait for some proper news rather than publicity stunts by small time gaming press.

Do you not know? Its a free roaming RPG they are making :bounce:

If they made a Half Life in the vein of Stalker, with all the stuff Valve bring to the table - decent story, decent facial expressions, polished to **** - I would jizz. in. my. pants. Unworkable, I know, but still, my pants would be like full up with jizz.

If they made a Half Life in the vein of Stalker, with all the stuff Valve bring to the table - decent story, decent facial expressions, polished to **** - I would jizz. in. my. pants. Unworkable, I know, but still, my pants would be like full up with jizz.
By the time Valve finished that game, you'd probably be sterile.

Totally worth it. Plus hopefully my prostate would still be working so the aesthetics would still be the same! But yeah, you're completely right, imagine trying to apply Valve polish to stalker ;(

I'll wait for some proper news rather than publicity stunts by small time gaming press.

We are waiting for proper news since October 2007. Now, let's see what Valve has to say about these rumors.

Valve likely won't say shit because its not their job to stop idiots from spreading baseless rumors.

They aren't saying anything because they remember the crap they got spouted at them in the past when they didn't pull through with everything every screenshot offered. Unfortunately this is a flawed way of looking at things, in my opinion.

It's really like being in a long-distance relationship. The longer Valve waits to give it up, the more awesome it has to be to satisfy us. Ironically, Valve's silence is actually having the effect of talking them up.

The problem is that it's reaching the point where it has to be so awesome that it'll have to ship with a complementary set of replacement underpants.

Maybe they are working on an additional, secret project along side Episode 3.
I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed another Orange Box type bundle pack in the coming months.

Hmm...Episode 3, Counter Strike 2 + "Secret Project"!?

Sigh. One can only dream.

They are working on an rpg game.

It would be interesting, to say the least. They have the graphics, voice acting, story and animation down pat, but it's difficult to say how well they would work with an RPG template for gameplay.

Perhaps some form of FPS/RPG.

Considering a Half-Life 3 game, I got a little excited, though I cannot imagine it at all.

It just looks like HL2 in my vision, because that was perfect. So I guess like 9000x9000 textures and junk would do it, but I hope there is something groundbreaking in there.

Okay, I had to register just for this. And sorry in advance for any typos, I'm not a native English speaker.

I'm 100% sure Ep3 is being worked on and has been at least from the release of Ep2. There's probably a good reason why we haven't heard anything in two years, and my guess would be a major engine overhaul. If not an entirely new one. And didn't Gabe say something about this very thing when L4D2 was being shown at conventions last year? Source is starting to show it's age, and Ep3 would be a wonderful platform to test "Source2" and gather feedback before for example HL3 :)

I don't know if we're getting a game this year, but I bet there's at least some info coming pretty soon. Just my two cents.

Okay, I had to register just for this. And sorry in advance for any typos, I'm not a native English speaker.

I'm 100% sure Ep3 is being worked on and has been at least from the release of Ep2. There's probably a good reason why we haven't heard anything in two years, and my guess would be a major engine overhaul. If not an entirely new one. And didn't Gabe say something about this very thing when L4D2 was being shown at conventions last year? Source is starting to show it's age, and Ep3 would be a wonderful platform to test "Source2" and gather feedback before for example HL3 :)

I don't know if we're getting a game this year, but I bet there's at least some info coming pretty soon. Just my two cents.

Welcome, and ... what typos :)

Your optimism is refreshing. I think the main reason for the lack of any more Half-Life news has just been the diversion of resources to the other products Valve has been working on. I'm also sure that just like id software they're they have their own Next Great Thing, I just can't imagine they had that many people to work on it. Perhaps with possibly nearing the end of the TF2 update cycle and publishing of L4D2, they might start cranking out HL2 content? Who knows ...

Valve isn't going to release an entirely new engine, although Gabe's remarked that he wants the entire laundry list of features Valve's been throwing around put into the Source engine for Episode 3.

Although what do I know, last time Valve was working on a project for a really long time and stopped talking about it they DID come out with an entirely new engine.

dfhq4z.jpg

Back