Old games that wipe the floor with modern ones

Operation Flashpoint? You know? Probably the greatest war simulator ever made? I'm sure there are many people here who would back me on that.
Aye.

Operation Flashpoint was and still is in a class of its own among first person shooters. This game was capable of letting dozens of people play cooperatively with and/or against ten times as many AI (in practice, the only real limit was the power of the server), and this was a full year before Battlefield 1942 came along (and the 'large maps' in that game are only a fraction of the size of the huge island settings in Flashpoint). Meanwhile, the single player campaign was a feature in itself and the way you experience the conflict from multiple perspectives was quite compelling.

Consider that OFP was its developers first game and managed to succeed very well despite being a bit rough around the edges and despite having somewhat niche appeal in the first place, and it's all the more notable.

Operation Flashpoint? You know? Probably the greatest war simulator ever made? I'm sure there are many people here who would back me on that.

I got your back Shift.

OFP kicked ass. The editor kicked ass. Period.

-MRG

007: Goldeneye. Best multiplayer ever. Too bad the updated version got canceled. :(

007: Goldeneye. Best multiplayer ever. Too bad the updated version got canceled. :(

Perfect Dark XBLA is coming out in March, running at 1080p native, 60 FPS.

It will have the multiplayer maps and weapons from Goldeneye 007 available.:)

The Timesplitters series. Truly genius gameplay and story. I recently found the second and third one to replay again and they did not disappoint. Sadly I don't have a playstation 2 anymore so I cannot play the first again.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Lords of the Realm 2

OFP was amazing, it's just such a ****ing pain to update.

From what I've heard:

ArmA MP > OpF MP
ArmA SP < OpF SP

But we'll wait for Vegeta's response.

I can't really think of any glaring differences in the gameplay that would make the SP less enjoyable in ArmA. Unless you're talking purely content-wise, in which case OFP wins hands down because it's got way more campaigns both official and non, with more singleplayer mods that come with campaigns, like the viet nam and ww2 ones.

I can't really think of any glaring differences in the gameplay that would make the SP less enjoyable in ArmA. Unless you're talking purely content-wise, in which case OFP wins hands down because it's got way more campaigns both official and non, with more singleplayer mods that come with campaigns, like the viet nam and ww2 ones.
But, but, horrible buggy AI! Missions that randomly don't complete!

Word Muncher

Haha, I played Super Munchers a little bit a few years back. I was playing on the hardest level (5th grade?) -- the math ones were too easy but 5th Grade Animals is impossibly difficult. Maybe it's fine for elementary-school kids since they learn a lot of animals then, but I think they even asked things like "which of these animals are in this random genus?" It was insane. There were animals where I had no idea what the animal was, or even whether it was a mammal or reptile or bird. So if you ever want to feel really dumb, play the 5th grade animal category on Super Munchers.

But, but, horrible buggy AI! Missions that randomly don't complete!

I completed the Russian campaign in OFP. It was really great throughout. I don't remember any bugs.

Can't say the same for ArmA, about completing it. It just lost my interest.

But the "choose your path" thing was kind of neat.

I completed the Russian campaign in OFP. It was really great throughout. I don't remember any bugs.

Can't say the same for ArmA, about completing it. It just lost my interest.

But the "choose your path" thing was kind of neat.

OFP doesn't have a Soviet campaign.

And no, Red Hammer is not OFP.

Sorry, OFP Gold Expansion.

What is your point? :|

I would say that OFP is somehow more atmospheric than the sequels. The Cold War setting, the islands... there's just a special something that isn't there in the other games. Well, I can't speak for ArmA II (haven't played it), but I found ArmA's Sahrani to be really underwhelming compared to Everon, Malden and Nogova, and the civil war plot to be not nearly as compelling as a Cold War flashpoint.

And this is unrelated, but BIS somehow managed to make the radio dialogue in ArmA even more robotic sounding than in OFP, something I wasn't sure was possible. Seriously, compare the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9P8ZaFRTs0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oo_FNrbhXs

OFP doesn't have a Soviet campaign.

And no, Red Hammer is not OFP.
Gotta agree. The user-made Retaliation campaign was along the same lines as Red Hammer and it was a lot better by any sane standard.

I would say that OFP is somehow more atmospheric than the sequels. The Cold War setting, the islands... there's just a special something that isn't there in the other games. Well, I can't speak for ArmA II (haven't played it), but I found ArmA's Sahrani to be really underwhelming compared to Everon, Malden and Nogova, and the civil war plot to be not nearly as compelling as a Cold War flashpoint.

Don't forget Kolgujev, littered with Soviet bases and burned out towns.

I especially love the little cutscenes that play in the background of the main menu, especially for Kolgujev.

Well, I can't speak for ArmA II (haven't played it)

ARMA(They're writing it all caps now, Bohemia anyway) II has a very good campaign. ARMA2's more open-ended campaign is in my opinion very fascinating,

A general FYI is that ArmA 1 was generally just considered a test-bed by Bohemia for their latest iteration of their engine, it built upon the engine used in OFP:Elite(XB1 port of OFP.)

Don't forget Kolgujev, littered with Soviet bases and burned out towns.

I especially love the little cutscenes that play in the background of the main menu, especially for Kolgujev.
You're right, that island was always a little underappreciated. Very few people made missions on it.

My favorite intro cutscene has to be the one on Kolgujev of the Soviet soldiers standing around in the ruined church while the organ music plays. It's so sombre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtGPHGwk_8

Well for me Operation Flashpoint has to be by far the most immersive experience I have witnessed on a game bar HL2. I mean the mission when you entire squad is wiped out and you are left alone in a forest in the middle of nowhere, no positioning system on your map and no radio, Soviet patrols sweeping in from all directions looking for you and you know your allies are evacuating as you lay there in the dirt, the intensity is paramount.

And as you sneak your past tanks and infantry praying they don't see you, you have other allied units on the radio saying they are going to make it, only before the drop zone is overrun and they issue a refuge point for all remaining stragglers and you just know its hopeless but you push on to that location, the fact that 'papa bear' said 'God be with you...' before signing out for the last time, I was as nervous as I have ever been on a game.

One of the greatest gaming experiences of my life, the relief when I got there was amazing. But thats not all, you actually feel you are apart of the entire war, and its so believable how it progresses. And meeting the resistance fighters you actually feel strongly for their cause and care about what happens to them. Same goes for the Soviet campaign, when you are stranded on the island with a randomer you met along the way, and you have to assault an american base and steal a chopper, destroy some convoys along the way before scooting off to the ocean. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic game.

Including all old gaming systems:

Final Fantasy 3 (US 3)
Chrono Trigger
Super Techmo Bowl
Sim City 2000
I thought I was the only one who loved Theme Hospital but I guess not- although mine goes glitchy when the aliens show up.
Myst
I love Starcraft but I'll leave it off since I also loved Warcraft 3
Unreal Tournament
Super Mario Brothers 3

Back