PC Zone Half-Life 2 Feature Expected

rec

Reaction score
Update: Due to miscommunication between parties, we regret to inform you all that the rumoured December 11 release date is in fact speculation; all we know for sure at this point is that the edition of PC Zone claiming to bare a review of Half-Life 2 will hit stands on that same 11th.

HalfLife2.Net community participant, glimmerman, reports that this months edition of the UK's PC Zone Magazine finishes up with a not-so-subtle suggestion that their next edition will present a review of Half-Life 2!

All the very best reviews:
Unreal Tournament 2004
StarWars Knights of the Old Republic
StarWars Galaxies
Contract Jack
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Lords of Everquest

Oh and you never know, maybe even...
HALF-LIFE 2
The issue to look forward to is set to hit stores December 11th. Thanks again to glimmerman for pointing this out, let's pray that PC Zone are on the ball with this information.

PLEASE BE TRUE! say it's true! Do it for me! and the whole halflife2.net community!

Prayin' like always... but not holdin' my breath ;) (like always, too.)

As much as I like PC Zone and always buy their mag, I have to say that they quite often get these things wrong. It's not entirely their fault as they get told by the developer or the publisher of a game that they'll get beta or review code by next month. The game 'Breed' is an example. They've been promised by the publisher, and promising the reader, that there will be a review next month... oh wait, next month... no sorry, the moth AFTER the next moth.... bah, when it comes out alright! It's happened on a few occasions on different games. Having said that, roll on December 11th !!!

Half-Life 2 is set to hit stores December 11th

What a surprise that would be. Can you imagine that ? all of a sudden HL2 goes gold out of nowhere. ::crosses fingers::

HL2 for Christmas! THEN.. THE FEW PEOPLE (ahem, me, He@t, etc) WHO ARE STILL OPTIMISTIC GET A PAT ON THE BACK!

or we had better! lol :)

It would be a great Christmas after all if this were true but I am not getting my hopes up! Anyway what ever happend to Counter-Strike: Condition Zero coming out November 18th... I haven't heard or seen a thing about it :)

Originally posted by Shuzer
HL2 for Christmas! THEN.. THE FEW PEOPLE (ahem, me, He@t, etc) WHO ARE STILL OPTIMISTIC GET A PAT ON THE BACK!

or we had better! lol :)
AHEM!

yes indeed it may not be this month (yeah I was uber optimistic) but, its damn close :D.

anywhoo
Shuzer I love your new avatar.
Im going to have to rent event horizon and get a suitably creepy one... perhaps when whats her face tears her eyes out?
sounds like a plan ;)

EDIT: however wouldnt they need to announce going gold soon to meet that date?

i read i think in october or november's issue of Stuff Magazine they already reviewed HL2 and gave it 4 stars, and they also had pics. i dunno if they rated based on hype or what, but its there

I don't care if the date is true or not, because it will keep us interested. Don't tell me people won't be checking this site every 5 minutes for news until Dec 11th :)

Originally posted by AcneBrain
I don't care if the date is true or not, because it will keep us interested. Don't tell me people won't be checking this site every 5 minutes for news until Dec 11th :)

gah not again *angst*

oh wait I come here everyday anyway... BONUS ;)

Originally posted by Mr. Redundant
AHEM!

yes indeed it may not be this month (yeah I was uber optimistic) but, its damn close :D.

anywhoo
Shuzer I love your new avatar.
Im going to have to rent event horizon and get a suitably creepy one... perhaps when whats her face tears her eyes out?
sounds like a plan ;)

EDIT: however wouldnt they need to announce going gold soon to meet that date?

Woops, well, I'll just nickname you ahem so you won't think I unintentionally left you out in my extensive list of people :)

Thanks, I was bored, and I rented The Ring, so I took about 50 screencaps.. then cut it back to fit for an avatar :)

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Double Bonus. I live here.

I only visit for social calls.

Man i'd love it if this were true, no word at all cause they've been totally busting their asses to get it out in time, and then suprise us with that little gift. I think i'd get a lot more respect for valve.
Not that I don't have a lot right now, i like them more then any other developer, but it would be like how you feel about your parents on christmas when you're a kid and they get you exactly what you wanted. Sure you loved them alreaty, but now they're just that much cooler.

Oh yea, on the going gold thing, a game has been able to go gold 4 days before release and still make it out on time. I remember doing research on that around september 30th, you know, in that nail biting last two weeks, i forget what the game was but they could spring it on us. Also some developers don't even announce when the game goes gold publicly.

Man would that ever be nice. Maybe this is why things have been so quiet lately.

Only thing is if they release it before it's really 100%. I doubt Valve would do that though, I mean, the game's gonna sell anyway, and they're not the kind of developer that would release an unfinished product.

I dunno really. I don't trust any news that's released regarding Hl2 anymore. To me it sounds more like.. uh when you poke hot coals with uh.. a fire-poker..

Anyway on the other hand it's a respectable game magazine and not an online retailer..

hmmm.. *ponders*

errrr... hold on guys.

The release date for the MAG is december the 11, HL2 may be a while yet. I can think of a few instances where magazines get pre-gold to do a review. I think it was PCZone that did a review of CS:CZ as well. Doesn't mean the game is going to be out Dec 11. but on the upside, most reviews are done when a game is ABOUT to hit the shelves at publication time.

Hey look everybody a grain of salt

I emailed PC Zone to get the lowdown.

They were keen to point out that in last month's issue of PCZ, they also said "and with a little luck...Half Life 2" [with regards to a review].

Truth is that they probably know as much as we do about the release of Half Life 2, and I expect that's how it will stay until Valve say otherwise.

I'd expect there to be the same sort of 'massed' publicity campaign (much like the 'crowbar' teasers) that came out before E3 in ALL games mags at the same time. I doubt one mag will get an exclusive on such a big release.

Why do PC Zone keep calling "previews" "reviews" ?

If this were true (which I very much doubt) then I don't know how trustworthy the review is going to be. Valve is and always will be a company, and even I respect them very much, you can't expect an objective review of an exclusive. I really hate exclusives. And then the mag it's in, PC Zone, weren't they the guys that were the first to review Unreal 2 and gave it a 9.2?

Originally posted by PvtRyan
If this were true (which I very much doubt) then I don't know how trustworthy the review is going to be. Valve is and always will be a company, and even I respect them very much, you can't expect an objective review of an exclusive. I really hate exclusives. And then the mag it's in, PC Zone, weren't they the guys that were the first to review Unreal 2 and gave it a 9.2?

If only there were someone from PC Zone around here to answer your queries...

Originally posted by Fenric1138
If only there were someone from PC Zone around here to answer your queries...

What do you mean? I don't recall asking any questions?

What do you mean? I don't recall asking any questions?

You asked a rhetorical question :) lol

Originally posted by Shuzer
You asked a rhetorical question :) lol

Yeah precisely, I didn't ask anything but I knew that PC Zone wouldn't be afraid to accept an offer to give HL2 a high rating.

Btw, why did you send me a PM and cancelled it? Now I wanna know what was in it! :D

Yeah precisely, I didn't ask anything but I knew that PC Zone wouldn't be afraid to accept an offer to give HL2 a high rating.

Btw, why did you send me a PM and cancelled it? Now I wanna know what was in it! :D

I have no idea what the PM was.. lemme think.. I think it had something to do with corpses and HL2, but I think what I said was pretty redundant so I decided there was no reason to even send it

I must be missing something.

I don't see Half-life 2 mentioned in the list.

All the very best reviews:
Unreal Tournament 2004
StarWars Knights of the Old Republic
StarWars Galaxies
Contract Jack
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Lords of Everquest

..I even tried reading it from top to bottom. Nope. Nothing. Someone point out what I'm missing?

rec must have cut it out by accident: at the end of the list was the statement:

"Oh and you never know, maybe even....
Halflife 2"

lol.

hmm it looks quite finished to me. i don't think it will be in stores the 11th, but i guess and hopes are that it will be/must be/might be/could be/should be in dec gold.

^^ can u see the frustration! god let this happen! death to hackers! only the bad ones! arghh...

Theres a good chance (maybe...) that it will be out before Crimbo.
As Steam is constantly getting updated more and thus becoming more stable. And we all know thats the real reason hl2 has been delayed, that and valve know that if they don't release it before christmas they'll lose out on so much money, especially as all the other big games have been pushed back.

The choice of date is perfect if it is a crimbo release, because it's the last oppunity for a game to really sell well to hit christmas number one or GOTY 2003.
If PC Zone are just fibbing is to be told but it's not far off and we'll be able to see.
I just wish I had contacts with certain people who actually have to package the game.

I must dissapoint you. Picked up this in the Valve info thrad.

It won't release Dec. 11th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:22 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: December 11th? naaah

Can you confirm or deny that Half-Life 2 will be released/going gold on December 11th, or in the year of 2003? The reason I ask is because of this: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...;threadid=15059

Thanks for your time!

I must dissapoint you. Picked up this in the Valve info thrad.

quote:It won't release Dec. 11th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:22 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: December 11th? naaah

Can you confirm or deny that Half-Life 2 will be released/going gold on December 11th, or in the year of 2003? The reason I ask is because of this: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...;threadid=15059

Thanks for your time!

--------------------------------------------------

He did not however say that it wouldn't go gold on the 11th, or any other dec. date for that matter. ;)

Originally posted by Gossoon
He did not however say that it wouldn't go gold on the 11th, or any other dec. date for that matter. ;)

yay, more optimistic people! I'm not alone.. and I agree completely!

Originally posted by Pendragon
I don't normally go into this sort of release date speculation, but come on people, do you really think it'll be released this December? I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but be realistic!

Note: I'd give you permission to smack me if it does release during December, but I'll be so busy jumping for joy, running to the store, buying it, and playing it (and so will you) that you'll never catch me.

I dunno. As stupid as it sounds, I'm still hopeful for a december release.

Although some signs point to post-December, VALVe DID say Holidays 2003.. and, well, that was after they knew they'd been hacked. Now this e-mail, but all he says it won't ship December 11th.. however, that doesn't mean it can't go gold around that, and a company such as PC Zone can't have a gold copy to review!

..I'm too optimistic, perhaps, but, I WANT HL2!~## lol

Back