Playstation 4 thread

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
So anyone actually watch the big old conference? Some exciting stuff.

Specs:
  • 8-core AMD CPU and some fancy Radeon GPU
  • 8GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Hard disc, not solid state drive
  • USB 3 ports

Controller
  • Redesigned sticks, grip and shoulder buttons
  • New d-pad
  • Start is now "options"
    Select is now "share"
  • Those two buttons and the home button moved to make room for touchpad in middle of controller
  • Touchpad is capacitive, has a click mechanism, supports two points of touch
  • Sixaxis control still there
  • Don't know if all four face buttons and shoulder buttons are still analogue, hopefully they are
  • Light on top for tracking with Move camera
  • Built in headphone jack (headphone comes with PS4)
  • Built in speaker
  • Still connects with mini USB and Bluetooth

dHNncra.jpg

Confirmed titles:
  • Deep Down (Capcom)
  • Destiny
  • Diablo III
  • Driveclub
  • New Final Fantasy
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Watch Dogs
  • The Witness (Jonathan Blow)

Big emphasis on "SHARING". Share button opens up share menu to record or stream footage. There's a dedicated capture card so recording and streaming doesn't impact game performance. The new Move now has two 1280*800 pixel cameras an a four microphone array so you can record 3D video of yourself playing and share that too why not. Controllers all have lights for position tracking with the Move too. Split screen that can detect who's on the left and who's on the right comes to mind.

All I need to know is how long do I have to wait to not have to fork out a thousand dollars for it.

Infamous 3 is all that interests me. Killzone does nothing for me after 3.

Also Destiny.

More interested in steam box really.

They just showed a bunch of generic titles apart from dog days which does look pretty banging.

If it doesn't have backwards compatibility back to PS1, I'll pass.

I was hoping not to hear the words "connected" "networking" "social" and "sharing" as much as I did.

/cynical.

If it doesn't have backwards compatibility back to PS1, I'll pass.

I was hoping not to hear the words "connected" "networking" "social" and "sharing" as much as I did.

/cynical.

All ps1,ps2, and ps3 games will be able to stream on the ps4 for an additional payment.

Even if they set up servers here, a streaming service in New Zealand would be patchy at best.

Oh hey, new OMGTEHGRAPHIX console.

Still waiting on innovative gameplay.
**** that shit, we got a TOCUSCREEN CONTROLLER OOOO MMYYY GOOOOOOODDD :D :D :D :D

Srsly though, the touchscreen looks ****ing retarded.

They just showed a bunch of generic titles apart from dog days which does look pretty banging.

I LOL'd.

But yeah, Watch Dogs does look sweet; thankfully it's coming out for the PC as well.

I dunno, new consoles don't really excite me these days because I don't play them anymore
Same. I still haven't changed from my PS2, which is quietly gathering an obscene amount of dust. Consoles lost their appeal to me a loooong time ago.
Anyways, I don't see the point of forking out hundreds of money for a console for the privilege of paying 10-20 quid more for games that are available for my PC. Exclusive titles don't interest me much either. (I'm not sure that made much sense.... I'm tired and had a bad week...)

Criticism of the press conference

http://gameological.com/2013/02/more-more-morehow-do-you-like-it/

I dunno, new consoles don't really excite me these days because I don't play them anymore
I agree with the article as far as the tone of the conference and of Sony (and inevitably Microsoft) pushing next-gen as the second coming again, but I can't complain about the hardware getting a boost if it'll mean the graphics bottleneck is finally removed for PC games as well. The fact that the hardware seems to be more similar to PC architecture than the PS3's should make porting easier, too.

Anyway, besides Watch Dogs, the Witness looks really cool and I'm a little disappointed he's going exclusive with it (fake edit: no wait, it's only a timed exclusive, still coming to PC, hooray!). Only game they demoed that I thought looked really striking, graphically, and it's John Blow so the puzzles ought to be great.

saw the Event and was not impressed. My jaw dropped when I realized they didn't even show the system. the next Xbox and PC purchase will be more desirable to me. Also the new flock of home game systems will be fun enough for me especially since they'll be around $200 and not $500. I seriously don't want this system until major price drops.

Why ****ing cares what the system looks like? They probably didn't show anything because the design hasn't been finalized.

What if they already announced specs.

IN A WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRLD

what if there is no "console" per se and the ps4 is a steam like network where your games are streamed to the tv like that onlive thing?

There will be a console, it's likely just not completed yet.

Unless televisions are going to start coming with controller ports.

I suspect getting in before Microsoft had something to do with it.

saw the Event and was not impressed. My jaw dropped when I realized they didn't even show the system. the next Xbox and PC purchase will be more desirable to me. Also the new flock of home game systems will be fun enough for me especially since they'll be around $200 and not $500. I seriously don't want this system until major price drops.

Alright, this fascinates me, is it REALLY important at all that we see some sleek black/white box? I mean, this isnt an iphone, the only thing that really matters is the controller, which sucks. I cant believe they kept the dualstick, I mean this is just stupid.

Press goons have been really negative about the no showing of the box, but them announcing the specs and them being pretty damn good are what is important here, box will be on stage E3

Alright, this fascinates me, is it REALLY important at all that we see some sleek black/white box? I mean, this isnt an iphone, the only thing that really matters is the controller, which sucks. I cant believe they kept the dualstick, I mean this is just stupid.
Two things. First, why is the look of the iphone important when the look of the console isn't? Secondly, whats wrong with dual sticks? Is there an alternative out there we've found thats better for a single controller device?

I think maybe he means that they kept the symmetric design rather than copy the Xbox's staggered sticks? Not sure. The look of an iPhone is important because the customer base that Apple has and wants uses them as a status symbol and the look is part of the iDevice brand and product they're buying because people are ****ing stupid. Generally people buy video game consoles too play video games though, not as status symbols so it doesn't matter.

Some people do have their AV setups coordinated though. Some people like to have the console on display next to their super awesome amp and TV etc. I can see where they're coming from, but they can't buy the thing until the end of the year so what difference does it make that they haven't seen it yet?

Still, I'm quite looking forward to next-gen. Mostly because PC games will benefit from it also since developers won't be holding the games back due to the consoles not being able to do the advanced stuff.

Two things. First, why is the look of the iphone important when the look of the console isn't? Secondly, whats wrong with dual sticks? Is there an alternative out there we've found thats better for a single controller device?

Im talking form factor, how big it is etc. The thing has to fit in your hands so weight, placement, sleekness are all very important to it.
Consoles sit under your tv, they can be big and boxy as they want and few will care. For evidence look at the original Xbox, that thing was a beast and EXPLODED out of the gate.

The controller was a compromise from 1995, there is no ****ing reason for it anymore. The problem is your thumb has to reach PAST the handles to get to the sticks, thats stupid and a lot of people have problems with it. There should be analogs at the very edge of the controller, preferably at the top near the R L buttons since those things are what most games use vastly more. The wii u minus the big screen is very comfortable

The controller was a compromise from 1995, there is no ****ing reason for it anymore. The problem is your thumb has to reach PAST the handles to get to the sticks, thats stupid and a lot of people have problems with it. There should be analogs at the very edge of the controller, preferably at the top near the R L buttons since those things are what most games use vastly more. The wii u minus the big screen is very comfortable
I've always found the PS controller the most comfortable of any console, I dont think I'd like the sticks on the edges. I feel like the thumbs are more naturally inclined to go to where the sticks currently are, and having them more to the edge is actually more strain than there is currently.

I'm a big fan of the Dual Shock. 360's pad is great for versatility, but I think some folks like myself enjoy the larger analog heads and so forth. Also I realize it's just me and a few others, but the shapes instead of the lettering was always a better, more satisfying feedback loop for QTEs, etc.

Also: D-pad

The Dualshock has always felt to me like something that was purpose-built to feel boxy and uncomfortable. I don't mind the joystick placement, but I feel like I have to use a KB/M-style claw grip with both hands to keep my fingers on all the buttons. Also the shape-labelled face buttons confuse the **** out of me, I can never remember which side circle and square are on. Possibly because I've never owned a Sony console before...

It does have a pretty great d-pad though. But the N64's was better B)

I always preferred the PS controllers to the XBox controllers. Preferred the old N64 controller to both of them to be honest. It felt the most comfortable and natural to me. Try going back and using an old SNES or even a NES controller. Man, do they give you cramps! Weird, considering they didn't back in the day before the more ergonomic controllers came out...

Sony has actually been listening to my emails. I'll finally be able to activate special abilities with my cock.

Back