Portal 2 Released!

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
LhyL3.jpg
[br]
Over 500,000 potatoes later (as well as blood, sweat and tears) at last Portal 2 has been released! Go and visit GLaDOS for the second time, I challenge you not to laugh once! Feel free to post your thoughts but please use our [ spoiler ] tags when discussing specific parts of the game or story.[br]If you are looking for a co-op partner join the HL2.net Steam Group and join chat or post a thread in the Portal 2 forum. Anyway, I will see you all in a couple hours!

I very exite! how long does it take to decrypt the game files?

Forever, it seems. Who's up for some late night co-op? I don't have class until 11AM tomorrow. I'm down for staying up all night.

Yep. That sounds about right, Veggies.

Also, to anyone who checks out the Super 8... video... in the Extras section, don't be excited that you're experiencing something awesome.

That was a fun couple hours. Gonna give the rest a go tomorrow when I'm actually awake.

First impressions: it's pretty great.

Though I wasn't impressed when I paused it and saw "Saving game....Please do not turn off your console."

Yeah that was my only gripe so far. The game itself runs shittons smoother than I had even hoped.

actual spoiler here:

Did anyone

find the hidden room in chamber 17 with all the coffee mugs and drawings on the walls?

creepy

question (very minor spoilers):

how do you solve the turret scanner puzzle after you escape with wheatley into the factories?

This has been the first Valve title since HL2 that ive not picked up at launch. Going to wait till the sales where it undoubtedly be available for a lot less.

For those who have beat the Singleplayer-

I just rescued Potato-Glados from the crow. Roughly how much longer do I have to go? Debating whether or not to finish it tonight.

For those who have beat the Singleplayer-

I just rescued Potato-Glados from the crow. Roughly how much longer do I have to go? Debating whether or not to finish it tonight.

Theres 10 chapters, 10 is the credits. You've got an hour or two left, probably closer to two.

Random question: anyone played this using an ati 4670? That's my current GPU. It's on an i7 950, but I'm wondering if the 4670 will be up to the job at reasonable framerates? It manages L4D2 pretty well - is it likely to be about the same?

Valve has rewarded loyal potato collectors with a copy of the Valve Complete Pack, including Portal 2. No gift passes have been given if you already own the game(s).
Heh most people who did the potato hunt had these already...because they are avid Valve fans. I really don't understand this.

Man, this is without a doubt the longest workday I have ever had. Thank god I have a co-worker that wants to play the game as much as I do. Suffering together makes it a bit more bearable.

Oh Darkside is going to have a field day with this one:
Portal 2 has an in-game store for co-op bot accessories, skins and taunts and some of the TF2 hats are transferable over to it.

Random question: anyone played this using an ati 4670? That's my current GPU. It's on an i7 950, but I'm wondering if the 4670 will be up to the job at reasonable framerates? It manages L4D2 pretty well - is it likely to be about the same?
I have it on my laptop with Core 2 Duo - runs on highest as smooth as a silk :) Played only 10 mins before the work though, so not entirely sure how is the rest of the game.

Finished it, loved every minute! (except when I was mega frustrated).

Can someone please help me with Test Chamber 5?
The Wheatley one.
I've been stuck for over an hour, first time all game I've really gotten frustrated and I can't be bothered sleeping, I want to finish! :D

"I can't be bothered sleeping." That's so lazy!

Portal 2 has an in-game store for co-op bot accessories, skins and taunts and some of the TF2 hats are transferable over to it.

Oh God, what.
What the hell Valve.

You'll have no trouble. Might not be able to max it out idk but you should manage on medium.

Suddenly any want I had to buy it before is completely gone.

Suddenly any want I had to buy it before is completely gone.

That's taking it a little far.
They're just cosmetic items, after all.

But, I'd have a problem with them if they were as unoptimized as the items for TF2 and caused the game to run worse than it used to.

just finished the game. liked it, I must say, but with a few dissapointaments, notably:
the test chambers valve showed off but never included in the game :(

Heh most people who did the potato hunt had these already...because they are avid Valve fans. I really don't understand this.

The ARG has been the most complex and detailed thing which all led to this point, do you think Valve will use it for the most anti-climatic purpose? Moaning cynical old men, geez.

just finished the game. liked it, I must say, but with a few dissapointaments, notably:
the test chambers valve showed off but never included in the game :(

I noticed that too. There were similarities, though... I think they changed some of the details as to not give away the story in those areas, while retaining as much of the puzzle as possible.

I posted about that last night in the chat while there was still an hour left.

Act now, fellas, and you can get the COMPLETE PACK for $40 instead of $90, a real steal for some gestures, skins, and digital derbies. This is what happens, folks. This is what TF2 hath wrought. Valve used to give away awesome stuff for free, now everything is monetized. And it was the community what let it happen.

Also hey, general question: anyone else notice the textures in the game are rather pixelated? I'm on a 5770 and I've got all my settings cranked up to full (16x aniso, 8x aa) and whenever I look real close at something, it's pixelated and/or blursville.

Played through in one more or less unbroken session after waking up this morning; great, great game. I'd been deliberately avoiding most of the info about it, so everything felt doubly fresh, not least the excellent voice acting from somebody I didn't expect to hear at all.

Certain parts frustrated me. Other moments relatively early on felt weird and had me dubious about the direction Valve had taken with the game. There's a distinctly console friendly feel to the mechanics, and many more rough edges than there were to be found in the first Portal... BUT overall it is immense. Breathtaking cinematics, brilliant environments and fun puzzles for the most part. As good as a game can be expected to be.

People might complain about the length, but for a story driven puzzle game with only a few basic gameplay elements, I don't see how it could have been longer without becoming exhaustingly drawn out.
You already play through 60 years' worth of test chambers as it stands.
Looking at my profile I have 10.7 hours clocked up, but that includes some pauses for breakfast, staring at the title screen etc. It's really quite dense.

Loved it!

I posted about that last night in the chat while there was still an hour left.

Act now, fellas, and you can get the COMPLETE PACK for $40 instead of $90, a real steal for some gestures, skins, and digital derbies. This is what happens, folks. This is what TF2 hath wrought. Valve used to give away awesome stuff for free, now everything is monetized. And it was the community what let it happen.

Also hey, general question: anyone else notice the textures in the game are rather pixelated? I'm on a 5770 and I've got all my settings cranked up to full (16x aniso, 8x aa) and whenever I look real close at something, it's pixelated and/or blursville.

It is kind of BS how so many things were free... thne started the "buy this get a hat"... now it's all microtransactions. I guess I never really cared for hats and trinkets to begin with... certainly not enough to spend real dollars on them.

I have noticed that the Source engine is looking a bit dated, but nothing so bad that I'm like "get out of my face." It still looks good and the improvements that have happened through the Episodes and into this game are sufficient. It also helps it so it still runs on my computer that's not aging quite so well. Tonight if I finish the single player, I plan on starting some multiplayer action because I think that will be fun.

edit: I'm sad I played for so long that I missed a lot of cool menu screens. Valve is most definitely the undisputed champion at making you stare at a menu screen. The only one that ever even came to the same ballpark for hotdogs was C&C Generals. I guess I can always load them in the console or whatever like before. I'll have to scrutinize them for cool eastereggs.

you know it just got me-

the borealis wasn't in the drydock, so where is the 'missing experiment', is it in co op (be careful I haven't played co-op yet)?

also-

has the 'final transmission' been discovered yet? this could be half-life related

you know it just got me-

the borealis wasn't in the drydock, so where is the 'missing experiment', is it in co op (be careful I haven't played co-op yet)?

The Borealis isn't in the drydock, therefore it is missing. It is the missing experiment.

you know it just got me-

Remember that
the Borealis took a part of the drydock with it when it disappeared. Kleiner mentions this in Ep2. Hence the "missing" part of the missing experiment.

Starbob said:
I'm sad I played for so long that I missed a lot of cool menu screens.
I was thinking this too. I had completely forgotten about changing menu screens despite having played Ep2 a few days earlier. When I finally decided to quit I was like, "Aww, I must've missed a ton of screens!"

no that's not what I meant- when I found it, I didn't get the achievement, so I was assuming it's something else.

What exactly are you guys talking about when you say
'drydock'? I remember the Kliener quote and can imagine how it would apply to the Borealis vanishing, but I don't remember seeing anything in Portal 2 that struck me as being a drydock. Like I say, I didn't keep up with the pre-release - is this an area we're already familiar with due to previews or something...?

The only areas that looked like they might qualify were 3 miles underground which doesn't seem like a logical place for a drydock, even in the less-than-logical world of Aperture Science...?

cheers.

anyways:
I was a tad dissapointed with the ending- not epic enough, was upset it wasn't either a 'to be continued...' as all Half-lifes and Portal 1 were, or a epic ending that explained everything, we still have loose ends that may never be tied up, such as what exactly is going on in the world outside, how long has it been like this, where are the combine/humans etc.

Back