posible first mars colonization will be made whit old people?

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://io9.com/5690489/the-fastest-...mars-is-to-not-worry-about-bringing-them-back

All current plans to send human explorers to Mars suggest the first mission is 25 years away. But a one-way journey could actually be possible very soon, and it might be just what we need to kick-start human space exploration.

That's the only slightly crazy idea put forward by Washington State's Dirk Schulze-Makuch and Arizona State's Paul Davies. Although their notions may seem like the stuff of science fiction - their scholarly paper discussing the idea actually has the Star Trek inspired title "To Boldly Go" - they believe the technology to send astronauts to Mars exists right now, or will in just a few years, and there really is no time like the present.

Their proposal calls for a pair of two-person spaceships that would make the six month journey to Mars at right about the same time, followed by a steady stream of supply ships and additional colonists. The astronauts would head to Mars knowing that, in all likelihood, they would never set foot on Earth again. Schulze-Makuch and Davies liken the astronauts' ordeal to that experienced by the first European settlers of the New World, very few of whom ever saw their native lands again.

And make no mistake, these really would be interplanetary pilgrims, not just visiting scientists. The authors' main concern is the colonization of Mars, which they see as a vital step towards safeguarding the human race from an Earth-based catastrophe and ensuring that at least some small portion of our species survives.

Then there are the particular details of their plan, which would certainly make terrific science fiction even if their mission never becomes science fact. They place the first Martian colony next to a big ice cave, which would provide a perfect mix of shielding from radiation and abundant stores of water and oxygen. They also suggest the first colonists should be somewhat older, perhaps around 60. They say this on the basis that the radiation exposure will shorten lifespan and damage reproductive organs, so it's better to send people who won't be affected by either of those problems. This does raise the question of just how this will become a permanent, ongoing Martian colony though.

still...

So far, their ideas haven't met with much support from either NASA personnel or the current standard-bearers of human space exploration, the Apollo astronauts. Apollo 14 astronaut Ed Mitchell suggests the plan isn't something we're ready for yet, while NASA spokesman Michael Braukus puts it simply: "We want our people back."

but hey it would be hilarious

old astronaut: bygone everyone! good thing I have experience whit the diapers!

I'd volunteer. in fact I'm sure there would be hundreds if not thousands of healthy 20, 30, or 40 yr olds who would go

How the hell are they going to start a colony when Mars itself zaps your gonads and makes all your babbys mutants?

Holy shit mutant Mars colony... AWESOME.

My signature only furthers how much I love every single one of the 10,000+ posts you've given to this site that make me laugh hysterically every time. Thank you, RJMC, thank you.

the day we start a Mars colony is the day the human race completely fractures into 2 distinct sub species

How the hell are they going to start a colony when Mars itself zaps your gonads and makes all your babbys mutants?

STAAAAART THE REACTOOOOOOOOOR

I hope they get paid whit rapey dollars

200px-ArielHanson_SC2_Head2_7832.jpg

Anyone?

This seriously had me thinking about DooM 3. Just saying, after that game, I wouldn't have the balls to try to live on Mars. At least, not in my lifetime. Not until they terraform it and it looks nothing like that dry, red, dusty wasteland it is now. *shivers*

I cannot take anything you say seriously.

oh I sorry I am not mr seriouslytaken, atleast I dont flood the forums whit the latest memes and old internet realted jokes or posting anime pics of litle girls that no one wants to see but are still posted over and over again

let me go trough the door of noserisoulytakenland where I can spend my unseriouslyness in the valleys of nottakenseriosulyfields

I ****ing love RJMC, says it exactly how it is, too the man. Damn right, too many pictures of little girls being posted.

As far as space travel is concerned I would not want to be a pioneer, I would want to be a tourist. As soon as colonies, and al the apropiate infrastructure is built, I would consider going to a hotel on the Moon or Mars. Living off the land on another planet is not my idea of fun.

oh I sorry I am not mr seriouslytaken, atleast I dont flood the forums whit the latest memes and old internet realted jokes or posting anime pics of litle girls that no one wants to see but are still posted over and over again

let me go trough the door of noserisoulytakenland where I can spend my unseriouslyness in the valleys of nottakenseriosulyfields

Good lord I lol'd.

Hell yeah, stick it to the man! Viva la Revolution!

1. If RJMC dies, I will kill a random forum member and sacrifice him/her to my new God.

2. Why are there no Stern jokes?

Back