Possible remake of 1984? Tim Robbins directing

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
Robbins is currently directing a stage version of the novel for his LA theatre troupe, The Actors’ Gang. That runs until April 8, but when we spoke to him yesterday, he told us that he doesn’t want the 1984 experience to end there.

“I’ve got a screenplay of it,” he told us (presumably written by Michael Gene Sullivan, who adapted the novel for The Actors’ Gang). “And now I’m starting the process of trying to put it together.

You can find the whole article here

Orwell's prophetic genius being prostituted by Tim Robbins, one of the most outspoken wannabe liberal political mouthpieces for Hollywood...big surprise.

Of course, I can't argue with anything that might inspire people to read more...even Oprah and her befrigged bookclub!

I'd watch it. Robbins' is a good guy though...as Victim said, he is quite outspoken.

How bout a futuristic 1984? :D

It could be called 2084....or 2184!

pomegranate said:
er... back on topic please?
Er... you didn't capitalize your name. No one is going to pay attention to you. Sorry bud.

New moveh!!! IT ARE CALLED 8484!! Vaguely based on teh book 1984!! With William Shatner and some other guy who sucks! Also, directed by yet another actor that just has to go into directing! Not because he is talented, necessarily, but because he has money!!! Quote by Tim Robbins:
Timmeh said:
Since 1984 has already passed, I'm sure I can f*ck the book up the ass in any so way I so choose! I SURE LIKE MONEY!

I wish Hollywood would stop being a piece of shit and make their own, original, stories. But that's like wishing for world peace.

I remember David Bowie wanted to do a album adaptation of orwell's masterpiece during his musical peak( during the days of Low and Ziggy), but he couldn't get the rights. I think he would've been brillant.

Anyway..i like the original film but felt it was too short and that they left out a little too much of the book. If he can stay true and make this one adaquate in length, then it should be good.....but like Erestheux said, that's like wishing for world peace.

Erestheux said:
Er... you didn't capitalize your name. No one is going to pay attention to you. Sorry bud.

Huh? Will you explain why you're being so rude? Or shall I just take it as a flame and respond in kind?

brink's said:
I remember David Bowie wanted to do a album adaptation of orwell's masterpiece during his musical peak( during the days of Low and Ziggy), but he couldn't get the rights. I think he would've been brillant.

Anyway..i like the original film but felt it was too short and that they left out a little too much of the book. If he can stay true and make this one adaquate in length, then it should be good.....but like Erestheux said, that's like wishing for world peace.

He kinda did, Diamond Dogs is influenced by 1984
Regarding the film, I think that what was left out would've been kinda hard to incorporate - to me the real meat of the book was the appendix, where in truth the strongest part of the political commentary was. And I can't see how that would've been incorporated into the narrative of the film without making it deathly boring.

pomegranate said:
Huh? Will you explain why you're being so rude? Or shall I just take it as a flame and respond in kind?
Not before you expain your rudeness!

En garde!!

I agree with pomegranate really.. this film wouldn't appeal to the masses, but to include all the political and social backdrop and understanding... i dont think it'd work as a movie at all.

Pomegranate's are delicious

But yeah, I'd say a remake is pretty unnecessary. But that seems to be Hollywood's thing these days

Erestheux said:
Not before you expain your rudeness!

En garde!!

I'm not being rude. You, on the other hand, are being a troll. Don't bother, please.

IonizeMyAtoms said:
Pomegranate's are delicious

Yeah, that's what they all say.....

pomegranate said:
I'm not being rude. You, on the other hand, are being a troll. Don't bother, please.
Dude, I was kidding because you were a grammar nazi. Perhaps you should remove your panties from that bunched state? Your definition of a "troll" seems to be "someone who makes jokes sometimes." It's wrong.

On another note, I've never had a pomegranate before. They look rather unappetizing.

Erestheux said:
Dude, I was kidding because you were a grammar nazi. Perhaps you should remove your panties from that bunched state? Your definition of a "troll" seems to be "someone who makes jokes sometimes." It's wrong.

Erestheux said:

Your first reply in the thread was dismissive and rude for no reason. Your tone was not joking. So perhaps your definition a of joke, which seems to be "giving unprompted, impolite comments to strangers", is wrong?

pomegranate said:
Your first reply in the thread was dismissive and rude for no reason. Your tone was not joking. So perhaps your definition a of joke, which seems to be "giving unprompted, impolite comments to strangers", is wrong?
I think you need to lighten up, buddy. Making fun of you because you were nitpicking at a typo, and then when someone else you responded to your nitpicking, you had to be all uptight and say "Back on topic" that, to me, is NOT trolling.

Funny how you can tell my tone on the internets. :cheers: :thumbs:

Absinthe Semen -- It may be acidic, but its still the best!

I don't have semen. My urethra blows air bubbles.

Erestheux said:
Funny how you can tell my tone on the internets. :cheers: :thumbs:

Obviously you can't be certain in interpreting typed messages; that's why you have to be unambigous when you're saying something in jest; that's where you failed. Do you understand yet?

Absinthe said:
That sounds... wonderful. :bonce:

applesarebetter said:
Obviously you can't be certain in interpreting typed messages; that's why you have to be unambigous when you're saying something in jest; that's where you failed. Do you understand yet?
God, would you just shut up?

Absinthe said:
No urine either? Uh-oh--your urethral sphincter might need an examination. Better get that checked out....

IonizeMyAtoms said:
You should really try one, they're quite delicious
But they look like the brain of a zombie filled with blood clots and white things. :(

Are they a fruit like tomatoes are a fruit? As in, they don't taste sweet and exotic? :(

:( :( :(

Erestheux said:
God, would you just shut up?

Sorry, but no. To do that would be to let you think you can get away with thoughtlessly saying whatever you want to people, and then think it's hunky dory if you then say 'I was joking, don't you get it', and not acknowledge that you might've done something wrong. I won't allow that.

Your response is only proving my point further.

pomegranate said:
Sorry, but no. To do that would be to let you think you can get away with thoughtlessly saying whatever you want to people, and then think it's hunky dory if you then say 'I was joking, don't you get it', and not acknowledge that you might've done something wrong. I won't allow that.

Your response is only proving my point further.
The only thing that it is proving is that you can be one obnoxious tight-ass.

I was joking, but I'm not any more. You're obnoxious as hell.

I'M A TROLL FOR THINKING YOU ARE WHINY!

Erestheux said:
I wish Hollywood would stop being a piece of shit and make their own, original, stories. But that's like wishing for world peace.
What is... "Original stories"?

el Chi said:
What is... "Original stories"?
Is this Jeopardy! now? :O :angel:

I want a movie that isn't ISN"T a remake and ISN'T based on a book / comic book / video game / play / nazi propaganda.

I realize that most movies are based on something else, but recently its gotten out of control. Every other movie has been a remake, and all the rest are based on comic books or books. It's the new Hollywood fad, and only a handfull of them are good (Sin City.)

Was Munich written for the screen, by the way? Because it just may be the only movie of 2005 that was.

Well I've read the book, and seen the movie. But if they did make it again(which I doubt they will) I'de probably see it anyhow.

Back