Post a screenshot!

Playing a hilariously bad Tomb Raider clone is a great way to enjoy summer

"They'll never notice me on this truck..."
indy4.jpg

Camping and spamming in corner to kill intelligent communist soldiers (you have unlimited ammo)
indy2.jpg

indy1.jpg

mqdOj.jpg

Starting out

cYXjc.jpg

A vista shot. You find little cinematic videos through-out the game that take you on a camera rail.

sbQPn.jpg

There is great beauty in the world, I have seen a fair few elabourate environmental design.

sj4tk.jpg

Little side work: Many areas where you need to scale an obstacle course to achieve items/vistas.

VtZaU.jpg

This huge construct in front of me is one of those obstacles. It was tricky and took many attempts but gave great rewards.

aTTwp.jpg

An outpost in the northern Caledon Forest.

qR25p.jpg

Human Outpost. The Sylvari are new born, so they came to help out.

Qgals.jpg

Forest inlet where Asura's have set up, seen from my perch.

jfNvm.jpg

Downed by an enemy, fighting to survive.

nDAUX.jpg

The Grove, home of the Pale Tree, a proverbial mother of the Sylvari who watches over the new born.

HAJ4G.jpg

Neat weather and time cycles.

ZFqqP.jpg

Myself.

Well that's one of the weirdest looking characters/equipment I've ever seen in a game. And purty fantasy environments.

Guild Wars 2. The Beta weekend ended today and I got a fair bit of hours into the game. The game comes out on the 25th of August if you preorder.

47l0O.jpg

dEixm.jpg

oc9lK.jpg

BsWx7.jpg

DWgGx.jpg

7zHNS.jpg

XcwMV.jpg

9aMT8.jpg

3G6Jg.jpg

Last shot: Guy at left sitting on that lizard. Lizard has spikes on it's back. Guy in un phased.

Whaaaaat you guys play that game too? Is that Warband, or that napoleonic one?

Dont even know how this happened. Saw it and had to look twice. We laughed on TS about it and everyone came over to take a look. Then some idiot in a tank blew it up.

bf3_2012_08_01_21_52_34_784.png

bf3_2012_08_01_21_52_50_056.png

bf3_2012_08_01_21_53_33_648.png

bf3_2012_08_01_21_52_26_654.png

A nice view in a user-made (and very dangerous) map

Qzmr9.jpg

Watching an unsuspecting morgs as he bikes down this peaceful road. Later he was found dead.

nMqdW.jpg

Sneaking up on Taco. I watched him for about 10 seconds, admiring his pose, before he slowly turned my way and I shot him.

HJBIk.jpg

4xwX1.jpg

Our hero being defended by a girl.

This game has so much character, vibrancy and great music.

You playing in Dolphin? That shot is gorgeous. Way nicer than it looks on my TV. Also best Zelda (the person) of any Zelda (the game) so far. I was sold on her the moment she started laughing at Link for doing the ITEM GET pose mid-conversation.

Yeah she has a personality now.
I've been using Dolphin for a while with my Wii games. It's been too long for Monster hunter to look this good:

B760E67D22349911C23AA1F190EFF387A4ADAEAA

326750FFAA8642C1C39F7EBC5CEF370ED9FE1A7D

2DF928B6BB999D25A535E76965CC92CAB6FBA625

3582A1CF1424D1AD3943B182B8F78858D1B294D2

Damn. When I build a proper gaming PC I must make sure to get a disc drive that can read Wii and Gamecube discs.

You dare make fun of Indy? OH HECK NO! This was one of my favorite games growing up.

Playing a hilariously bad Tomb Raider clone is a great way to enjoy summer

"They'll never notice me on this truck..."
indy4.jpg

Camping and spamming in corner to kill intelligent communist soldiers (you have unlimited ammo)
indy2.jpg

indy1.jpg

How is that game, is it like GTA4 or more like True Crime?

How is that game, is it like GTA4 or more like True Crime?

Never played True Crime so I couldn't say. It is obviously a clone of GTA though. In it's favour I found the car handling, shooting and cover mechanics better than GTA IV and it's very well optimised on PC. Heard some complaints about the mouse control but I use gamepad. The best thing about it is it's melee combat model which makes you feel like a Hong Kong action bad ass. That, and firing a gun from a car isn't a complete pain in the ass.

This is what I don't get (and I say it because you're not the first person I heard that from) - how can you consider the car handling to be better than in GTA IV? In GTA IV the car physics are not as realistic as in racing simulators such as GRID, Forza Motorsport or Dirt, but they are 'believable' - made so that driving is a bit more forgiving than in real life. You feel like you're driving a car, you feel the weight, turning at high speeds makes it lose torque, turning is harder the faster you go etc.

Now in this game, it's like speed barely affects torque - cars are very responsive to turning even at high speeds and skidding is more of an animation than an actual physics-based reaction. It's very arcade'y.

Did you find GTA IVs driving to be too realistic for your taste? Maybe that's it - I myself get little satisfaction out of playing games such as Need for Speed, because of the arcade'y car handling.

Unfocused. TBH I preferred the driving in the GTAIII games than GTAIV. It was more fun. If I want a realistic driving experience I can go outside and drive my real car. In GTA I want physics that allow having a giant police chase to be an affair that isn't mostly about my fighting how awkward it is do such high speed driving in a realistic situation.

Unfocused. TBH I preferred the driving in the GTAIII games than GTAIV. It was more fun. If I want a realistic driving experience I can go outside and drive my real car. In GTA I want physics that allow having a giant police chase to be an affair that isn't mostly about my fighting how awkward it is do such high speed driving in a realistic situation.

You know, I never had a problem with driving in the GTA games. GTA IV seems to have the most realistic driving model of them all, but the rest of them were fine too! The thing is, while driving you always felt like you're doing it within some congruent, fluid physics model.

Now, for some reason, none of the other games of this sub-genre seem to do it right for me. True Crime, Saints Row 3 (only one I played), Just Cause 2 (again), Sleeping Dogs - none of those can achieve the nice driving physics of the GTA games.

You know how in basically all of the 3D GTAs there's this mission type where you have to chase someone but you can't catch them until a certain point in the chase (because there's a scripted event waiting there)? If you get too close to the car you're chasing, it will suddenly accelerate as if defying the laws of physics, or sometimes there will we a scripted event where the car swerves to avoid colliding with a truck toppling over and it will feel fake, because for a second the physics do not apply and the car is 'manually' put on a certain path to play out the event. Driving in the games I mentioned sometimes reminds me of that fakeness.

Maybe I basically need the cars to bounce and skid more, instead of acting like they're on a rail ;)

Honestly GTA4 had my favorite driving mechanics of any open world type game. It was satisfying as **** to pull off a sweet drift and lose the cops opposed to going around a 90 degree bend at 100mph and keeping your speed like all the other GTA's. Saint's Row 1 was good too. Saint's Row 2 shat all over the driving mechanics and actually made the game unplayable to me. I sold it a week after buying it.

I'm definitely with Unfocused when it comes to car handling in open world games. Sleeping Dogs is a great game though and I would rate the driving above Saints Row 3. At least the cars bounce around a bit when you're gunning through bumpy back alleys.

I'd dump some screens but all my Sleeping Dogs screenies come out black :( Dunno what the problem is.

I too much prefer GTA's driving mechanics. I've been playing LA Noire as well, and the driving in that is very satisfying as well, though you dont get much variation. The biggest problem is that they scripted a lot of the driving sequences where the other car you're chasing is pulling off impossible feats, like accelerating at an absurd rate, or making impossibly tight turns at high speeds. I think they tried to do a mix of animation and pathfinding or something, and its just weird any time you catch up to them and they suddenly realize they need to be way ahead of you and they're instantly going like 20mph faster than they were.

Back