Post your latest music tracks/WIP's and comment!

"Distiseptic" is pretty shallow. It's just a drum kit with all the pitch values given a rapid LFO.

Teach me.

I'm in a weird mood. And I really want to make some electronic music.

I don't quite think your "weird mood" is going to last long enough for you to make electronic music. :p

But I'd love to help.

Teach me.

I'm in a weird mood. And I really want to make some electronic music.

Haha, well... Do you have a program?

If not, I'd try FL Studio first. It's user-friendly, easy to get running, and is a pretty good launch pad for just getting familiar with core synth mechanics and general mechanisms in digital music production. But unless your "weird mood" is going to last a few months, you might not be so tempted. Gonna be a while until you start making things that are non-shit. :\

I tried FL Studio a while back, but I couldn't figure out how to work any effects. All I could do was the piano roll. But yeah, I think I really do want to make some, and once I learn that I should be alright :p

I've been trying to write music on guitar for months, but to me, all I've written seems like it might be more fitting of electronica rather than rock. Anyway I'm going out for a while today, but when I get back I'll figure how how to properly work FL Studio. And you guys are pretty awesome so I don't think I'll have any problem getting constructive criticism.

Alright, here's the first track I'm proud of. It's just some drums, piano, bass, and some bell synthesizer. It's also unfinished, which is why it doesn't end very well :p

http://media.putfile.com/Drums-and-Piano-WIP

Apologies for the double-post. Constructive criticism is completely necessary.

Alright, here's the first track I'm proud of. It's just some drums, piano, bass, and some bell synthesizer. It's also unfinished, which is why it doesn't end very well :p

http://media.putfile.com/Drums-and-Piano-WIP

Apologies for the double-post. Constructive criticism is completely necessary.

|:0

That's actually really really good, especially for a beginner.

It's a bit cliche, but still excellent.

@CrazyHarij: The Autechre crowd is a niche market, but I think you nailed it pretty well.

Now here's my experiment with too many percussion elements.

http://media.putfile.com/Omnifarous

^ Cool drum track. I think the bassline, and the crashy kick drum, need some variation. Aside from that it's good \o/

Geogaddi, I'm going to refrain from commenting because frankly I'm not too familiar with that sort of music and I don't really know the ins and outs of it, or what you're trying to achieve.

Does anyone here actually record real instruments?

Perhaps I should have added some power chords, screaming, and a double bass kick that doesn't let up?

I actually like that, Stigmata. Nice arrangement, with just enough variation to be interesting without complicating itself, and the build-up really works. Try to extend the length a bit. False climaxes could be really effective, and don't be afraid to add some solo sections here and there as well.

Geogaddi, I'm going to refrain from commenting because frankly I'm not too familiar with that sort of music and I don't really know the ins and outs of it, or what you're trying to achieve.

Does anyone here actually record real instruments?

also lol at the last part as well.

Also also, lol at Geogaddi.

Also ALSO also, I played around a little bit with the piano track. It now has a proper ending, and I added a couple synths and some very minor melody variation near the end. I'm done with this track for now, at least until I think of something else to do. I'll work on another track soon.

So here it is, my piano track now has a name too: Keepsake. [edit] Because people can't see that Keepsake is linked, http://media.putfile.com/Keepsake :p

I wasn't trying to rip on any kind of music, I just found it funny how this guy comes in and finds nothing but electronic tracks :LOL:

Is it that surprising? You're asking on a game-focused forum where most us (I'm pretty sure) are into this as a hobby. And most are predominantly into producing electronic music. Try asking on a proper music production forum.

I play the guitar but don't record it much, especially not now as my computer doesn't work.

Besides which, it's pretty expensive to buy a good guitar, a good amplifier, and good recording equipment, and then have to practice for months before being able to play anything good enough to be put to tape.

There's usually some sort of hardware latency present whenever you're recording MIDI or sound against a live song. I think all your playing might end up being off by about 8-20ms, though I'd wait for Absinthe or CrazyHarij to comment because I'm basing this off of some pretty shaky anecdotal evidence.

random poop
http://media.putfile.com/derelic7---exe03

chillout with trumpet, sax and piano
http://media.putfile.com/derelic7---high-rise

Okay, maybe you guys can help me out with something. I've noticed that with recording, the speed of the recorded audio will slowly increase as the recording goes for longer. For example, if I record at 100 beats per minute, and then play along to the click, even perfectly, after about a minute of straight recording, maybe longer, I might be half a click off. Naturally this makes it very difficult to record anything with more than one audio track, and also probably means the pitch changes slightly as I go. Is this a hardware or software problem, and do you know if there's any way to correct it? I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy SE, which obviously isn't the best card out there, especially for recording, if that means much.

bad sound card with high latency, audigy SE isn't exactly the hallmark for audio recording. try downloading ASIO4all, it might help a bit but I wouldn't expect it to work flawlessly.

Oh, something else: is the beats per minute count in FL Studio inaccurate? Whenever I try to do something in MIDI and then put it into a program like Audacity or Cool Edit Pro it winds up being way off the click, even if both were set to the same speed.
I think it could be incompatibility between FL and Audacity/CEP

I read about the card and apparently it doesn't have integrated digital signal processing, so it strains the CPU instead. It adds lots of latency and builds up as you record like you say.

Asio4all counters this by bypassing some of the windows digital signal processing (which is essentially garbage), which reduces latency. It should really help you out. I used it with my old audio card in reason, without it I could barely hit a note without latency!

I dunno about the midi thing, I'd guess that the programs use different algorithms for tempo and midi clocking, so it translates differently as you export it.

"Micro-X" by Anasynth

The ol' straightshooting, build-up/dissipate progression. Going through a period where it's difficult coming up with ideas, so I'm resting on composition that's already familiar. No fancy tricks. It's sort of a composite of old tracks I never finished.

Great stuff. Love that melodic percussion. (Or is it percussive melody?)
Nice ending too.

Actually, I got Adobe Audition 2.0 and I'm really happy with it, mostly due to its similarities to Cool Edit Pro. Very easy to use, and though it's not really a professional program, it still works great for what I do. My audio latency issues are completely gone now, which means that my double-tracked stuff actually sounds good.

Dunno if anyone here has any ideas, but I'm trying to get rid of that buzzy distorted guitar sound. I've tried messing around with various EQ settings, reverb, etc. but I can't really avoid my rhythm guitars sounding like buzzsaws. My equipment is garbage of course, but hey, if anyone has any experience with mixing guitars I'd appreciate some help.

Here's a sample so you know what I'm talking about:

http://eric.hosted.luckz.de/audio/a_fair_judgement_new.mp3
I like it, reminds me of Opeth with the smooth, wailing lead.

Here is a little riff I came up with today whilst listening to Slayer and Lair of the Minotaur (WIP obviously and the quality is pretty poor. It is also not for all tastes i.e. those who dislike metal :p).

http://media.putfile.com/Pulse-guitar-sample

@sea Pretty good stuff, I want you to know that I'm just kidding when I say that you are a metal guy with a gut and beard.

@Absinthe Even with basic composition your stuff is extremely creative/original.

@Pulse :|

---

I've decided to do something different and upload and actual WIP. It has some of the elements in place but the melodies and composition are crude or temporary for the most part.

Yes, I realize it has too much reverb and is clipping badly.

http://media.putfile.com/Heliocentric-WIP

I'd really be interested in the members posting their stuff in this topic remixing each other's tracks. The Reason users at least could upload their project files and we could all post up our variations. There would be issues with tracks implementing external hardware, but that can always be compensated for.

I'd be interested in throwing samples into ReCycle and remixing that way.

Absinthe: I liked it as usual. The beginning reminded me of ROY4L, if you've ever heard his stuff. He makes YTMND with custom music... I believe he still does, I haven't been to YTMND in months.

Geo: Great start, I'm liking it already. Cool to see an actual WIP, and I'm looking forward to watching it grow.

I want to make music, I just feel it's just a guessing game. I get in FL and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've looked at countless tutorials and I feel as if everything is by luck. Then I get depressed/discouraged and close the program. I dunno. :\

I'm remixing Micro-X with the help of ReCycle, it's going quite well :D

Haha! Well it's sparse enough, so I guess it would be difficult for it to get too muddied up. I'll upload the .rsn file if you want. Then you can turn it into a proper DnB-Acid-House-Breakcore-Shoe bitch or whatever.

Qonfy, if it's any comfort, that's pretty much how I started out: Not knowing a god damn thing. Just randomly noodling about in FL. I only played by ear with the instruments. I didn't even have a properly... "acquired" copy, so I couldn't even save my projects to work on later. If I didn't make something in the course of a few hours, it was pretty much gone. The only reason I kept on working at it was because despite my annoyances, I just found it fascinating. So it depends if you have the "drive" for it. Whether you do or not is up for you to decide. =P

Personally, I've never come across a good FL tutorial. Official or user-made. The only time I really started acquainting myself with the mechanics of subtractive synthesis and the like was when I began reading the Reason manual, and even then there was a fairly steep transition when getting used to the program's sequencer. I generally suggest starting out with FL first because I think it's good for simply nailing down the basics and practicing composition. But if you want software that visually just makes sense instead of relying on abstraction, you might want just want to give Reason a shot instead. Besides, now is a better time than ever with the fourth version imminent.

Heh well this was fun. Didn't spend too much time on it, and it's kind of short. I like it through, it sounds neat.

http://media.putfile.com/Micro-X-897th-Mix

I agree with you Absinthe about Reason and FL. Reason make so much more sense than FL once you learn it.

Damn, I really liked that!

Thus I further support the idea of people remixing each other's tracks.

Vegeta was explaining how Reason has "reason" to its methods (oh lawd) one night. I'll give it a shot.

Visually, everything is a logical progression. You can check out the Propellerheads site where you can see it all. It essentially functions like an actual hardware rack with Audio and CV cords connecting all the instruments, effects, mixers, whatever. For instance, if you wanted to give an instrument a reverb effect, you would literally just route the instrument's audio output into one of the Reverb devices, then routing the effect's audio output to the mixer. Alternatively, you could hook up the effect devices to the mixer as send effects, allowing you to send the effect processes to each individual instrument hooked up to the mixer via a few knobs in each mixer column.

If you don't understand that, it will quickly make sense once you just look at it.

A loop i've been toying around with. The bass line cuts out after maybe 30 seconds, and the rest of the whole thing is just the drum line looping :p

http://media.putfile.com/evo-jazzy-thing

I can't think of how to spruce up the bass, or a melody that could drive it. Didn't want to touch the bass because I was scared i'd just end up with something overly complicated and useless

http://media.putfile.com/HeliocentricWIP2

Still rough around the edges, contains many slip ups, and not the good kind.

Pretty much the whole solo was made up on the spot.

Needs a MAJOR boost in the thickness department. I like the general gist of it though :)

Well, in keeping with my initial proposition, I decided to upload a .rsn file. I started this about a week ago and eventually ended up not figuring out what to do with it. At the most, I may implement some of its features in another track. In the meantime, whatever. I figured maybe one or two of you guys could figure out something interesting to do with it. It's simple and there's no fancy modulation stuff, so you don't need to worry if you're not into the elaborate Combi stuff. Maybe later people could start sharing any crazy effect chains they have. DSP is the spice of music making, after all.

Reason file on Wikiupload

"Quietus" render by Anasynth

After having my wisdom teeth pulled today and pretty much being left to my own at home with a bunch of painkillers, I've got time to kill. So I'll compile a collection of REX breaks I use and upload them. I remember offering to do this a while ago, but for some reason never got around to it. A bunch of classics, some obscure ones, and probably around five versions of the "Think" break. I considered picking a track that's been posted here already and doing a remix similar to Vegeta's, but I've felt pretty dead since surgery, so maybe another time.

Recently, I've been hearing a lot of glitch influence in your works, Absinthe. Intentional?

Back