Prey Demo June 22!

It might make a difference for me though! I know this is supposed to be so different and I am really glad that I'll have a chance to make up my own mind before having to purchase. Looks great and if it is as good as they say it is, then this will be a real treat!

Yeah, I`m sure if the demo turns out to be guff it`ll be making a difference to you. :p

I`ve yet to be convinced that there is anything other than gimmicks to the gameplay, and a demo could well help me find out.

5 levels? :O

Thats like a whole shareware episode! I plan on buying it anyway, but still I can't wait to play.

Scott Miller thinks the demo will make a lot of differance to most poeple:
Pag and all, the problem with Prey is similar to the one Tivo has. It's hard for the marketing people at Tivo to clearly distill why you need one of their boxes...yet!...when you've had one, you can NEVER go back. Now, I'm not saying Prey is as important as Tivo, but it has the same fundamental problem: It's a game that comes off sounding like every FPS before it, UNTIL you've played it. Even watching the videos of the game in full glory will not convey to you why this game is truly something different, just as watch Tivo in action is not the same as finally owning it yourself, and coming to realize what a change it is.

That's why we're releasing a demo of Prey before the game comes out, and I feel very strongly that the demo will be our most important marketing tool for the game, by a long shot.

Max Payne had a similar problem -- it was hard to get across just how cool bullet-time was in screen shots and in videos. It takes playing the game to really get it.

So, we accept the Doom 3 comparisons for now, but no one who has played the game -- including all of the press (the game has 20 covers worldwide) -- has left the game thinking it was anything short of amazing.

Also, the game is not without some flaws, just as Duke 3D and Max Payne had flaws. We can never achieve perfection. Getting close is all we can hope for. I expect Prey to average around 88-92 in review scores, and that's about where Max Payne was. As good as it is, it's still just an FPS, and so it'll never score where the truly revolutionary games score, in the mid to upper 90's.

BTW, check out http://www.3drealms.com (top story, Prey Diary #15). We've announced that the new Prey trailer will go live on IGN in less than an hour (8pm PST).
Source is a comment he made on his blog on this article:
http://dukenukem.typepad.com/game_matters/2006/04/the_big_crunch.html

Excellent! I've been really excited about this game and I planned on buying it asap, but I'm glad there will be a demo just in case the game sucks.

My problem isn't whether the game will suck or not but whether I can run it. Hopefully the specs aren't too far off those of Doom 3.

I'm getting this for the 360 no matter what people say aboutit. I love the setting and art-direction.

Everything I've seen on it so far looks pretty frekin sweat. Early screen-shots looked like a carbon copy of doom 3, but it clearly just has a few similarities, but beyond that, it is an entirely different game.

The E3 game-play is saw looked unique and really really good. There are some areas with like no gravity and some other phsychotic episodes for you character where the walls become the floor and shit. This kind of trick is rare in a game.

They already said the game should score about 89%-92%, it looks like a 89% or better, just from the little bit I saw.

89% and up is a must-have when it is my kind of game. If my terrible PC can get a playable frame-rate on the demo, I will pick up this game..

Which reminds me, I need to pick up RE4 for PC, but I've got some work to do before-hand...

Yeesh, June 22nd?

That is quite a ways away.

xlucidx said:
Yeesh, June 22nd?

That is quite a ways away.
About one month from today (May 19).

Considering that this game pretty much came out of the blue and it's already about to drop a demo, that's pretty good. I won't mention names, but some games take countless years to release. :O

If I'm not mistaken, Prey has actually been in development for a quite a few years. Some people were even calling it vaporware for a while. Good thing it's apparently beyond the "let's delay it to change engines" stage judging by the upcoming demo news. And the demo will be 5 levels plus multiplayer, if those levels are about Doom 3 length it will be one hell of a demo.

ElFuhrer said:
If I'm not mistaken, Prey has actually been in development for a quite a few years. Some people were even calling it vaporware for a while. Good thing it's apparently beyond the "let's delay it to change engines" stage judging by the upcoming demo news. And the demo will be 5 levels plus multiplayer, if those levels are about Doom 3 length it will be one hell of a demo.
Really? I don't remember ever hearing about it until about 7 months ago - about the time the 360 was coming out. I was researching to see what games would be coming out for it.

Speaking of Doom and demos, man those were the good old days when the Shareware version of Doom [1] comprised a full 'campaign' - I think they called it.. anyhow, it was like 9 levels! :D That was great when I was a kid, since I never had any money ( not much has changed :frown: ). I loved that game.:)

5 levels will give a good idea of what the game will be like. Most demos these days aren't even worth downloading.

It started development in 1995 actually, to learn about its long, difficult and interesting history, and see what the old Prey looked like, visit this page:
http://www.apogeegames.com/prey/ (Read the history, then watch The Infinite MHz 1998 video, as it shows off the best of the old version.)
This guy was also pretty much the first guy to figure out that it was being resurrected.

According to the new Gamespot preview of the demo, it will be up on wednesday 21:00 PST US (thursday 05:00 Irish / British, 06:00 Euro, 14:00 EST Oz). There will also be two mp levels included. I call a HL2.net match. Just find an empty server and claim it.

Sounds like the demo actually has some content for a change

Nice bump. The hour draws near. I hope this game runs on my PC ;(

Can't wait! :D
If you could run Doom 3, on low/medium... I'm sure you can run this game just fine. n.n

I am definetly checking the demo out on the 360. I will probably buy it for that, too.

I hope the multiplayer is good.

I'll give this a download and see what all the fuss is about. I know hardly anything about this :)

As my father always used to say:

..........*speachless and stunned*

19990423h.jpg

Check out the milk carton in the fridge. :D
And this comic is from 1999.

Old school PA. n.n

It's quite a shocker that Prey is actually going to see the light of day. :D

It's got system req similar to those of Doom 3? Nice.:)

i can wait for this demo ive been anticipating this game for awhile

Great, I've been following this game for a while. You reckon the demo will be on xbox live?

Jangle said:
Great, I've been following this game for a while. You reckon the demo will be on xbox live?
Yes. They already said it will be.

The gameplay movie looks great. The SP game is real short though so find something else to play the next day if you're not into MP :)

Jangle said:

O, I've been sigged; my life has been officially fulfilled. <3 Jangle

Demo's coming out on my Biology exam date, pfffft. Mm, compromise.

I want it now, god damn it.
Somebody leak it plzthx

CR0M said:
The gameplay movie looks great. The SP game is real short though so find something else to play the next day if you're not into MP :)

Please state the source from the creators or someone that actually played the game that its short.

:/

Oh and for those wondering if the game will run for you...
Clickeh!... I'm not really sure as to HOW accurate it is... but most of the games that I've got based off of this thingy, have run fairly well. n.n

Back